Australia v South Africa, 3rd Test, Perth

'This is where it started, and will finish'

The Perth Test against South Africa will be Ricky Ponting's last. Below is a transcript of the press conference during which Ponting announced his decision to retire

November 29, 2012

As you probably seem like you're all very aware now, a few hours ago I let the team know of my decision to make this Test match my last. It's a decision I thought long and hard about, put in long consideration about the decision, at the end of the day it was based on my results and my output really in this series so far. It hasn't been what I expect of myself and it certainly hadn't been to the level that I feel is required for batsmen and players in the Australian team. As I've said all along, I'll continue to play this game as long as I felt that I could contribute to wins, play well enough to help the team win games, and over the last couple of weeks I think that my level of performance hasn't been good enough to do that.

My passion and love for the game hasn't changed one bit, right through the last 12-18 months when things probably haven't been as I would've liked them or pictured them. I'll continue this season to play out the rest of the summer, and I'm looking forward to a full season of the Big Bash with the Hobart Hurricanes. But I think it's really important today, I could sit here all day and reflect on my career and talk about the great teams I've played in, the great players I've played with and against, but I honestly believe that's for another time, there's other days and times for that at the end of this game, at the end of my career that we can all get together and talk about those moments.

As far as I'm concerned, my immediate focus now and the team's immediate focus is what we're presented with tomorrow. That's an unbelievable opportunity. We're going into what I believe is almost like a grand final. I've prepared well this week, and as I said to the boys this morning, I'm hungrier than ever and want this win probably more than any other game I've ever played in, so I'll do whatever I can this week to contribute to a great team performance. If that happens to lead to a win for the team and we get back to the top of the tree and No. 1 in the world then there's no better time for me to finish anyway. This week we've got a big job ahead, and especially me, I've got to lift my level of play from where it was last week to where it is this week. I've got a good feeling I can do that, and as I said there's no better stage than in a finals type game, a big game, to try to do that this week. Ironically, this is where it all started for me, I think 17 years ago, this is where it all started, and that's where it's going to finish.

Who did you have your first discussions with and how hard was it to discuss retirement?
The lady sitting beside you there [his wife, Rianna Ponting] was the first one I spoke to about it. It was towards the end of the Adelaide game when I first started contemplating what it might mean, and contemplating if I believed within myself if I was good enough to play the way I've been known to play through the years. I think the thing that struck home mostly was that only a few weeks ago I felt my preparation had been as good as it has been for a while. My Shield form had been good, I'd scored runs, I felt good about my batting, but when the big moments come around I haven't been able to delivery what's been required for the team. That was when I first started thinking about things. We spoke long and hard and there's been a few sleepless nights over the last couple of days to reach the decisions, but I'm very comfortable with the decision I've made. I think timing wise it's the right time. At the end of the series it'll give whoever my replacement is the chance to start afresh in a new series and for me those little things have been pretty important as well.

"I've had moments of really good stuff, and prolonged moments of cricket that's been below my expectations and below a par level for me, so there hasn't been one dismissal or one moment, it's just been in my own eyes reasonably consistent failure. That's why I believe the time is right now to be making this decision." Ponting on what prompted his decision to retire

What do you think you have given cricket, what has cricket gained from your involvement?
I know I've given cricket my all. It's been life for 20 years. Not much more I can give.

Was there one moment or dismissal that triggered this or was it a long time in coming?

Did you still have the unanimous support of the selectors?
I believe so, there's been all sorts of things in the papers the last couple of days and I know certainly with my captain and my coach I couldn't have had any more support from those guys, and they've been the ones who've been most verbal about their support. This is not a decision that's been made by the selectors, this is a decision that's been made by me, and I'd like to thank all those guys for the support they've given me over the last 12 months. There were probably moments when they thought long and hard about ending my career and I'm glad I've got the opportunity to finish this way and on my terms.

How tough is it for you not to go to the Ashes next year?

What are you going to do with yourself now, after cricket?
I've got a few months of cricket yet, which I am really looking forward to. I really enjoyed the start of this season playing cricket with Tasmania and back with some of my mates - really I place I haven't spent a lot of time for near on the last 20 years. So I'll enjoy that for what it is, but this is my new team here [pointing to his family].

What did you tell your team-mates earlier and what was their reaction?
I tried to tell them a lot, but I didn't get much out. As I said to the boys this morning, they've never seen me emotional, but I was this morning

Any thoughts on who should replace you in the team going forward?
Thankfully for me I've never been a selector, right through my time, and probably right at the moment I'm thankful I'm not a selector again. But I guess it's really pleasing from my point of view that there are a few guys out there in Shield cricket who are scoring runs at the moment. I know whichever way the selectors decide to go with the next player, they'll play well for Australia. We've got great structures, great set-ups now around our team, the next player will be given every opportunity and I'm sure they'll do well.

Posted by Hammond on (December 2, 2012, 0:33 GMT)

@SamRoy- my sincere apologies, how could I forget about those three great batsmen??!!

Posted by Hammond on (December 1, 2012, 12:57 GMT)

@ScottStevo- don't blame you, that would be the classic choice of someone with very limited cricket knowledge. Each one of those batsmen is technically superior to Ponting in every way imaginable. Some (like Hutton, Barrington, Sobers and Pollock) are a head and shoulders above Ricky, and played against far superior attacks (on uncovered pitches with no helmet). Read more on the game son.

Posted by SamRoy on (December 1, 2012, 12:06 GMT)

@Hammond I don't think Dravid was better than Ponting. The rest I agree. Add 4 more. Neil Harvey, Weekes, Walcott and Worell (3 Ws from WI).

Posted by   on (November 30, 2012, 23:23 GMT)

All the Best Ponting..you are a true champion..

Posted by   on (November 30, 2012, 20:39 GMT)

I hated him to begin with especially in that fracas filled series of 2008. But I believe of late he has mellowed down considerably and shown signs of being a true champion. There was never any doubt about his greatness as a cricketer. He is one of the living legends and surely one of the best batsmen and fielder of all time. Hats off to him.

Posted by ScottStevo on (November 30, 2012, 20:36 GMT)

@Hammond, that's just about the poorest analysis of a player as I've ever seen. Clunky bottom hand and bottom hand dominated - if it's so clunky yet domineering, how did he manage to score all those runs (which he only scored at home - an even poorer analysis!) There isn't a side who he hasn't chewed in test cricket, and went a long way to righting his wrongs in his last series in India. In ODI, he's up there with the best, if it's not actually him, which you could certainly argue. At any rate, the test player of the decade isn't a great of the game - maybe a few of those rocks in your head clunked together when you wrote that complete nonsense. Oh, and of your list, the only player bat I'll take over Ponting (possibly) is V Richards.

Posted by SatyajitM on (November 30, 2012, 10:28 GMT)

A great competitor. His greatest asset was his commitment to his team. He would not budge from his aim, a characteristic seen in Steve Waugh and Border as well. He was probably not the prettiest of the batsmen but surely better than Waugh sr and Border. One top batsmam who was also a top fielder. Initially he appreared to be cocky and many thought he was arrogant. But later we could see though he was not most polished of the folks, he was quite honest with his approach. He really owned the responsibility given to him. We saw the transformation from brash brat (getting into fight in a bar) to responsible leader and familyman. Well done Ricky! People would always remember you as a gritty character in world cricket.

Posted by Aaryabhatta on (November 30, 2012, 10:04 GMT)

Respect and love Ponting...From India

Posted by Hammond on (November 30, 2012, 8:53 GMT)

List of better players than Ponting since Bradman retired. Hutton, Barrington, G Pollock, Sobers, B Richards, V Richards, Gavaskar, G Chappell, Miandad, Lara, Dravid, Tendulkar. That is 11 and I'm sure there are more. A hard handed clunky bottom handed dominated batsmen that benefited from a great team around him, the west indies decline and munched on a weak England side and various average sub-continental teams (at home). Good? Yes. A great? Hardly.

Posted by   on (November 30, 2012, 8:33 GMT)

A fierce competitor who always wanted to win - by any means. This statement should not take the sheen away of his cricketing abilities. He will be missed of course by the cricketing fraternity the world over - more so by the Aussies.

Posted by SmartycricketersinBlue on (November 30, 2012, 7:08 GMT)

At last its Bye Bye he will be also known as a rude and SUPERCILIOUS cricketer

Posted by   on (November 30, 2012, 3:55 GMT)

Less than a year ago he averaged 108 in a series. I think it's premature, personally. If he's retiring now then Tendulkar should have quit a year ago.

Posted by peachaster on (November 30, 2012, 3:34 GMT)

Like the candor, lots of people in his place would use this type of moment to gloss over their shortcomings.

Posted by WC2011Champs on (November 30, 2012, 3:12 GMT)

RandyOZ, totally agree with you he is best batsman since Bradman, but in Australia. Sachin is THE best batsman in the world of all times!!!

Posted by   on (November 30, 2012, 2:06 GMT)

fitting he deserves a farewll and hope he signs out on a high

Posted by KhanMitch on (November 30, 2012, 1:44 GMT)

We will never see another Ricky Ponting again. I do agree with Rahul_Ashok on his replacement, Khawaja is the right man for the job, second highest shield scorer and bats at the same position. But make no mistake, no replacement can do even half of what this man achieved.

Posted by   on (November 30, 2012, 1:10 GMT)

Absolute champion for Australia. Still think he could have done well for us during the rest of the summer, I am disappointed. The best captain, batsman and leader I have seen in my time, Clarke still has a way to go to match Ponting's grit and loyalty to the Australian team, although he has made a terrific start do far. Lets hope he piles on the runs in Perth and forces us to talk about how we can get him back in the team for the rest of the summer. Respect always for Punter.

Posted by dhruvans on (November 30, 2012, 0:38 GMT)

Never been a huge fan of Ponting, always found him to be obnoxious and cocky. Tendulkar however I have loved and followed since I was a little kid. You can argue until the day ends as to who is a better batsman, and not reach a conclusion. As one played for a very successful team, the other played with a nations burden on his shoulders.

Yesterday though Ponting 1up'ed Sachin. Yesterday I finally found respect for this modern day legend. I personally think Sachin to take a leaf out of his book and call it a day.

Well done Punter, thank you. Loved watching you pull a bouncer for 6 over the square legs head

Posted by Hammond on (November 30, 2012, 0:01 GMT)

@RandyOz- he's not even the best Aussie batsmen since Bradman let alone the best overall since 1948. Stop kidding yourself.

Posted by   on (November 29, 2012, 23:49 GMT)

Thank You for the memories Ricky - you will be missed - All the Very Best in your future endeavors.

Posted by murad357 on (November 29, 2012, 21:37 GMT)

Almost end of an era which I grew up watching with. Only Sachin and Kallis left!! Thank you Ricky for the entertainment all along...

Posted by Ozcricketwriter on (November 29, 2012, 21:31 GMT)

I hope he plays domestically for a while to come. I think he is a very good T20 player and could make big bucks in the IPL and other T20 tournaments. But maybe he thinks he has enough money, who knows.

Posted by   on (November 29, 2012, 20:09 GMT)

Hail the Punter ! Hail the Maestro ! Hail the Legend!

Posted by mikey76 on (November 29, 2012, 19:52 GMT)

The best Australian batsman since Bradman I think Randy meant to say. BC Lara still the outstanding batsman of this era. Good decision from Ponting to retire now before he was embarrassed in England next year.

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (November 29, 2012, 18:47 GMT)

@RandyOZ: Correction, ONE of the best batsmen. We also have Lara, Tendulkar up there. Besides, Aussies need to think outside the box from time to time.

Posted by   on (November 29, 2012, 18:45 GMT)

Sad to see you leave the Test arena, thankyou for making the 2005 Ashes live long in my memory, even if it was for the snorter harmison got you with, that drew claret. you played the game the way it should with pride and passion . all the best for your future.

Posted by UnderDog1630 on (November 29, 2012, 18:25 GMT)

A great player with high talent and equally low ethics.

Posted by abhishekkumar213 on (November 29, 2012, 16:28 GMT)

hats off!!!!... you were the best!!!!

Posted by Sinhaya on (November 29, 2012, 16:23 GMT)

Well played Ponting and thanks for the entertainment. I was not much of a fan of you but still you were no doubt great.

Posted by Hemanth_Kattekodi on (November 29, 2012, 16:03 GMT)

My favourite player, batsman and a fierce competitor. I will really miss watching him...Cricket will never be the same again. Though Tendulkar still plays...RICKY is in a different league altogether! Arguably the best ever batsman after DON.

Posted by RandyOZ on (November 29, 2012, 14:28 GMT)

Easily the best batsman since Bradman.

Posted by   on (November 29, 2012, 14:14 GMT)

emotion is getting the best of me.cant stop crying hearing his retirement.one of the very few best batsmen in cricket history

Posted by KingOwl on (November 29, 2012, 14:07 GMT)

I have never liked Ricky Ponting. But what he said today, I liked! I can feel the emotion. Great batsmen, no doubt.

Posted by   on (November 29, 2012, 13:31 GMT)

Really a legend. Not just his stats but that undying determination to always improve and evolve, to win for his team and never a selfish moment. We will miss you Punter and tell our grandkids with joy that we saw one of the greats.

Posted by cricroop on (November 29, 2012, 13:29 GMT)

one of the legends in cricket. Good he made the decision..didnt want to repeat what happened with his odi carrer. Goodluck and all the best for the future.

Posted by   on (November 29, 2012, 13:07 GMT)

I do hope, he ends his career with his trademark swiveled pull for six over square leg of Steyn's bowling. Also, running out Kallis/Amla with a direct hit from point. That would be a fitting end to his career.

Posted by   on (November 29, 2012, 12:52 GMT)

I have never seen any confident batsman than this guy while playing at #3 when it's already 2 down early in the game. And As an Indian Fan I will never forget his inning of World Cup Final 2003

Posted by   on (November 29, 2012, 12:05 GMT)

the guy gave this great game his all for nearly 2 decades & produced some of the greatest performances @ the crease & in the field. yes @ times he may not have been the most fair minded amicable level headed cricketer but he is right up there with the best of em.

Posted by eyballfallenout on (November 29, 2012, 12:00 GMT)

@PanditCricketanand , there is no reason for Kallis to retire, hes going great guns, no loss of form at all. just because of his age he should retire... crazy!

Posted by Sunil_Batra on (November 29, 2012, 11:55 GMT)

My favorite batsman and I will miss him, only when the legends are gone do you realise how lucky we were to have seen them bat. As his replacement at 4 I would get either Khawaja or Doolan in, both bat at 3 in their shield side and would best handle this positoin.

Posted by Furian on (November 29, 2012, 11:09 GMT)

He is the great caption and one of the great batsman.

He knows he is failing continuously, and he may/will fail in perth but why he wants to play that match. As we all know it is a series decider. Why can't he take call like dravid or laxman, rather waiting for next series or match to have great/grand exit.

Any ways he is of the good player, i enjoyed a lot watching him.

Posted by Archean on (November 29, 2012, 10:49 GMT)

One the most attacking batsmen of this era, a true great, good to see him choose the right moment and go. Now will the other 'big one' do the same ad stop being ignorant about his diminishing powers?

Posted by   on (November 29, 2012, 10:48 GMT)

One of the best batsmen I've seen. it hurts me to say the way he played in WC final 2003. great player.!

Posted by Trapper439 on (November 29, 2012, 9:17 GMT)

I personally think that since the First Test vs Sri Lanka is at his home ground in Hobart he should have been given two more Tests.

I'm glad he stuck around for as long as he did. I'm sure he imparted some hard-earned wisdom to the younger players in the dressing room.

I haven't looked at the much larger "main" thread yet, but I'm pleasantly surprised by the lack of rancour in this one. I know he was disliked (to say the least) by some opposition fans, so it's nice to see that the posters in this thread have been complimentary and respectful to one of the greats.

Kudos to you all.

Posted by Coraline_Jones on (November 29, 2012, 9:06 GMT)

Congos ricky on gr8 career and entertainment for 17 yrs ... It shows how honest u r... wot abt Indian bradman with half the test avg of original bradman? when he is gonna hang his boots?? For gods sake some one tell him this news and get him out of indian team.

If I had 49 One Day Hundreds I would trade them for 100 test wins. How many of 49 hundreds resulted in wins ... not even the so called hundredth hundred ..lol

Posted by CricketBirbal on (November 29, 2012, 8:57 GMT)

There is nothing against Tendulkar. Cricket is a game to see good batting from batsman, and if someone is consistently failing, someone else should take his place. No room for emotions and sentiments. Afterall, we are investing our time in Cricket and we should get the right dividends in the form of performance.

Posted by Mike_Tyson on (November 29, 2012, 8:49 GMT)

Absolute legend, a wonderful player to watch when in full flow.

Posted by   on (November 29, 2012, 8:48 GMT)

A real commited cricketer for his country and a real match winner of his era

Posted by CricketBirbal on (November 29, 2012, 8:29 GMT)

One down and one more to go before our Indian Bradman decides to follow suit. C'mon Kallis, show them you can retire too on your own terms and spare us the Embarrassment called Indian Bradman.

Posted by coolindianfan on (November 29, 2012, 8:19 GMT)

@ KiwiRocker- mate i dont want to get down on sachin vs pointing debate pointing along with gilly are the best australia has produced sachin along with dravid are the best batsmen india has produced . as far as pointing vs sachin is concerned he himself admitted that sachin is the best batsmen of the modern era so that ends the debate its a different case that u dont want to accept u call sachin overatted right make one century in play station and well have a talk after that. tendlya never manaed a century against wasim and waquar to achieve r u out of ur head havent u seen 136 at chennai work on ur iq mate and then talk..none the less pointings stature as a legend and his captaincy cannot be questioned .

Posted by   on (November 29, 2012, 8:10 GMT)

Finally it is curtains for Punter. Hate him if you want to, but he was a good and entertaining batsman. Cocky at time, why not, he could afford it as he was surrounded by great players of his time and even if he failed, no one dared to talk about his failures until lately. I have this nagging feeling that when I. Chappel said it was time for him to call it a day, he knew that Chappel a close buddy of Rod Marsh one of the selector his time was up. He did not want to be dumped, but walked out gracefully. However I simply failed to understand why all these so called Ricky fans asking Tendulkar to follow suit. I think you guys are jealous of him. If only any of you is as good as he is, you would have played for your nation. I can understand Aussies, Pakis, and even South Africans and English crying for Tendulkar's removal, but sigh, the Indians, the ungrateful bunch of them, I failed to understand. Morons they are, let him play his game and decides himself. Leave him alone.

Posted by coolindianfan on (November 29, 2012, 8:08 GMT)

"If I had 49 One Day Hundreds I would trade them for 100 test wins. "not taking any credit away from pointing but he had the backing of an invincible in which he played an imp role so as a result he won 100+testmatches ".had sachin been in australia he would have had a dozen more . none the less he was a legend in his generation. and was an amazing player .

Posted by gsingh7 on (November 29, 2012, 8:03 GMT)

he will be known in the world for all those bump catches and controversies more than his batting (mainly in aus, as in india bhajji made him a bunny) , he should have be role model for young cricketers but he chose the other lifestyle of being a controversial figure , cricket wud be much better without him ,

Posted by timtom on (November 29, 2012, 7:40 GMT)

Ricky good stuff !! This should have come at 2008 ..Better late than never..Walking out on own terms..

Posted by   on (November 29, 2012, 7:35 GMT)

Gilchrist, Ponting,Dravid - all of them real heroes.....and winning 100 Test Matches - WOW :-)

If I had 49 One Day Hundreds I would trade them for 100 test wins.

Posted by   on (November 29, 2012, 7:22 GMT)

"I want to be a consistent performer, and if you look back over the last 12 or 18 months I haven't been able to perform consistently. I've had moments of really good stuff, and prolonged moments of cricket that's been below my expectations and below a par level for me, so there hasn't been one dismissal or one moment, it's just been in my own eyes reasonably consistent failure. That's why I believe the time is right now to be making this decision." BRAVO Ponting. Like him or not, there's no doubt he has been a top-notch cricketer and team player who looks at life square in the eyes. Now, will a certain Indian legend or two follow his example? This statement certainly applies to them too.

Posted by   on (November 29, 2012, 7:15 GMT)

Great decision taken by great batsman at best time.........He is not a a Tendulkar who thinks himself first then team..........

Posted by popcorn on (November 29, 2012, 7:04 GMT)

I know, and you know, and Ricky Ponting knows, that NOTHING would give him more satisfaction than being in the Aussie Team that brings back The Ashes.And stay on for next summer to reatain the Ashes. But Ponting is a realist - and that's what makes his announcement to retire AT THIS TIME, all the more noble.

Posted by   on (November 29, 2012, 7:03 GMT)

Brilliant cricketer and I would say the timing of his retirement is similar to his timing when he was at his peak.

Posted by valleypf on (November 29, 2012, 7:01 GMT)

The second best batsman from the most successful Country in Test cricket history. Hard to better that!

Posted by riverbaby11 on (November 29, 2012, 6:59 GMT)

One of the greatest to play the game and a proper Aussie...Respect ....

Posted by MosesAna on (November 29, 2012, 6:59 GMT)

As a South African who has watched his side pummeled on many occasion by Mr. Ponting i should be happy to see the back of him, but it's always sad when the game loses a legend like this. Great that he's going out on his terms, every career must end and he can always be proud of the player he was.

Personally i don't doubt that there's still a year or 2 left in him but we'll never know now.

Still i hope we get him out cheaply in this last test, after all Test cricket is Test cricket.

Posted by Raggie on (November 29, 2012, 6:51 GMT)

Why do you Retire, Come on you have won more matches than our Sachin, he is 2 years elder than you and still playing.Certainly should have 2 more years of cricket left in you. Sachin - this is the comments by ponting to the press "I want to be a consistent performer, and if you look back over the last 12 or 18 months I haven't been able to perform consistently" . Read it look at yourself and get out of the team for God sake.

Ponting - Congrats on your great career and thanks for entertaining us for 17 years.

Posted by   on (November 29, 2012, 6:50 GMT)

Well done on an amazing career. I remember listening his 1st test on the radio at a mates wedding. Pity I wont see him play for one last time, I already have tickecs to the test in Hobart hoping to watch him again. Guess I'll have to downgrade & watch the Big Bash with the Hurracanes.

Posted by perl57 on (November 29, 2012, 6:30 GMT)

Good luck buddy and thank you for the entertainment.

Posted by   on (November 29, 2012, 6:28 GMT)

And so the last real link to one of the great eras of Australian Sport has gone...... Only player to play in more than 100 WINNING test teams - most blokes don't even PLAY 100 tests!! Captained more winning test match teams than anyone else. Scored more test runs than anyone else other than Tendulkar and probably Kallis after he retires. Won 3 World Cups - 2 of them as Captain. Sure, there were problems with on-field and off-field behaviour at times during his career. And while his case is convincing enough on face value that he made the decision to go himself, I can't help but think that he has been quietly told to move on & allow a replacement to settle in before India and the Ashes - both away from home in 2013. We won't appreciate how good arguably the best batsman in one of the great test teams of all time - the Australian side of 1995 to 2009 when they were No. 1 - was...until he is missing against the Poms next summer, and in the years to come. Well played and thank you, Punter.

Posted by   on (November 29, 2012, 6:25 GMT)

a marvelous player a fantastic career to end... wish him to END with BANG>>>> thanx puntur for wonderful entertainment to the world......

Posted by Major_Hammad on (November 29, 2012, 6:23 GMT)

Ricky Ponting is a Legend Player of Cricket History, One of the Best of Top Legends.

Posted by   on (November 29, 2012, 6:19 GMT)

What a player, a legend of the game. I salute!!!

Posted by sharidas on (November 29, 2012, 6:19 GMT)

Thanks for all the entertainment you gave us all these years....Wish you all the best in whatever you want to do....but rather than all the batting that you did, it was one catch you took at point off sachin tendulkar a long time back that I will remember above all.

Posted by Imz25 on (November 29, 2012, 6:17 GMT)

THANK YOU, Ricky Ponting! You are an Australian legend and your commitment to the game was second to none. You are an inspiration to people of all ages with the uncompromising attitude, passion and determination you played with over almost two decades.

It wasn't just the vast amount of runs you scored, it was also the entertaining and attacking style you scored them with. You are an example of how to play under pressure and lets not forget that you are one of the greatest fielders of all time, easily the most all-round fielder of your era which gets overlooked because of your other countless achievements.

The fact that Pup could barely hold back tears shows how much of an impact you have made on your team mates. This is not a surprise as many players have gone on record saying that Punter has always been supportive of his team mates and the trust youngsters have in him cannot be symbolised better than when Uzzie said "I'd jump off a bridge if Punter asked me to".

Well played, Punter

Posted by sandy_bangalore on (November 29, 2012, 6:16 GMT)

The greatest player of fast bowling in the mordern era. His hook was thrilling to watch. Mr Ponting. Love from India. You have tons and tons of fans here and we'll miss you for sure!

Posted by   on (November 29, 2012, 6:15 GMT)

I wish him well at Perth. To go out with a century would be the right thing for a batsman of his caliber!!!!

Posted by ramMv on (November 29, 2012, 6:11 GMT)

A thorough Gentleman and a great saviour to World cricket..!!! It requires a big heart to accept the failures despite being world's top batsman for more than a decade..!!! Ponting...we definitely miss your pull shot... :( Though,i am an indian..i liked you wacking our indian bowlers on a green WACA wicket few years ago...!!! Miss those days...!!!

Posted by MinusZero on (November 29, 2012, 6:06 GMT)

I am glad he retired on his terms. Apart from earlier this year, his form over the last 5 years has been below average. In the past 6 years, he has only averaged above 40 twice and scored 8 centuries, thats compared with one year further where he scored 7 centuries in one year.

Posted by k.mithilesh on (November 29, 2012, 5:55 GMT)

"When you've come to the realisation that what you can give is probably not good enough then it's a pretty easy decision." Who else but only a true champion and an absolutely honest sportsman and individual could have said that. And it is his honesty to his craft, to his team that defines the greatest tragic hero of his sporting generation. Someone quite akin to Coriolanus and Macbeth rolled into one. The perfect way now to exit would be 4 (walking cover drive), 4 (square cut past the point region) and 4 (the pull) and that's his 100..Go Ponting Go..We want this from you...

Posted by   on (November 29, 2012, 5:43 GMT)

Humble interview mate. You gave your all for 20 years, not much more you could give, well said Punt.

Posted by akbaassu on (November 29, 2012, 5:41 GMT)

A genuine good cricketer who did'nt wait until Sachin's Retirement....... Sachin have to retire

Posted by markinperth on (November 29, 2012, 5:39 GMT)

What a profound career. I was incredibly moved to read that he is moving from one team(Professional sports) to another (his family)... Punter, your best innings awaits you!

Posted by   on (November 29, 2012, 5:38 GMT)

Go on a high mate. Hit a match-winning century. You deserve to go like that! Regardless, you're the best I've seen bat and one of the best I know of.

Posted by junkeravan on (November 29, 2012, 5:33 GMT)

#adieu punter - bye punter hunters There was a batsman called Ponting whose batting was, of late, wanting. So he booked his retirement berth and leaves where he began - at Perth But his hundred test wins remain outstanting.

Posted by   on (November 29, 2012, 5:33 GMT)

What words, what straightforwardness, what posture, what career, what player.

Personally, I've never been a fan, Ricky... but I don't know if I've seen a better batsman in my lifetime. RESPECT!!

Posted by   on (November 29, 2012, 5:32 GMT)

Now Tendulkar will retire peacefully..

Posted by   on (November 29, 2012, 5:23 GMT)

Dear Ricky Ponting the team will miss uuu lot....

Posted by ReverseSweepIndia on (November 29, 2012, 5:23 GMT)

"When you've come to the realisation that what you can give is probably not good enough then it's a pretty easy decision." Good one Ponting, you could read writing on the wall. I think there is another gentleman in cricketing world, in our part of the world who need to understand the same thing. Good luck to your family life

Posted by vatsap on (November 29, 2012, 5:22 GMT)

Thanks for the great memories. We hated you for your guts, but what a player and what a terrific fielder.

Posted by Vinay27 on (November 29, 2012, 5:14 GMT)

Ricky ponting(Punter) - Whatta Player he is - "True legend" and "Match winner"

It is difficult for me to accept the fact that Perth is going to be Punter's last game !I have always been a hardcore fan of ponting from the time he started his career - I have enjoyed each and every match Ricky has played Thanks for those wonderful moments - From your "outstanding catches" to "bulls eye run out's" to flamboyant batting 100 test wins indicates that he is a "team player"

" Will miss you punter"

Posted by   on (November 29, 2012, 5:14 GMT)

We will never forget his innings in the 438 game here in Johannesburg.

The cleanest hitting we have ever seen bar none !!!

Posted by Iyer on (November 29, 2012, 5:12 GMT)

I have only one question: If he thinks he is not good enough to play the game, why would he play the next game at Perth? Given that it is a crucial game, a series decider, wouldn't it be nice if Ponting had retired without playing any more?

Posted by   on (November 29, 2012, 5:11 GMT)

Ponting we love you and liked you it has been a end of an era with you...many of great from 90s, Walsh, Wasim, Waqar, B. Lara, Dravid, Laxman, Kumbley,VVS, Azhar, Inzmam, Akhtar, Gilly, Garry Kristen, Donald, Mcgrath, Jaysurya, Murli, Saqalan,Martin Crow, Shane Bond, Astle, Chris(Crain, Haris) has gone already you were the once of them...We liked very much your Cricketing skill as captain, batsman, fielder...Wish you a happy life ahead....Truely one of Cricket Legend...Cricket is no more so interesting after retiring so much legend and valuable cricketers....and fortunate to see all of you!!!! Cricket would never be so charming as it was in era of 90....

Posted by JustOUT on (November 29, 2012, 5:03 GMT)

Great player... Good Luck.. We will miss your PULL SHOTS and DRIVES

Posted by RajitD on (November 29, 2012, 4:54 GMT)

Cricket will miss you Punter. Undoubtedly one of the finest batsmen in this generation. You may have been loved by your team and countrymen, and disliked - in a cricketing sense by others, but without doubt admired by one and all. All the very best!

Posted by Meety on (November 29, 2012, 4:54 GMT)

"How tough is it for you not to go to the Ashes next year? It's not tough at all, because I've made up my own mind that I'm not good enough to get there. So that's not a tough decision. When you've come to the realisation that what you can give is probably not good enough then it's a pretty easy decision. " - Brilliant Punter, as I type with a possible tear in me eye!

Posted by TJAPUKAI on (November 29, 2012, 4:53 GMT)

I would have asked him "What's your message to Sachin to make his decision on retirement?" That poor guy is not able to make a decision on his own after tasting so much of money.But here is a great gentleman from Australia who knows how to make a decision.That's why Ricky is a great leader.Always feel proud about his leadership capabilities.All the best for your retirement life.I hope you contribute to the cricketing world,your knowledge and experience.

Posted by KiwiRocker- on (November 29, 2012, 4:51 GMT)

A proud Australian. A fine batsmen of modern era. I rate Ricky Ponting, Jaques Kallis, Brian Lara , Rahul Dravid and Inzemam Ul Haq as one of the finest batsmen of last decade. Sangakara and Jaywardene are not far behind. Ponting scored runs when it mattered. This was a man who won and saved matches for Australia. Ponting was a true fighter who will never stop fighting. Ponting is an example that non performers like Tendulya can follow. Ponting is a bench mark that fellow Australians and over rated, over hyped so called God of game should aspire to follow.I particularly remember Ponting's wonderful knock against Wasim And Waqar in Perth in late 90's. This was something that tendulya never managed to achieve as he always saved himself against the best bowlers of his era. Cricket will never be the same without Ricky Ponting.

Posted by kaneri2611 on (November 29, 2012, 4:50 GMT)

"hey've never seen me emotional, but I was this morning" Awww this sentence tells the entire story ........I am in tears too ricky....i will miss you a lot.............

Tour Results