Australia v England 2010-11 January 12, 2011

Teams get behind flood-relief effort

The limited-overs series between Australia and England will turn into one continuous flood-relief effort, as the situation worsens in parts of south-east Queensland. Twelve people have died in the floods but that number is likely to rise, and up to 20,000 homes are expected to be inundated in the state capital, Brisbane.

The Australia and England teams will be collecting donations in the crowd at the Adelaide Twenty20 international and it will be the first of many fundraising drives during the series. England's players will donate part of their match fees for the first Twenty20 to the flood relief appeal, as will their Australian counterparts, while Kevin Pietersen is keen to auction a shirt and bat he used during the Ashes to assist the flood victims, and Cricket Australia has donated $100,000 to flood relief.

Shane Warne and Darren Gough are also becoming involved, tweeting their interest in setting up a "legends" Twenty20 match to help raise funds. Cricket New South Wales will donate all gate receipts from their Big Bash match against Queensland on January 29, the day before the Brisbane ODI, which Queensland Cricket remains hopeful will go ahead.

"It's been really heartening to see how many people are so willing to stop and do something to help," Cricket Australia's spokesman Peter Young said. "Everyone is feeling the pain. It's really heartening to get calls from clubs in the community who are having sausage sizzles, and they're saying 'where do we send the money?' We have a program called Cricket Cares. What's been demonstrated today is that cricket does care.

"We decided a week or so ago that we, Commonwealth Bank and Channel Nine would run a fundraiser during the Brisbane ODI, on January 30. Given the deteriorating situation with the floods, we've decided to broaden that, so we're starting the fundraising tonight at the international T20 in Adelaide and we'll run fundraising through the matches culminating in the match at Brisbane."

The offices of Queensland Cricket in Brisbane have been sandbagged and the state's staff were working from home on Wednesday, as the city was in the grip of a major natural disaster. The Brisbane River was expected to peak at 5.5 metres on Thursday, which would be the worst flooding in the city in more than a century.

Donations to the Queensland flood relief appeal can be made here

Brydon Coverdale is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo

• on January 14, 2011, 0:12 GMT

Something_Witty i think it has affected everyone, my house was ok but my office was totally submerged, i cant work, my staff cant work and will take a while to get back on track. Its just so nice to see so many people coming together and supporting each other, no matter where they come from. I have never been so proud of so many people and so proud to be an aussie.

• RohanMarkJay on January 13, 2011, 21:16 GMT

Also our thoughts should be with people in Brazil who also are suffering a floods disaster like Australia. Two southern hemisphere nations, that need all our support right now. Our prayers are with both nations.

• on January 13, 2011, 5:48 GMT

As a proud Qlder and Aussie fan, this summer has been very painful on the cricket pitch. My office was flooded in ipswich and wont be able to work for sometime, my staff wont be able to work for sometime, it makes me proud to be an aussie when so many come together and support, Thank you England, english fans and all who have helped and donated, its nice to see the players from both sides going through the crowd collecting. I love graeme swann and his funn bubbly attitude, reminds me of an aussie. Thanks KP who i have always thought was a tool until now, really appreciated mate. Would be great to see a legends 20/20 game. I mean guys who played in the 80's who didnt get the chance to play 20/20, please ring and invite Sir Viv Richards and Curtly Ambrose and maybe even ajuna. In times like these you realise that cricket is just a game, a game that entertains but there are more important things in life. Thank You Australia and England.

• Fireballz on January 13, 2011, 3:05 GMT

Big thanks to the English cricket team as well who have apparently all donated part of their match fees to the cause. It's a terrible event happening over in QLD but if all Australians can do their bit then I'm sure we can help ease the pain.

• filizant on January 13, 2011, 1:31 GMT

Whilst as an aussie I'm not happy with the result of the match, I am touched by the efforts of both teams in recognising the tragedy and disaster in QLD. Also, whilst most cricket supporters delight in the aussie cricket demise, it's heartening to know that there are SOME cricket fans around the who acknowledge what is going on in QLD and the hardships currently faced. The whole of AUS is feeling this tragedy, not just QLD. Hopefully the ICC will follow Cricket Australia's suit and donate some of it's wealth to the cause.

• Aaaaaron on January 13, 2011, 0:44 GMT

Good to see cricketers coming into the crowd for Donations, it wont happen in our country

• on January 12, 2011, 15:22 GMT

i used to be more of a soccer fan ,although ive liked cricket from a early age,but cricket now gets my interest everytime.it gives me far more pride to see the england cricket team do well than their big headed overpaid footballing counterparts.my point is admidst these awful events in brisbane, the cricketing world unites and shows togetherness,to contribute to this extremely worthy cause.now imagine asking premier league football players to contribute in these difficult times for the people of queensland.more than likely the footballers response would be"whats in it for me".

• Marcio on January 12, 2011, 13:10 GMT

Good on the players on both sides. And good to see KP using his Twitter account for something sensible for a change!

• Daleo73 on January 12, 2011, 12:14 GMT

Any sport at anytime will always contribute to a relief effort by raising money, whether it be an Australian team or an international touring team. It's not expected, but certainly appreciated, because like anyone, you never know when it will happen to you directly. Having watched this closely from the Sunshine Coast and returning to Brisbane today, to say the Government doesn't care Boris72, is complete b-s. It's a natural disaster that people in in all parts of the world are sometimes subjected to. All you can ask for is the support of your fellow QLDer's, which we are always there to assist. Don't bag people that can't directly control circumstances. The cricket will get you through, and not regaining the Ashes will be a distant memory. It's times like these we should remember that the great game of cricket is just a sport, and there are more meaningful events that affect our lives. Some of our national cricketing heroes and their families will be affected by the QLD floods.

• on January 12, 2011, 9:50 GMT

I accept and support BORIS72 view on cricket & humanity.

• on January 14, 2011, 0:12 GMT

• RohanMarkJay on January 13, 2011, 21:16 GMT

• on January 13, 2011, 5:48 GMT

• Fireballz on January 13, 2011, 3:05 GMT

• filizant on January 13, 2011, 1:31 GMT

• Aaaaaron on January 13, 2011, 0:44 GMT

• on January 12, 2011, 15:22 GMT

• Marcio on January 12, 2011, 13:10 GMT

• Daleo73 on January 12, 2011, 12:14 GMT

• on January 12, 2011, 9:50 GMT

I accept and support BORIS72 view on cricket & humanity.

• on January 12, 2011, 9:14 GMT

Great news. Now Channel nine please broadcast this match live, I can't take anymore of the rolling flood coverage.

• alexczarn on January 12, 2011, 9:05 GMT

Great to hear! Thank you very much!

• Boris72 on January 12, 2011, 8:17 GMT

For any players and officials who happen to read this article I say thank you. Cricket is the most generous sport in the world and the players aren't doing this simply because it's good for public relations but because they truly do feel that way. Also there have been a number of cricketers who have been effected so I hope they get on. I'm in the middle of all this flood disaster and this is the first time I've had internet for a while, so it's heartening to come back to the world of cricinfo and see this happening. Please organise that 'Legends' charity game, every cent will help (since the government isn't) plus I would love to see it. Thanks again.

• anver777 on January 12, 2011, 7:54 GMT

Its really good to see all past & present cricketers involve in this fund raising campaign. Well done all !!!!!!!!!

• Something_Witty on January 12, 2011, 7:50 GMT

Great to hear. From someone who lives in Queensland, I can say that it has not been fun, but I was one of the lucky ones.

• No featured comments at the moment.

• Something_Witty on January 12, 2011, 7:50 GMT

• anver777 on January 12, 2011, 7:54 GMT

• Boris72 on January 12, 2011, 8:17 GMT

• alexczarn on January 12, 2011, 9:05 GMT

Great to hear! Thank you very much!

• on January 12, 2011, 9:14 GMT

• on January 12, 2011, 9:50 GMT

I accept and support BORIS72 view on cricket & humanity.

• Daleo73 on January 12, 2011, 12:14 GMT