Australia v South Africa, 3rd Test, Perth, 4th day

'I'll miss the mateship, I'll miss the dressing room'

ESPNcricinfo staff

December 3, 2012

Ricky Ponting reflects on his 17-year career after playing his final Test, against South Africa in Perth.

The scoreboard says it all: "Thanks Ricky", Australia v South Africa, 3rd Test, Perth, 4th day, December 3, 2012
Ricky Ponting: "Even out of today, just being at the crease for 20-odd balls, it's a pretty special time, and anyone who's retired has felt that as well." © AFP

The finality sinking in: That it's [career] over has sunk in. It's been a pretty long, tough week I guess, I know I've been more nervous this game than any other game that I've played. Just for the reason how much it means for me to play for Australia and wanting to finish the right way. So it has been a hard week and we haven't got the result we were after and I haven't got the result I was after. Looking back it's been a special week as well, having my whole family here's been great, unbelievable support from them, and great support from the fans and from my team-mates, so it's been a special week.

Why it was time to finish: Excluding Brisbane and the start of Adelaide, when I got a pretty good ball, I just think I've put a lot of pressure on myself to perform knowing that I had to, or feeling within myself that I had to. Also knowing where the series was at, it's always been about big games and big series for me, and getting off the start I did with those two innings just had me under pressure again, and I haven't been able to deal with it as well of late as I'd have liked to. Normally for me when those big moments come around, I've been able to find something within and go out and score runs and make it all go away, but I haven't been able to do that for a while now, and that was when the alarm bells started to ring.

The guard of honour and the final ovation: I got my big ovation today, but Graeme's gesture and the South African team's gesture, that sort of stuff will remain with me forever, and I told him that on the field today. So that was special. I was pretty pumped up for the moment, I just felt there was one last big push from me, and the game and the day was set up for it, and it didn't last long enough. Even out of today, just being at the crease for 20-odd balls, it's a pretty special time, and anyone who's retired has felt that as well. It just would've been nice to have a few next to my name coming off.

On the supreme batsmen of his era: I felt Sachin was the best player I played against, and that's coming from more of a captain's point of view as well, knowing he had so much success against us in our conditions and their conditions. But the other way to look at it is, I probably lost more sleep on the eve of games against Lara, because I knew he could singlehandedly win games for his team. The way I judge players has always been on their ability to win games, and win games by themselves. Lara could certainly do that and he did it probably more than what Sachin's done for India. It's hard to separate the class of player - you've got to put Kallis in that bracket as well. You put his wickets on top of what he's done with the bat. He came out the other day to bat and I looked at the board and he was averaging 57 in Test cricket. That's remarkable considering the amount he's had to bowl and all that sort of stuff. I've been pretty blessed to play in the era I've played with so many great batsmen, and if my name gets mentioned among them, then that's great.

On the best bowlers he faced: I think Curtly Ambrose and Wasim Akram were probably the two outstanding quicks that I faced, and for different reasons. Ambrose for his ability to just make you feel like you couldn't score off him for long periods of time, never felt like he was going to bowl you a bad ball. Akram for the exact opposite, you could get a few runs off him, but you just knew there was an unplayable ball around the corner, be it with an old ball or with a new ball. And thankfully for me I probably got both of those guys towards the end of their careers as well. Those two, and Harbhajan's probably the other one who caused me as much grief as anything. He got me out a lot of times, and caused me a lot of grief. Those guys through their careers can all put their hand up and say they had my measure.

On what he'll miss: I'll miss the mateship, I'll miss the dressing room. That's the stuff that's irreplaceable in your life I guess. There's a lot of guys in there I'm very close to, and a lot of the guys I've been closest to over the years are no longer around the dressing room either. I guess that's the upside, I'll probably get to spend a bit more time with those guys who I've played most of my cricket with, but the get-up attitude and find a way to make yourself better and try to find a way to make your team-mates better is what I'll miss.

Posted by ahmedr001 on (December 6, 2012, 22:59 GMT)

szaranger - small-minded and petty, no class at all. I was not a fan of Ponting, but when he batted in England, was always booed byt he crowd - why, because we knew he was the dangerman in the Aussie team, and England had to get him out quickly, otherwise he could take the game away from you. His overall stats say it all - he is an all-time great. Oh, to all those doubters, Ponting and Lara were game changers, Sachin is a run accumulator!!

Posted by mogs on (December 6, 2012, 5:44 GMT)

@kiwirocker Whole world will do The guard of honour for our Little Master....

Posted by harshthakor on (December 5, 2012, 11:20 GMT)

Above all his batting took Australia to the pinnacle of glory.His percentage of runs and hundreds in winning causes is the best by any post-war batsman .Ponting never restrained his strokemaking ability even when his side faced pressure.

Posted by szaranger on (December 5, 2012, 5:18 GMT)

So long to the leader of arrogant Australian Cricket. You deserve a mediocre exit like that.

Posted by harshthakor on (December 5, 2012, 3:12 GMT)

One of test cricket's legends has set farewell to the cricket world.Above all he always played for the interest of his team which resulted in Australia reaching the p champion at the one down position.Ponting was one of the finest players of genuine pace bowling and best match-winners of all time.

Posted by warneneverchuck on (December 4, 2012, 19:23 GMT)

Kiwirocker . A player who was praised by sir don himself doesn't need anyone's certificate to proove his greatnes I guess

Posted by Ashish328 on (December 4, 2012, 16:01 GMT)

A true server of cricket and australian team , Ricky Ponting , A technically sound batsman , has retired from cricket, After Dravid, n ponting's retirement i would say A era of cricket is Over.

Posted by   on (December 4, 2012, 12:35 GMT)

Just read a Paki say Indian test statusneeds to be reviewed and wants a two tier system.Will be interesting to see how their team performs as they embark on the Tour to India.Also seems to be confident of their performance in SA.Hope his team can come back with some grace.

Posted by SpartaArmy on (December 4, 2012, 12:17 GMT)

It is no surprise to see SA welcome Ricky in such a manner. They even does it for a mediocre player like Haq, it shows how they respect hard work of a player but not necessarily talent. Of course, ponting is full of both. Thank God!! he didn't play against PAK or AFGHANISTAN in his final game. SA is the team to beat now. With minnows like PAK lined up next, they are going to occupy top slot for a long time.

Posted by   on (December 4, 2012, 12:14 GMT)

Dear Ricky Pointing,

The Legends career sadly came to an end. Australia will take long time to develop and create such a Talented, Tough and Tremendous Cricketer like you. Aggression, Consistency, Competitiveness , can be learned from your playing style. what an amazing career. You are A Model Player for every Cricketer and Sports person out there. From my self and all the Pakistani's I would like to wish you and your family, a great success for future endeavors.

You Beauty - Eye of the Tiger.....

I hope to see you in Melbourne

Posted by bismoy on (December 4, 2012, 11:15 GMT)

@kiwirocker I guess know one do for sachin...Lol Sachin is far bigger name then inzamam and pointing put togther.

Sachin is the greatest player that played any game.Forget SA Entire World will be doing guard of honour.

Posted by KiwiRocker- on (December 4, 2012, 9:11 GMT)

It was pleasing to see that South African players gave the respect that a player like Ponting deserved. The guard of honour was a fine gesture. I also recall South African players doing the same with Inzemam Ul Haq back in 2007 in his final test match. I would not be surprised if no one does that for Tendulya- A worthless record gathering non performer. Ric Moving along, the real test for South Africa might be coming up next when they face Pakistan in SA. Pakistan always had quality fast bowlers and their spin bowling attack is miles ahead of anyone. If Pakistani batting holds up a bit then they may pose some serious questions against SA. Right now, there appears to be two leagues in the test playing nations; SA, Australia, Pakistan and England are top tier, while teams like West Indies, SL, NZ and India are in bottom tier. If ICC wants to make test cricket more attractive then a tow tier system should be introduced.It might also be time to review test status of B'desh as well as India

Posted by   on (December 4, 2012, 7:40 GMT)

we all miss you ricky it is diff to see player like u in the future

Posted by   on (December 4, 2012, 7:21 GMT)

Thanks Ricky for the entertainment you provoided to us over the last 17 years. your steel face and never say die approch will last forever in our memories.

Posted by Joby_George on (December 4, 2012, 7:03 GMT)

Lara has class, sachin is eager of records. A true test player should be capable of playing in pressure situation and also should play long innings, which sachin can never.

Posted by shouvik.bagla on (December 4, 2012, 6:26 GMT)

Punter, though I hated your arrogant behaviour, but still I can't but watch you bat! Thanks for all the entertainment and have a Great life ahead!!! However, I contradict with Ponting that Lara is a better match winner than Sachin.Yes, definitely Lara was more talented than all other players of his generation and potentially better match winner, but he failed to translate it into reality.He has won only 24.43% and lost 48.09% matches for WI. Only 23.53% of his tons were in winning cause and 41.18% were on losing cause. Where as Sachin 34.38% and lost 28.64% of matches he played.39.22% of Sachin's tons were on winning cause and 21.57% were on losing cause. Infact, if match winning efforts are considered than Hayden, Gilchrist, Sehwag and Ponting himself will come before Lara and Sachin. (I have only considered test matches, because in ODI Lara will not even come close to Sachin)

Posted by jasif on (December 4, 2012, 4:28 GMT)

Ricky u r a true gentleman and ambassador of cricket australia. u retired to give new talent ample time to set in......i wish SOMEONE from india shows the same gesture much sooner than later....but i doubt it

Posted by   on (December 4, 2012, 4:26 GMT)

many captains had players with enormous talent but yet those teams weren't dominant e.g West Indies, but Pointing had good players and he made the most out of it. truly champion player. somewhere around 2003-2005 Pointing was averaging 59 plus. i can never forget the one handed 6 he hit in the 2003 WC final.

Posted by sirah23 on (December 4, 2012, 4:07 GMT)

Pointing is one of the greatest and Technique player I had seen . The way he playing for the Test , One -day may vary also depend upon the game . The Pull Shot played by him may be renamed as Pointing Shot

Posted by tanish2009 on (December 4, 2012, 3:41 GMT)

Dear Punter, Cricket is definitely going to miss you and we are going to miss a real champ.........your arrogance in batting was a kind of beauty to me.......you had been one of the most entertaining batsman in last two decades.......................a big salute to you .......man...........

Posted by   on (December 4, 2012, 2:25 GMT)

Great player's career comes to an end. What a player what an achievement.. Playing for 100 tests itself is big achievement and u r the part of 100 test wins.I dont think any one in the future can beat ur 100 test wins, as present generation is mostly concentrating on the T20s. If they play for 100 tests, i will consider it as they achieved ur 100 test wins

Posted by othello22 on (December 4, 2012, 1:47 GMT)

Ricky's comments here really do put things into perspective - Look at the players he's played against and the bowlers he's faced. Even on this thread, there are comments attempting to diminish Ponting's achievements by saying he never faced the great bowlers of his generation as they were all on his own team. Yet he faced Ambrose & Walsh, Wasim & Waqar, Shoaib Akhtar, Murali, Allan Donald and the list goes on. Those who don't like him will always find reason to bag him, but in the end he was the talisman that made Australia the unstoppable force they became.

Posted by Ozcricketwriter on (December 4, 2012, 1:42 GMT)

Never has a player had so much expectation to succeed, and actually managed to do it as well as Ricky Ponting had. Living in Tasmania when he was still a teenager, he was in the newspapers on a daily basis from when he was about 12 or 13 years old. Even when Greg Campbell was still playing test cricke, they said that he had a nephew who was better. We were told he would be the best batsman since Bradman, told that he would be the Australian test captain, told that he would lead Australia to never before seen greats. Nobody believed it. It wasn't the first time that they had said stuff like that. The fact that they promised even more from him than they had about, say, Jamie Cox, just made us all the more skeptical. But the fact that he succeeded, it just speaks volumes. The fact that, when he got the captaincy, he played better, says everything. In the end, he has failed since the others retired and probably should have quit 4 or 5 years ago when his test average was still 58.

Posted by   on (December 4, 2012, 1:24 GMT)

wen i was a kid,i always tried to imitate him..wear a cap two steps forward and ball is in stands over mid wicket region..simple class....have a gr8 life ahead~~~

Posted by arcticbeatle on (December 4, 2012, 0:28 GMT)

All that needs to be said:

ICC Player of the Year - 2006,2007 ICC Test Player of the Year - 2003, 2004, 2006 One-Day International Player of the Year - 2002 Allan Border Medal - 2004, 2006, 2007, 2009 Wisden Cricketer of the Year - 2006 Cricinfo Player of the Decade - 2000-09

Posted by   on (December 4, 2012, 0:10 GMT)

Lara and Ponting undoubtedly were better match winners than great Tendulkar! Lara is the best in terms of winning match singlehandedly, that's why watching him bat was more exciting!! Ponting you are a true legend of cricket & legends live forever, so shall you...

Posted by   on (December 3, 2012, 23:11 GMT)

Wish he had stayed until Ashes :(

Posted by anikeert on (December 3, 2012, 22:58 GMT)

Congratulations on a glorious career Ricky, take a break, chill, but please don't come back as a commentator, please.

Posted by   on (December 3, 2012, 22:30 GMT)

Title of the Ricky Ponting (auto)biography - "Raging PULL"! posted by hraghava on 03 Dec 2012.

You've said it, son! What a 'raging' imagination!

Posted by   on (December 3, 2012, 22:30 GMT)

A great player with perhaps one of the best Austrailan teams ever. Clarke will have a lot to look up to. Brings be back memories of how he single handedly decimated India in 2003 WC. Also remember one of his one day innings, I think was against SA, where both teams scored crazy amount of runs (400+).

Posted by Kays789 on (December 3, 2012, 21:43 GMT)

not the most decent bloke and was far too competitive for my liking. but there's no question about him being one of the best. most people however would find it hard to look past his umpteen on-field shenanigans that often brought the game down.

Posted by Nadeem1976 on (December 3, 2012, 17:39 GMT)

great comments by ponting. sachin, lara, ambrose, akram, kallis are all legends and deserve that praise from ponting.

Posted by mannan_ma on (December 3, 2012, 17:20 GMT)

Well said Ricky .Well done.Have a great time in the future.You have been a winner on the cricket field.Two world cup victories and innumerable wins in the test matches against all opposition really confirms your status as perhaps the greatest player of all time.You contributed to victories of your teams more than any other player in recent memory.And that's what sets you apart from others.Take a bow,mate.

Posted by baranasai on (December 3, 2012, 17:01 GMT)

He is a true legend and i felt the same when Dravid and lakshman left the scene /it is atrue privelege to watch these guys play in the tests ot one days.we will surely will miss people like Brian Lara Curtly Courtney walsh Shane warne Anil Kumble -the list goes on.I had the privelege of watching Gordon Greenidge Viv the great Chappell brothers Sunil G etc.It is an Era in the aussie cricket wherein we had very good batsmen but one by one they left the scene -the burden is on Michael to fill up the void.I wish him good luck.Perhaps we Indian fans love good players equally across all countries and We will cherish the Ponting Era .Good luck Mate V LOVE you.Please send it to Ricky for his personal atention

Posted by   on (December 3, 2012, 16:52 GMT)

Easily the best batsman Aus has produced in last few decades...it would be hard for Aus to find an apt replacement

Posted by Beazle on (December 3, 2012, 16:43 GMT)

He starts off saying Sachin is probably the beat but in the very next sentence contradicts himself by saying that he judge's such things on matchwinners and therefore says Lara gave him more sleepless nights than Sachin because he was a greater matchwinner.

Kinda sums up the whole world debate between the the two great players of the past 20 years. Impossible to split them.

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (December 3, 2012, 16:34 GMT)

Congratulations on a prolific career. Even though I didn't like you much as a player on field. But after meeting you in person 2 years back, I can say with conviction that you are simply a gem of a person with a great sense of humour. I normally don't follow test cricket much but I have also not been that ignorant to miss out on some of your special innings in test matches. I have a whole collection of DVDs that highlight your innings. That knock you played against India in the world cup finals in 2003 is simply out of this planet. It broke my heart and billions of Indian hearts but at the same time, we were all truly honoured to witness a majestic and error-free innings from one of the most gifted stroke makers of the modern era. Hope you have a merry 'second innings' after cricket.

Posted by Class-Apart on (December 3, 2012, 16:22 GMT)

i agree with pointing lara was player of his generation. a true match winner,

Posted by   on (December 3, 2012, 16:13 GMT)

Ricky you were fantastic......we will miss ur determination and class

Posted by CricLook on (December 3, 2012, 16:06 GMT)

To me you were the greatest batsman of modern era. I loved watching your batting. Stat not always reflect the effectiveness, destructive dominance of your batting. Love Lara, Love Ponting. Both of you guys always put the team first and dedicated yourself for the teams cause. Cricket fans all around the world will acknowledge this ...Hats off to you champ.!!..

Posted by 777aditya on (December 3, 2012, 15:54 GMT)

He is clearly overwhelmed by emotion. Otherwise, never expected Punter to get all mushy and softie and publicly admit that Bhajji got the better of him! My salute to a great batsman, fielder, and captain - cricket has lost its biggest villain! Hope against hope that Ponting plays in IPL for at least a year and gets better of the deflated Bhajji!

Posted by hraghava on (December 3, 2012, 15:46 GMT)

Title of the Ricky Ponting (auto)biography - "Raging PULL"!

Posted by Raghuraman46 on (December 3, 2012, 15:10 GMT)

Ricky you are gr8. You are very successful captain. Positive batsman.excellent batsman.gr8 team man.your winning % is really gr8.I am surprised why some people are comparing with other greats.no way Ricky is inferior to none.within his limitations his contribution to the world cricket is amazing.kudos.even today he is fittest guy in the world cricket.

Posted by   on (December 3, 2012, 14:32 GMT)

says sachin is the best but spends more time talking about lara :)

Posted by Matrix74 on (December 3, 2012, 14:11 GMT)

One of the greatest sportsman that I have ever seen,I can remember the day he started (some ware in Nov 1995) , his 1st test innings with Sri Lanka. he batted brilliantly. his style of mustard is famous among sri lankan fans as "Ponting Cut" . I must say " thank you,sir...for the greatest entertainment you have given to every cricket lovers" you are a truly a "spirit of cricket" . long live......

Posted by   on (December 3, 2012, 14:01 GMT)

The GUY I've Hated a lot watching him played probablly the best WC Final Knock against India......But Oflate......He started amazing me.....How Could I hate the one Playing such Pulls and Hooks awesomely.....HATS OFF to one of the BEST ENTERTAINERS EVER......

Posted by   on (December 3, 2012, 13:30 GMT)

Hats of u Ricky,Sachin is the greatest of all time,because he faces Australian attack is a best attack,and done well against Aussies,You also the best

Posted by ImpartialObserver on (December 3, 2012, 13:17 GMT)

I've always been a great fan of King Viv and then Sachin. However, I loved to watch Ricky bat. He never gave up his aggression till his last innings (which I did see too). And the fact that I got to see his trademark pull one last time, was gratifying. Needless to say, it is a shot I would want to watch Ricky hit every time he plays. There is a devil-may-care audacity about that shot of his. Will really miss you Ricky. I would not like his innings in India, just because he got so little chance of hooking or pulling, the pitches being low and slow. And I've also been fortunate to watch 2 of his greatest innings in the 2003 series against India. Will badly miss you and your aggression Punter. And thanks for one of the first punts you took, "Coming into cricket!"

Posted by cricketpurist on (December 3, 2012, 13:15 GMT)

A perfect Pull shot is patented by Punter. All others who attempt to do it are copy cats who can never match the original. Miss u forever

Posted by AbuUSA on (December 3, 2012, 13:15 GMT)

Not my favorite player. Infact annoying at times. No regrets to see him go and not score big towards end. However, do recognize that he was a good player.

Posted by AjaySridharan on (December 3, 2012, 13:14 GMT)

Hats off mate! What a career! While a flourishing finish would have been deserving, there is a certain humanly charm in going out the way he did. Good luck with your future life

Posted by CricketMaan on (December 3, 2012, 13:04 GMT)

So Ricky and Warnie commentating on Ashes next along side Gower and Hussain..that is going to wonderful to hear.

Posted by   on (December 3, 2012, 13:03 GMT)

The cricket fans of the globe will miss you, the great leader & modest person Ricky! I hope that the Cricket AUS will find some way to use ur great leadership capability for the betterment of the nation. Well done cricket, Ricky!

Posted by bismoy on (December 3, 2012, 13:02 GMT)

I guess Pressure to perform is making sachin and pointing fail rather than age ,techicnique .Pointing was highest run getter in domestic season and sachin scored century in domestic match.But somehow both are faling in international arena.

Posted by   on (December 3, 2012, 12:58 GMT)

Thank you Punter for all you gave to the cricket... you are an exceptional captain,batsman , fielder and a statesman...

The void you leave can be never ever be filled up.... cricket goes on and some one else will take up your position but it doesnt whether he plays or scores runs............

Posted by   on (December 3, 2012, 12:50 GMT)

and we will miss the Legend... one of the greatest of all time..... best of luck for the future....

Posted by   on (December 3, 2012, 12:50 GMT)

It's has been couple of days full of emotions within me, perhaps within lots of cricket fans! Ricky, you have been a great ambassador of the game, played among and against other great players, however, your professionalism, passion, competitiveness and sportsmanship make you different from the likes of Sachin, Lara, Kallis and others. We had thoroughly enjoyed your games even thou we hate you at a times because you had cause other teams and supporter grief. Truly, you are among the greats, who have ever played the game, we'll miss you! We Salute You, We Respect You and we wish you all the best and lots of happiness in your future! God Bless!!!

Posted by   on (December 3, 2012, 12:50 GMT)

If he wants a new sporting goal, I'd love to see Flintoff vs Ponting in the boxing ring.

Posted by   on (December 3, 2012, 12:46 GMT)

Farewell great batsman. You will be missed. One of great batsman of this era. Thank you for playing wonderful cricket and give us wonderful memories. Wish you all the best for your future endeavors. We will miss you.....

Posted by   on (December 3, 2012, 12:43 GMT)

Ponting is a man who never wanted to be defeated.........when I started seeing the game CRICKET....first in 2007.....in every match....Australia won by his captaincy ----That time he was a top class batsman......last few months he had bad days....but his records and magical career will be an ideal one to all CRICKET LOVERS....WELL DONE...RICKY PONTING

Posted by   on (December 3, 2012, 12:41 GMT)

Reminds me of the cracking innings he played against India at Jo'burg in 2003 world cup... Smashed Zaheer & co all around the park...well its treat to watch him play through these glorious 17 years ...will miss him....

Posted by AlvarotheAussie on (December 3, 2012, 12:38 GMT)

Good bye Punter. Wiping a tear from from eyes as a type this. Weʻll miss you mate. LEGEND :)

Posted by   on (December 3, 2012, 12:36 GMT)

As the last of his kind, I won't miss him. I hope he remains the last of the arrogant Aus generation that thought they were bigger than the game to the point that they would yell at umpires on the field. Claiming grounded catches, not walking, excessive chirping and making personal comments. So bad were things at one point that Sammy insulted Mcrath's wife who later died of cancer (in defense). That's just not cricket.

Posted by h4haseeb on (December 3, 2012, 12:33 GMT)

Ricky Ponting is without any doubt one of the best cricketers of his era, probably no one has achieved more than him in his time, being part of 3 world cup winning teams, and being captain in two of team is remarkable in itself. I would've loved to see more of him. Best of luck Ricky in your future. Hope to see you in commentary team or as a coach.

Posted by drdickdixon on (December 3, 2012, 12:26 GMT)

He may have got jeered in England as a bit of pantomime villain towards the end of his career but I doubt many England fans would turn down the opportunity to shake his hand and wish him well. A great player who unlike most sportsmen and their mealy-mouthed "take positives"-speak was brutally honest and upfront in interview when things weren't going so well. When he was cheered when interviewed having lost the 2009 Ashes in the UK he said "That's about the first cheer I've had all summer" with smile. For all his competitiveness and occasional over-stepping of the mark on the field that people have sneered at, this little sentence spoke volumes.

Posted by bobkhanrd on (December 3, 2012, 12:25 GMT)

I think between the years 2003 and the end of 2007 ashes he was in

his prime.Has scored centuries in each innings 3 times

during the period. Always on the attacking mode in

favourouble or the conditions otherwise. In terms of

match winning performances he is well ahead of Kallis,

SAchin or even Lara. Thanks for the memories Ricky! We will all miss you. Best wishes for great life after cricket!!

Posted by daager on (December 3, 2012, 12:23 GMT)

Well said, all the best Ricky. Tough day to bow out, and you handled youself really well..SA fan.

Posted by here2rock on (December 3, 2012, 12:19 GMT)

Ricky, you are a real champion mate, it does not matter you did not get the runs in the last innings. You have left your mark on the game. You were what every test player should be, play with your heart, play to win and never give up. God bless you and your family. Wishing you all the best in retirement and see you in the commentary team.

Posted by   on (December 3, 2012, 12:16 GMT)

We'll miss you too, sir. Cricket world surely will miss a great advert of the sport..may God bless Ricky Ponting and his family..was great watching u bat. You are ever green legend. Hats off to ya! Thanks for the memories. Cant forget captain innings against India back in 2003 WC finale. Never seen an OZ great like you. GOOD BYE.

Posted by sachin_vvsfan on (December 3, 2012, 12:07 GMT)

Wanted to see Ponting lift the Ashes in England. But that wasn't meant to be. (who knows he might lift ashes as a coach). You will be missed ponting. All the best for your future endeavors.

Posted by ali00 on (December 3, 2012, 12:05 GMT)

Hats Off to Great Legend Ponting.

Posted by   on (December 3, 2012, 12:04 GMT)

What a LEGEND...The Cricketing world will miss one of the best in business..

Thank U sir for the entertainment...We wish u and ur family all the best again

Posted by tshaka on (December 3, 2012, 12:04 GMT)

Ricky, on behalf of many South African supporters thank you for the memories. Your professionalism, passion, competitiveness and sportsmanship, although always a thorn in our side made for the best cricket. Wishing you everything of the best for the future. May the pitch be true and may life present you with many half volleys to deal with as exceptionally as you always did on the pitch. You have been a true embassador for cricket and you will be missed immensely by all true fans of the game.

Posted by Rajeshj on (December 3, 2012, 12:03 GMT)

Good bye Ricky... You chose the right time to go and you showed a lot of characters in your honest words.. You came across as an arrogant captain when you had stars in your team, but the true Ricky was to be seen at the later stage when you managed an inexperienced side so manfully... Good luck and enjoy your retirement career... I think a lot of selfish ex-players come out as commentators.. you gave a lot to your team members and people around you... so it would be nice to see you in a coaching role soon rather than the commentary stuff...

Posted by muhammadsafeer on (December 3, 2012, 12:01 GMT)

one of the best batsman against pace attack. we will miss ricky

Posted by   on (December 3, 2012, 11:58 GMT)

Well Ponting had another Bad day, but not a bad evening with his team Good luck for your new life other than Cricket.

Posted by   on (December 3, 2012, 11:56 GMT)

One Of the Greatest All Times ,Great to watch his batting and fielding ,Miss U a lot punter....................Long Live Legend.............

Posted by   on (December 3, 2012, 11:55 GMT)

Thank you Ricky for the wonderful memories. IMO the best batsman i have ever seen play the game. Will never forget that 156 at Old Trafford in 2005. And that 200 against Pakistan amongst others. Will never be another like Ricky Ponting...Ever! LEGEND!

Posted by   on (December 3, 2012, 11:55 GMT)

Ricky you are one of the great batsman of this era its just that you dont have to face Australian bowling attack and also Australian off field attack. Sachin have faced Mcgrath and Shan Warne. I wonder how many times they can get you out.....So in my book Sachin is the grated of all as he not only braved Aussie in the filed but off the field also..... Have a great future... we will miss you .....

Posted by   on (December 3, 2012, 11:53 GMT)

Had he debuted 15 years earlier or 15 years later he would have been undisputed best batsmen of his era. Having said that he is just second to the batsmen who are second and thrid greatest batsmen of all time. Sachin and Lara. Atleast he would have born in other country to call him best his country produced, unfortunately he missed that to greatest test batsmen of them all, Bradman. But he enjoyed more wins than both of put toghether. Atleast he would have been best fielder of all time, but then there is Jonty Rhodes. Thrice WC champion, 100 time test winner, one of the best batsmen of all time , one of the best fielders of alltime lost lot of historical significance to Sachin, Bradaman and Jonty rhodes.

Hail Ricky, definitely of the top 7 batsmen of all time. If Lara is hector, Sachin is Achillies you are Udysys

Posted by Kunal-Talgeri on (December 3, 2012, 11:53 GMT)

Ricky, you caused us grief in the 2003 WC final! What an innings that was -- it had a very Viv Richards-like majesty -- and all we could do in India was applaud. Your retirement has caused us grief too. (Had seen your Test debut on TV, as had my wife, and both of us yearned for a special innings from you.) Just wanted to see one more special innings off your blade. Will miss your class of batting... it was one of a kind. Hope cricket in some form keeps bringing you to India.

Posted by asiacricket1234 on (December 3, 2012, 11:46 GMT)

Im glad that SA win this test and the series but im really gutted that Ricky couldnt play a big innings. Would love to see one big innings from this great player :(. Good Luck Ricky Ponting :D

Posted by   on (December 3, 2012, 11:45 GMT)

Another great player says Good Bye to International Cricket, his aggressiveness will always be remembered and I consider him the best captain I have come across for his onfield and off field behavior, you are gonna certainly be missed. The sad part is one more Australian Legend leaves his last match on a losing streak like Hayden, Gilchrist and Mg Grath.. Miss You Punter and your approach :)

Cheers for your wonderful games to Cricket

Posted by SamRoy on (December 3, 2012, 11:44 GMT)

@Alexk400 Australia won because they had Hayden, Langer before him and Waugh twins, Martyn/ Symonds and Gilchrist after him. Whom did Lara have, except Chandepaul and Richie Richardson at the start of his career, no one else. Yes, Lara was not secure at the start of his innings like Kallis, Dravid or Sachin. But once he got set, Lara played like no one else I have seen play in the last 25 years. Easily the best batsman of his generation and no one comes near his class.

Posted by ali00 on (December 3, 2012, 11:44 GMT)

Good Luck Ponting on a long career and I feel now crying for you because cricket might miss you. I think I wont be able to watch cricket again because you are not at the field.Good luck with what you do in the future.

Posted by cricket-is-best on (December 3, 2012, 11:40 GMT)

A few days ago people were pointing fingers at that Harbhajan article,questioning his credibility to comment on ricky,although the former was by and large praising the latter.Today people can see for themselves,who the only 3 bowlers are, whose names ponting took.that should be the answer why harbhajan's comment was significant. on the other side it was a great gesture by the south african team, and shows why "CRICKET is BEST"! And finally hats off to a great career and some wonderful last words from the legend.Respect and admiration.

Posted by Saeed.Lodhi on (December 3, 2012, 11:40 GMT)

Never seen anyone play a pull shot better then PUNTER .... surely gonna miss his batting, be it be a Test or ODI ... he truly was one of the greats of the game .... used to get up in the wee hours (in Kuwait), only to see him bat .....

All the best for the future ! ! !

Posted by   on (December 3, 2012, 11:36 GMT)

Good bye punter.Thanks for the sweet memories of your batting and fielding.

Posted by   on (December 3, 2012, 11:29 GMT)

Farewell Ponting, u'll always be remembered one of the greatest batsman cricket has even seen. It was an utmost pleasure to see you bat.

Posted by   on (December 3, 2012, 11:20 GMT)

Ricky,

You are great, and truly Legend. Cricket will Miss you, and India will Miss you when Australia play against us. Happy retirement.

Posted by Alexk400 on (December 3, 2012, 11:15 GMT)

He was best player you want in your team if you want to win games. Great counter attacking batsman. Dravid can save games when teams in trouble , Ponting is exact opposite , when you thought down and dusted , he raise up and build and counter attack the opposition. Its like you give sweet to child and take it from them. He did it to many times india. Ponting is a gladiator in batting. He always played to win not for stats. Sachin may have simplest efficient energy saving strokes and Lara had the tenacity , ponting had the will to win anytime. He also inspired his team to believe in him. Aussies under him played without fear of losing. Greatest player better than sachin and lara in my humble opinion.

Posted by   on (December 3, 2012, 11:13 GMT)

The best player of all time.its sad to see him go.only can say that era ended with best of best.

Posted by   on (December 3, 2012, 11:12 GMT)

good bye Ricky,never mind last series...you were wonderful,even great Allan Border rates you only next to the greatest of them all DON BRADMAN...... very well done.... best wishes for second inning with your next team....your family....

Posted by ozwriter on (December 3, 2012, 11:10 GMT)

punter has turned into a good bloke. very humble and down to earth.

Tour Results