Australia v Sri Lanka, 3rd ODI, Brisbane January 16, 2013

Wade clears the air with Healy

Matthew Wade has met with Ian Healy in Brisbane ahead of Friday's third one-day international and cleared the air over Healy's strong criticism of Wade's wicketkeeping last week. Wade said he took Healy's words as "constructive" and believed that while he had made a reasonable start to his international career over the past year, he knew the time had come for him to "go up a level".

Wade is back in Australia's ODI squad after being rested for the first two matches and in the lead-up to the one-day series he was the subject of harsh judgment from Healy, who during a radio interview said Wade had made all sorts of mistakes during the Test summer. However, Wade said he had spoken to Healy last week and met him in Brisbane on Tuesday to discuss how to improve his wicketkeeping.

"I took it as constructive," Wade said in Brisbane on Wednesday. "I flew up a couple of hours early yesterday and went and had a coffee with him and had a catch. We went through a few little different bits and pieces. I suppose it would have been easy for me to get grumpy about it. But I took it on board and I've tried to work on a few things. He's one of the best keepers who has ever played. His feedback is always welcome.

"I think there was a build-up to his comments [on radio] ... I rang him straight away and had a chat to him about it. He was a little bit disappointed about what had been written and said. I'm sure he'll call me up next time and deliver it straight to me instead."

Wade believes his time off following the Test series against Sri Lanka has allowed him to freshen up and has been especially valuable given the busy year he has had since becoming Australia's preferred gloveman in all formats. Over the past year, Wade has played 47 of a possible 50 matches for Australia in all formats and his heavy workload is set to continue on the upcoming tours of India and England.

But the man he replaced, Brad Haddin, performed impressively with bat and gloves when given a chance in the ODI side for the first two matches against Sri Lanka, and will keep the pressure on Wade if Australia take two wicketkeepers on their Test trips this year. Wade said he was pleased with how his first 12 months in the team had gone and after his short break he was ready to embark on another busy year.

"I think in general it's been a decent start," Wade said. "It's definitely something to build on. I've been in the team for 12 months now and I've got to look to get better and improve from now, from this point onwards, look to go up a level. That little break is almost the 12-month break for me. I got into the team last year in the Twenty20s so it's almost been 12 months to sit down and reflect on what I've done and now look to push my career further and further.

"I've definitely rocked up now after ten days off and feel really fresh. I'm excited to go to training and have a catch and have a bat. I'm not sure what the effects would have been down the line [if not rested], it's too hard to say, but all I can say is I'm ready to go."

Brydon Coverdale is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo. He tweets here

• ozziespirit on January 19, 2013, 16:14 GMT

This is embarrassing. England have Prior, we have Wade. And 74 all out to top it all off. All us Australian fans are now going to have to sit through back-to-back Ashes defeats, that's going to be fun..

• Shaggy076 on January 19, 2013, 0:45 GMT

Front-Foor-Lunge; The argument has always been with the gloves, I cant see how you can justify that he failed with the gloves this game? Please enlighten us.

• Front-Foot-Lunge on January 18, 2013, 9:59 GMT

Fortunately, I can't wait to see those that are usually absent from these boards in a crisis (Randy, that's you) respond to 74 all out and Wade failing with both gloves and bat yet again. Just how's he getting on again?

• Front-Foot-Lunge on January 18, 2013, 9:55 GMT

@RandyOZ, Welcome back mate, we missed you for the last few months and thousand Ashes. No doubt we won't see you for a few now after the 74 all out. Funny stuff.

• Liquefierrrr on January 18, 2013, 2:39 GMT

@TommytuckerSaffa - good try, but Clarke now bats for so long that he faces the new ball again because he can bat right up to the next new ball, even the one after. He bats right into stumps, thus faces the opening bowlers fresh each morning, and simply outplayed the excellent Amla.

Amla is my favourite cricketer, so my bias, if any, would lie with him. But Clarke had a season that was so special it rewrote history in terms out output and the size of scores. His 4 x biggest knocks of the year resulted in him seeing at least 1, at times 2 brand new balls, and saw him bat over at least 2 days, ensuring he faced fresh bowlers, at times with brand new balls. So your argument doesn't make sense when put into context.

Nothing wrong with national pride, but when you attempt to undercut the fabulous, history-making year Clarke had you move past national pride into denial.

Amla may be the better batsman, though not by much and time will tell, but Clarke had the better year by far. End of.

• Shaggy076 on January 17, 2013, 22:03 GMT

Front-Foot-Lunge; I saw that series but you said 5 years of domination so I checked what happened 5 years ago. Tommy-Tucker-Saffa Australia and South Africa have now played 2 series together and although Amla has been brilliant Clarke has outperformed him. And from comments you have posted previously Clarke has faced the better bowling attack. Hiding at number 5, cmon why would you change someone who is averaging a 100.

• RandyOZ on January 17, 2013, 16:36 GMT

You know the English get worried when they crawl out from under their rocks (after going silent for the entire SA and Pakistan series) and start chirping. Funny stuff.

• TommytuckerSaffa on January 17, 2013, 15:25 GMT

@Shaggy076 I think you will find Hashim Amla is the worlds greatest batsman. Unlike Clarke he doesnt hide from the new ball by batting at 5 while debutants careers are left in tatters by being forced to bat above him. (quiney, etc)

• TommytuckerSaffa on January 17, 2013, 15:20 GMT

Good, im glad Wade had a chat to Healy because boy oh boy did he need it. Some would say because of Wade's lack of keeping skills, Aus lost the series to SA and in doing so - the No.1 ranking. We all remember Wade dropping Faff de could we forget....Bring Healy out of retirement or get Haddin back in now!!! Especially before touring England. For Aus, touring England is like climbing mt everest without any clothes on - cold and certain doom!

• Front-Foot-Lunge on January 17, 2013, 12:22 GMT

@Shaggy076, Looks like someone should have asked Santa Claus for a couple of DVD's this Christmas. Starting with the 2009 Ashes. Boy have you got some catching up to do :)