Australia v Sri Lanka, 3rd Test, Sydney, 4th day

A mournful chant for Hussey

Michael Hussey, the team man, was set apart as an individual as he batted for Australia one last time

Daniel Brettig at the SCG

January 6, 2013

Michael Hussey cuts in his final Test innings, Australia v Sri Lanka, 3rd Test, Sydney, 4th day, January 6, 2013
Michael Hussey was the finisher for Australia for one final time © Getty Images
Players/Officials: Michael Hussey
Series/Tournaments: Sri Lanka tour of Australia

About 40 minutes to tea the chant went up. Starting somewhere near the Bill O'Reilly Stand but quickly swelling to include most of the 10,505 in attendance, the call of "Hussey … Hussey … Hussey" reverberated around the SCG. In the Australian viewing area as he waited to go out to bat, Michael Hussey suggested quietly to the coach Mickey Arthur that it might not be a bad idea to take to the loudspeaker and ask the crowd to refrain.

Hussey had been overwhelmed, even embarrassed, by the wave of adulation sent his way this week, but this was something else entirely. Ed Cowan and Michael Clarke heard it loud and clear at the batting crease, as the ground witnessed that rarest of sounds - an Australian crowd baying for an Australian wicket. From his preferred perch in the Victor Trumper Stand, there is every chance that the national selector John Inverarity heard it too, after unilaterally ending Hussey's ODI career in the morning.

It was no surprise to hear the chant, given Hussey's last day as a Test cricketer had arrived. But the timing said much for the affection with which Hussey is held, and the sadness around Australia at his retirement. However logical the selectors' reasons, there was much public discontent at the news that this would be Hussey's final international appearance, only adding to the pathos of his departure at the start of a year in which India and England await. The call for Hussey went beyond a cry for one more innings - Australian cricket simply does not want him to go.

"I would've liked to play but the selectors spoke to me and said they're starting to look towards the 2015 World Cup and that's fine," Hussey said, accepting the final curtain with grace. "I understand where they're trying to go with it. It would've been nice to play but I totally understand where the selectors are going, no worries.

"What a place to finish. The SCG's probably in my top three favourite grounds in the whole world. The crowd support and support in general has been a bit overwhelming really. I've been a little bit embarrassed by it to be honest. But in a way I'm quite relieved that it's over now. The stress, the pressure, I can just relax away from that now and I don't have that sick feeling in my stomach before every game or before I bat.

"I think it would be hard in a lot of ways to go around and get that in every one day game. I've had a great opportunity here. It couldn't have ended any better. I feel very proud to have been able to wear the baggy green cap. I've achieved a lot more in my career than I ever dreamed I could, so I feel very fortunate. The game has given me so much."

When Clarke obliged to the chant, squeezing Tillakaratne Dilshan to short leg, another 37 runs remained to be gathered. One final time, Hussey would be the finisher. This he did with typical aplomb, busily compiling 27 not out in 28 minutes to bring the match to a finish. There was one final flourish to remember him by too, a delectable reverse sweep from the bowling of Rangana Herath that scuttled to the third-man boundary.

It was the sort of shot he would never have considered in his early days as an opening batsman, but typified the gathering of skills both unorthodox and not to make him such an accomplished exponent in all formats. His running between the wickets was decisive and focused as ever, at one point waving Matthew Wade through for a single with the kind of urgency any junior coach should seek to instil in their young batsmen.

Hussey's favourite memory as an Australian Test batsman was the moment in which he scored the winning runs at the end of the dramatic Adelaide Ashes Test of 2006. This time he did not notch the winning single, even insisting to Mitchell Johnson that the winning runs be scored as they came, not engineered for a photo opp as Australia completed a 3-0 sweep of Sri Lanka.

"I was was telling Mitch the over before, if it comes up that you hit it, let's just get it over with," Hussey said. "I was hoping we could make the runs none down, then I was hoping that Pup and Ed were going to be there at tea, because the crowd were starting to get a bit vocal and I was going to make sure they finished the job as well. I was more than happy just to be out there when the winning run was hit, it was a dream come true."

Once the winning run was found, Hussey's celebrations were reserved. He took in the sights and sounds of the SCG one final time, then walked to the boundary's edge, where in a broadcast interview he made a concession to the curiosity of the crowds that had so feted him this week. Hussey had intended to tell the team his choice of the man to lead their victory song "Under the Southern Cross" in the privacy of the dressing room. But now, with so many watching, he allowed them to know that he had chosen Nathan Lyon, a man of similarly uncomplicated character and unbridled joy in playing for Australia.

"I picked Nathan because I think he's a man of great character," Hussey said. "I think he plays the game for the right reasons, I think he understands and respects the fabric of the baggy green cap, and that's what I want to come through from him when he leads the team songs in the future. Not to say the other guys don't, but I think he's a man of great character and the people before me have had great character, so I want to look for those sorts of traits in the next song master."

It was those traits that had the SCG chanting Hussey's name. He has been close to the ultimate team man, but on this day he had been set apart as an individual. Uncomfortable as he may have felt at the time, in years to come Hussey is bound to remember the chant fondly. He earned it.

Daniel Brettig is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo. He tweets here

RSS Feeds: Daniel Brettig

Posted by zenboomerang on (January 9, 2013, 2:13 GMT)

@Ramanujam Sridhar :- "the name "MR cricket' is hardly the name which suits someone who was the ultimate team man"... Actually the exact opposite is correct - Michael Hussey was the ultimate professional with his training, preparation before & through Tests, ODI's, T20's series, his team support, his respect for the opposition, his public comments & his batting stats in all 3 formats - aka "Mr Cricket" - the term is a salute to the man for his allround contribution to cricket...

Posted by zenboomerang on (January 9, 2013, 2:12 GMT)

@Rajiv Radhakrishnan :- "Well why did he announce his retirement before he (Hussey) played his last Test?"... Because he is a true team man & thought more about his team mates & management - with a crammed summer season this early call allowed selectors time to re-evaluate squads & give new members time to adjust to these demands - there was after all, only 3 days between the Test & the ODI summer start...

Posted by   on (January 7, 2013, 9:00 GMT)

"Hussey had been overwhelmed, even embarrassed, by the wave of adulation sent his way this week". Well why did he announce his retirement before he played his last Test? You can tell a lot about a player about when he announces his retirement? Alec Stewart and Steve Waugh did it at the beginning of their final series. And they loved the attention. People like Mark Taylor and Mike Atherton did it after they had played their last Test, to avoid the distraction.

Posted by maddy20 on (January 7, 2013, 7:49 GMT)

A perfect batsman for any format, a great finisher in limited overs above all very consistent. What more could anyone ask for? Adios Mr.Cricket. Wish you the best for whatever you wanna do next.

Posted by   on (January 7, 2013, 7:22 GMT)

Great fan of yours,Huss! will miss you in Baggy Green..but i rejoice in the fact that i'll still see you in Chennai Super Kings Yellow!! :-) best luck,mate!!

Posted by   on (January 7, 2013, 6:38 GMT)

Actually the name "MR cricket' is hardly the name which suits someone who was the ultimate team man. Though he played at the time when Australia had a cussed but talented individual at the top - Ricky Ponting- he remained polite, smiling and always doing his best for the team. He has won so many games for australia and they will miss his finishing ability. His catching in the gully and the absolutely surety with which he took skiers. I remember several innings of his, arguably the best feature of his game was his silken cover driving. He was a player in the Alan Border mould, only a lot more graceful and a lot less grumpier. Will miss you huss, but not as much as the team is going to miss you . Ramanujam Sridhar

Posted by SkylaDark on (January 7, 2013, 6:08 GMT)

We'll always love you Mr. Cricket. :')

Posted by SamRoy on (January 7, 2013, 5:28 GMT)

It was a privilege to watch you play. That's all I want to say.

Posted by landl47 on (January 7, 2013, 5:21 GMT)

In 2005 the ODI series and T20I game were held before the Ashes. I couldn't believe at the time that Hussey, who played brillinatly in the shorter format games, was not in the test squad. He might have made the difference in that series.

He has always been the epitome of the unselfish team man and many players could take a lesson from him. I for one will be very sorry not to see him play any more tests, though I applaud him for making his decision for the right reasons.

Posted by   on (January 7, 2013, 4:16 GMT)

It was a treat watching Mr. Cricket play!!! Best of Luck!!

Posted by amit.chippa on (January 7, 2013, 3:57 GMT)

Thank you, Huss!

You were one of the Fav's and the Humble, Team Player! You were Great to watch! I wonder how it would have been if you were debuted in your 20's.... But nevertheless, your Career span was Awesome because of your Talent and the Good Spirit. You'll be always missed and remembered same like Beven.

You Rock!

Thank you for the memories!

Posted by Mitch069 on (January 7, 2013, 3:44 GMT)

Hussey has been excellent bat for Australia and is one among highly popular cricketers world over. it is sad that cricket is losing another classic batsman. If Khawaja comes in to replace Hussey then he should bat at 4 as this will allow Watson to bat at 6 and bowl more overs, we need Watson both batting and bowling. I would have considered D Hussey but at 35, the younger Hussey brother would only be a short-term solution nor has it been a happy Shield season for him this summer with 120 runs at 17. Mike Hussey (Mr Cricket). I will always be a true fan. Enjoyed watching you from the stands and on TV for the past 10 years. Your work ethic on the field was exceptional and inspirational, not only to the cricket fraternity but sport in general. Warmest wishes to you and your family.

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (January 7, 2013, 3:25 GMT)

When my team is in crisis, I don't want any guy other than Huss to come to the rescue. I would pit my life's bet on Mike to get the job done for the team. A genuine match winner par excellence. The 'Michael Bevan' of test cricket !!! Hat's off to you Huss.

Posted by balajik1968 on (January 7, 2013, 1:28 GMT)

One of the finest modern cricketers. Let us say goodbye.

Posted by Meety on (January 7, 2013, 0:30 GMT)

Great stuff Huss. On the one hand, I thought he'd play another 3 or 4 years, but retrospectively (the skipping the ODI series in England), retirement was coming a whole lot sooner. Great bloke, & cricketer, hopefully he'll hang around in the Shield for a season or two & help Langar sort some of the BS going on over in WA!

Posted by dunger.bob on (January 7, 2013, 0:14 GMT)

@ disc.bob : "At 37 another year at work is not like carrying on after you turn 65". Believe me, when your body and mind taps you on the shoulder and says 'I've had enough' it's virtually impossible to rage against the tide. .. I, for one, am very happy that Huss didn't try to ignore the signals. Going out on top is far better than having people say "what's wrong with Huss, he doesn't seem to have his heart in it anymore? Let's drop him"

@ Fifthman on (January 06 2013, 12:05 PM GMT) : " his absence in the coming Ashes series has tilted the odds decisively in England's favour" .. I'd rather see that than a half hearted Huss who spends his time wishing he was back home with his family. .. it's time for Au to move on, that's what Huss would want. .. btw, it's nice to see the English wrapping themselves in their their cloak of complacency. I hope the players have the same attitude as the fans, should be a lot of fun if they do.

Posted by MrKricket on (January 6, 2013, 22:05 GMT)

My favourite cricketer is gone. I was happy to be there on his second last day and see him take that catch. The crowd just loved him. He's the guy you'd have playing for your life - forget anyone else! What has surprised me is how much it appears he was loved and respected outside Australia. Even the Poms! Next thing a Kiwi will write something nice! Farewell Mr Cricket.

Posted by   on (January 6, 2013, 20:50 GMT)

As a couch potato / cricket tragic I sat and watched Husseys final chapter unfold with tears in my eyes. What the... crying over a sportsman`s retirement? Never happened before , many before him , Chapple Border Lillee Marsh Ponting Gilchrist , did`nt shed a tear for them. But then in so many ways you were and still are above all of them for character and fanatic love of the game. You will be missed on the field, and if Aust cricket wants to reach the top again take on the role of manager and instil your ways. Goodbye Mr Cricket

Posted by aleem.abn on (January 6, 2013, 20:12 GMT)

You were, are and will be my favourite crickter......Wish I get a chance to meet you personally...........!!!!

Posted by   on (January 6, 2013, 19:47 GMT)

Love you hussey. You were better than tendulkar in my view because whenever you scored, mostly aussies won it. In my whole life you will be a crcketer to remember. We pakistanis luv u mr.cricket. Salute!!!

Posted by   on (January 6, 2013, 18:11 GMT)

He know the game better than anyone in the world..Salute to the master

Posted by   on (January 6, 2013, 17:55 GMT)

Hussey was remarkable cricketer, gentleman and the man who knew when to retire! However, its sad he did not get opprotunity to play the ODI and somehow the selectors abruptly ended his carreer. A Hats of to you!

Posted by krik8crazy on (January 6, 2013, 17:37 GMT)

He came, he saw, he conquered, and he is gone! Can't believe Hussey's career is over already. It seems like yesterday that he started his much delayed international career. His numbers are impressive as they are and when you factor in the very short time in which he accomplished them, they look even more impressive. Well done, Hussey - great career and great timing on retirement. Enjoy life post cricket.

Posted by CricketMaan on (January 6, 2013, 17:19 GMT)

Hope u play for CSK again and ROAR..can't wait to see you in yellows!!

Posted by Chicagoan76 on (January 6, 2013, 16:57 GMT)

There are very few players playing for the opposing team that you cant begrudge, and Hussey was one of those guys. He was a tough opponent and you wanted to see the back of him during the match, but you always liked and respected him. Great guy and stubbornly good.

Posted by Chris_P on (January 6, 2013, 16:19 GMT)

A sincere privelege to have watched him go around with the baggy green. Top drawer character & cricketer, I salute you Mr Cricket. Good luck in future to you & your family.

Posted by BnH1985Fan on (January 6, 2013, 16:03 GMT)

Move to and qualify for India -- you will NEVER be dropped even if you perform poorly. Just look at chances Indian selectors give to its ageing stars! Of course, you'll probably not win many matches, so may be you will not wan to spoil your winning record after all. Fabulous player, you will be missed!

Posted by   on (January 6, 2013, 15:38 GMT)

Great accolades here from genuine cricket fans, it warms the heart of a fellow West Australian. We will miss you huss.

Posted by here2rock on (January 6, 2013, 14:52 GMT)

The thing I loved about Hussy was his passion for the game. He made his presence felt. His preparation and planning for every game was an example for any cricketer wishing to succeed at high level. Hussey, a real gentle man but a very tough competitor. Enjoy your retirement and fatherhood with your young family.

Posted by Biggus on (January 6, 2013, 14:46 GMT)

We'll surely not see the likes of Huss again in a hurry. I really feel a little sad, and I don't often get sentimental about cricket, but that's the measure of the man. As selfless a player as I've ever seen, wonderfully adaptable, tremenous fielder, just a champ, both as a cricketer and a human being it would seem.

Posted by yorkslanka on (January 6, 2013, 14:03 GMT)

Hussey was simply an amazing player who always performed for his country. He also played the game the right way and will be sorely missed from world cricket..the thing about him was that he would come in to bat and before you know he would be 30's + without a shot in anger..that's pure class...good luck Mr Cricket and thanks for the entertainment...

Posted by hnlns on (January 6, 2013, 13:24 GMT)

To me, he was THE BEST cricketer in recent times, just looking at how late he started his test career, his excellent physical fitness measured by his hare-like running between wickets, backed of course by the big runs he made in all forms of cricket. His test average must be one of the best in recent times, not forgetting his 70 to 80 average in the early stages of his career. As a fielder, he was outstanding too. What more can anyone expect from a cricketer past 35 years. I have seen that he was a big contributor to CSK's success in winning IPL. Truly a legendary figure in contemporary cricket. All the best Mr. Cricket.

Posted by   on (January 6, 2013, 13:19 GMT)

Sad to see another brilliant cricketer leaving the field. All the very best Hussy for your future, hope to see you in another role on the field.

Posted by sherishahmir on (January 6, 2013, 13:11 GMT)

Goodbye! to world one of the most finest player, people r talking about Bradman, Border,Warne,Ponting, Gilly the greatest Australian/world cricketers, in my opinion Hussy (Mr.Cricket) is probably the top of them, he is not only the one of all time great Australian player but also be among the top among rest of world players list, the commitment, passion, love, enthusiasm, we saw in Mr.Cricket probably found very rare elsewhere. Micheal Bevan used to be one day specialist, where Mr.Cricket is the specialist in all formats of game and on the top one of the best fielder too. Sad year to Australian cricket in special and in general to world cricket, when players like Ponting and Hussey r leaving the game, who had such a deep impact on the game, which is unforgettable and great in nature to enjoy, but this the limitation that all greats have to leave the game at some time, wish you, Mr.Cricket all the best.

Posted by   on (January 6, 2013, 12:36 GMT)

True legend of Australian cricket.....happy moments for England & India !!

Posted by Ratesh on (January 6, 2013, 12:35 GMT)

He was a true a professional. He never swore at anybody unlike other Aussie cricketers. He always commanded respect and he always got it not only from his countrymen but from people across the world. For me he is no less than Sachin or Lara. Disappointed for his untimely exit from international cricket. Hope he continues to entertain us thru IPL.

Posted by   on (January 6, 2013, 12:33 GMT)

@MaruthuDelft.

FYI, the 2 epics teach lots of good things other than heroism.

Posted by   on (January 6, 2013, 12:29 GMT)

many great cricketers came and many went but no one got the THE nickname "MR Cricket "!!!! he's the best batsman in the world ......he can play both shorter as well as longer format of the great game of cricket ..... he's certainly one of the best players Australian Cricket has produced !!! hats off man !!! and on top of that he's a great man !!! so .... good bye Mr Cricket .... and best of luck for your remaining journey of life

Posted by cheeseburgers on (January 6, 2013, 12:24 GMT)

A complete Cricketer in all format of the game - Mr Cricket!!!

PS: Ajmal was so happy seeing retiring Hussey that he bagged a five-for against India in dead rubber today :)

Posted by IndianInnerEdge on (January 6, 2013, 12:22 GMT)

Farewell to an awesome player, thorough team man, a man who lived the game....somany gr8 memories, such an exemplary player, who played it tough and fair, what an inspiration to the youngsters....We wish he was indian...Farewell-Huss-all the best for the future-from ur indian fans:)

Posted by disco_bob on (January 6, 2013, 12:16 GMT)

I can still remember the consistent calls from Australian supporters to drop him during his brief lean patch not too long ago. On another note one wonders why Invers did not suggest to Hussey that if he retires now it will rule him out of further ODI duties as well. Judging by Hussey's surprise now at being dropped it would seem that this was not brought up at the time. Hussey has been playing well and it's hard to believe that he really wasn't enjoying it any more. At 37 another year at work is not like carrying on after you turn 65

Posted by Fifthman on (January 6, 2013, 12:05 GMT)

Michael Hussey is true gentleman and a true embodiment of Cricket's values. He's also a damn fine player and his wicket was one that, as an English supporter, I always wanted to see fall cheaply as I knew the damage he could do. He pretty much stood between England and a complete rout of the Aussies in the last Ashes, and I respect him for that. But his absence in the coming Ashes series has tilted the odds decisively in England's favour...

Posted by olly_76 on (January 6, 2013, 12:02 GMT)

Wonderful career, he played the game how real enthusiasts like to see the game played - sky high skill level, a totally committed team man and always excited to be playing.

Posted by KingOwl on (January 6, 2013, 11:48 GMT)

I don't know too much about Hussey the man - but generally speaking, no news is good news, when it comes to sportsmen's character. So, I think Hussey deserves the accolades he is getting!

Posted by   on (January 6, 2013, 11:38 GMT)

Can't believe the selectors dumped him. I didn't know it was a "push" and not a "jump". Had he been in India or Pakistan cricket set up, he would easily play another 5 years.

Posted by Jayzuz on (January 6, 2013, 11:36 GMT)

Yes, a very special player, a true embodiment of sportsmanship and self-discipline. I'll miss him greatly. Thank you, Michael Hussey.

Posted by sarowar86 on (January 6, 2013, 11:32 GMT)

@ salute u............. u have been a remarkable cricketer . You will be remember as a synonym of mature cricket...........

Posted by MaruthuDelft on (January 6, 2013, 11:32 GMT)

Hussey is a treasure. He is the ultimate antithesis of heroism. I hope Hussey would go on to train to be a primary school teacher to shape up the upcoming generation. An Indian school must get him. India is reeling because of the teaching of heroism by its two epics. Indian schools need people like Hussey to turn it around.

Posted by Jaffa79 on (January 6, 2013, 11:28 GMT)

A great of the modern game and a rare one one too; humble and understated Australians come around like Halley's comet.

Posted by   on (January 6, 2013, 11:21 GMT)

This was the fitting goodbye for such a legend of cricket! I don't think any other player who retired had a crowd of 10,000 chanting his name throughout the test and also a wonderful guard of honor! He deserves absolutely everything for his commitment, passion, determination, hard work and humility. What a player for Australia...What a ambassador for cricket...And most of all what a wonderful human being...Perfection and attention to detail is Mr Cricket...Just as he was there on countless occasions to win a match for australia it was only fitting that he was out there today also....I will sorely miss you mike hussey...ur my favorite cricketer and idol and there are so many unforgettable memories you've given everyone...Thank you, and best of luck for ur next phase of life

Posted by   on (January 6, 2013, 11:02 GMT)

Mr Cricket.....thank u very much. Cricket was never dull when you were at the crease. Thank you VERY MUCH for all the entertainment and wonderful batting.

Posted by   on (January 6, 2013, 10:52 GMT)

Chennai Super Kings will miss you.... God bless you...

Posted by doubtingthomas on (January 6, 2013, 10:41 GMT)

I sincerely hope the young brigade adopts the ethics embodied by the seniors,and play the game for the right reasons. A good cricketer lives longer than just the 10 odd years he spends representing his country. Priorities of youngsters are displaced these days, they've brought disrepute to the beautiful game. Hussey, Ricky, Dravid, Laxman ....may your legacy thrive.

Posted by here2rock on (January 6, 2013, 10:40 GMT)

Hussey, a great team man and a complete cricketer.

Posted by tickcric on (January 6, 2013, 10:16 GMT)

Hussey made that unorthodox reverse sweep so very orthodox. Cricket pundits sometime point to us the balance, the minute attention and timing of a beautifully executed cover drive, for instance. I think that reverse sweep of Herath could or should be analysed with same sort of adulation... An incredible player, its a pity that we could see the 50+ average player for only 7 years in the international scene. Nevertheless it was great having you in international cricket Mike Hussey. Thank You.

Posted by AussieKev on (January 6, 2013, 10:11 GMT)

My son and I were at Huss's first SCG test and his last. Great career and thanks for the great memories.

John Inverarity, give yourself an uppercut! You say you have an over-riding responsibilty to the future od Australian cricket, but you have an equal responsibilty to the paying public. If I had spent my hard-earned money and been looking forward to the ODIs for months, I'd be mightily annoyed to find out Hussey, Clarke and Warner weren't playing.

Posted by   on (January 6, 2013, 10:09 GMT)

we miss you MR.cricket good bye

Posted by   on (January 6, 2013, 10:06 GMT)

hussey though performing well for australia, the selectors has asked him to go to think of 2015...its actually a shame in d sense that who knows if these selectors r alive or not by 2015 to pick the team..Then this is a lesson for india..though guys like sehwag, gambhir hasnt been performing for 2 yrs now,they r still retained..ridiculously ridiculous!!!

Posted by   on (January 6, 2013, 10:01 GMT)

hussy your talent can't describe in words.

Posted by   on (January 6, 2013, 10:00 GMT)

hussy 'mr cricket' is less for you. the great player not only for australia but also for world cricket.

Posted by   on (January 6, 2013, 9:56 GMT)

i feel like to cry because cricket and i miss u lot Mr. cricket. i went to see cricket in 1st day of his last test match and when he start to bowl, everyone is just clapping till the end of his over finished. u are legend, u are hero and if someone ask me what do u want to be then my answer will be michael hussey( Mr.cricket). i got one dream and that is to meet u one day.

Posted by   on (January 6, 2013, 9:49 GMT)

Take a Bow Mr. Cricket.....Cricket Australia will miss you in Big Time

Posted by Fareen on (January 6, 2013, 9:40 GMT)

Shameful act by John Inverarity. How tough was it to give him one ODI to bid farewell? As if Australia have so many players standing in line to replace Hussey. Shame, and perfectly happy to see the Aussie crowd showed what they thought of the decision. Goodbye Michael, you're a true legend!

Posted by   on (January 6, 2013, 9:13 GMT)

Hussey...what a legend. Sad we wont be able to see you at the Ashes. You and Clarkey were the single pair of hope for the back to back to Ashes.......Aussie Cricket is going to struggle without you. Happy to know you are still playing the IPL, so long till April 2013.

Daniel BrettigClose
Daniel Brettig Assistant editor Daniel Brettig had been a journalist for eight years when he joined ESPNcricinfo, but his fascination with cricket dates back to the early 1990s, when his dad helped him sneak into the family lounge room to watch the end of day-night World Series matches well past bedtime. Unapologetically passionate about indie music and the South Australian Redbacks, Daniel's chief cricketing achievement was to dismiss Wisden Almanack editor Lawrence Booth in the 2010 Ashes press match in Perth - a rare Australian victory that summer.
Tour Results
Australia v Sri Lanka at Melbourne - Jan 28, 2013
Sri Lanka won by 2 runs (D/L method)
Australia v Sri Lanka at Sydney - Jan 26, 2013
Sri Lanka won by 5 wickets (with 7 balls remaining)
Australia v Sri Lanka at Hobart - Jan 23, 2013
Australia won by 32 runs
Australia v Sri Lanka at Sydney - Jan 20, 2013
No result
Australia v Sri Lanka at Brisbane - Jan 18, 2013
Sri Lanka won by 4 wickets (with 180 balls remaining)
More results »