Australia news

Clarke played part in ending my Test career - Katich

Daniel Brettig

October 28, 2011

Simon Katich addresses the media after losing out on a central contract, Sydney, June 10, 2011
Simon Katich's says he will not play for Australia while Michael Clarke is captain © Getty Images

Simon Katich has suggested he will never be chosen for Australia so long as the team is led by Michael Clarke.

Katich has admitted that Clarke did indeed play a role in his removal from the list of Cricket Australia contracts, having previously denied the pair's colourful history had anything to do with the decision.

Following Australia's ODI series win in South Africa, Clarke responded by saying he was not a selector when the call was made, but felt Katich's comments were hurtful to the morale of the team.

On the day CA unveiled John Inverarity as its new full-time national selector, replacing the former chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch, Katich made a century for New South Wales in a drawn Sheffield Shield match and said he took little joy in the appointment because Clarke would not countenance his recall to the team.

Katich's relationship with Clarke deteriorated after a dressing room stoush at the end of the 2009 SCG Test between Australia and South Africa, in which Katich grabbed the then vice-captain by the throat after an argument had developed over when the team song would be sung.

Though he previously denied any link between the incident and the end of his international career, Katich now revealed it had played a significant part.

"It's pleasing to hear but I think you don't have to be Einstein to figure out that it's not just the selectors that had a part in sending me on my way," Katich said. "I mean to be brutally honest obviously what happened in the dressing room here a few years ago didn't help my cause. And obviously the captain and coach are selectors.

"Just because he [Inverarity] is going to be chairman of selectors or whatever role it is I wouldn't have thought that'd make too much difference."

Asked whether or not he could ever expect to play for Australia while Clarke was captain, Katich replied: "I wouldn't have thought so. That's probably why I'm in this position in the first place."

Katich also had further harsh words for CA, saying he had still not even received a phone call from the governing body's Melbourne headquarters to discuss his removal or commiserate.

"No one from Cricket Australia has been in contact with me since," Katicih said. "I just think that no-one's been in touch since that happened, it's pretty disrespectful I think from my personal point of view. Given I've been contracted for 11 years, to not have any contact whatsoever that's pretty disappointing.

"As Chris Rogers said that's blatantly rude to be honest. It's just common courtesy to give someone a call back.

"I enjoy playing my cricket here, so that's why I'm still playing. A big part of that was I had a lot of support at the time when the axing happened so to have that support has spurred me on to keep playing.

"Hopefully some good will come out of my situation. I wasn't the only one to go through it, plenty of players have felt the same frustration."

Following his removal from the contracts list, Katich had delivered a considered but unbridled attack on the national selectors and CA, foreshadowing much of the changes that were imparted by the Argus review, including the appointment of Inverarity.

However at the time he denied his confrontation with Clarke had any bearing on the decision.

"I don't think that was an issue," Katich said at the time. "We had a professional relationship."

Clarke had similarly denied any involvement in the decision to remove Katich.

"To say that I have anything to do with it is plain wrong," Clarke said in June. "And to bring up what happened - what was it, two years ago between Simon and I - is just as wrong.

"We sorted things out there and then and I have enjoyed playing my cricket with him in the time since and I am looking forward to playing more cricket with him in the future. There is no ongoing issue between us and there wasn't one from the moment we sorted things out that day."

Daniel Brettig is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: Daniel Brettig

Posted by   on (October 31, 2011, 13:02 GMT)

Of course there was something other than performance. Since we all know Simon's performance around that time. It just feel (can't give proper reasoning though) there is something in between CA and Michael Clarke.

Posted by Meety on (October 29, 2011, 21:29 GMT)

@RandyOZ - sorry totally disagree with you. In ODIs - Pup has been right behind M Hussey as our best batsmen, & was very good in SL. The test for him is that 6 of the next 8 tests are against teams "ranked" higher than us. I will making my decisions on his worth after that. So far, I think his capatincy has been brilliant, & tend to think that it was Teflon Tim's influence on the side that held us back!

Posted by stFleming on (October 29, 2011, 6:57 GMT)

Its really disappointing to see Katich axed from the side without any reason..Katich was in his form of his life...He was playing exceptionally well and i think he was the leading run scorer for the past couple of years...He shouldn't hv been dropped...Michael Clarke might have played part in his axing..

Posted by RandyOZ on (October 29, 2011, 5:50 GMT)

As you all know I have long been a Clarke sceptic, and since his captaincy, as in the ashes, has made little to no impact with the bat, but in this case Katich is wrong. He got dropped because CA wanted more youth so one of Huss, Punter and Kat had to go. I am a Ponting fan and as one of the greatest batsmen of all time deserved another chance. What is a better question Kat is how Haddin and Clarke are still justifying a spot in the side? Like or hate Punter the captain - he deserved a place in the side with his consistent batting performances. Clarke, in my mind, would not be in the team if he wasn't captain. He hasn't got near the ipact of Punter.

Posted by smudgeon on (October 28, 2011, 22:44 GMT)

@Ray365 - Given their respectively "crabby" techniques, I'm sure Chanders & Katto were separated at birth!

Posted by Swampy5 on (October 28, 2011, 21:55 GMT)

Katich got dropped because of his age and the selector's desire to get new top-order batsman in the team. It was a tough call but Katich should be grown up enough to realise he's not the first person in the world to get dropped harshly.He's ruined whatever slim chance he had of returning by childishly blasting everyone involved in cricket in Australia to the media. The fact that he is now contradicting what he said about Clarke in his original press conference a few months ago raises some questions about his integrity. As for no-one from CA ringing him - yes he probably deserved an explanation initially, but after he slagged them all off since is it any surprise they now want nothing to do with him?

Posted by KingOwl on (October 28, 2011, 21:37 GMT)

Good to see the Aussie in fighting, for a change! Sounds more like Pakistan!!

Posted by KarachiKid on (October 28, 2011, 21:33 GMT)

I dont understand CA. They have been grooming Clarke for captaining Aussy side since last many years, regardless of the fact there were at least 6 or 7 players who always performed better than him. On the other hand, same CA has been brutally unfair with likes of Brad Hodge, Stuart Clarke, Mich Katich, Andrew Symonds and Nathan Braken. Very very strange. Anyway, good for other teams that somehow CA is not selecting the best available players in the name of "building a team for the future". Remember your current perfomance should also matter and the performance of the current Australian side is quite pathetic. They have already taken a couple of years to build for future with no results yet.

Posted by purplesneakers on (October 28, 2011, 21:27 GMT)

I have a lot of time for Katich but his comments are disappointing. For one thing, I'm skeptical that Clarke had much say in the awarding of central contracts this year, or that on becoming captain his immediate concern was getting revenge for some personal grievances. Surely it's not hard to believe the selectors can mess these things up by themselves?

I think a lot of people are ready to believe these comments because of their personal feelings about Clarke, and I have never been a massive fan. But as captain he's done pretty well so far, and deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Posted by ARIALROOT on (October 28, 2011, 18:36 GMT)

SIMON KATICH one of my fav. if australian board is listening please take him back.if u think bradly , australia has a bulk of awesome players sitting on bench waiting a call to play for their national side. katich is aging now,when clarke quit captaincy ,it,s too late for katich

Posted by sachbak on (October 28, 2011, 18:12 GMT)

katich deservedly got dropped then, cant promote that kind of behaviour, he always seemed like a cheeky on the field

Posted by   on (October 28, 2011, 14:53 GMT)

Watching Ponting and Clarke play nowadays is painful and torcherous. Give me a break, pleasssse.

Posted by vaidyar on (October 28, 2011, 14:51 GMT)

For a moment I thought they had been fighting over one of them singing it off-key :) Clarke does come across as someone slightly insecure. I have no clue why they chose him as captain, but over a period of the last 5 years he seemed to have been earmarked for it, no matter how badly he did. Weird how it works in Australia.

Posted by Meety on (October 28, 2011, 14:42 GMT)

@Smudgeon - 100% agree, Symonds geting sacked was about 4yrs in the making, (good years), but always going to happen. Pup showed leadership during that "gone fishing" incident - & I was/is a Symonds fan!

Posted by Lloydy13 on (October 28, 2011, 14:39 GMT)

Katich was perhaps the best test batsman for Australia over the last 3 years. It is amazing he got dropped, and the manner in which it was done was nothing but disrespectful and shameful. Clarke should also be ashamed with his behaviour, it is obvious that Clarke is a protected species with the Australian team. I am behind Katich all the way, and it is just dissapointing for Australia's sake, they lost such great cricketer and a true gentleman.

Posted by unregisteredalien on (October 28, 2011, 14:32 GMT)

Apologies if someone's already said this, but: oh Kato, Kato! There is no way you can be selected now after this public declaration against Clarke and CA. I understand your frustration and I certainly believe you never should have been dropped, but no amount of public pressure or weight of runs will overcome a public spat with the powers that be. Maybe it was hopeless anyway but bad politics means your international career is prematurely over. I only pray the same doesn't happen to Bolly. Still a fan nevertheless... keep kickin' it Shield style and you may yet become a Bevan-style legend.

Posted by   on (October 28, 2011, 14:25 GMT)

Ponting getting on to his form during his twilight there is no questioning him he will do wonders to the team this seris against south africa but Katich is already in form and shouldnt have been axed which is a ridiculous decision by cricket australia .And I just have one question can Katich return to the national colors ?does anyone have an ans to this?

Posted by   on (October 28, 2011, 14:19 GMT)

Simon Katich is one of a number of Australian cricketer who have been very harshly dealt with over the years. One of a number who had they represented any other team would have likely played 100+ tests. Brad Hodge is another that springs to mind here. If I could put together a team of all the players who have been dealt with atrociously by CA and their selectors you would have a great side.

Posted by Ray365 on (October 28, 2011, 14:13 GMT)

I say let Katich and his family move to any island in the West Indies and give him citizenship and he can play for us lol lol... This guy is an excellent, experienced player and we need all the help we can get.. just saying Mr. Katich :-))))

Posted by Rosey86 on (October 28, 2011, 14:03 GMT)

i happen to think that had Simon not suffered from the achillies tendon injury, in which i have had in both feet, and know the pain the inflammation can cause, he would still be in the test team. Phil Hughes selection, whether warranted or not at the time (you could make the case of a few batsmen around the country, Rogers etc) was seen as a move to the future, or the imagined future. Should Simon have mentioned the issues with Clarke in open air? Probably not. He has done himself no favors in doing so, even though i applaud him for speaking up about a broken system (And the thoughts of Chris Rogers yesterday were also important).

Clarke was well known to be rather annoying, and the aussie team split in a few directions at the time of the chocking incident. I'll be interested to read some of the dirty laundry aired once some of the senior guys retire. All Katich can do is score runs, prove points and play with dignity. One of my absolute favourite players. Great 100 today mate!

Posted by bharath74 on (October 28, 2011, 14:00 GMT)

Aus losing gr8 players like symonds, katich... due to team politics,i think captain should never be given the power to select the team.

Posted by MAW71 on (October 28, 2011, 13:59 GMT)

I can see some nice comments from angry Aussies criticising Katich for making adverse public statements about CA and Clerk. Truth hurts doesn't it. We are talking about a career, a livelihood of a professional cricketer. So he has every right to complain about the shabby treatment he was given.

Posted by CaughtAndBowled on (October 28, 2011, 13:39 GMT)

What I do not understand is how come Katich is still playing cricket when he physically attacked fellow player?? Why he did not get any punishment? I would blame CA for letting players get away with this and it is finally reflects on their on field behaviour. Shame on Katich and CA.

Posted by   on (October 28, 2011, 13:28 GMT)

My favorite comment on this article ".. not only he looks like Dubya, but he started acting like now"... Sagir, I think only ppl who used to read TOI would get that reference..but it is hilarious!!

Posted by   on (October 28, 2011, 13:24 GMT)

Thats too pity of Katich , by making such statements he will lost all his respect gained all over the years . Rather than speaking in media , he must perform at demostic level and should make a strong comeback in national team .

Posted by Mary_786 on (October 28, 2011, 13:14 GMT)

Well done to Katich for coming forward. Clarke shouldn't be captain, he also moved Katich because he wanted his good mate Hughes to be opening, which is wrong. Hughes is not a better opener then Katich, nor did he earn that spot.

Posted by scoopster35 on (October 28, 2011, 13:02 GMT)

Yep - Katich has no room to complain here. It's not as though he was world-beatingly magnificent either, well not from an Englishman's viewpoint. We axed equally good players, like Robin Smith, Graham Thorpe, Mark Butcher when they could have carried on in some other teams. Sometimes, your time just comes, but if he dislikes the captain, the captain won't pick him. Wish Ponting would show some dignity and go though

Posted by PYC1959 on (October 28, 2011, 12:54 GMT)

Those of you putting Katich down should refer back to the incident, from memory Clarke wanted to go home to Lara Bingle early, and the team song had not been sung so he tried to get it done so he could leave the TEAM early. The rest of the team wanted to celebrate but not Clarke he had other plans (!).

Posted by flightedchinaman on (October 28, 2011, 12:52 GMT)

You're whinging Simon, I understand the harshness of your lay-off considering the fact you are a really good batsman. But when you complain about not receiving a phone call, yeah thats not nice but you're focusing on the small things. You're clearly agitated and angry but my advice for being a true sportsman is to not complain. Don't chirp about your axing at every media conference, but to bat like you did this Sheffield Shield match and humbly keep going, keep batting well and put it in their faces, but don't continually ponder and drag on this issue, bite your lip mate and keep batting.

Posted by trumpoz on (October 28, 2011, 12:39 GMT)

If Katich wants to make a point he should just go out and make a mountian of runs in the Sheffield Shield. To speculate (although the media have drummed this one up) on those who may or may not have had a hand in his sacking is stupid and smells of being a bitter child - he should be better than that..... but obviously not. Congratulations Mr Katich you have just turned one strong supporter away from you.

Posted by   on (October 28, 2011, 12:33 GMT)

Anyone who knows anything about the team song according to tradition will know that it is an important part of the team victory celebrations. Australia had just pipped South Africa on the last day in Sydney after losing the first two Tests. It was an importnat team moment. But vice-captain Clarke was keen to get the song over with so he could get out to dinner with his then girlfriend, model Lara Bingle. Katich's throat-grabbing action was maybe over-the-top, but the hard-fought win and team spirit was more important surely, than Clarke's date. There has always been tom-foolery in the dressing rooms, and Clarke not taking the win that seriously showed disrepect to his team-mates. Also, can someone please tell me why Clarke was even vice-captain at the time? Katich had been Clarke's captain for NSW! Succession strategies in Australian cricket baffle me. If what Katich says is true, then Clarke still holds a grudge over the incident and this further reduces his status as a leader.

Posted by LesGrossman on (October 28, 2011, 12:27 GMT)

those that have played the game (hardened quality grade cricket and up) would understand that after a win you stay in the changerooms drinking beers with your mates until the song is sung. you do not leave because u have dinner reservations with your girlfriend or complain that the song should be sung earlier to fit in with you. katich had every right to make an "attitude adjustment" to Michael Clarke. Katich is simply stirring the pot so somebody from CA might ring him and give him the real reasons why he was dropped and he can get some closure. think of it this way... if you were in a sales team of 6 and you made the most sales/money over the previous three years and then you got sacked. how would you feel? Oh and you couldn't get a straight answer from your employer? Bitter? Confused? Lashing out at anybody whom might be involved? I doubt Clarke had anything to do his with sacking (G Chappell's finger prints are all over it), but if he did, he ain't a leader of men

Posted by Dr.Vindaloo on (October 28, 2011, 12:06 GMT)

The issue over the team song just happened to be the straw that broke the camel's back. It brought to a head all Katich's resentment about Clarke's priorities and values. I would much rather be bowling to Phil Hughes or Shane Watson than to Katich, who always sells his wicket very dearly and is passionate for the cause - maybe sometimes too passionate.

Posted by   on (October 28, 2011, 11:57 GMT)

In a meritocracy, given his abysmal form Clarke should have been dropped and Katich, with his incredible record and experience, made captain.

Posted by manlid on (October 28, 2011, 11:52 GMT)

CONTROVERSY, CONTROVERSY, CONTROVERSY, FROM GAYLE, TO AFFRIDI, NOW TO KATICH, ALL OVER D WORLD WORLD CRICKET IS BEING ROB OF D BEST CRICKETERS, ALL BCUZ OF CONTROVERSY.

Posted by chad_reid on (October 28, 2011, 11:45 GMT)

Why would you grab the VC by the throat over a team song that is just pure stupidity Mr Katich.

Posted by   on (October 28, 2011, 11:45 GMT)

Bring Simon Katich back. Katich for Ponting. Or Hughes.

Posted by azzaman333 on (October 28, 2011, 11:43 GMT)

Old news. I'm much more interested in why Brad Hodge was consistently excluded from the test team despite being way more deserving of a spot than Marcus "only makes runs when he's about to be dropped" North.

Posted by SagirParkar on (October 28, 2011, 11:38 GMT)

well, not many of us will know the true facts and intentions behind Katich's omission but it will hurt Australia.. i have always felt that one big reason Australia lost the recent Ashes was due to its inexplicable selection - esp of players who were woefully out of form, which was very un-Australian like.. and i did believe that Ponting, as skipper, had some part to play in it..Clarke is his padwan in a way and he seems to be following suit.. however, i wish that they can get a stable team going so they can once again get to the top of the cricketing world ! maybe it is time for Ponting to step aside from the ODI side now and also from the tests very soon if he doesnt start producing the goods consistently.. not only does he look like Dubya, but he has also started acting like him now !

Posted by kensohatter on (October 28, 2011, 11:35 GMT)

Mark Waugh, Ian Healy, Jason Gillespie, Michael Slater etc etc all players sacked after years of service to their country, prob all you who had more good performances left in them but none of whom bitched in the media (ok slats a little bit) but for the most part no one complained. Kat has been a great batsman and was in form but lets be honest he got injured at the wrong time during a period where Australia needs to rebuild. Keeping Ponting, Hussey and Kat was not possible and Kat was the the unfortunate one. Dont ruin all the years of hard work by blaming those who had to make the tough decision because the reason you got your shot was precisely cause the selectors made room for you in the first place.

Posted by HumungousFungus on (October 28, 2011, 11:32 GMT)

Looking at this as a neutral (Welsh supporter of England cricket team), I can assure you that when England next play Tests against Australia, they would much rather be bowling at Phil Hughes and Shane Watson than Simon Katich. Hughes has unrepairable technical deficiencies, and Watson remains prone to serous lapses in concentration...

Katich's transformation from a hit or miss middle order bat (ca 2005) into a consistently remorseless opening bat has been one of the success stories of Australian cricket over the last five years, and even in the last Ashes series, when he was basically batting on one leg, his was still one of the wickets that England prized the most.

It is therefore extremely puzzling that he has been summarily discarded by Cricket Australia when less consistent performers (over last 3/4 years - not career) in the same age bracket, such as Ponting and Hussey, have been retained

Australia's loss will be NSW and Randwick-Petersham CC's gain!

Posted by EJ36 on (October 28, 2011, 11:31 GMT)

Seriously, is this guy not the biggest sook in world cricket?

Posted by smudgeon on (October 28, 2011, 11:29 GMT)

...and for those bringing up Symonds: poor form to blame Clarke for that, chaps. Symonds had a lot of (well publicised) personal demons and incidents which lead to his axing. when he did briefly return, it was painful to watch because you knew he just wasn't the same. a real tragedy, as he was a great talent. I'm not saying it was all his fault, but it's a bit poor to say it was all to do with Clarke.

Posted by AnthonyA on (October 28, 2011, 11:17 GMT)

Although it is probably true it is sad that Clarke put personal issues with team issues, not a sign of a good captain

Posted by Guernica on (October 28, 2011, 11:17 GMT)

"in which Katich grabbed the then vice-captain by the throat after an argument had developed over when the team song would be sung." - lol, if that's true it's pretty funny.

Posted by smudgeon on (October 28, 2011, 11:16 GMT)

have to agree with mthw, grabbing anyone by the throat is an ugly ugly thing to do regardless of the reason, but what's his proof that this incident had anything to do with his axing? is he just being fed these things by the media to stir up controversy? he was brutally honest in that press conference afterwards, and denied the throat thing had anything to do with it, so why backtrack now? I'm not trying to run the man down (I quite like Katto, he is proof that there's life and success beyond the textbook), I just wonder whether more is being made out of this than is really necessary. it was harsh what happened to Katich, but dude: make a stack of runs to prove your point. on another note, nice to see him making a stack of runs (and taking wickets!) to prove his point :)

Posted by katwash on (October 28, 2011, 10:59 GMT)

Argument over the team song, is this a joke!! Time to move on Simon, your the only one thats going to suffer from the chip on your shoulder.

Posted by TheLoneStranger on (October 28, 2011, 10:58 GMT)

Katich was far more value to the team than Ponting has been for the last 18 months. He was a consistent opener and a good team man. I've always felt that Clarke was (and is) up himself and it would come as no surprise to me if Simon's suspicions are factual. He should be in the team ahead of Ponting on form AND age, not that age was a factor in his demise; it was politics, and it was to the detriment of the Aussie team. Only the re-instatement of Katich to his rightful place will make this situation right.

Posted by   on (October 28, 2011, 10:56 GMT)

Said it before the Captain being a selector is an obvious conflict of interest. While ive always proposed that Katich was dropped because he is a threat to Clarke's position, i wish he hadn't run his mouth to the press like this

Posted by TheDoctor394 on (October 28, 2011, 10:54 GMT)

I still don't get how any team song could be taken so seriously to have one player grab another by the throat because of it??

Posted by gbt333 on (October 28, 2011, 10:53 GMT)

No sympathy, Simon Katich. You grab the vice captain, soon to be captain, by the throat then you should expect to get what's coming to you. I mean, really, did you not think that might have some impact on your future with the team? No matter how good you may be, team harmony is always paramount. And Clarke was always going to be more important to the team than you. Take it like a man, and retire. Make way for some young talent instead of clogging up the NSW team.

Posted by Dismayed on (October 28, 2011, 10:53 GMT)

Well Done Mr Katich. Well past time Clarke was shown up as the school boy he is. He was putting himself before the team and did not like being put in his place and has form in stabbing people in the back.(Symonds)Ponting and Clarke should have been dropped long before Katich and still should. 1 century between the 2 of them in how many? 30 odd test innings? Not good enough.

Posted by   on (October 28, 2011, 10:49 GMT)

Out of the two players Katich and Clarke - I would pick Katich first and foremost. Clarke plays a good game once every 5 games if we are lucky. Katich scores a fifty or better every 3rd innings.

Posted by   on (October 28, 2011, 10:47 GMT)

at last Cricket Australia started to digg its own grave........

Posted by   on (October 28, 2011, 10:46 GMT)

Kato - you are a top man. I admire your brutal honesty which I fear is rare these days. Steve Waugh thought you should be the Australian skipper and that is good enough for me. Please continue for NSW.

Posted by Dashgar on (October 28, 2011, 10:42 GMT)

Katich is losing the plot. Inverarerity will surely be looking to younger players, not resurrecting 36 year olds' careers. Chris Rogers made a century in this game too, should he be given an Australia call up too? I think the real success stories of this game were Glenn Maxwell and Jayde Herrick, who are both young and potentially have a future playing for Australia. But Katich doesn't seem to have any interest talking up the countries youth. He only wants to talk about himself.

Posted by   on (October 28, 2011, 10:35 GMT)

Some of this is just speculation, as much as I would love to see Katich in the team, one can also think of many reasons not to include him, such as looking to the future, giving youngsters a chance... There have been many great players not picked for Australia, simply because they have such tremendous depth of talent to pick from.

Posted by Calypso57 on (October 28, 2011, 10:29 GMT)

Michael Clarke reminds me a lot of Bobby Clarke, a Canadian ice hockey player who captained the Philadelphia Flyers[known as the Broad Street Bullies] in the NHL in the 1970s. Bobby Clarke infamously broke the ankle of a star Russian hockey player in a 'summit' series between Canada and the USSR, which allowed Canada to narrowly win the series. Google Bobby and you will see what I mean....

Posted by mathewjohn2176 on (October 28, 2011, 10:26 GMT)

He is a talented test cricketer,my One of favorite along with Watson.He don't deserve this treatment by our CA and selectors.Really sad.

Posted by milepost on (October 28, 2011, 10:22 GMT)

I'm Australian. For the first time I fear that there may be a continuation of the 'jobs for the boys' policy that sees a NSW team put forth as an Australian one. Katich should be openeing the batting for Australia, there's no decent argument against that. Players should be selected on form, not potential, not future. Phil Hughes will be a good player but he's no Simon Katich. If Simon is being dumped on his age that is descriminatory. Why are Ponting and Hussey in the side? Becasue they are players of the highest class, both in good form. Lets be realistic - good form does not mean scoring a hundred every time you bat. I feel sorry for Katich and embarassed by Cricket Australia. The captain must never be safe either, they must pull their weight in the team. I wish the team well against SA, whoever they select.

Posted by gogoldengreens on (October 28, 2011, 10:22 GMT)

Simon Katich you are not the first form player to be shunted under Clarkes watch as a captain. Think back to Andrew Symonds gone fishing on a day off when Clarke was fill in captain for the day and called a team meeting at the last minute!!! Symonds was not treated with the respect he deserved either - who will be Clarkes next victim??

Posted by Aussasinator on (October 28, 2011, 10:21 GMT)

Katich has been the best averaging batsman and most consistent for Australia alongwith Hussey when he was axed all of a sudden. On form basis he should have been playing right through because ever since he was dropped, Australia have been going into makeshift combinations for the opener's slot which never worked till now. If age was used as a variable then the worst performer of the 35 plus category, Ricky Ponting should have been the first to go. But that did not happen. So internal politics is the obvious cause, which is sad, because Cricket Australia is supposed to be priding itself on its professionalism, as they always maintain from the rooftops.

Posted by   on (October 28, 2011, 10:20 GMT)

defeats,retirements,admin change,player spat.......if not for the 1-0 victory against SL it would have been utter chaos now especially with the SA tour on.....although i am for Katich in the aus side,just wonder whetehr he announced this now (just before test series against SA) to put pressure on Phil /Marsh(as if tehre isnt enough pressure already)..or is he aiming Punter....

Posted by   on (October 28, 2011, 10:12 GMT)

Geez Simon. Not scared of burning bridges are you? I feel for you, and what you say here is probably all true, but any minsicule chance you had of putting on a baggy green again just went out the window. Captains as selectors makes me nervous, as it will end up being "jobs for the boys". Your friends become untouchable, and your enemies are quickly shown the door. A bigger man than Clarke may be able to handle this responsibility, but it's a ridulcous decision to give any captain this much power.

Posted by Matt. on (October 28, 2011, 10:12 GMT)

I'm a Katich fan and can understand why he's angry, but I don't think there is any point to stirring it up like this. If there was any chance of his recall he has diminished it

Posted by sifter132 on (October 28, 2011, 10:07 GMT)

I wonder if Katich actually KNOWS anything about the decision to get rid of him, or whether he is just assuming. The cynic in me says that Katich is just in denial, happy to suggest Clarke had a greater role in his demise, rather than confront other factors (like his age, and his lesser importance to the squad than other seniors: Ponting and Hussey.

Posted by   on (October 28, 2011, 9:56 GMT)

Some guys are plain silly. Katich's ouster has been Shaun Marsh's gain, but I still think there is a role for Simon Katich in the Aussie team.

Posted by AlanHarrison on (October 28, 2011, 9:53 GMT)

All I can make from this is that it's another example with the characteristics of the sort of incident which until very recently would be associated far more with English than Australian cricket. Dressing-room shenanigans, friction between ego-centric players about trivia (a team song, for goodness sake), selectors failing to show the courtesy of informing players when they've been dropped (reminding us of Angus Fraser, 1994), misinformation, players (especially experienced left-handed batsmen) that could strengthen the team being discarded because of personality issues (reminding us of the treatment of David Gower): all of this is very reminiscent of how England were managed during the 1990s, while the Aussies were being praised for their "ruthless", single-minded "discipline". Katich is clearly no angel: but I think he and others have a point when they suggest Cricket Australia have acted in recent times like amateurs: and not just in the sense of working part-time and unpaid.

Posted by   on (October 28, 2011, 9:51 GMT)

So Katich admits that his axing was for disciplinary reasons and not his age or injury despite being the best test player for Australia in the past 2 years prior to the Ashes. The same fate that Andrew Symonds suffered because he constantly got into trouble. Cricket Australia have the right not to tolerate bad behavior. But take Shane Warne whose private life was always making headlines in the tabloids, that's actually worse than what Symomds and Katich did, but Warne was never axed or disciplined byt heavily defended by CA because he was far too good for Australia to drop. But Australia can do so with dropping batsmen because they have plenty of other batters wanting to take their place whilst they don't have a spinner who is as good as Shane Warne. Those are big shoes to fill.

Posted by maddy20 on (October 28, 2011, 9:50 GMT)

Its a real shame that a cricket board treats its former test players this way. Katich was probably the best player of spin bowling in their side. No board should humiliate a player this way just because he had some spat with the VC.

Posted by othello22 on (October 28, 2011, 9:48 GMT)

Interesting, although it seems a bit ordinary bringing it up on the eve of an important match for Australia against the Saffas. The last thing Australia needs is more rubbish weighing on their minds so one can't help but think Kato is just being nasty and playing mind games here, something which I thought would be above someone like him who I have always thought highly of. I will wait with baited breath to hear what Pup has to say about this.

Posted by MenFromMarts on (October 28, 2011, 9:47 GMT)

Ah Michael - I am not sure you did sort things out on the day. Festering sore that needs to be healed boys. Think of the Australian public (that is who you both play for by the way) they want to see Simon Katich at least available for selection and a harmonious cricket team. First job Mr Inverarity. Pow wow between the Kat and the Pup.

Posted by hyclass on (October 28, 2011, 9:47 GMT)

Ive been in favour of almost everything that Katich has had to say-until now.Virtually everything that he brought into the public arena,echoed my position on Australian cricket since late 2008.In this instance,I doff my hat to his hundred & his effective spin bowling but humbly disagree with his declaration that Clarke was involved in his demotion.At the point of its occurence,the forces that have come from Argus to move Australian cricket back to its true direction,were not yet active.Its possible,even now,to see from recent Sutherland,Hilditch & Jack Clarke articles on this site,that all the power has remained with these men.I see Micheal Clarke as having considerably more character & understanding than he is given credit for.Its common knowledge that he he dated a model & made foolish public mistakes in that regard,which other men were to go on & repeat.This has been used to characterise him.I believe that when all is revealed,sometime next year,a very different picture will emerge.

Posted by beejaytee on (October 28, 2011, 9:46 GMT)

Maybe. Isn't it more likely that in this team which has had such a problem with 'transitioning', it was always going to be 2 but not 3 of the old guard (Huss, Punter & Katich) in the side? Everyone sympathised with Katich at first, but it's way past time for him to button his bottom lip and take the decision like a big boy.

Posted by   on (October 28, 2011, 9:45 GMT)

Katich resloved your isuee with Clarke and CA

Posted by robheinen on (October 28, 2011, 9:41 GMT)

The only wise thing to do now, Michael, is to not react to this. Much as I like Simon Katich as a player, what he's doing now does no good to the building of a new Australian team. He'd do better to bow out with grace.

Posted by satish619chandar on (October 28, 2011, 9:41 GMT)

I think anyone who follows Australian cricket would have easily predicted it.. Clarke does have that ME ego.. Symonds went out because of him and Katich was now pushed out.. I dont think Clarke is potentially bigger than both these.. I would ve easily pushed Clarke out and kept Symo in ODI and Katto in test teams..

Posted by   on (October 28, 2011, 9:37 GMT)

I love how the media has blown everything up! It's unfair really, everyone goes through rough times with a friend once in a while.

Posted by   on (October 28, 2011, 9:34 GMT)

Poor him... The guy deserves a much better treatment!

Posted by mthw on (October 28, 2011, 9:33 GMT)

to be honest Kat, not the best thing to do... Grabbing the future captain by the throat... After hearing that, I would have to say your days are numbered... I probably wouldn't want anyone in a team i captain either that had done that to me, especially when they are a 36 year old in the twilight of their career...

Posted by JimDavis on (October 28, 2011, 9:32 GMT)

Don't worry Kat, by the looks of it neither will anyone from south of the boarder

Daniel BrettigClose
Daniel Brettig Assistant editor Daniel Brettig had been a journalist for eight years when he joined ESPNcricinfo, but his fascination with cricket dates back to the early 1990s, when his dad helped him sneak into the family lounge room to watch the end of day-night World Series matches well past bedtime. Unapologetically passionate about indie music and the South Australian Redbacks, Daniel's chief cricketing achievement was to dismiss Wisden Almanack editor Lawrence Booth in the 2010 Ashes press match in Perth - a rare Australian victory that summer.
Country Fixtures Country Results
3rd Test: Australia v India at Melbourne - Dec 26-30
Australia 530 India 108/1
Heat v Melb Stars at Brisbane
Dec 28, 2014 (18:10 local | 08:10 GMT | 03:10 EST | 02:10 CST | 00:10 PST)
Syd Sixers v Scorchers at Sydney
Dec 29, 2014 (19:10 local | 08:10 GMT | 03:10 EST | 02:10 CST | 00:10 PST)
Melb Reneg v Syd Thunder at Melbourne (Docklands)
Dec 30, 2014 (19:10 local | 08:10 GMT | 03:10 EST | 02:10 CST | 00:10 PST)
Strikers v Hurricanes at Adelaide
Dec 31, 2014 (18:40 local | 08:10 GMT | 03:10 EST | 02:10 CST | 00:10 PST)
Complete fixtures » | Download Fixtures »