South Africa in Australia, 2012-13

Quiney named on standby for Watson

Daniel Brettig

November 4, 2012

Rob Quiney walks off the ground, Australia A v South Africans, Sydney, 3rd day, November 4, 2012
Rob Quiney's consistency for Victoria in recent summers won him a national call-up © Getty Images

Rob Quiney, the Victoria opening batsman, is likely to become Australia's 429th Test cricketer after he was called up as cover for the injured Shane Watson ahead of the first match against South Africa in Brisbane.

John Inverarity's selection panel chose 30-year-old Quiney as an in-form top order batsman rather than picking one of several allrounders who took part for Australia A against the South Africans at the SCG.

His first innings 85 demonstrated confidence and poise, before an undefeated 11 in the second showing some steel against a revved up Dale Steyn.

"It was good to have a good hit out against them, albeit the wicket in Sydney compared to the one we're going to play on is going to be a bit different and to see Steyn crank it up today," Quiney said. "It's good to have a little taste of it but obviously you're going to step up even more from this game.

"I think I've been fairly consistent in the last 18 to 24 months, so that's something I've been working on. Not such a great start in the Shield stuff for me this year but it's an opportunity, it comes through timing, and if it does eventuate then I'm hoping to enjoy it, soak it up and do as best I can."

Given Watson's calf injury history and the captain Michael Clarke's preference for the allrounder to capable of bowling and batting whenever he plays, Quiney's chances of being handed a baggy green cap on the first morning of the Test appear strong. No replacement player was named for Ricky Ponting, meanwhile, as he is making rapid progress in recovering from a hamstring niggle.

Inverarity indicated that a call on Watson would be made "sooner rather than later", and lauded Quiney for his consistent run-getting in recent summers. Last season he compiled 938 runs at 49.36, to follow up 724 at 42.58 in 2010-11. He had made a quite modest start to 2012-13 with only 68 runs in three matches, but there was plenty of fluency at the SCG.

"Rob Quiney has impressed the NSP with his performances in all formats in recent years. He was particularly impressive in the Australia A game that concluded at the SCG today," Inverarity said. "His 85 from 113 balls against the strong South African attack demonstrated a good range of shots and a sound technique. He is in good shape at the moment and he is ready to grasp his opportunity should he get the nod for Friday.

"Rob is a mature player with an equable temperament who has been on the verge of higher honours for some time, and I note his achievements for Victoria were recognised last year when he was named State Player of the Year at the Allan Border Medal evening."

Quiney's first taste of national duty came when he was chosen in the squad but did not play any matches in a Twenty20 series against New Zealand in 2009. He has flown up from Sydney to Brisbane on Sunday night to join Australia's Test 12.

Daniel Brettig is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo. He tweets here

RSS Feeds: Daniel Brettig

Posted by Dangertroy on (November 5, 2012, 8:03 GMT)

Lets not forget our secret weapon in the bowling department, the gentle medium pace of Mr Cricket. Clarke has shown a willingness to give batsmen a few overs to rest the pacemen, Ponting even rolled a few over last summer.

Posted by Cantbowlcantbat on (November 5, 2012, 6:47 GMT)

It looks like the selectors think Watson will be back shortly. Quiney is just a short term solution to fill in for Watson. They do not want to throw Doolan to the wolves filling in at No. 3 on a pacy Gabba pitch. If Doolan keeps his form going, he's a long term prospect to replace Ponting or Hussey when they retire.

Posted by Chris_P on (November 5, 2012, 6:13 GMT)

Very much a stop gap measure, but I'll wait until the test before saying anything about him. He has impressed me the times I have seen him bat, but he never seems to go on with it after a solid start in the few games I have seen him. Technically, very solid, I have seen the NSW quicks work him over & he appeared unfazed by it. Let's wait & see.

Posted by KhanMitch on (November 5, 2012, 6:08 GMT)

@Macca_Mat is correct, Khawaja would have come very close to getting selected. He got two 50s against NSW where less then 200 was scored in both innings, that's worth alot more then a 50. He did it under the eye of the selectors sitting in the stands with Starc, Copeland, Bollinger, Hazelwood and O Keefe bowling. His fielding has improved tremondously and running between the wickets is sharp so he is good to go

Posted by popcorn on (November 5, 2012, 5:30 GMT)

I am totally confused. Shane Watson is to bat at Number 3. We have two established Openers - Cowan and Warner.We need a solid Number 3. What is the point in getting an Opener Rob Quinney in? Better to get Usman Khawaja as standby for Shane Watson at Number 3, or have Ponting bat at his established successful place at Number 3, and Khawaja at Number 4. Clarke at 5,Hussey at 6,Wade at 7.

Posted by Dashgar on (November 5, 2012, 4:53 GMT)

Quiney has been close to, if not the best First Class batsman of the last 2 years (maybe Cowan). Deserves a chance. He's batted as an opener and also in the middle order so will be fine slotting in at number 3. Played well against Steyn and Philander in the tour match as well. Good luck to him. Pressure is on Cowan and Warner (not to mention Ponting and Hussey) now as Watson will return at some stage and take back a spot in the top 3. Hopefully Quiney performs well and we have some serious competition for places.

Posted by Meety on (November 5, 2012, 4:25 GMT)

@MattyP1979 on (November 05 2012, 02:31 AM GMT) - yes, we could diversify our DNA by importing Irish & Saffa cricketers!

Posted by   on (November 5, 2012, 3:21 GMT)

poor decision. Both Quiney and Hughes are currently in good form. However Hughes has a superios first class record. Hughes has test experience. Hughes has done very well in the past against South Africa. Hughes has age on his side and is an important component of Australia's long term success. Poor choice Australian selectors

Posted by MattyP1979 on (November 5, 2012, 2:31 GMT)

Looks like a Waugh to me! Jezz you guys need some more DNA into the mix. Never seen the lad in action but his inclusion will certainly be a trial by fire. Has Lyon been performing of late? Not making it into any of the Aussie wish teams. Oz need to breed some youngsters and give them time to settle (batting). Far too much chop and change.

Posted by   on (November 5, 2012, 1:15 GMT)

Good call I think, although our bowling attack will be underdone if we play just Lyon and 3 seamers. Cowan, Warner, Clarke, Ponting, Hussey, Quiney, Wade, Pattinson, Siddle, Starc, Hilfenhaus, Lyon (12th)

Posted by VivGilchrist on (November 5, 2012, 0:56 GMT)

I don't like this. Australia will be going in a bowler short. Lyons spin won't be effective until days 4/5, which could put a big workload on the 3 seamers. I wouldve gone with a batting all-rounder at 6 or 7 for sure. We may have to drop Lyon, play 4 seamers, and use Clarke as the spinner.

Posted by gogoldengreens on (November 5, 2012, 0:01 GMT)

Why is a player who is over 30 years old & averages in the 30's being picked... This should shut up Victorians whining that they never get a fair run at the selection table!!

Posted by MinusZero on (November 4, 2012, 23:10 GMT)

At last, a proper batsman in a batting position. Not a half batsman with a poor test record.

Posted by bonobo on (November 4, 2012, 22:47 GMT)

the consequence of Clarkes determination to accommodate Ponting and Hussey away from the new bowler...and what i feel is a strange deference to batting himself below Ponting, means Australia are constantly blooding new batsmen against the new ball. Ive been deeply impressed with Clarkes captaincy, but this is one area where I feel Australia have shot themselves in the foot, alongside the decision to pass over a generation of solid county and shield performers such as Katuch, Rogers, Jaques, Hussey and White, in the hope of jumping straight to the next Hayden. With Watson missing, I would feel better with Rogers in the top 3 or shown some consistency with Hughes or preferably Khawaja. But as it ism is has to be Quiney, who to be fair I have not seen, it will certainly be a fair baptism for him

Posted by sando_35 on (November 4, 2012, 22:24 GMT)

@Mohamed Irfan.....just no. Marsh has been dropped from WA, so he's not getting a game up. Johnson is done, looked ok against the Vics when I saw him on Friday, but besides the 3 or 4 chances he generates, he gets picked off easily. And I'm assuming you've never heard of 2 guys called Pattinson and Starc? Patto's a superstar

Posted by PFEL on (November 4, 2012, 20:21 GMT)

This reminds me of the Marcus North selection a few years ago, a bit surprising, he wasn't knocking the door down and an older player. North did OK, hopefully Quiney can follow his lead and ton up on debut against SA

Posted by s.sreekant on (November 4, 2012, 16:30 GMT)

why do u want 2 pick a 30+ cricketer who will sure 4 retire in 2yrs or so as a replacement and who is just an avg player,again this decision would be big mistake by the selection committee, even if he scores a 100 ,wt would be his realistic chance of staying in the team in future this is ridiculous..........

Posted by   on (November 4, 2012, 16:29 GMT)

cowan,warner,marsh.ponting,clarke,hussey,wade,maxwell,johnson,hilfenhaus,siddle,

Posted by I-Like-Cricket on (November 4, 2012, 14:33 GMT)

@CricHorizon. Normally I'd agree with you but they haven't scored as consistently as Quiney has. He's been great for the last 2 seasons and he probably deserves the chance because he's had those 2 consistent years. Ussie will get his chance eventually and I really want to see him do well but just like Punter, Clarke and Hussey before him I'd like to see him making consistent good scores in Shield games. Honestly haven't seen too much of Doolan so I won't comment on him, though his 161 was a great knock

Posted by Eskimo on (November 4, 2012, 14:14 GMT)

Sorry, we don't get any shield cricket coverage where I'm at. What ever happened to Callum Ferguson? Last time SA toured AUS he was playin' in the ODI's and he performed consistently. I haven't seen much of Khawaja, but the bit I've seen he didn't strike me as the talent-abundant type, but heck, that kid has temperament. That guy will eventually play tests for AUS for a very long time. Quiney is a limited-overs specialist last time I checked. But maybe he'll be doin' good down the order. Just my thoughts.

Posted by   on (November 4, 2012, 13:42 GMT)

Alex Doolan is in some great form, he's unlucky not to be picked.

Posted by RoJayao on (November 4, 2012, 13:35 GMT)

Mature player, won't be overawed by the occasion. 26th best batsman in Australia Gilly? Right. And Christian's number one fan re-emerges! He's clearly NOT up to international standard in limited overs, let alone test level.

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (November 4, 2012, 13:01 GMT)

Hmm.. finally a Victorian batsman !!! Good luck to you Rob.

Posted by Beertjie on (November 4, 2012, 12:21 GMT)

Spot on with the comments @ross_fleming! He would have been OK as an ODI pick. Wish him all the best but I truly hope he doesn't get picked at the Gabba. Playing at the SCG is so different it's not funny. Chris Rogers got mid-forties so would have been a better pick. Hope they keep in mind too if he gets better scores. Don't close doors (like with Kato) or it'll be the Ashes all over again.

Posted by kaptain_kman on (November 4, 2012, 12:16 GMT)

I have no issue with Quiney but just doesn't make any sense. Last year Dan Christian was knocking on the door of Test selection. Now our allrounder goes down and we replace him with a specialist batsman that does not even have a better batting record than our next best allrounder. Not to mention Christian's bowling in my opinion is best suited to longer formats where his swing can actually do damage. He consistently picks up wickets at state level, scores runs and has a solid technique. Seems like he's a victim of the all-too-frequent pigeonholing that happens by selectors. Quiney's numbers just aren't impressive enough to be selected ahead of a quality allrounder. Is Quiney a better batsman than Andrew McDonald? I doubt it. Frustrating and short-sighted decision for mine.

Posted by Gordo85 on (November 4, 2012, 12:16 GMT)

It is good to see Quiney to finally get recognised. I remember proberly a few years ago now I remember Mark Waugh kept saying on Fox Sports one night that he wasn't that good and what ended up happening was Quiney ended up scoring a hundred. But this is an odd one due to the fact that Watson was going to come in at 4 like Kallis. Quiney would have been a perfect replacement for Warner or Cowan. Cowan has been struggling of late. Of course if we are talking about a batsman coming in at say number 4 then Cosgrove would have proberly been a good choice but he has dropped off just a little of late proberly due to the fact that he keeps on playing as an opener for Tasmania even though I know he is not an opener at all.

Posted by ozwriter on (November 4, 2012, 11:53 GMT)

doolan would have been a better choice on the back of 161. remember usman too, match and series saving 65 against steyn/philander/morkel in south africa, and match winning innings hig in the latest shield match.

Posted by Ozcricketwriter on (November 4, 2012, 11:53 GMT)

Rob Quiney looks to be yet another major mistake by the selection committee, along the lines of Ed Cowan, Peter Forrest, Shaun Marsh, the recall of Phil Hughes, the dumping of Simon Katich, and the continued selection of Marcus North. I might be wrong but I've been right every other time and it is pretty obvious that Quiney is going to fail. Quiney should have been on the fringes of ODI selection. He just isn't good enough for test level. I ranked Quiney as the 26th best batsman in Australia. That should not be good enough to get a nod. It should have been out of George Bailey or Dan Christian, depending on if they wanted a batsman or an all-rounder. David Hussey, Usman Khawaja, Mitchell Marsh and Glenn Maxwell should have been the others that they were considering. Quiney should never have been in the mix and is bound to fail.

Posted by Meety on (November 4, 2012, 11:19 GMT)

@CricHorizon on (November 04 2012, 11:10 AM GMT) - I can't argue with that. That said, he has been good for a couple of seasons now, hopefully he'll continue that for at least another TWO innings!

Posted by ozwriter on (November 4, 2012, 11:10 GMT)

FC avg 37. enough said. like cowan and marsh, i would expect this chap to fail. surely 40+ avg should be the minimum entry criteria??

Posted by onlinegamer55 on (November 4, 2012, 11:07 GMT)

I hope Quiney, Warner, Cowan, Ponting and Hussey justify their places this summer. What a selection havoc it would be if all of them failed. At the moment, Ponting and Hussey are playing well, but you never know against Steyn, Morkel, and Philander. As for Warner, Cowan and Quiney, I'm not convinced they'll survive against SA but I hope they prove me wrong. Hughes should come into consideration sooner rather than later.

Posted by ozwriter on (November 4, 2012, 11:05 GMT)

really? the NSP are so inconsistent some people get selected for 'purple patches' e.g cowan, then for others they comment on their consistency in the 2010-2011 season.

Posted by V-Man_ on (November 4, 2012, 11:00 GMT)

Can't wait for this series to start. I am counting days.

Posted by Meety on (November 4, 2012, 10:46 GMT)

Good luck to him, but I am dissappointed. I wouldn't rate him in my top 10 options for a top order spot. I know he has quite a few fans that always put his name forward. If he gets a cap, I'll be cheering him on though!

Posted by whitesXI on (November 4, 2012, 10:46 GMT)

In response to people commenting on Quiney's shield performances being poor, he has made 53 and 119 to start the year in the ryobi cup to go with his 85 against SA, so it's not like he has started the season poorly all together. I'd also point out that while his scores in the shield look low, he was not out twice in his four innings, VIC has just been in such a dominate position in the second innings he hasn't had any time at the crease. I will say that I was fully expecting to see Quiney make his international debut in the limited overs stuff long before the baggy green, but I hope he does well and takes this opportunity with both hands. Well deserved as many have already commented, good luck to him.

Posted by Marcio on (November 4, 2012, 10:32 GMT)

Nice to see some realistic, measured reporting of a cricketer, rather than the over-the-top hyperbole we've been reading here about SA's players. Good luck to Quiney, as it looks like he'll be in the team. Warner will need to be on his toes, which is good.

Posted by Mary_786 on (November 4, 2012, 10:17 GMT)

Quiney is a good choice but I bet Doolan and Khawaja would have figured closely on the selection discussions especially after their top scores this weekend.

Posted by punter-gilly-haydos-mcgrath-warne on (November 4, 2012, 10:12 GMT)

srriaj317 I hope they will drop Cowan too. Quiney to open and Doolan coming in at number three.

Posted by KhanMitch on (November 4, 2012, 10:11 GMT)

Quiney is a good player but on this season's form I would have gone for Khawaja as he averages close to 80 on the Gabba, and he got 50s in both innings against a quality NSW attack. Plus he top scored against South Africa last year in the record chase. We need a batsman who can play quicks well and there are few that are better then him. Batting on day 1 and 2 against Starc, Bollinger, Copeland and Hazelwood was the biggest test for him and he top scored in both innings.

Posted by scottyg on (November 4, 2012, 10:06 GMT)

good to see hughes wasn't picked again...good to see someone other than a substandard NSW/ex NSW picked for the test side. Cowan and Warner are going to have their techniwues sorted out by the south africans. SA 2-0

Posted by   on (November 4, 2012, 10:05 GMT)

Ok. He certainly played well in the tour match, but I thought several of the other A squad would have been above him. Still, I like that he has experience. I understand picking youth on promise, but its good to have some players who have got some solid cricket under their belts being given a chance. His shield form hasn't been overly impressive so far, but Victoria's bowling has been winning matches for them this season, so he hasn't had to score as many runs. His one day form has been good, and he has had a few consistent years, so hopefully he steps up to the big stage. Wonder if he will open, or bat at 3 though?

Posted by Paul-in-Finland on (November 4, 2012, 9:55 GMT)

Very well deserved over the years. Good luck , since he's had a poor run in the Shield so far this summer, by his own standards. Hope he takes the step to perform at Test level. Good luck to you.

Posted by Hammond on (November 4, 2012, 9:45 GMT)

Good choice. Class batsman. I've always rated him.

Posted by   on (November 4, 2012, 9:31 GMT)

Well done Bobby. Very well deserved. Good luck to you

Posted by wix99 on (November 4, 2012, 9:31 GMT)

Rob Quiney has done well for Victoria over the past couple of years and deserves a chance. I'm surprised the selectors didn't pick ex-NSW players Phil Hughes or Usman Khawaja though.

Posted by Artiebees on (November 4, 2012, 9:25 GMT)

Interesting given the other options. Then again he does have a load of experience that will come in handy, as well as having already faced the SA attack

Posted by Chark_attack on (November 4, 2012, 9:04 GMT)

how times have changed long gone are the days of averaging 55+ in shield consistently for years to even get a look into the test team. that said good luck to him and hopefully he will make the most of this optionity if he does play.

Posted by bobagorof on (November 4, 2012, 8:55 GMT)

Interesting call. Quiney's name has been bandied around for a couple of years, but his 85 in the Australia A game was his first in First Class cricket this season. Hopefully he can carry that form into the Test, if he plays.

Posted by Heisenburg on (November 4, 2012, 8:50 GMT)

I've been saying Doolan but this is a pretty good choice.

Posted by nthuq on (November 4, 2012, 8:45 GMT)

A bit of an odd decision this considering he's had a poor run in the Shield so far this summer. Though perhaps the pressure to perform against a higher level team brought out the best in Quiney? I guess we'll see how he goes in the first test. Unless he scores a pair or shows a technical deficiency or something, he should be first in line now if Cowan gets dropped after the first test. Which should be pretty unlikely.

Posted by srriaj317 on (November 4, 2012, 8:43 GMT)

Good news, hope Cowan is dropped now. Quiney can replace him and we can play 5 bowlers instead. We will need all of them against a strong SA side and hopefully Siddle, Pattinson and Starc can combine to make up for the missing all-rounder. Of course, this is a freakish theory since SA's bowling also looks fearsome but Cowan was never test-class; especially on current form.

Daniel BrettigClose
Daniel Brettig Assistant editor Daniel Brettig had been a journalist for eight years when he joined ESPNcricinfo, but his fascination with cricket dates back to the early 1990s, when his dad helped him sneak into the family lounge room to watch the end of day-night World Series matches well past bedtime. Unapologetically passionate about indie music and the South Australian Redbacks, Daniel's chief cricketing achievement was to dismiss Wisden Almanack editor Lawrence Booth in the 2010 Ashes press match in Perth - a rare Australian victory that summer.
Tour Results