Australian news June 18, 2010

Players will have a say on split innings

Cricinfo staff

Australia's international and domestic players will be consulted as Cricket Australia prepares to determine the exact format for split-innings one-day matches. The board last week approved the new format for the FR Cup domestic competition, which will occur in the second half of the tournament in 2010-11, but has not finalised the specific alterations.

James Sutherland, Cricket Australia's chief executive, said the players would review the customer research on the issue and provide practical feedback on competing over split innings. "Cricket lovers say that ODI cricket captures the broadest interest of the three formats, and it is supported with strong passion," Sutherland said. "But it is a game that needs better positioning and a format review if it is to remain popular in the long-term."

The switch in thinking is being monitored by the ICC while former one-day experts such as Dean Jones and Simon O'Donnell have welcomed the move. Cricket Australia and the Australian Cricketers' Association will speak to players over the next fortnight and their thoughts will be combined with those of broadcast and commercial partners before the new look is finalised.

"The idea of split innings was popular with fans and we are keen at this stage to look at a 10-wicket-a-side, split-innings concept," Sutherland said. "We accept that we need to listen to what the public wants but we also need to be sure that ideas are practical, and most important, are acceptable to world cricket and capable in the long-term of being considered for international cricket."

Comments