South Africa in Australia 2012-13

Quiney sees his window narrowing

Brydon Coverdale

November 17, 2012

Rob Quiney bowled six overs on his first day in Test cricket, Australia v South Africa, 1st Test, Brisbane, 1st day, November 9, 2012
Rob Quiney contributed to Australia's strong showing at the Gabba, but only runs off his own bat will determine whether he remains in the Test team © Getty Images
News : Watson return clouds Warner's future
Players/Officials: Rob Quiney
Series/Tournaments: South Africa tour of Australia
Teams: Australia

A week after he made what the coach Mickey Arthur joked was the best 9 he had ever seen, Rob Quiney knows that another low score in the Adelaide Test will be no laughing matter. Quiney kept his place in Australia's squad for the second Test against South Africa, which begins on Thursday, and his chances of playing appear strong, with Shane Watson facing a difficult challenge to prove his fitness in time.

On debut at the Gabba, Quiney got off the mark in Test cricket by pulling Dale Steyn through midwicket from his first ball and he appeared confident throughout his short stay. After the game, Arthur said light-heartedly that Quiney's innings was the best 9 he had ever seen, and he added that Quiney had offered much in the dressing room and did not look out of depth at Test level.

Should he play in Adelaide, Quiney knows that he must show the kind of skill that brought him to Test level if he is to stay ahead of others such as Usman Khawaja in the national queue. The list of Australia's Test cricketers abounds with men who were only given one chance in the baggy green - including his Victoria team-mates Chris Rogers, Clint McKay and Bryce McGain - and Quiney is well aware that two lean matches could spell the end of his Test dreams.

"I'd rather make a scratchy fifty than a good nine," Quiney told reporters in Melbourne on Saturday. "I see this little window as being little. If I can get a score on the board and show that I can get runs at that level, it's going to help me out in the future. If I don't, the depth of the batting is getting better and better and people are scoring runs at Shield level and one-day level and they're doing a job. It's good healthy competition in the Australian setup."

Not that Quiney failed to contribute to Australia's strong showing at the Gabba. He took three catches, including two very sharp takes at gully, and bowled 11 overs of medium pace that conceded only 13 runs. Remarkably, he has the best economy rate of any player who has bowled at least ten overs for Australia in Test cricket, but Quiney knows that only runs off his own bat will determine whether he remains a Test cricketer.

"With the bat I was a little bit disappointed," he said. "My job is to make runs and I didn't make runs ... it can turn around pretty quickly. I've only had one innings in Test match cricket. If I get another couple of innings, hopefully I can turn that around and score some runs for the side and help out to contribute to a win."

For the time being, all Quiney can do is wait and see whether he will be given another opportunity in Adelaide, or if he is squeezed out to accommodate the return of Watson, Australia's vice-captain. Watson, who missed the first Test due to a calf injury, was named in a 13-man squad on Friday but he will only be considered if he is able contribute with the ball.

"It's a good limbo," Quiney said. "I'd rather be in this limbo than not being in the mix at all. If Shane gets fit, it's going to be beneficial for the team ... but if he doesn't get up and he's still unfit, I feel like the last Test was a bit of a dream and I've got a job to do now. If I do get the chance I've just got to knuckle down and get some runs."

Brydon Coverdale is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo. He tweets here

RSS Feeds: Brydon Coverdale

Posted by   on (November 19, 2012, 18:19 GMT)

Quiney looked the part on test debut, he wore whites and even held the bat by the narrow end. And definitely would have scored more runs if he hadn't got out, so that went against him. Definitely, with people like Ponting in the team he should get enough guidance on how to play long innings like the one Ponting played in the Brisbane test. And not to forget his wonderful record in unarguably the best domestic cricket system in the world, which has world class groundsmen oops spinners like Nathan Lyon and terrifyingly innocuous fast bowlers like Hilfenhaus. He has a bright future ahead of him, no doubt. Best of luck!

Posted by Meety on (November 18, 2012, 23:23 GMT)

@Ian Wood - good point & what happenned to The Don after the first Test?- he was 12th man! @ ross_fleming on (November 18 2012, 12:33 PM GMT) - re: running between wickets. Bear in mind Bailey has NOT made his test debut though! So maybe it is something he has been told to work on????? @Macca_mat on (November 18 2012, 10:29 AM GMT) - all that analysis I did was confirm what most people had suspected - that Khawaja's runs have been "worth" more than sheer stats would suggest. I will be hoping he cashes in on good batting strips to really put an exclamation mark on his season! @Sam Matthews - agreed. I don't think he made the most of his chances & needed to use his dropping as a form of motivation. I think initially he failed in that respect (i.e last year sulked). Since Inverarity's statement, (maybe before hand but more obviously post), Ussie has taken it on the chin & worked thru the areas that he has needed to.

Posted by   on (November 18, 2012, 18:26 GMT)

Khawaja is the best batsman in Australia. He is being a denied a test place because he lacked that Team spirit and affinity. Over the years Australia have been successful because of dressing room environment and Khawaja needed to fit in. I am certain he is trying his best, however, it is not easy for 1st generation immigrant. He should take tips from Imran Tahir. He certainly deserves a place in Australian Test team.

Posted by   on (November 18, 2012, 16:52 GMT)

@Edwards_A. Yeah you won't get arguments from me mate. I am not Khawaja-bashing. I am coming into this fully informed and I know he is the most deserving of being top of the queue for next spot in the side. I have just been trying to explain to the people with Khawaja-fervour that he was not treated unfairly at all. He got 6 tests and consistently failed (at crucial moments I might add) which resulted in his axing (just like Hayden, Clarke, any-number of greats). He has ticked all the boxes and is back in contention, but he WAS NOT treated unfairly.

If you want unfair look no further than Brad Hodge. Or even MORE unfair: David Hussey - first class career average of 55, like 41 centuries, but NEVER came into contention. These days if you average over 30 you are in contention. He is the best player in the history of cricket never to play a test match.

Posted by KhanMitch on (November 18, 2012, 12:33 GMT)

@Meety what you are saying amkes sense, I think if you watch him in the Ryobi games you will see that Khawaja is also looking for an extra run when at the non-strikers end and think about what i said earlier about Bailey. Bailey has been involved in run outs 36 times whereas Khawaja hasn't been involved even a third of that yet he gets picked on, where is the fairness there.

Posted by Edwards_Anderson on (November 18, 2012, 12:29 GMT)

@Ssriaj317 agree with you bud.

Posted by Mary_786 on (November 18, 2012, 12:15 GMT)

@Hyclass we are in agreement for once. Well said, I also think Khawaja is doing great and should be back soon. Also wish Quiney well for the second test and hope he contributes towards a big win for Aus.

Posted by   on (November 18, 2012, 11:10 GMT)

Every top batsman Aust has producedhave been dropped early in their career. Recently Ponting, Clarke, Hayden & langer included were all dropped. While no where near the same league but what was Bradmans 1st test scores?

Posted by Sunil_Batra on (November 18, 2012, 10:58 GMT)

@Ross_fleming very good comments on Bailey getting run out 36 times vs Khawaja who has hardly got run out. Watching Khawaja in the games on tv and through streams, it is showing that he is working hard on the feedback given to him and that's all can be asked.

Posted by Paul_Rampley on (November 18, 2012, 10:54 GMT)

@MattyLeeC i think all the guy including myself who are favorably commenting on Khawaja agree that Quiney deserves his chance, no one is questioning his skill and the fact he deserves a chance. Like you said the only point is that there are others like Khawaja, Doolan and Hughes pushing for spots which is fantastic for Aus batting and which should excite all Aus fans.

Posted by Paul_Rampley on (November 18, 2012, 10:52 GMT)

@Sam Matthews I am also a fan of Marsh, but the fact is that he got a full series against India(4 games in a row) on good batting tracks in Melbourne, Adelaide, Sydney and he failed which is why he was taken out. Khawaja had a highest score in a record 300 chase and then got run out on 40 in the next game and then got dropped the game after as we lost to NZ and he was unfortuantely caught in the harsh decisions made. The facts are that he is the leading shield batsman this year, in the top 3 Ryobi batsman, has 3 man of the matches in his last 3 outings and outscored Tasmania on his own on a deck which Lehman rated as the best innings he has seen. Sure he has improvements to make and he is working on that and that's all can be asked of him, the attitude is there and he is doing what every batsman needs to do which is to score.

Posted by hycIass on (November 18, 2012, 10:34 GMT)

@HatsforBat and @Ssriaj317 well said on Khawaja mate, he desrves to be there and i think will get there soon. @AndyHicks Khawaja has improved his fielding significantly and you should see the replays of his catches against South Australia and Victoria in the Ryobi cup games and then make your comments. His running between the wickets looks good as well. @Ross_fleming very interesting fact mate, I checked your statement on Bailey being involved in run outs 36 times yet Khawaja doesn't even have double digits in that area yet he is picked on, not sure what's going on there, will let the other readers make thier judgements.

Posted by Mary_786 on (November 18, 2012, 10:29 GMT)

@Meety well said mate, i saw your analysis and it was good, showing Khawaja has been doing very well compared to the other state players. Like you said he is starting to tick the boxes that the selectors gave him and you are right about the average, 60 would be good to see from him and i think he will get there soon. Classy left hander.

Posted by   on (November 18, 2012, 2:08 GMT)

@Meety. Yeah no doubt mate, based on form and numbers he should definitely be next in line. My whole point in this thread is that people are so blind to the fact that he had a significant chance already and failed quite miserably which is why he was dropped. From the stuff people say it is like he scored several centuries and averaged 90 before he was dropped.

Posted by PFEL on (November 18, 2012, 1:37 GMT)

Sure khawaja is the leading run-scorer in the shield this year, but maybe Quiney would have been if he hadn't missed games to play for Aus A and Aus while Khawaja was bullying the state attacks

Posted by Meety on (November 17, 2012, 22:55 GMT)

@Edwards_A on (November 17 2012, 12:41 PM GMT) - mate - it's a different HycIass versus Hyclass!!!!

Posted by Meety on (November 17, 2012, 22:54 GMT)

@ross_fleming on (November 17 2012, 12:52 PM GMT) - just bear in mind that the issue involving running between wicket was about supporting the other batsmen. In the partnerships Pup was involved in at the Gabba - he was always looking for an extra run when at the non-strikers end, so too was Cowan - but unfortunately too much! @Sam Matthews - I have been surprised about how much fervour there is for Khawaja. I think he is due another crack at the Baggy Green very soon, he appears to be ticking the boxes that the NSP have laid down for him. I would prefer he be averaging closer to 60 this year, but I did an analysis on him a week or so ago (after the ton @ Hobart), which showed that in the games he played in he was basically twice as good as his teammates & opposition. Which gives a bit more context to his reasonable Shield ave this year. I have watched some streams of innings he's played & heard/read comments from experts that say he looks the goods. IMO - SUGGESTS he's ready?????

Posted by HatsforBats on (November 17, 2012, 22:13 GMT)

@Sam Matthews, the role of the player is irrelevant. If a player is deemed good enough for the test team then they deserve a lengthy opportunity to prove it. Khawaja was not given that chance even after showing improvement and plenty of talent. Marsh is a bad example, with a FC average in the 30's he should never have been selected.

Posted by srriaj317 on (November 17, 2012, 21:23 GMT)

@Sam Matthews: Blind favoritism? That was just the 2nd comment I have made all season about Khawaja. And even I was frustrated by his inconsistency and lack of bite on the field in the previous season. My point is - yes, Rob Quiney deserves his chance based on his last 2 seasons but if that was the best 9 runs Mickey Arthur has seen, the NSP is the bunch of guys with blind favoritism. If Watson can't bowl, I would still have Quiney in the side as he is still the better bat. My point is other batters in the country didn't get the same amount of support as Cowan or now Quiney.

Posted by Bonehead_maz on (November 17, 2012, 20:48 GMT)

I think the selectors are doing a great job keeping everyone on their toes. I wonder how much thought they've given to Maxwell, if this is typical Adelaide test wicket ? Not saying I'd pick him, but he'been going ok and been around set up a bit.

Posted by rickyvoncanterbury on (November 17, 2012, 20:16 GMT)

@SurlyCynic on (November 17 2012, 13:38 PM GMT) Yes mate, the mighty have fallen to one test win away from number 1 again. if you want to see the mighty that have fallen go and watch India v England.

Posted by Ozcricketwriter on (November 17, 2012, 17:19 GMT)

You need extra bowlers in Adelaide, where batting is easy. If Watson plays, they can try 4 other bowlers, with Lyon and Hilfenhaus fighting for the last spot (hopefully). If Watson doesn't, Quiney should be left out too, as they go in with 5 bowlers. I am sure that Mitchell Starc can score 9 the same as Quiney; but can bowl a whole lot better.

Posted by blink182alex on (November 17, 2012, 13:57 GMT)

I doubt Watson will be fit for Adelaide so reckon they'll go with the same batting line up. You need some consistency in selection, Warner and Cowan both average just under 50 in tests in Australia so they both stay in the side for me. Watson is a better cricketer than Quiney so when Watson's fit he plays, Quiney at least has the chance to put a bit or pressure on the others by making a big score, or at least make sure he's first reserve if one was to drop out.

Posted by SurlyCynic on (November 17, 2012, 13:38 GMT)

A 'good nine' for Quiney, and another duck for the elderly Ponting. Yet after the home draw against 10 man SA there is so much big talk coming out of the Aus camp and their fans on here. How the mighty have fallen.

Posted by   on (November 17, 2012, 13:04 GMT)

@HycIass. Khawaja a good fielder? I think he is a terrible fielder and until he can improve in this area he shouldn't be near the test side. Australia's batting lineup have traditionally been very good fielders and he's not up to that standard. As for Quiney, he deserves his chance and I hope he plays in Adelaide and does well. State cricketer of the year last year after all, and an excellent fielder too.

Posted by KhanMitch on (November 17, 2012, 12:52 GMT)

Another interesting fact, I heard from the commentators in the Ryobi game between Tas vs Qld that Bailey has been involved in run outs 36 times after he got Doolan run out but interesting selectors have no issues with his running between the wickets, yet Khawaja who has been involved in hardly any run outs has that issue, food for thought. Good thing is that at least this year people are seeing how well he runs between wickets and is being acknowledg by the likes of Border, Waugh and Arthur

Posted by Paul_Rampley on (November 17, 2012, 12:41 GMT)

@Hyclass good to see ou acknowledge good innings from Khawaja and Doolan and I agree they are not too far from their callus but you are a bit harsh on Quiney, give him at least one more game mate and be a bit more positive, you were negative against Khawaja and Hughes early in the season and they have proven you wrong, give Quiney the same chance

Posted by   on (November 17, 2012, 12:37 GMT)

@Hatsforbats. Steve Waugh began his career at number 6 as an all-rounder. Even still, his average and top score were better than Khawaja. I know perfectly well that statistically Khawaja is the best that we have in our domestic competitions and quite frankly that scares me.

@Bobogarof. There is so much bias and favouritism for Khawaja. Marsh came into the side and got a century (or was it 2?) as well as an 80-odd, but after a string of nothings he was dumped and nobody cares about him. It is so cringe-worthy reading these comment threads because all there ever is is blind favouritism.

Posted by MattyLeeC on (November 17, 2012, 12:23 GMT)

Everyone seems to be forgetting Quiney was leading run scorer last year in the shield and shield player of the year. He has earned his spot. He has also started well this year. Like a few people have said you need to give players a decent chance to get into it and not sack them after 1 or 2 tests. Steve Waugh was a great example of this. Sure Khawaja, Hughes and Doolan are breathing right down his neck but that can only be good for the whole squad to have that competition for spots.

Posted by Lantern44 on (November 17, 2012, 12:10 GMT)

All the current focus is on the batsmen. What about Ben Hilfenhaus. He was the best Australian test bowler during the last two series. Against India this year he was the best test bower with an average 17.22 and he was also the best Australian test bowler against the West Indies this year with an average of 20.80. Yet after one test against South Africa everyone wants to drop him. There is no loyalty in Australian Test Cricket. If your face doesn't fit regardless of you effort your gone.

Posted by Paul_Rampley on (November 17, 2012, 12:07 GMT)

I wish Quiney well as he seems like a good bloke and good batsman from what I have seen in shield, long term Khawaja must come in, there are not too any better top order batsman then him, we all know that he is the best shield batsman this year but it's the pitches he has scored on and the quality attacks he has dominated which is showing how well suited his technique is for the top level, against Tasmania he scored 138 with Tasmania getting 95 and 140 which included Doolan, Cossie, and Bailey and a innings which Boof rated as the best he has seen in his time, that's no small compliment

Posted by Sunil_Batra on (November 17, 2012, 11:59 GMT)

@HatsforBat and @Ross_Fleming well put comments on Khawaja, he hardly got 2 games at one time to prove himself and got 80 against Steyn and Morkel in a record chase but was dropped thereafter. I like to focus on the positive and I think Quiney deserves another match to show his batting but in the background it's great to see Khawaja lead the shield batting this year and the likes of Border, Waugh, Fleming have him as the next batsman in the Queue as he is scoring and looks much improved with his fielding and attitude under Boof in Queensland. I watched his 80 against Tasmania in the one dayer and he looked a class above the other batsman. Aus batting stocks are looking good with Khawaja, Doolan, Burns and Hughes scoring

Posted by hycIass on (November 17, 2012, 11:47 GMT)

Quincey failed by getting a 9 where he would have been out for 2had there been a 3rd slip, his bowling was ordinary and he doesn't even bowl for Victoria, but wait he has done something impressive in the dressing room, talk about playing favourites with selection. Doolan and Khawaja are the best 2players in Shield and should be bought in, both have scored in tough conditions. in Khawajas case his fielding and running look very good as well from what I can see in the Ryobi games and I watched his innings against Tasmania and Lehman correctly called it the best shield innings he has seen. doolan he reminds me of Mark Waugh

Posted by KhanMitch on (November 17, 2012, 11:39 GMT)

@srriaj317 I agree with you mate on Khawaja, he got 1 game in Sri Lanka, top scored in South Africa in a record chase and then got runout by Punter on 40, next game he was dropped when he didn't deserve it, he didn't even get 3 games in a row to prove himself. Saying that he is leading shield scorer this year and his running and fielding looks sharp under the guidance of Lehman, so all signs are looking good and Arthur suggested the same after his brilliant innings against Tas when he out scored their entire team on his own.

Posted by HatsforBats on (November 17, 2012, 11:32 GMT)

@ Sam Matthews, after SIX tests Steve Waugh had SEVEN scores under 10 and a highest of 74. What had Khawaja done? Not much, but he did get the highest 2nd innings score chasing over 300 in Johannesburg. As one of the most talented and promising batsmen in the country some might think he deserved more time.

Posted by Lantern44 on (November 17, 2012, 11:08 GMT)

I have to agree with Andross. I feel that the selectors are always thinking that there is someone better around the corner or the current players aren't trying hard enough. With the obvious exception for "experienced" players eg. Ponting. However, their biggest fault is thinking that someone lucky in 20/20 or the one day game can play test criket. As a famous West Indies retired cricketer stated, I won't commentate 20/20 for the BBC because it is not real cricket.

Posted by bobagorof on (November 17, 2012, 10:21 GMT)

@Sam Matthews: Simple - Khawaja was just finding his feet after being in and out of the side. He'd scored 65 against South Africa and was on his way to another 50 against New Zealand when he was run out by Ponting. His average and strike rate were improving, until his last match, and then he was dropped. True, he's not had a massive start to his Test career but he's also been shuffled up and down the order and has hardly had 2 matches in a row.

Posted by Andross on (November 17, 2012, 9:54 GMT)

For heavens sake, he's played ONE innings and people are righting him off?! Not everyone can start off their test career with four centuries like Mr Cricket did, we've seen it time and time again since Hayden, Langer, Warne & Mcgrath left, players come in, have one or two tests if they're lucky, and then vanish back into obscurity. I ask myself, why do they get picked if they're not up to the job, and if they are up to the job, why do they get dropped so quickly after not performing in one or two tests when the more established players in the side get chance after chance (I refer particularly to Martin a few years back who was carried for years without making more than the very rare score over forty)? I didn't see Quiney bat so I can't make a comment about him specifically but I'd hate for him to get dropped after just one show, like so many others like Krezjer, Khawaja & so on.

Posted by VivGilchrist on (November 17, 2012, 9:40 GMT)

Am I misunderstanding something.... Did Quiney scored 9 or 109?

Posted by   on (November 17, 2012, 9:30 GMT)

@srriaj317. How on Earth can you possibly think Khawaja was treated unfairly? He got SIX whole tests. That is more than most people ever get if they fail consistently like him. He was a number 3 which is arguably the most important batsman and he averaged below 30 from 11 walks to the crease. He showed that he constantly crumbles under the pressure of test match cricket in situations where he was desperately needed. He was subsequently dropped for his poor performances. So I ask again, how exactly was he treated unfairly?

Posted by HatsforBats on (November 17, 2012, 9:29 GMT)

@ jeauxx, fair enough on the 75, but the overhead waft for a duck was pretty shaky no?

Posted by srriaj317 on (November 17, 2012, 9:01 GMT)

I'm not sure if Mickey Arthur watched Khawaja's debut innings in the last Sydney Ashes test. First ball clipped off the legs for 2 and next ball pulled emphatically for 4. Surely that's got to be a better debut innings than Quiney's where he nicked his 2nd ball for 4? Nothing against Quiney but I feel Khawaja is being treated unfairly by the NSP as his showings over the last 12 months indicate.

Posted by Lantern44 on (November 17, 2012, 8:06 GMT)

Quiney has a bowling average equal to the worst Australia has ever produced which is zero test wickets. With a batting average of 9 he should be dropped from the Australian test team until he understands the difference between 20/20 cricket and test cricket. Ponting should retire, other better performing batsman such as Matthew Hayden were forced out with a much better average. If he wasn't an ex-captain and good mate of the selectors and the captain, unlike Katich, he would have been gone long ago. He is an embarrassement to himself and Australia. Also if Clarke is a great batsman why isn't he batting a No. 3 instead of hiding down the order at 5. Everyone else has to face a fairly new ball except him.

Posted by Artiebees on (November 17, 2012, 7:58 GMT)

Have to agree with the general consensus, Quiney and Cowan would be well suited as the opening pair, imo Clarke should be the anchor at no3, he has the right temperament for it and he essentially played that role in Brisbane as Ponting was out in the blink of an eye and we know how that went. Warner should be the no5 for now who smashes out the late runs to extend the lead.

Posted by Meety on (November 17, 2012, 7:53 GMT)

@Biggus on (November 17 2012, 06:26 AM GMT) - the funny thing about THAT shot for me, was that I actually didn't see it LIVE the first time - I heard it! My darling better half was asking to move my preverbial & I was looking down at the time of the delivery. I heard the CRACK (as in noise), & looked up & saw where the Saffas slipsmen were looking, & saw Steyn lobbing the ball up in the air! I reprimanded the missus, & watched the replay on the screen! The fact is though, it sounded sweet, & the reality is, a shade either side of Steyn he wouldn't of got it. I think he should keep it for Adelaide - as the way he has a go, a misshit could clear the ropes comfortably!

Posted by jeauxx on (November 17, 2012, 7:47 GMT)

@HatsforBats - Hughes' shaky debut? A guy could do a lot worse than 0 and 75.

Posted by Meety on (November 17, 2012, 7:46 GMT)

@HatsforBats on (November 17 2012, 04:26 AM GMT) - yes, although his first 2 balls were dealt with pretty well! LOL! @Gilly4ever on (November 17 2012, 05:04 AM GMT) - Dan Christian is a great but unfulfilled talent (as yet). If Christian was selected in the Oz top 7 it would be an embarrassment! His bowling is not good enuff to get him consideration. Mitchell Marsh is the same, although a better bowler, I'd consider Maxwell as a player that could hold a place in the top 6, & consider his bowling to be improving but only at the useful stage atm! As for Faulkner, he is different, he is a bowler who bats, IMO the question is which bowler do you drop for him. Butterworth is a better short term bet than him, & I'd consider Henriques & O'Keefe long before Christian & Marsh thats for sure, (ODIs & T20s are a different matter)! @whitesXI on (November 17 2012, 05:30 AM GMT) - fine, but I still feel conflicted about what he did. I am sure he WOULD do it again at Adelaide!

Posted by mamboman on (November 17, 2012, 7:09 GMT)

Quiney has genuine character, which is a rare quality in world cricket today. he just adds depth to the mix for Australia and deserves whatever chances he gets.

Posted by TommytuckerSaffa on (November 17, 2012, 7:07 GMT)

Was not impressed with Quiney at all and its no wonder he has a flakey FC average. On Debut playing a shot a ball - not what you need from a no.3

Posted by   on (November 17, 2012, 6:30 GMT)

Sorry Lockyer, didn't read your post properly about Quiney opening. I agree entirely.

Posted by   on (November 17, 2012, 6:29 GMT)

I agree Lockyer, but I wouldn't have Watson as an opener at all. I think Quiney and Cowan should open, Clarke at three, Ponting, Hussey, Watson (if fit), Wade then the bowlers. If Watson is not fit, pick both Starc and Hilfenhaus for the extra bowling attack. If Ponting fails and decides to retire, bring Kawaja back - he's in top form and have him batting four or five.

Posted by Biggus on (November 17, 2012, 6:26 GMT)

@Meety-He did indeed nail that shot, and I'm sure he's kicking himself enough without our help, but I wouldn't want to see him putting it away completely, just waiting a little longer until he's really seeing it. He plays the hook in a most attractive fashion and the aesthete in me wants to see more of it.

Posted by HawK89 on (November 17, 2012, 6:14 GMT)

I wouldn't even consider Watson for this series. Let him fully recover, play the few tours before the next Ashes. Rush him early again, he will be rushing to get injury free again for when the Ashes arrives.

Posted by   on (November 17, 2012, 6:11 GMT)

This is the best 9 that Arthur has ever seen? If I remember right, Quiney played a nice hook shot for 2 as his first scoring stroke, the next was an edged biundary through the vacant 3rd-4th slip cordon and followed by a few plays and misses. If Arthusr is trying to motivate a new player its alright, but that was the best 9 he has ever seen?

Posted by Meety on (November 17, 2012, 6:04 GMT)

@LockyerValley on (November 17 2012, 03:47 AM GMT) - I'd agree if Quinney got 109 & not 9. Warner has credit in the bank I would think & Quinney has yet to do enuff to dislodge him IMO!!!!

Posted by whitesXI on (November 17, 2012, 5:30 GMT)

@Meety - for a first test, THAT shot as u refer to it was a great example of confidence and ability against supposedly the best attack in world cricket. As for luck vs judgement I'd say Clarke had quite a few things go his way at the crease and went on to make yet another 250, sometimes u get the early chance sometimes your walking back hitting yourself on the head. @LockyerValley - what about the man who made a duck? No-one wants to see Ponting leave cricket on a low note but he seems to refuse the idea of walking away on his own accord. Let's face it, if it was anyone other than Ponting, in any other professional sport, he would have been tapped on the shoulder long ago

Posted by Ozcricketwriter on (November 17, 2012, 5:04 GMT)

Quiney should not have been in the side in the first place. Australia needed an all-rounder, and it should have been out of the all-rounders for the position, with Dan Christian favourite, but also Mitchell Marsh, James Faulkner and Glenn Maxwell a shot (Andrew McDonald would be too but he is injured). If they were going for a batsman, it should have been George Bailey as favourite, with David Hussey next most likely, and also considering Usman Khawaja, Chris Rogers and Joe Burns as options. Rob Quiney was a hunch. If a batsman that doesn't deserve it, who is a hunch, scores just 9, he shouldn't be given a second chance. For them to consider dumping a proven performer in David Warner for him is just absurd.

Posted by Buggsy on (November 17, 2012, 4:58 GMT)

Despite such a short stay, I thought Quiney looked pretty good - it was an irresponsible shot which led to his downfall, but I'd be surprised if he made the same mistake twice. He deserves a go in Perth as well, regardless of what happens in Adelaide.

Posted by HatsforBats on (November 17, 2012, 4:26 GMT)

@ Meety, I don't think I've seen an Aussie debut as shaky as Quiney since Hughes! Good thing he'll get a second chance on the best batting strip in the country (1st innings anyway). 1-all going to Perth?

Posted by LockyerValley on (November 17, 2012, 3:47 GMT)

I think that if Watson is fit, it should be Warner that bows down, not Quiney. While both Quiney and Warner are very good in the field, Warner has been very inconsistent, notching up two centuries which make up the vast majority of his test run tally. Quiney definitely has talent, it's obvious, and if Watson comes back, Quiney can take the opening role of which he's familiar with in domestic cricket.

Posted by Meety on (November 17, 2012, 3:31 GMT)

I was impressed with Quinney's fielding. His brief innings had me conflicted. His start was brilliant, played & missed a couple of times & then THAT hook shot! I spent ages cursing him over the shot, but with a bit of time I've started to look at this way. He nailed the shot, & IF it went 3 metres either side of Steyn it was a six. Some would say bad luck, I'll just say poor judgement, but I s'pose its better to go down swinging than being a sitting duck! I prefer Watto was fit & got selected, but I again wish Quinney the best of luck, if he plays that exact same shot at Adelaide, I'm pretty sure that would of been caught about 3 rows back!

Brydon CoverdaleClose
Brydon Coverdale Assistant Editor Possibly the only person to win a headline-writing award for a title with the word "heifers" in it, Brydon decided agricultural journalism wasn't for him when he took up his position with ESPNcricinfo in Melbourne. His cricketing career peaked with an unbeaten 85 in the seconds for a small team in rural Victoria on a day when they could not scrounge up 11 players and Brydon, tragically, ran out of partners to help him reach his century. He is also a compulsive TV game-show contestant and has appeared on half a dozen shows in Australia.
Tour Results