West Indies in Australia, 2012-13

Sarwan recalled after 18-month absence

Daniel Brettig

January 16, 2013

Ramnaresh Sarwan takes in the applause, West Indies v India, 2nd ODI, Trinidad, June 8, 2011
Ramnaresh Sarwan is back in the West Indies fold after an 18-month absence during which he took legal action against the WICB © Associated Press

Last year Ramnaresh Sarwan was a litigant of West Indies cricket. Today he is again a representative of the region, having been recalled to the limited overs team for the tour of Australia.

Sarwan's return follows an 18-month absence from the team, during which he claimed to have been hurt "mentally and emotionally" by national team's coaching regime.

In September it was revealed that Sarwan had won $161,000 in damages from the WICB after his fitness was publicly denigrated by the board when they dropped him from the list of centrally contracted players in 2010.

"I'm happy to be back in the team. Obviously I've been out for a while, but it feels really good to be back representing West Indies," Sarwan said. "I am hitting the ball pretty well. It's a matter of me trying to get myself in and settle down and look to get big scores for the team."

The return of Sarwan to the national team had appeared unlikely last year, when he turned out for Leicestershire rather than West Indies during their tour of England early in the northern summer. At the time Sarwan spoke of the low ebb he had reached prior to being dropped, and the scant support he felt he had received.

"The coach said some negative stuff that hurt me mentally and emotionally," Sarwan told BBC Sport in May last year. "Mentally I was broken down, not from the stress of playing, it's just certain individuals have drained me mentally. It took a toll on my confidence and the way I play. Everything went away.

"I'm away from all those problems, my mind is at ease and I have had nothing to worry about, no coach to say any negative things. At one point I didn't know which was my back foot and which was my front foot. Now I'm much better, more precise with my movements, everything crystal clear in my head.

"I never spoke about this because I was caught up in a shell and I used to not come out of my house for up to three days. My dad was the one to inspire me to start back playing."

Sarwan prospered in England, making 294 runs at 36.75 for Leicestershire in limited overs matches and 941 at 40.91 in first-class competition, though his recent run in the Caribbean domestic T20 have been less promising - score of 8, 1, 2 and 7 in four matches for Guyana.

The serious facial injury suffered by Marlon Samuels while playing for the Melbourne Renegades during the Big Bash League ruled him out of selection for the tour, which includes five ODIs and one Twenty20, opening the way for the left-hand batsman and right-arm off spin bowler Narsingh Deonarine to be included.

Otherwise the squad is largely as expected, Darren Sammy leading a team that will also feature Chris Gayle, Kieron Pollard and Kemar Roach after their BBL exploits down under this summer. The tourists will arrive in Australia on January 26, and play a warm-up fixture against the Prime Minister's XI in Canberra on January 29.

West Indies squad: Darren Sammy (capt), Dwayne Bravo, Tino Best, Darren Bravo, Johnson Charles, Narsingh Deonarine, Chris Gayle, Jason Holder, Sunil Narine, Kieron Pollard, Kieran Powell, Kemar Roach, Andre Russell, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Devon Thomas

Daniel Brettig is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo. He tweets here

RSS Feeds: Daniel Brettig

Posted by WestIndianInDA on (January 17, 2013, 18:21 GMT)

If Sarwan is the wrong choice at this time, my question is who could have been a better choice for this tour? It appears once again we would rather heap the load of runs scoring on Gayle surrounded by young players learning the trade and expect to survive. Are we going out there to trying and win the series or to blood new/young players for the future? Sure we can give young players a go if the series were to be played here in the Caribbean, but to send them to debut in Australia and expect a miracle is asking too much of them. In the absence of Samuels I believe Sarwan is a good choice with experience and his figures are better than the rest. What the current young players need to do on this tour is learn, but if Sars can settle and score it will benefit West Indies. Wish them well!

Posted by gottalovetheraindance on (January 17, 2013, 15:35 GMT)

@ sirviv1973 - chanderpaul is 1 of those special players who has all that it takes 2 succeed in both odi & test cricket even till 2015 world cup. he is tough mentally & physically & very adaptable . why Gibson & co tried to kick him out of west Indies cricket only god knows. luckily after fighting tooth & nail we still have him in the test side. but Imho tiger is better than Charles powell by experience average & strike rate & more essential than many of the so called allrounders in this squad who could not outperform Bangladeshi players. i would have even taken him over sarwan but i guess with samuels injured half a loaf is better than no bread

Posted by Tanos on (January 17, 2013, 12:04 GMT)

Sarwan has been terrible in the Caribbean T20, I think Justin Brathwaite would have probably been a better choice to be honest. The one glaring omission though in my eyes in fast bowler Santokie. That guy is quality and I think they have missed a trick not taking him instead of Russell.

Posted by   on (January 17, 2013, 2:55 GMT)

I did not think I would ever see Sars back in the maroon for the Windies! From all of the comments that were fying back and forth, I assumed that the bridge had been completely destroyed.

Kudos to whoever made this happen. Looks to be both positive for the WICB, and for Sarwan himself to fix these long-held wounds!

Posted by   on (January 17, 2013, 2:27 GMT)

Sarwan is a class player which is good for TEst and ODI not T20....Great to have the classy back.

Posted by aroundthewicket on (January 17, 2013, 2:26 GMT)

Sarawan's pick is a strange one. His form in the ongoing T20 has been poor thus far on the two different pitch types at the QPO and St Lucia. Worse yet, his footwork and technique seems to be worse than ever. He was out the other night off the inside edge cutting an inswinger too close to him, with lead feet - just like 2 years ago. This is typical of the WI setup: discarded for no good reason; re-selected for no good reason.

Posted by Riddymon on (January 17, 2013, 1:30 GMT)

Why do people keep calling for Jerome Taylor? He's DONE!! He doesn't even play cricket for Jamaica's regional team. You will never see him play in Windies colors again so stop asking for him...he hasn't played cricket at the international level in at least 2 or 3 years now anyway.

Posted by Sinhaya on (January 17, 2013, 0:35 GMT)

Well I doubt if Sarwan can match Samuels. Interesting if Windies can match their T20 heroics in ODIs. But they need to focus more on singles cos too much hitting will backfire in ODIs. Windies's flaws against spin was exposed in Bangladesh. I feel likely result will be 3-2 or 4-1 Australia. But I am supporting West Indies and hope they do well. New fielding rules will certainly be helpful for hitters like Powell, Sammy, Pollard and Russell in the slog overs. Aussies have a better bowling attack and that certainly can rip through the inconsistent West Indies batting. Anyway, DARREN SAMMY is my favorite cricketer and good luck West Indies from a Sri Lankan.

Posted by tfjones1978 on (January 16, 2013, 23:46 GMT)

Why is this series occuring? To me it looks pointless having a one day series starting in Feb when no one in Australia cares about cricket anymore. Cricket Australia planners need to start looking at the big picture and this isnt it!

Posted by Chris_P on (January 16, 2013, 22:00 GMT)

At least he bowls with a straight arm.

Posted by Toto64646 on (January 16, 2013, 21:55 GMT)

surely having sarwan back is good but what happen to the wicketKeeper department every god damn tour the switch wicketkeeper. one time it is ramdin then, baugh now thomas, then ramdin it is like a circle for west indies they need to have one fit wicketkeeper for a while.

Posted by Balb on (January 16, 2013, 21:39 GMT)

Sarwan does deserve a second chance like Gayle, and so is Taylor. Hope he make good use of this opportunity. With the scarsity of test cricket Chanderpaul should be in the WICB team for ODI's. Bishoo so far did well in the regional twenty/20 matches. He also had a raw deal and I hope that some day in the near future he will also get a second chance. My deepest sympathy to Samuels. I do hope his eye sight is not damaged. He has become a man to watch and a treat to the other cricketing nation. But most of all your health comes first and he should rest and be absolutely sure he is fully recovered before getting back into the game.

Posted by SirViv1973 on (January 16, 2013, 21:20 GMT)

@Cricketdabator, With Samuels not available I think the selectors wanted to replace him with an experienced middle order batsman. RS had a decent summer last yer with Leic & I think hes worth another go. His record particularly in ODI's is very good & although his form wasn't great last time he was in the side I think he deserves 1 more chance to try & fulfill his potential. At 32 (not 31 as my previous post said) he could still be around for a good few yrs. As for Barath he got an extended run in the test side recently & was very poor. He is clearly talented (his 100 on debut against oz proved that) & I would still hope a future star of WI cricket but for now at least I think he needs to stay fit (injuries have been a problem for him) and score big runs for T&T. Perhaps a short stint with an Eng county team could aid his development.

Posted by Erebus26 on (January 16, 2013, 20:51 GMT)

As a Leicestershire supporter I'm both pleased and disappointed. I'm pleased that playing cricket at Grace Road has helped Ronnie rediscover his form, but I'm disappointed that a successful run in the Windies side could lead to him missing the early part of the domestic season. We haven't that much got money as a county and we're a bit thin on the ground in regards to quality. I can't see us getting a replacement overseas player due to the aforementioned shortage of finances. From a Windies point of view I don't see the reason for picking Sarwan in the limited overs sides as he probably won't be around for the next World Cu,p and I don't think he's a good T20 player either. However, if he was selected in the test squad that would make much more sense.

Posted by   on (January 16, 2013, 20:40 GMT)

Clyde Butts or none of selectors never explains their selections so its hard to gauge the thought process sometimes. But this is pretty much the best squad squad given the unfortunate injury to samuels & rampaul. I'm guessing deonarine & holder are their direct replacements.

Great to see Sarwan back, will give the ODI invaluable experience en route to the 2015 cup. After all only legends viv richards & gordon greenidge average more in odi's for the windies than sars. It also seems that Ramdin is no longer being considered for odi/t20s, since he wasn't in the limited overs squads to bangladesh either. Or maybe it could be the selectors want to test out the back-up keepers in odi's/t20 & let ramdin play tests alone? Again with no explanation its hard to tell.

based on performances in the ongoing ct20 - chadwick walton looks a better batsman & keeper than devon thomas.

Dont like powell in the odi team - should just let him solidify himself as a test opener. Would have dwayne smith

Posted by   on (January 16, 2013, 20:17 GMT)

sarwan and samuels made their debuts in 2000 and i said to myself these two could be mentioned in the same breath with tendulkar and co. but no one told them about their attitude so here they are today... just good players. not great players.

Posted by deshorn on (January 16, 2013, 20:04 GMT)

the west indies selectors gonna overlook delorn johson until the youth give up.he had been knocking very hard on the west indies door and still no answer we need to develope a variety of bowlers.the last lefty west windies give a good run was pedro collins sine then every bowlen in the caribbean born with 2 right hands.

Posted by SirViv1973 on (January 16, 2013, 19:34 GMT)

@Bajah, IMO Chanderpaul should not be selected for ODI's anymore. He will be over 40 by the time the next WC comes along and WI should be trying to build a team who can challenge for that. There are plenty of young batsman in the carribean who are more suited to the shorter formats so not having him in the side shouldn't make a huge difference. By not playing ODI's it may prolong his test Career. WI certainly need him in that format as when he does finally retire it will leave a huge hole in the middle order.

Posted by SirViv1973 on (January 16, 2013, 19:24 GMT)

Good to see Sarwan back in the Int fold. He probably needs to make the most of this opportunity as even at the age of 31 it could be his last. Leicestershire won't be too happy though having just made him skipper for the 2013 County season. If his return to the WI team in Aus is a success they may have to think about appointing someone else with the CT & proposed series with Ind & SRL being played in June & a further series in the WI to follow against Pak.

Posted by cricketdebator on (January 16, 2013, 19:18 GMT)

What is the point in bringing back Sarwan at this stage of his career? A player almost 33 years old and clearly on his way out. Rubbish! Complete nonesense! A much better option would have been to invest in a young and upcoming player like Permaul. It's sad to see the exclusion of this youngsterl, who has been progressing so well. Another option could have been the selection of Barath. He is clearly one of the best young talents in the region, and I hope it won't be long before he is back in West Indies colours. Over-all, the team selected is not too bad, and could do well down under. Success however, will mostly depend on the bowlers' ability to restrict the Australian batting to reasonable scores. Best of luck to the team anyway.

Posted by gudolerhum on (January 16, 2013, 18:15 GMT)

Once the WIPA 'problem' left the scene things could get back to 'normal'. Glad to see Sarwan back, he can contribute to the team. I agree that Pollard lives on the occasional performance. Like Dwayne Smith, he cannot be replied on for consistency.

Posted by Philip_Gnana on (January 16, 2013, 17:45 GMT)

It is more of the healing process that the team and Board required. Time to bury the hatchet and start a new. Cannot find much of a fault with this squad. Has the balance that it requires. The batsmen need to deliver and so should the bowlers. They have a proven captain in Sammy. Well done all. Philip Gnana, Surrey

Posted by   on (January 16, 2013, 17:19 GMT)

Something needs to be done about the selectors dropping Ramdin for no reason. It's not right. Something looks to be going on behind the scenes.

Posted by Gwez on (January 16, 2013, 16:40 GMT)

Looks a good team generally, however, its' justification is in the players focusing on the tasks at hand, meaning working as a unit, believing in themselves and what West Indies cricket means to the region, as well as resisting of field distractions and remain focused and professional embassodors at all times. It's encouraging to have Sars talent and experience back, at possibly the expense of an up and coming yonger talent. This move MUST receive the comensurable commitment and level of performance from Sars in very quick order, otherwise it should but reviewed with dispatch. I wish the boys all the best and hope they continue to make us proud.

Posted by Htc-Android on (January 16, 2013, 16:27 GMT)

Its good atleast WI learnt their lesson after losing the series to Bangladesh. I menttioned this earlier WI solid Batsman like shiv,sarwan to win ODI matches. Not sloggers like pollard and Dwayne simth. pollard should be dropped. he is a hit or miss type. He can only produce one match wonders. I think bravo is a better alrounder than pollard. My team any ODI match 1.Gayle 2.powell/charles 3.samuels(if he is fit) 4.sarwan 5.Darren bravo 6.Dwayne brave 7.Thomas/ramdin 6.sammy 9.roach 10. T.best 11.Narine.

Posted by bajah on (January 16, 2013, 16:04 GMT)

I think Chanderpaul should have been added to that squad for the ODI's

Posted by Kula_Bowls_Inswing on (January 16, 2013, 15:49 GMT)

@AllroundCricketFan Chanderpaul hasn't played an ODI since the world cup.

Posted by Batmanindallas on (January 16, 2013, 15:36 GMT)

Marlon has been the man for WI and without him the team looks lighter

Posted by nafzak on (January 16, 2013, 15:33 GMT)

Kieron Pollard is not a cricketer. He should stick to playing IPL & TnT 20/20. My prediction is that he will fail miserably against Australia. Sarwan and Shiv should not play 20/20. Shiv is getting up there in age and 20/20 makes for enhancing bad habits for batsmen like Sarwan. The temptation will always be there in ODI to score faster as if its 20/20 and Sars ha fallen to those temptations in the past. I agree with leaving our Rampaul. He is prone to injury and in my opinion, its because he is physically unfit. I am also worried that the fire in the belly is gone from one of my favourite player, Chris Gayle. Maybe not playing in current 20/20 for Jamaica, will help him get his mojo back. Sammy should not be in this team. He makes a score of 50 in every 13 match or so and many times he hardly bowls. Just my take. Peace. Breado.

Posted by   on (January 16, 2013, 14:19 GMT)

Congratulations Sarwan....do your best.......hope there is a new coach.

Posted by rienzied on (January 16, 2013, 14:17 GMT)

sadly Sammy really looks like the one player who cannot hold his place...

Posted by aroundthewicket on (January 16, 2013, 13:48 GMT)

Sarawan has looked woefully out of form during the current T20 tournament on the different wickets at the QPO and St. Lucia. Worse than that, after not seeing him for a while, I felt that his footwork and technique seems worse than ever. This is typical of the WI set up. They discarded him for no reason, then selected him for no reason.

Whether or not you like Dinesh Ramdin, he is by far the best wkpr/bat in the region and in form. He should be in for the ODIs. We are going to play to win the series not only to blood new players. Therefore, we should pick the best side.

Posted by   on (January 16, 2013, 12:18 GMT)

Seems a good team in general. Don't follow the Charles and Thomas selections. Thomas especially. If not the young keeper from Barbados then why not Ramdin? Last thing he did in WI colours was contribute to a World Cup winning team. Thomas makes the tail a lot longer and to my eyes the other two are much better keepers.

Posted by matt247md on (January 16, 2013, 11:57 GMT)

Rampaul is currently injured hence his non selection. I think the squad looks good although is lacking a left arm seamer (perhaps Delorn Johnson). The usual domestic cricket scheduling means that the team play an international 50 over tournament whilst the domestic tournament is in play... with players coming off a few T20 knocks as preparation.

Posted by sando31 on (January 16, 2013, 11:28 GMT)

Narine looks a good bowler, hopefully he bowls well and gives our test batsmen playing in odi team a good workout for what will be a challenging tour of india

Posted by AllroundCricketFan on (January 16, 2013, 11:25 GMT)

Where is Shiv Chanderpaul? Has he been dropped? He is the west indians mainstay batsman and has been for more than a decade. Anyone know

Posted by A.Ak on (January 16, 2013, 11:14 GMT)

Sarwan is to their ODI as Shiv to their test matches.

Posted by   on (January 16, 2013, 10:21 GMT)

They win hardly against Bangladesh..lol now touring Australia

Posted by   on (January 16, 2013, 10:15 GMT)

Benny. Just missed out he should have been given a pick based on his form. We see how the series go

Posted by Clan_McLachlan on (January 16, 2013, 10:10 GMT)

Hope Samuels is ok, he was just getting his act together.

Posted by Rally_Windies on (January 16, 2013, 9:42 GMT)

Gayle, Chanders Sarwana ..... Roach, TAYLOR, Tino Best, = WIN tests beat England and South Africa even ...

Gibson is the REASON WI cannot play a team that is capable of being world #1 ..... Gibson needs to be fired ...... and all his supporters need to get out as well ......

now if only Taylor can find his way back into the team,,,,,, Because Best and Roach had better 2012 Stats than Styne ...... they both had sub 60 strike rates and took wickets at 17 and 21 runs apiece .....

Posted by aclarity on (January 16, 2013, 9:42 GMT)

Chanders I feel your pain. WI needed a senior batsman for Samuels absence and the selectors chose Sarwan. Sarwan last 4 innings yielded 18 runs. His last two dismissals running away to leg from a fast bowler and a half hook and half run away - caught at long leg. Walton, we see your improvement both in keeping and batting at the top of the innings but you should wait until you are Sarwan's age. Benn, you could be the best left arm spinner in the WI but Permal, Maturin and Bishoo are the WI boys. Johnson Charles, tell them you were born at the right time and in the right place.

Posted by creekeetman on (January 16, 2013, 9:29 GMT)

one step forward two steps backward..............

Posted by BRUTALANALYST on (January 16, 2013, 9:14 GMT)

RAS I agree that is probably the best 11 its POLLARD'S time to step up and show he is more than a T20 specialist and that amazing 100 v OZ last series was not a 1 off he already has some benefit of playing in the BigBash I really want to see him prosper in this format.

Posted by aclarity on (January 16, 2013, 9:11 GMT)

The WI selectors continue to damage our cricket by choosing squads not based on merit. Charles, Thomas and Sarwan should not be in any WI Squad. Charles cannot play the moving ball and is hopeless against spin. Has he made a total of 25 runs in the current T20? Thomas is a bush league wicket keeper. He failed miserably in Bangladesh and he is retained at the expense of Walton who can open and looks as the most improved player. Sarwan is running away from pace. Bouncy pace will destroy him in Australia. A better team is Walton for Charles and Thomas, Chanderpaul for Sarwan and Benn is in the squad.

Posted by TrueLankan on (January 16, 2013, 8:45 GMT)

After a massive series loss against the Mighty Lankans, the Australians will be emotionally damaged leaving room for a West Indian series win.

Posted by Shaggy076 on (January 16, 2013, 8:29 GMT)

It's funny how times have changed, West Indian fans having issue with picking 6 right arm fast bowlers and leaving out a leftie. I'm sure they didnt complain when those 6 bowlers consisted of Walsh, Marshall, Holding, Croft, Roberts, Patterson, Benjamin, Ambrose and many more.

Posted by everfaithful77 on (January 16, 2013, 7:59 GMT)

The West Indies SELECTORS continue to confound fans with some of their selections. As if the Windies ODI performance in Bangladesh where they were beaten by a team ranked lower have already been forgotten. Otherwise how do you explain the inclusion of 6 all- rounders in a squad of 15 whilst there's no room for a second genuine spinner like Odean Brown, Benn or Badre who bowled beautifully in the T20 WC final and has continued his good form in the Caribbean T20. The selection of Devon THOMAS instead of RAMDIN is also very puzzling after Thomas's recent batting and keeping failures in Bangladesh. In contrast Ramdin is in really good form. NOT ALL BAD NEWS however with the inclusion of HOLDER and SARWAN who performed well in England recently in both ODI and conty matches. JOHNSON CHARLES gets another chance to prove he can be an effective opening batsman in both T20 & ODI's. Finally leaving out Chanderpaul who's currently the BEST BATSMAN in the WORLD is a BIG MISTAKE. Selectors WAKE UP.

Posted by Nightwing32 on (January 16, 2013, 7:55 GMT)

Poor Marlon. Anyway pretty decent squad for the ODIs except I have no idea who Jason Holder is. They can beat Australia but I hope not.

Posted by Dav1daKing on (January 16, 2013, 7:24 GMT)

Best XI for ODI's from this squad is: 1.Gayle, 2.Powell, 3.D.M. Bravo, 4.Sarwan, 5.D.J. Bravo, 6.Pollard, 7.Sammy, 8.Thomas(Wktpr), 9.Narine, 10.Best, 11.Roach

T20's: 1.Gayle, 2.Charles, 3.D.M. Bravo, 4.D.J. Bravo, 5.Pollard, 6.Russell, 7.Sammy, 8.Thomas(Wktpr), 9.Narine, 10.Best, 11.Roach

Posted by BRUTALANALYST on (January 16, 2013, 7:08 GMT)

Batting is weak up top without SMITH , SAMUELS and CAHNDERPAUL I expect OZ to win every game, I bet Sarwan will look out of place not playing International cricket for so long not going to be easy coming back v OZ

Posted by BRUTALANALYST on (January 16, 2013, 7:05 GMT)

SAMUELS is a huge loss can't believe he is missing the series he was one of the best batsman of last yr formany nation, I'd rather see Shiv in side than Sarwan but it's good he's back Shiv should be in the squad though I'm not confident with this batting line up especially missing Samuels, Dev Thomas is useless and so is Johnson Charles why isn't Dwayne Smith in the team wtf ? he was 1 of the best batsman v Aus in the last odi series W.I tied without Gayle and co . . . Also BEST n ROACH are v similar bowlers as are Russell and Sammy left arm Delorn Johnson would of added much needed variety but they didn't giv him a shot in Bangladesh so they were not going to here also going to be tuff debut for Holder in Aus but he should enjoy the bounce of the tracks if selected

Posted by vrn59 on (January 16, 2013, 6:45 GMT)

My ideal WI Test XI: Chris Gayle, Kieron Powell, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Darren Bravo, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Marlon Samuels, Denesh Ramdin (wk), Darren Sammy (C), Kemar Roach, Sunil Narine, Tino Best. 12th man: Ravi Rampaul.

Posted by kanhairuns on (January 16, 2013, 6:30 GMT)

Good to Sarwan back in the WI setup, his return has been long over due. Finally, it seems that the WICB is getting its act together and ending all the silly feuds with the senior players!! However, cannot understand why Ramdin is not on this team. He has proven time and again he is a better keeper than Thomas and will perform better with the bat in Australian conditions where the extra bounce will give Thomas loads of trouble. I like the inclusion of Holder, this young man has the potential to be very effective on fast tracks where his height will allow him to get that extra bounce which should trouble the batsmen, he is also very handy with the bat. The team could have been better balanced with the inclusion of another spinner at the expense of an all-rounder. Obviously, Sammy, Dwayne Bravo, Russell, Pollard and Holder bring similar skill sets to the table. WI cannot play all 5 at the same time and would have been better off with the extra spinner......

Posted by Beertjie on (January 16, 2013, 6:09 GMT)

@Meety on (January 16 2013, 04:23 AM GMT) "Pity Sarwan AND Samuels weren't in the same side." At least those little pals of mine, Gayle and Sarwan are to be reunited!

Posted by mcsdl on (January 16, 2013, 6:01 GMT)

Malinga took the revenge from Samuels with a nastly leathal bouncer right up his mouth..!

Posted by rydberg on (January 16, 2013, 5:48 GMT)

still no sign of suleima benn

Posted by simonviller on (January 16, 2013, 5:44 GMT)

I wish Charles well ,but I think that Dwayne Smith would have been a more suitable choice . The Australians would be happy for that one ,but let's wait and see .

Posted by ravroyal on (January 16, 2013, 5:36 GMT)

Not a bad selection. I believe that Samuels and Rampaul will be missed. My one question in the team is how can Ramdin be left out? Thomas had a horrid time in Bangladesh and he is now going up against the likes of Starc, Beer, Johnson, etc. Puzzling but that is WI cricket for you!

Posted by heathrf1974 on (January 16, 2013, 5:26 GMT)

Sarwan is still only 32 years old. It's great for WI cricket to get back a good batsman.

Posted by fail on (January 16, 2013, 5:23 GMT)

where's my favourite wicketkeeper Ramdin?

Posted by Ozcricketwriter on (January 16, 2013, 5:21 GMT)

Not sure who Jason Holder is. Where is Shivnarine Chanderpaul? Seems preposterous to me to leave him out. Otherwise seems a good side.

Posted by here2rock on (January 16, 2013, 5:04 GMT)

Backward step. Why recall an ageing player after 18 months? WICB is basically saying we do not have anyone to replace him with.

Posted by Meety on (January 16, 2013, 4:23 GMT)

Pity Sarwan AND Samuels weren't in the same side.

Posted by sanjay182 on (January 16, 2013, 3:57 GMT)

@oz_uk_2011 Rampaul is currently injured. That's why is not playing in the Caribbean T20 tournament. Barath has lost a lot of form also. I would still prefer Dwayne Smith to Johnson Charles.

Posted by   on (January 16, 2013, 3:57 GMT)

oz_uk_2011, for your information, Barath has dramatically lost form, and may not even make the T&T side right now. As for Rampaul, he is injured. Neither has appeared in the domestic competition currently in progress.

Posted by bleedingice on (January 16, 2013, 3:51 GMT)

hallelujah, im so happy for sarwan, now u got someone apart from chanderpaul and samuels to hold the inings together. this is what the west indies needed. this is my XI gayle, powell, bravo, sarwan, bravo, pollard,devon, russel/deonarinel, narian, roach,holder

Posted by shahzadparacha on (January 16, 2013, 3:36 GMT)

Looking forward to this series. Sarwan will be a plus point for West Indies although we will miss Marlon Samuels. Overall I believe Australia will win this series.

Daniel BrettigClose
Daniel Brettig Assistant editor Daniel Brettig had been a journalist for eight years when he joined ESPNcricinfo, but his fascination with cricket dates back to the early 1990s, when his dad helped him sneak into the family lounge room to watch the end of day-night World Series matches well past bedtime. Unapologetically passionate about indie music and the South Australian Redbacks, Daniel's chief cricketing achievement was to dismiss Wisden Almanack editor Lawrence Booth in the 2010 Ashes press match in Perth - a rare Australian victory that summer.
Tour Results
Australia v West Indies at Brisbane - Feb 13, 2013
West Indies won by 27 runs
Australia v West Indies at Melbourne - Feb 10, 2013
Australia won by 17 runs
Australia v West Indies at Sydney - Feb 8, 2013
Australia won by 5 wickets (with 31 balls remaining)
Australia v West Indies at Canberra - Feb 6, 2013