Australia news

Ponting to play on in Test cricket

Brydon Coverdale

February 21, 2012

Ricky Ponting has confirmed that he will play on in Test cricket but has conceded that his one-day international career is over.

Ponting announced his decision at a press conference in Sydney the day after he was dropped from Australia's one-day international squad. Although Ponting did not expressly state that he was retiring from ODIs, he said the national selector John Inverarity had told him he was not in the selectors' plans in the 50-over format as they build towards the 2015 World Cup.

"It's a little bit hard to come here today and say I'm retiring when I've already been left out of the side," Ponting said. "I don't expect to play one-day international cricket for Australia any more and I'm pretty sure the selectors don't expect to pick me either."

Ponting will leave the ODI arena with 13,704 runs at 42.03, second only to Sachin Tendulkar on the all-time run tally. A three-time World Cup winner who captained Australia to two of those titles, Ponting will finish his limited-overs career as Australia's most-capped ODI player.

Ricky Ponting laughs during a press conference a day after he was dropped from the one-day team, SCG, Sydney, February 21, 2012
Ricky Ponting's one-day international career is over © Getty Images

However, his decision to play on in the baggy green means he will add to his 162 Tests on the tour of the West Indies in April. He has also confirmed that he will play for Tasmania and perhaps even at club level in an effort to retain his strong form for the Test side, following an excellent series against India - the third-most prolific of his Test career.

"I will continue playing Test cricket and I'll continue playing for Tasmania as well," Ponting said. "I think I've proved to myself and to everybody else that I'm still capable of dominating Test cricket as I did in the last series against India. I'm looking forward to getting back and playing the last couple of Shield games for Tasmania this year and then heading to the West Indies hopefully with some runs under my belt.

"With the two Shield games I've got before the West Indies tour it's important I spend as much time as I can around the Tasmanian side and get the training required and preparation required to play those games as well and then go to the Caribbean. When we get back from there it will be back into a pre-season maybe even with my club team, Mowbray Cricket Club in Tassie, they might even see a bit more of me as well."

Ponting will leave the one-day game after five single-figure scores in the Commonwealth Bank Series, the longest such period in his ODI career. He said while he did not believe there was anything technically wrong with his batting over the past few weeks, it had been a challenge mentally to push on from his success in the Test series and carry that form into the one-day format.

"My body has been able to get through the rigours of this summer really well and I think my mind has just been a little bit behind where my body's been," he said. "When you're not as sharp as you need to be at international level, then you can expect you're not going to play as well as you like either.

"The thing with the Test summer for me, yes I spent a lot of time in the middle and yes I made a lot of runs, but the work I had to do outside to get my game back to where it was towards the end of the Test series I've had to work harder than ever in my career and I worked harder than everybody else in the Australian team right through the last 12 months. At some stage that was going to catch up with me and I think just being not quite as sharp as I needed to be at the start of the one day series has played a bit of a part in why I haven't scored those runs."

Ponting holds no bitterness to the selectors and was pragmatic in accepting their decision to plan for the future, although he also said he had "put his neck on the line" for the one-day side by stepping in as captain in his final two matches while Michael Clarke was injured. Ponting had been reluctant to take on the leadership, given that David Warner had been Clarke's vice-captain, but he understood it was best for the side for him to take on that position.

"I honestly felt deep down that it was best for the team that I took that role on and tried to get the team through the last couple of games in the best way possible," he said. "With the amount of experience I had it was probably a pretty easy decision.

"I captained nearly 170 games, so it was going to come a bit easier to me than it was going to come to someone who had never captained international cricket before. I took that on, almost put my neck on the line a little bit for the team, but that's what I've always done and that's what I'll always continue to do."

Ponting, 37, said it was clear the end of his international career was drawing closer, but that he felt he still had plenty to offer the Test side after scoring 544 runs at 108.80 against India this summer. After Australia's tour of the West Indies, the next Test series is not until November at home to South Africa, and Ponting hopes to still be in the side then.

"The passion for the international game of cricket for me has not died or changed one little bit," he said. "I still don't see a finish line as far as my international career is concerned. Now that one-day cricket isn't there any more we all know that day is coming closer and closer for me. I don't think I'm the sort of person who is going to want to have a massive farewell series. I'll make a decision when I think that I can't contribute to winning games for Australia."

While Ponting's limited-overs career is over at international level, he is still likely to turn out for Tasmania's Ryobi Cup side. There is a strong possibility the Tigers will benefit from his experience this weekend when they take on South Australia in the one-day final at the Adelaide Oval, and Ponting will also be in the state's one-day mix next season.

"I need to be playing as much cricket as I can to be well-prepared for every game that I play," Ponting said. "With me now only playing Test match cricket, next summer for instance if there happened to be some Ryobi Cup games immediately before a Test match then I'd obviously take the opportunity to play those games."

Brydon Coverdale is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo. He tweets here

RSS Feeds: Brydon Coverdale

Posted by Mr.Gibbs on (February 22, 2012, 10:32 GMT)

Great cricketer, a solid Captin and a very respectful Aussie. It is sad that the national side has dropped him from the squad and it will come more like a shock to himself as he played very well in the test series and he couldnt perform in the ODI's, in my opinion it is harsh on pontings half, he should have atleast played this CB series , and for the countiries making excuses about the 2015 world cup that is still far, it is an honour for Aussie to have a player like Ponting to still play as batsmen in the XI , the time has changed now the players chase the team!! Once upon time the teams used to chase the players atleast on club level!

Posted by vk6848 on (February 22, 2012, 4:10 GMT)

An outstanding batsman with the best defence (at least it used to be) and no mean array of attacking shots; amazing fielder who I think has hit the stumps more times than any other, not to mention the fabulous slip/cover point catches-- Ponting is probably the best cricketing talent we've seen for many years. Sad that he slightly overstayed his welcome in ODIs and I fear the same if he stays on to play against strong teams in tests- Vasanth Kumar

Posted by   on (February 22, 2012, 1:53 GMT)

Please, lets abstain from all other talks in this thread and bow to the great man's humility...he wants to play more and more cricket, even if it is domestic and wants to win Ashes'13...what a player...I feel fortunate to be born in the age of Ricky, the best player I have ever seen

Posted by Uttsbaby on (February 22, 2012, 0:02 GMT)

To all those jokers calling for tendulkar and sehwag's retirement, I challenege you to find someone to replace them. Mukund failed against even the Windies. However much I dislike ponting, i have to admit he's a great player, he's played through the decline of Australia duue to the retirement of the country's greats. They only lost to England because England have improved from the dismal side they used to be in the 90's

Posted by gpm86 on (February 21, 2012, 23:53 GMT)

@Front Foot Lunge- keep your ridiculous opinions to yourself. Get back to me when an engliahman scores more runs in their career then ponting has.

Posted by ForgeNZ on (February 21, 2012, 23:04 GMT)

Ponting should have retired from ODI's aftere the WC. I dont know why he kept on with them.

Posted by arun3169 on (February 21, 2012, 17:14 GMT)

@ Khiladiyon_ka_khiladi

The whole world knows , who is after the records !!

Will 'He' retire @ 99 ??

Will 'He' do what the Don has done (ending his career @ 99.94) ??

Punter is a match winner ! Punter is a real team player who never bothers about individual records .

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 17:12 GMT)

@ Shanka subhra basu - Rohit a future, are you kidding? Can anybody sane say that after Rohit's batting in australia? Did rohit ever score a big one apart from minnow west indies bowling? Manoj Tiwary looks better but these are not future players. We need Sachin always to even dream of qualifying for semi finals in W.cup 2015. The loud mouths talk of Virat Kohli, what did he do when Sachin was the 2nd highest run getter in W.cup 2011 at age of 37? Nobody plays as well as Sachin in world cups. Out of 6 world cups he was the Highest run getter in 2 & in other 2 he was in top 3 scorers. SACHIN was PAST, PRESENT & FUTURE.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 16:19 GMT)

@Sankha: Ha ha Australia has lot of back up players that is why they have taken such decision on Ponting. Sachin is far ahead of Ponting in scoring of runs. He is playing only key series after the World Cup and allowing youngsters to play in this series by sitting out in some matches. In Australia in test matches no player had performed well that is why India lost 4-0, so, here also Sachin only cannot be blamed. Whereas in Australian team expect Ponting is struggling for runs in the ODI series, that is why they have dropped, if Ponting scores heavy runs in domestic circuit he might be selected back. Whereas Virat or Raina or Jadeja,etc is not playing excellent cricket to drop Tendulkar from the side. That is the reality my dear friend. Sachin is great player and he will retire when he feels it is time. We Indians always criticize Sachin for ever wrong thing that happens. Who in the present ODI series is performing outstandingly except Dhoni and Gambhir, no other batsmen had done well.

Posted by Aussieresurgance on (February 21, 2012, 15:50 GMT)

A legend, bowing out without tears, head held up. All those who negatively put him down here need to remember he would have been selected in ANY international 11 throughout his career, and he played HARD while many who were too weak to man up crumbled, cried and whined about sledging etc.

This guy is a tough nut, and thats why he's going to keep going in tests. And those comparing to Lara and Tendulkar need to remember that neither of those two shouldered captaincy responsibility for the majority of their career - Ponting did, and while the POMS will gloat about Ashes defeats, they could concede that over Ponting's career he was actually on the winning side of Ashes matches far more often than the losing (thats you POMS) side!

One day he'll be dropped from the test team too. And there wont be tears then either...

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 15:50 GMT)

What a glorious One Day Career it was! Two world cups under his captaincy. Three world cups with him in the side. A smashing innings in the 2003 WC final. I regard Ponting's ODI career as the third greatest, next to Sachin and Viv Richards. It was a sad ending. I wish his retirement came even more gracefully than McGrath's and Steve Waugh's retirement. At least, he should get the graceful farewell in the Tests. The graceful farewell, only he and very few other cricketers deserve.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 15:11 GMT)

Ponting have much more ODI cricket left in him.. But still he got out fr the team... Dis is what a true champion player called ...

Posted by ssmith123 on (February 21, 2012, 15:05 GMT)

Come on Tendulkar and Sehwag... give it up... when will you be ashamed of taking your paycheck? Hundreds and thousands of youngsters are in line.. announce the retirement ... Indian selectors - please wake up.. learn from Australian selectors.. put politics away and put country first...

Posted by Front-Foot-Lunge on (February 21, 2012, 14:42 GMT)

No one could claim seriously Ponting has been a great captain, his tactics on the field led to the start of endless years of mockery by opponents due to him always being unimaginative, slow to react and clueless when bowlers weren't getting him wickets. Fans might remember the infamous Warne/Ponting argument on the 1st day of the Edgbaston test in 2005, for me that was the start of it. He is defined by his hundreds, of which there are many, but his numerous disciplinary problems on the field stained his reputation forever. Saying he's going to stay on in tests is I'm afraid to say a totally arrogant move by a predictable individual. No doubt England would LOVE for him to stay on, to lose yet another Ashes to England.

Posted by Lara4life501 on (February 21, 2012, 14:41 GMT)

Sachin, Ponting....who gives??? Ill be watching Brian Lara bat when I die and go to heaven, next to Warne, crickets greatest showman...Amen!

Posted by Khiladiyon_ka_khiladi on (February 21, 2012, 14:26 GMT)

He Must have retire from all format just after Test Series... He won't get that Golden luck what Indian poor Bowling Fielding gave him Soon Selectors will drop him if he don't do himself...He is just running after Records that's it Its shame for him that he chose clark as his successor and clark dropped him from ODIs and Ponting is responsible for all that Age is growing he must go with respect not like this

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 14:14 GMT)

legendz never Die !!!! A GReat leader =}}}}

Posted by Kaze on (February 21, 2012, 14:02 GMT)

@Gordo85 Lee is needed in the ODI side to give the Test bowlers like Hilfy, Siddle and Harris a rest. He is also very effective.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 13:46 GMT)

A very very good decision by the selectors it not worth it having him in the team as he just name 19 runs in total of 5 matches wtf? Australia is full of talented new players they should get a chance, Its over for ponting.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 13:36 GMT)

Absolutely fantastic player with a great batting technique second to none. His pull and hook are legenday and I recall him getting dropped despite scoring 80 odd against the mighty Windies early in his career because they reckoned he was a careless hooker. I dont think any modern cricketer comes close to matching Ricky on the hook shot. Anyone remember his hundred in the WC final against India in SA and there are a string of such memorable innings. He will go down as one of the all time greats for batting and fielding. Shame the circumstances which led to him being dropped. I would have liked to see him announce his retirment at the end of this summer from all forms but wish him well for the tests.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 13:33 GMT)

Good bye to one of ODI's best batsman, you shall be dearly missed Ricky. Good luck on your test career.

Posted by satanswish on (February 21, 2012, 13:31 GMT)

His One-Day performance viz. career was well over an year back. Just that one hundred against Indians in WC2011 prolonged his ODI tenure. He could have well announced his ODI retirement gracefully after successful Test Series vs India this summer. Don't blame selectors, Ponting himself should be held responsible for such disgraced retirement.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 13:25 GMT)

A Great ODI career comes to an end...Very unfortunate but correct decision by CA selectors!! No doubt he was probably the best ODI player after Sachin but with current form and his huge uncertainty in the upcoming 2015 ,the selectors have done the right thing probably..BCCIshould take some lesson from them and should learn that nobody is bigger than the game and nobody body is indispensible.They should also be setting some guide lines for the seniors in both the formats..Sachin Tendulkars participation in next WC is highly unlikely then why was he given the chance to play more so in Australia because this is the only time young palyers will be testing themselves in before coming for the next WC here again. Also Sehwag's erratic batting display is quite unpardonable....Manoj Tiwari/Rohit Sharma /Virat Kohli should be given most of the oppurtunities in both forms of the game because they are your future.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 12:55 GMT)

I usually don't post comments, but only for this great man I would like to post. He is my all time favorite and I dont think there will be any other Pontnig in cricket history. He is a complete institution for young players who is mentally, technically and physically too much fit. I have no doubt about Tendulkar greatness but for me Ponting is far far better than Tendlkar (No offense). Selector should give him proper farewell....

Will miss you Ponting :)

Posted by Mathew71 on (February 21, 2012, 12:38 GMT)

Ponting if he continue playing Test cricket in the form he played against the then #01 Team India,Bye Bye Sachin's record of highest number of Test centuries for good.Then only India can have the longest serving cricketer in the history on Sachin,who will continue playing till he gets record broken again against any one of the Test playing nations at the time he retires,that is including Afghanistan,Ireland,UAE,Maldives,Canada,who all will be supported by BCCI financially to influence ICC to get the Test status!!!

Posted by lebigfella on (February 21, 2012, 12:10 GMT)

I have watched the Press Conference this morning and it is sad that RTP is not going out on his terms but he knows in his heart of hearts it is the right time... the ACB stuck with him in the Test Arena however his ODI form has been awful and anyone... and I mean anyone should be dropped on his current form. He has also admitted that he has had to work extremely hard to get into form in the tests where you can also spend time in the middle finding your feet/form/touch BUT ODI cricket needs your input pretty much from the start... I sincerely hope hope he continues for a lot longer in the Test Match Arena but only if he continues to play to his high standards... this time he will know when to stand down and I hope it is on his own terms & on a real high

Posted by Gordo85 on (February 21, 2012, 11:57 GMT)

Brett Lee should do what Ponting is doing and that is put the team first over himself. Just like how Brett Lee is playing through the pain barrier so he can just overtake McGrath's ODI bowling record. Now that doesn't sound very good after hearing that from my least favourite cricketer of all time. Ricky save up your best for Tests and of course if you can't then you will get dropped from there as well. But all the best Ricky.

Posted by Mehboob_hoo on (February 21, 2012, 11:37 GMT)

I think bad decision by selectors, he is all time great batsman. The No.1 batsman ever the international cricket produce, a match winner, WAOOO Ponting,The best player of shot pitched ball. I remember the 2003 WC final. You are my favorite batsman. I love you...

Posted by JimmyDee on (February 21, 2012, 11:36 GMT)

The ODI format is held a distant 2nd to the Test format in Australia. If Ponting's Test form had suffered miserably during the recent series, i am sure he would have retired from all international cricket at the completion of that series. This is probably a blessing in disguise for his Test future. Considering how fit he has remained, during his career and even now, he may well have another 3 or 4 yrs, form withstanding.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 11:22 GMT)

yes he is the world best .....i think leaving ODI is not good decision he...should rest for some games then carry on playing ODI and Tests till 2014 ashes....he is only experienced member in team so he should carry on ponting ,, you should not retire till 2014;(

Posted by Karthik_CricketFan on (February 21, 2012, 11:09 GMT)

The cricketing world will miss Ponting! Hope you make a strong headlines in Test Cricket.

Posted by stormy16 on (February 21, 2012, 10:55 GMT)

Posted by jmcilhinney on (February 21, 2012, 10:51 GMT)

Ha! Ponting says "It's a little bit hard to come here today and say I'm retiring when I've already been left out of the side". Maybe he should speak to Rahul Dravid. If he has or does make the decision that he doesn't want to play any more ODIs then he should officially retire. If he doesn't mind getting called up at some point then he can just leave it and see. That said, the likelihood of Australia finding themselves in the position India did on their tour of England is relatively small.

Posted by Dolci on (February 21, 2012, 10:49 GMT)

A truly great player and clearly one of the best. Unlike others he has won many matches for AUS both in aus and abroad. Sad to see him kicked out like this, but he is not the future and he is fast becoming a player of the past. RIP pointing

Posted by dunger.bob on (February 21, 2012, 10:49 GMT)

@ VillageBlacksmith on (February 21 2012, 09:30 AM GMT) : Hi there, noticed your comment and have to say I just don't get it. .. I'm gonna have to do a Pauline Hanson here and say "Please explain !". .. if you are worried about how he will get on in the big bad world after his cricket career ends, all I can say is I wouldn't have minded having 10's of millions of good solid Aussie dollars paid into my bank account by the time I was 40. .. not a bad way to go into your mid-life crisis I reckon. .. Here's something from left field for ya. .. apparently it's not inconceivable that he could be competitive on the seniors golf tour. It that was true he could continue to earn indecent amounts of money for doing sod all. Life just sucks doesn't it....

Posted by H-Shakil on (February 21, 2012, 10:47 GMT)

ACB should play him this serios and allow a gracefull retirment!

Posted by Mappi on (February 21, 2012, 10:37 GMT)

This is a different b/w CA & BCCI / PCB selectors, they think hard make harsh decision and plan for the future, its very simple CA cant see Ponting surviving until 2015 WC, so they want new players, who will play for them for 2015 WC, same way they acted for Waugh brothers in 2001, there is no bitterness for anyone Ponting played his part, highest number of matches played by an Australian and scored heavily. Well played Ponting and wish u best of luck in your remaniing TEST career.

Posted by Abdul1854 on (February 21, 2012, 10:29 GMT)

This is ridiculous, beside he has been a legend.. he should not have been treated this way..!! Ricky deserves a final match and a farewell.!!

Posted by mcsdl on (February 21, 2012, 10:03 GMT)

Punter is the most competitive cricketer of all time. Bit underrated in my opinion. Probably the best thing happened to Aussie cricket since Bradman and brought the worst to the opposition team (specially between 2002-2008), His ruthlessness as a batsman, fielder as a captain and also his media press conferences and interviews brought confidence to the Aussie team and the pain to the opposition. He is no doubt one of the all-time greats for me. You will be missed Ricky Ponting..!

Posted by sachin_vvsfan on (February 21, 2012, 9:51 GMT)

Some fans cant just ignore sachin when the article is about ricky . CA could have handled this better by having a word with him so that he be allowed to play till the end of series and retire gracefully. Hope he plays in the next ashes.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 9:49 GMT)

Posted by VillageBlacksmith on (February 21, 2012, 9:30 GMT)

ponting has never done a days work outside of cricket in his life, ever, he has no conceopt of the real world, that's why he keeps desperately clinging on & on & on... he has no idea what real work is, and believe me ponting it isn't $5 mill a year swanning around the world at the front of a plane!!!

Posted by Green_and_Gold on (February 21, 2012, 9:16 GMT)

@Mozenrath Tabaqi: win the toss and bat first - dont worry about chasing totals

Posted by Charindra on (February 21, 2012, 9:07 GMT)

Good to see him continue in test cricket. But I sincerely hope that he knows when to call time on his test career, maybe the test series later this year in Australia. I don't care if it's sentimental, he deserves a farewell match at home.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 9:00 GMT)

A great player... Nobody is perfect.. Inspite of his imperfections he was still a batsman who used to make every bowler sweat it out.. Ill miss watching him play. A true playa that you are Punter!!!!!!!!!!! Kudos Mate..

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 8:58 GMT)

Good to know that we would see ponter play in TEST

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 8:45 GMT)

A great player and a grand ambassador of the game of cricket. Mr.Ponting, I love you and your dedication to cricket. ponting is a far , far better player than tendulkar. ponting won matches for Aus , tendulkar played for himself & his own personal glory & lost games for India.its always sad to see him not playing for Australia, but the way he was Shown the doors, it could have been in much better way. Such A great players doesn't deserve such a treatment.Ricky Ponting's exemplary service to Australian cricket over the past two decades warrants more respect than was shown by the selectors.Farewell Punter, thanks for the memories mate, you're a legend !!

Posted by RasCric on (February 21, 2012, 8:41 GMT)

Chill out guys, Sachin only plays for country. He is playing to reach another record and after that he will retire. Isn't that the love of country? Why make way for youngsters when he can after 100 matches give another record to country. I mean look at the guy, he is still playing in all 3 formats at the age of 39. Why> he loves his country... :)

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 8:40 GMT)

Shame on CA, for they disposed one of the greatest cricketers of all times is such a way....very much disappointed that he didnt get a chance to say gud bye to the limited overs edition the way he deserved or the way he wanted......but for most of the cricket followers you will be an inspiration for decades to come.....All the very best Punter....will surely miss you in odi's....

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 8:37 GMT)

We Mis Punter surely, but cricket will also mis Punter gem of a player

Posted by Chris_P on (February 21, 2012, 8:36 GMT)

Sound decision Punter, you showed in the recent test series you can still deliver & you're near the top of your game, albeit somewhat different style from your younger days. You still have plenty to offer in tests. And the fielding, still one of the best in the game in any position. Punter knows the reasons why this was made, there won't be farewell games. There wasn't for Mark Taylor, Alan Border or Steve Waugh who were all giants of Aussie cricket, so why should Punter get one? Aussies don't go for that. His one day legacy will be firmly imprinted on any who had the pleasure to watch him in action.

Posted by bdsmaruf on (February 21, 2012, 8:32 GMT)

i think BIWASH is right. selector have provide PONTING for farewell game. its a morality to show respect to a agreat.

Posted by TestCric on (February 21, 2012, 8:26 GMT)

Oh life is so cruel! Punter dropped! Has he played is last match..? As a Indian cricket follower always hated Punters demolishing performances against India. Cannot forget the way he, along with Damien Martin, demolished the Indian Attack in WC Final 2003 and ruined the Indian hopes before half of the match was over. Cannot forget his aggressive psychological war fares.. it was as hot his batting and fielding was. Punter cricketing carrier is over ? oh how nostalgic it is... It is painful to recall how his career blossomed and now it is wilting.. very natural.. very common.. but in life everything ends. Adios punter!

Posted by Yolk_Eater on (February 21, 2012, 8:17 GMT)

what an honest statement:- "It's a little bit hard to come here today and say I'm retiring when I've already been left out of the side."

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 8:15 GMT)

True cricketer, Great leader who lead from front.So many great players played around him. But no one showed professionalism, leadership and respect for the game like him at the same time. Leading from the front, Batting with style and fighting till the bitter end. I wish and pray my green shirts get a captain, a player like him

Posted by St.as.ram.rod on (February 21, 2012, 8:00 GMT)

As much as I believe in behaving professionally in the elite sports.. I do feel for someone who gives a most important part of one's life in that Sport... My point is not to give someone a farewell match but rather i'll put it this way that the player should be told that this is his last series or this will be last few matches.. n this make sense in Ponting's case, as Selectors have to look out for 2015 and unlike Indian selectors they have guts to do tht.. so they cud've told Ponting that irrespective how you perform we have to look ahead.. And that way, the player would understand and give his best.. I believe similar things should happen with likes of Dravids and Laxman's... The point is selectors need to hv a word with player to knw their plan n let them knw selectors point. We all deserve intimation when we are abt to be rolled off n thts the least greats of game deserve

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 7:58 GMT)

ricky ponting was agreat player

Posted by SixSixes666 on (February 21, 2012, 7:45 GMT)

The ACB selectors dumping of Ricky Ponting from the one day team is further evidence of their ineptitude. The farcical nature of re-instating him as captain and then the following game dumping him from the team is laughable. In spite of his recent one day form slump Ricky Ponting's exemplary service to Australian cricket over the past two decades warrants more respect than was shown by the selectors. It is time to exclude capt. Clarke and his assistant Arthur from the team selection process as well as removing certain selectors from the ACB selection panel as they have passed their expiry date. Farewell Punter, thanks for the memories mate, you're a legend !!

Posted by jebypc on (February 21, 2012, 7:41 GMT)

A great player and a grand ambassador of the game of cricket. Mr.Ponting, I love you and your dedication to cricket. May you bring great laurels to your team in the test format. Your knocks in ODI's especially against India will be etched in my memory for ever. You are a great captain and a legendary player. All the best wishes from my side to you. Really the game of ODI cricket will miss you............

Posted by suko99 on (February 21, 2012, 7:40 GMT)

ponting is a far , far better player than tendulkar. ponting won matches for Aus , tendulkar played for himself & his own personal glory & lost games for India. make up your own mind as to who the really great plyer is. but tendulkar should keep playing. he doesn't wanna miss out on the oppportunity of getting to 20,000 test runs & 25,000 ODI runs !!!

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 7:34 GMT)

HOW MANY 250+ TARGETS HAS PONTING CHASED IN ODIS? I REMEMBER HIM FAILING IN A FEW CHASES. HE IS BELOW HIS ASIAN COUNTERPARTS ESPECIALLY INZAMAM AND EVEN SRT WHO HAS A BETTER RECORD IN CHASES AND YES TOURNAMENT FINALS (EXCEPT 2003 WC FINAL OF COURSE).

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 7:33 GMT)

Although I am a Sri Lankan, i have admired his batting & fielding for the past 2 decades. Probably a Great Cricketer.... Well Done....

Posted by Biwash on (February 21, 2012, 7:33 GMT)

I think Ricky Ponting is one of the great player of the world. So Selector have provide him for farewell game. Jonh please don't insult to the one of the great player.

Posted by adscurve on (February 21, 2012, 7:27 GMT)

Ricky ponting, its always sad to see him not playing for Australia, but the way he was Shown the doors, it could have been in much better way. Such A great players doesn't deserve such a treatment.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 7:25 GMT)

Hats off to Aussie selection panel. They are really trying to get the country back to the Top of the table and they are seeing the progress towards their goal. So they don't care about the individual records or accoades and what matters to Aus is the consistent performance. You can see Mike Hussey booted out by this year or next year as he will be 38 by then. So they set a benchmark as to how long a player can go on playing for the country. Except for Allan Boder, I don't think anyone was allowed to stay beyond 38. Look at our ISPs Sehwag can't even put bat to ball and he plays like a No 11 tailender, still ends up leading the side in Dhoni's absence, while Aus overlooked their Vice Captain to give the captaincy to Ricky Poting in his last match. At his current form Sehwag doesn't deserve to be in the 16 member team. ISPs should take a leaf out of NSP handling of Ponting's sacking and boot out the Top 4 from both Sehwag, Sachin, Dravid and Laxman and build with youngsters ASAP.

Posted by Nerk on (February 21, 2012, 7:21 GMT)

Why are people calling for a 'farewell' ODI? Did Ian Healy, who when he was dropped was the greatest keeper in the history of the game, get a farewell? No, because selectors back then recognised that no one player was bigger than the team. His axing was ruthless, but it brought in Gilchrist, who went on to great things himself. Furthermore, it isn't as though the selectors did not indicate to him he was running out of chances.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 7:21 GMT)

Ponting may not play ODI's any more, but he will surely dominate Test cricket for many years to come...An inglorious end to a glorious career. :( Ricky Your are Legend Love You...:)

Posted by Ajronald on (February 21, 2012, 7:18 GMT)

I now understand why Damien Martyn retired midway ... and why Warne, McGrath, Langer wanted to go on a high ...

Posted by JustIPL on (February 21, 2012, 7:17 GMT)

Wonderful player he scored throughout the test series and kept tendulkar under pressure who is still in and out of the indian side in search of that numerical milestone. Hope tendulkar will stop boring us anymore.

Posted by Sports4Youth on (February 21, 2012, 7:11 GMT)

It is part of life. However, great a player one might be. He must remember that when he was young and firing on all cylinders he must have usurped someone elses place in the team. Now he is getting old and youngsters like Warner, Wade etc are starting to come in. Every one must learn to move on when the time is right. Ponting must move on in life. Cricket Australia must also move on for their own good. There cannot be any room for sentiments. AND MAY I ADD THAT THINGS HOLD GOOD FOR OUR OWN SENIORS ALSO. SRT etc.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 6:59 GMT)

Please punter never give it up.To the selector of australia this is my earnest request please bring ricky back.Still he has the ability to play in one day arena.Certainly he is the greatest cricketer.Look his achievement deeply what you will see?2 world cup as a captain and one as a player and also a lot of success.without punter it is very hard to know aussie team.Ponting i really like u . U are my hero of cricket.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 6:54 GMT)

Ponting is not going to loose anything by not playing one-day cricket but one-day game is definitely going to loose an awesome cricketer. It is hard to replace cricketers like Punter. Good that he decided not to quit from Test cricket, atleast we can see him in the most important format of the game. Mate, Thanks for not quitting from Test Cricket, keep rocking!!!!

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 6:50 GMT)

One of the most stylish cricketers of the current generation. Will go down as a legend of international cricket. Widout doubt when in prime form there wasn't any one better than him. Loads of love & best of luck for your future from Pakistan. God Bless :)

Posted by kurups on (February 21, 2012, 6:41 GMT)

Ponting, one of my very fav cricketer, surely deserved a better farewell!! Such an intense cricketer who has played so many match winning or saving innings. Am glad he is still playing.. As a "test cricket" fan, am utterly shattered on how India played this recent series... the only consolation to come out of this recent test series is that it helped revive Ponting's career! Go Punter!

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 6:37 GMT)

Ponting will not miss cricket but cricket will Ponting. Best cricketer i have watched.........cricket has LOST one of the finest players. He was not only the best batsman but also the best fielder around....He has taken some of most amazing catches ever. Those who compare him with those useless and selfish Indian batsmen are ignorant and know nothing about cricket.

Posted by satish619chandar on (February 21, 2012, 6:34 GMT)

He is surely a classiest player to have played.. Arrogance is born with him and his arrogance with bat in his hands was just awesome.. Just loved to see him bat.. Even during his lean period, he got out stylishly.. I just loved everything of this man in all forms of cricket.. Thank you Ricky.. Hope you get a well deserved Swansong match!! The brutal innings in 2003 WC match and his last ODI century were absolute treats.. His 92 against SA where Aussies chased 327(That time record for chasing) was the best i have seen.. Thanks for memories!

Posted by TarunRaman on (February 21, 2012, 6:29 GMT)

When things were going wrong for India in 2000, it was Ganguly who stepped, Tendulkar was shabby in his captaincy and rightly so, wanted to concentrate on his batting. That was the turning point of Indian cricket. When Ganguly was forced to retire, paradoxically, his own find MS Dhoni was made the captain of a star-studded team.i If u see Sachin's footwork, its tittering all the time for his 100th ton and ends up gifting away his wicket. Whereas, Ponting in his interview said that he accepts that he is ODI tenure is over with such dignity, you wonder ever if Sachin or Sehwag could be so open about their not-so-tenacious battng anymore Ricky Ponting was a shadow of the now Virat Kohli. Young, arrogant, brash and a full-mouthed batsman with an aggressive approach, his famous pull and the outrageously blunt leave are some legendary trademarks. He has done something(Two time World cup captain?) that none of the Indians have ever been pulled up, unity in the camp(excepting Michael Clarke

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 6:24 GMT)

Hats off to punter....Great batsman!!

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 6:22 GMT)

Undoubtedly the greatest One Day player of his time,better than Sanchin andLlara as he held the captaincy burden as well and still scored and was an unselfish player always doing what is best for the team. Who can forget his marvellous 140 in one of the World Cup Finals or his gritty 100 in the last World Cup innings in 2011 where he tried so hard as the leader to pull the team through. A true mentor to younger players, a gifted fielder and a focused individual who fought to the end - the true sign of a champion going to the nets for hours and hours to get the technique correct to keep going. Believed in younger players bowling the last innings of a match - I saw him do this with a young Shane Watson and believed in Andrew Symonds with positive results. I will miss him in the One-Dayers.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 6:07 GMT)

He will come back in ODI's.

Posted by 67305 on (February 21, 2012, 5:49 GMT)

Ponting has graced the cricket arena for over 15 years and has done Australia proud all that time, he has been a great and inteligent captain and IMO he is a greater cricketer than Tendulkar in asmuch as he is a far better fieldsman than Sachin and can field in any position on the ground,(unlike Sachin)....I feel happy that i have watched Ricky during all his career and he will be sadly missed,this happens to every player at some time of their life....Good luck with everything you do for the rest of your life Ricky.

Posted by jtstriker9 on (February 21, 2012, 5:49 GMT)

The time had come on a great career. So many younger players knocking on the door now that it's time for Punter to step aside and let the Aussies build for the next world cup. Not sure if he would have merited a place with Watson, Clarke and Marsh (when he rediscovers his form) to come back in. Should he still be considered for the test side under this same proviso is another matter. Not sure an embarrassing time against the swinging ball vs England in Ashes 2013 will be a fitting way to end his career either. Better to go now and leave with his head held high ala Murali........

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 5:48 GMT)

Ponting, you are one of the all time greatest cricketers. All the best for your future!

Posted by LAKingsFan on (February 21, 2012, 5:43 GMT)

How on earth some people try to compare him to Sachin? Sachin is no where near to Ponting when it comes to achievement. Unlike Sachin, Ponting always put his team first than his personal records. Sachin is in the league of Gavarskar whose only intention is to score for his personal milestones.

Posted by TheGreatBCCI on (February 21, 2012, 5:36 GMT)

Ponting is not retired from ODI Cricket, he will get his chance like Rahul Dravid some day. Selectors will come back to him for Support. Please keep playing Limited Overs Cricket for Tasmania and definitely will get back into Team...... Great Batsman in the History of Cricket

Posted by SRT_GENIUS on (February 21, 2012, 5:33 GMT)

Overall this "retirement" has left a little sour taste in the mouth. CA should've handled this better, more communication was always an option. Hope Tendulkar learns from incident and atleast announces his plan to retire.

Posted by inefekt on (February 21, 2012, 5:31 GMT)

The expectation of a billion people? What a load of rubbish. Firstly, not every Indian is a cricket fan, I've got many Indians here at work that are not fans of the game and secondly, there is absolutely no pressure on any player to perform for his fans, not in any country and not in any sport. Sports people are extreme individuals, very self focused, it's what it takes to be a top sports person in any sport and I severely doubt any of them feel pressure to perform for anyone except themselves and their team mates.

Posted by wibcl on (February 21, 2012, 5:26 GMT)

Ricky Ponting is undoubtedly the top three batsman in the last two decades and 2nd best australian batsman ever. Yes even punter knows that he is not in the best of form in the ODI cricket and good that he is retired. But only one thing that hurts me. why was he not a given a chance to play a farewell game and get a better send off. He has done so many great things for CA and he deserves better than this. Come on selectors, give him one game as a farewell and you will see the ground full and so many people watching on TV and you could make lot of money. Good luck punter.

Posted by santoshjohnsamuel on (February 21, 2012, 5:24 GMT)

Just want to endorse what Deepanjan Datta said: This is precisely why Australia will always recover quicker from their 'slump'. And this is precisely why Ricky Ponting remains world's winningest player. Team above self, always!

Posted by alonetiger on (February 21, 2012, 5:18 GMT)

It is the same story which happend with the great steven waugh before 2003 world cup the australian selectors dropped him for that world cup and every one called it very wrong decision but dont forget the selector s decision was right coz australia won that world cup and the selectors proved that they were right and critics were wrong but again dont forget that steve waugh was the one who brought the world cup 1999 home with his own memorable performance in it.so same story for ricky here now.he is a great legand but he will obey his board for surely coz all the great players done it for australia in the past.

Posted by thinktank1 on (February 21, 2012, 5:17 GMT)

Really this Australian team doesn't care about sentiments and all.. very different from subcontinent teams. Murali has played in crucial WC final even though he was not performing well that time.. same happens with Sachin and others.

Posted by Vpx23 on (February 21, 2012, 5:10 GMT)

HE IS SURELY A BETTER ALL ROUND PLAYER THAN SACHIN. HANDS DOWN!!! WHO STOOD UP AND MADE IT COUNT ON NUMEROUS OCCASIONS. A TRUE FIGHTER TO THE CORE.. FARWELL MATE!!

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 5:03 GMT)

I have been following ponting since 2002, and everytime he would do something outstanding, would bring goosebumps. I would have loved to see him get a good farewell. As an OZ follower over the last decade, I really felt sad with the WC 2011 exit and pontings sacking. Always will be a hero to many with his attitude.

Posted by Aussie5566 on (February 21, 2012, 5:00 GMT)

It's a sad to hear that we can't see you in ODI games.But,It's good decision to play test cricket further. Good Luck for you Mr.RT Ponting... (ONE DAY CRICKET AUSTRALIA WILL FEEL YOUR LOSS HIGHLY)

Once again,My best wishes for the world greatest cricket player,RICKY PONTING!!!

Posted by hnlns on (February 21, 2012, 4:56 GMT)

Ponting will always be remembered as one of the best fielders the game has seen in recent years as also for his very attacking style of batting and huge appetite for runs. Indian team can feel happier not having to bowl to him, remembering what he did to them in the World Cup final in 2003 and more recently in the test series.

Posted by loks07 on (February 21, 2012, 4:54 GMT)

I don't know when people will stop pointing fingers on sachin's fielding. I don't remember any misfield or dropped catches from the legend. Safe, very safe.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 4:48 GMT)

Every one has to call off...you were great Ricky...we enjoyed a lot..and we are who watches you from a small cricketer to transforming to a LEGEND...Wishing you Happy life ahead...

Posted by oracle199 on (February 21, 2012, 4:39 GMT)

I'll bet the blood pressure went up a bit in the SA camp the moment CA dropped Punter! Now he'll play the Ryobi final for Tassie on one of his favourite decks....

Posted by Asad1979 on (February 21, 2012, 4:34 GMT)

I am the biggest fan of Ponting... I really missed your pull shots ...HATS OFF you are a true legend...

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 4:33 GMT)

Ponting's retirement should be more celebrated and famous than the way it has been put out by media and website. he was the Godfather of One day Cricket. winning two world cups as a captain. playing four finals of world cup. getting the highest score in a world cup final. and many things. he was a don and will always remain

Posted by nikhilbengeri on (February 21, 2012, 4:30 GMT)

Its such a shame to Cricket Australia that they disposed off such a great cricketing icon like Ricky Ponting.. Being at the International level, they didn't even have the common sense to call Punter and ask him to retire mutually. May be he would have played his heart out in his last ODI game and would have got a great farewell.. I really feel pity (and as a fact I din like him as a person), but my respect has increased ten folds to Punter for bowing out. These are the signs of a great cricketer..

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 4:24 GMT)

Unfortunately for Ponting he should have retired earlier after the world cup. There was literally nothing more for him to offer and it has been a constant struggle in all formats after that until the India test series. But it is the right move. Aus have to look forward to building the squad for the next world cup. Putting him as captain made bo sense whatsoever when his place was under question. The selectors made the right call although probably harsh. He was a legend and will continue to remain so but as always past performances cannot make a player bigger than his team.

Question remains - do the indian selectors have the gall to do the same? Maybe not drop him abruptly but give him a chance to retire gracefully at the end of this ODI series. There is no point in prolonging his ODI career anymore. World cup has a long way to go and India definitely needs to rebuild before that.

Posted by Pravej on (February 21, 2012, 4:23 GMT)

He is the legend cricketer. One of the greatest player in the history of cricket. No one can come closer to his record of playing 4 world cup finals and part of 3 WC winning team also caption the 2 WC winning team.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 4:22 GMT)

I dnt want tendulkar to be in this type situation. Plz just get over it smash some hits just lyk the previous cb series and silence dem all.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 4:19 GMT)

It's time for BCCI to take some tough decision....

Posted by ravi-1967 on (February 21, 2012, 4:13 GMT)

People who said Tendulkar did not play well in the KO of the World Cup 2011. Remember he scored a 50 against AUS in the QF and a 80+ in the SF against Pak. God knows what happens to the memory of these people. Agreed he is not playing as well as he has done in the past in AUS now. Do not forget that he was the best batsman for India in 2010.

Ponting a true legend of the game could have been treated better but he had it coming. He did not play well at all in the past two years.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 3:39 GMT)

Ricky Ponting is undoubtedly one of the legends in One day cricket and Test cricket as well. He won many matches for Australia. His departure from one day cricket will definitely be a setback for Australia Cricket team.

Wishing Ricky all the best.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 3:29 GMT)

hhahahaaaaaa better than sachin???in wat way hez better than sachin???does he have da expectation of a billion ppl??

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 3:26 GMT)

Posted by spinkingKK on (February 21, 2012, 3:18 GMT)

Ponting is still an outstanding fielder. So, he is not at all a liability in the field like a Tendulkar or Sehwag. In batting, we all know that he got the class. So, I beleive that he can still be persisted with in ODI's. May be that is the reason why he didn't retire yet. Because, if Australia start struggling, then Ponting can still come back into the side with his vast experience.

Posted by Hodra99 on (February 21, 2012, 3:16 GMT)

It is obvious for all to agree Ponting is a legend. He has been a champion of the one day game over a long long time, and arguably its most successful player (captaining 2 world cups and playing in 3 winning teams alone). His time in ODI's was up however and the selectors have got it right. He looked horrible in the last 5 matches and not being involved in this form of the game may just extend his career, and allow him to fulfill his desire to beat England in the next ashes series over there and retire from tests then.

Posted by The_Wog on (February 21, 2012, 3:13 GMT)

He shouldn't get a testimonial season. And ideally he would be able to retire better than this, even saying "The selectors rang and said that I would not be in the side so at this point I'm out of ODIs" rather than have the NSP name 12 and not be on it. But the reality is the squads come out between matches 2 days apart - what can you do? When you play on to the death, you will evitably go out after a string of failures. Plenty of guys with great records were stamped "never to play again."

What I wanted to see was him continue in tests. They won't play again till Oct. He sees his wife and kids, gets a rest, comes in mentally a lot fresher. At his age, playing 2-3 forms means 12 months a year. Unbelievable to think of Tests a semi-retirement, but that's where the game is currently and I'm glad Punter's still a part of it.

Posted by tanish2009 on (February 21, 2012, 3:08 GMT)

What a player!!! However, he should have been given option to play his farewell ODI match................Life is really rude, no body cares once you can't perform.............hats off to Punter and all the best wishes for his prolonged test carrier................

Posted by landl47 on (February 21, 2012, 3:08 GMT)

It's unfortunate that Ponting is going to carry on until he is pushed out of the test side as well, making an ignominious end to a great career. He won't be playing in England in 2013; South Africa has Steyn, Morkel and Philander and they'll take him down as surely as England took him down in the last Ashes series. He could have gone out on a high with a great series, albeit against a very substandard side. Instead he's choosing to hang around like a guest at a party who won't leave until the host tells him he must go. Being determined was always a great part of his character, but this is just being stubborn. Sad.

Posted by jonesy2 on (February 21, 2012, 3:07 GMT)

the other thing is, how amazing are these SS matches going to be with all the superstars playing in them looking for runs and wickets before the windies tour, ponting, marsh, maybe watto, cowan, khawaja, lyon, starc, coulter-nile, cutting, siddle.

Posted by 7185 on (February 21, 2012, 3:02 GMT)

Its good Ponting, your decision is most welcome . We love u as a batsman ,u will be remebered for a long time to come. But unfortunately there has to be end for all beginnning

Posted by joisbalu on (February 21, 2012, 3:01 GMT)

miss u punter.. cant forget the innings of 2003 final

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 2:59 GMT)

Hi Ricky....You are a true Leader and a fighter,which shows in clearly in your intreview, the intent and desire to do well. It teaches one thing..What ever you do in life there will be good time and bad time but do not stop fighting.Thank you Ricky.Though you have achieved everything what someone can dream from,the apetite to do good and do better in life is a learning lesson for me.You are one of my heros and will remain.God Bless you man and good luck...

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 2:57 GMT)

he should have retire from test cricket also because to make alot pressure for selector for searching his place in both format of game....

Posted by jonesy2 on (February 21, 2012, 2:57 GMT)

well, what can you say, the greatest career in ODI history is over. i think this may spell wonders for his test cricket. this legendary champion well be missed in the one day arena

Posted by SixFourOut on (February 21, 2012, 2:56 GMT)

Punter is our best One Day Batsmen ever, but dude, how did he NOT see this coming?

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 2:55 GMT)

Looks like the selectors had given him the option a few times but he has not taken it forcing their hands to leave him out. It is easier to try to hit the ball than leave it; it is easier to time the stroke than time the retirement. In the case of Ponting the spirit is willing but the flesh does not as often. Many players have faced this dilemma and I think in the heart of heart they all should be quite okay with the decision of the selectors.... That said, Ponting had a glorious ODI career and will be remembered for ever for his brilliant batting and effulgent fielding in the format. May his desire to regain the Ashes in England (where he had lost it) be fulfilled!

Posted by PBs09 on (February 21, 2012, 2:48 GMT)

Et tu Punter? The last of the indomitable Aussies has fallen. Couldn't go on forever, such a pity. Thanks for the memories. The World Cup final battering will haunt me forever!

Posted by AjaySridharan on (February 21, 2012, 2:47 GMT)

Deserved a better send off than this. Sometimes I don't agree with this hype around "professionalism" of the Australia selectors. Grant a man some dignity...nothing unprofessional about that. We so easily confuse ruthlessness for professionalism. Well played Punter...you had a great ODI career. Perhaps now you can go and make some money in IPL ::)

Posted by Mr.Khb on (February 21, 2012, 2:46 GMT)

This is not the way he should leave ODI's..After what he has done for his country not only as a batsman,also as a captain,great fielder. Atleast they should have keep him till the CB series end.throwing him away in a middle of a series is a harsh decision from the selecters.

Posted by soorajiyer on (February 21, 2012, 2:45 GMT)

My respect for you grows Mr.Ricky. Well done for a fabulous career. But yes, please keep playing the test cricket mate. All the best..

Posted by RohanMarkJay on (February 21, 2012, 2:45 GMT)

I remember Ricky Ponting starting his career in the mid 1990s. He has proved that he has been one of the greatest cricketers in the history of the game. It will be a great loss to cricket when he calls stumps on his career. One could say he has matched Lara and Tendulkar in not only having the best batting technique but he has their batting records. Bradman once said that Tendulkar reminded him most like himself. Well had the Don lived longer, he would have revised that statement and said his fellow countryman Ricky Ponting most reminds him of him. Damn what a player Ricky Ponting has been. I am one of them who never fully appreciated his superb performances over the years. Now late in the day I do. Ricky Ponting is one hell of a cricketer and should be remembered for as long as the game is played. I am glad he is continuing with his Test career, so we can continue to see him play and entertain cricket fans for a few more years yet.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 2:43 GMT)

Bye Bye pointing, end of legendary or titan

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 2:41 GMT)

Sad end to arguably one of the greatest ODI batsman.... the scary part is what does Sachin thinks now.... Was the world cup the best time for him? AsA tendulkar follower probably one the few very few mistakes he made within last two decades.... but Ya its about time for him from ODI's

Posted by Mariaj-irdahseS on (February 21, 2012, 2:39 GMT)

Ah!! Mr Ponting! You are an all-time great! Now please do a bit of passing some wisdom to another all-time-great, the one and only Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 2:37 GMT)

Its a shame that he was not given one more game to bow out of the ODIs. You would thnk that a guy like Ponting who has done so much for Oz cricket would get atleast one more game to say good bye in a proper sproting fashion. His press conference felt like that he was breaking second hand the news of being dropped. Nevertheless, he is undoubtedbly one of the best players to have played the game of cricket. A true modern great.

Posted by Yasassri on (February 21, 2012, 2:37 GMT)

Create player. It is nice to see him staying with Cricket.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 2:35 GMT)

Congrats Ricky!!! You are a One of the Great Player in the World!!!!the Contribution made to your Country is Brillient. Ponting always trought about his country rather than thinking about his own career. Finally selectors asked him to lead last two games in CB Series.he did it sakes of the Country. So we really pround about you Ricky.So you got to rretire from the ODI's as a Captain of Australia!!! Thanks a Lot for Your Contribution For the World Cricket!!!!!!!Hat off !!!

Posted by Imz25 on (February 21, 2012, 2:35 GMT)

Thank you, Punter. Thanks for the imperious runs, the amazing run outs you inflicted, the brilliant catches, the scintillating ground fielding and your uncompromising leadership. You are one of the all time ODI greats.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 2:33 GMT)

While Sachin Tendulkar can be considered as successor to Sunil Gavaskar, Ponting is the true successor of Sir Viv Richards. Period.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 2:29 GMT)

Lot to learn for Indian selectors. If Sachin cannot score his 100th century it is his problem and not those of India. I think we need to unceremoniously drop all the three seniors and provide a stern notice to Sehwag. In spinning tracks we do not need any of our stars to win matches for another two years... Australia is still ahead of us in teaching one or two lessons... just beyond winning alone....

Posted by bhagat94 on (February 21, 2012, 2:28 GMT)

Adios, punter from this point here ends one of the brightest cricketing career world has seen and the last man of the greatest aussie team.salute to him

Posted by Dashgar on (February 21, 2012, 2:26 GMT)

Retiring or being dropped isn't a big deal for a guy like Ponting. He would like to play for Australia till he's 100 years old but he knows that won't happen. He still wants to play and thinks he is good enough but he also knows he needs to perform. I think Ponting has handled this very well even though he is clearly disappointed and I think the selectors have handled it well too. Some fans may see it as a slap in the face to Ricky and may want him to have fairwell games etc but Ricky isn't sentimental like that. He is a battler and a professional and he'll take whatever happens on the chin. Congrats Ricky again on a great career

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 2:22 GMT)

We will Miss you!!! All the best for the rest... And thank you for putting up a brilliant non defiant classic masterfull entertaining show!!! See you around in tests...

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 2:20 GMT)

Oh My God! He Retires from ODI........ The Veteran will ends his Career.. Ricky Ponting will retire from ODI by taking a Conferance.... Three World Cups,30,Champions Trophy, ODI tons and Many memories.. A Best ODI Captain for me.... You gave us 17 years of Pure One Day Cricket,Entertainment and Glory.. You were the tough Competator of Sachin for me.. Take a Bow sir........................................Hats off

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 2:17 GMT)

YOU'LL NEVER BE AS GOOD AS BC LARA.

Posted by AussieGreekCricketLegend on (February 21, 2012, 2:15 GMT)

BEST EVER RICKY!!! WE LOVE YOU MATE!!!!!!

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 2:13 GMT)

A true legend departed in the wrong way. Shame on the Aus cricket board for ending his career in this fashion. The man won Three world cups. Should have given him the time to play a few innings and depart with Style. Goodbye Ricky Pointing and we thank you for entertaining us all these years.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 2:12 GMT)

Its sad such a legend retired without farewell. He has not retired rather he said he is not expected to be picked in team. If last match of CBS btw Aus and Srilanka doesn't have any impact on final two teams playing I would rather love Ponting being given farewell match there

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 2:11 GMT)

Sachin please take a hint from Ponting and retire before the selectors drop you and than just like Ponting you will have to cut a sorry figure. Heads off to great career of Ponting and he will always be remembered as most successful World Cup captain.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 2:11 GMT)

Credit to the Australian selectors for taking this bold step. Why can't the Indian selectors do the same by dropping Tendulkar? He is terribly out of form! The selectors need to prepare for the 2015 World Cup by giving an opportunity to youngsters. Tendulkar's days are clearly over, and there is no chance he is going to play at the next world cup. Then, why is he still in the ODI squad? He can continue playing test cricket. Tendulkar, please retire for the sake of your country!

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 2:08 GMT)

He hasn't retires he expected not to be picked in future ODIs. Its sad he didn't get any farewell which he surely deserves and somewhere had feeling that in this CBS if last SRI VS Aus match didn't had impact on results of final two team playing. He should be given farewell game there

Posted by BigDataIsAHoax on (February 21, 2012, 2:03 GMT)

Wonder if Inverarity was clear in his mind about Australia's ODI plans, why did he let Ponting play these five games? I don't see any logic in the reasoning of dropping Punter. You can't be not clear 2 weeks ago and all of a sudden crystal clear. It's just contradictory. Anyway, good that Punter can now just focus on test matches.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 2:01 GMT)

They could have given him a few more chance its not like they are out of the series. Im sure he would have got runs in the next game. It would be funny if he goes and scores a 100 for tassie now.

Posted by Abhiv on (February 21, 2012, 1:59 GMT)

its sad to see ponting forced to retire in such such a shameful way. atleast he should have given last chance to play at his home ground hobart and farewelled . good luck in the days to come.

Posted by redneck on (February 21, 2012, 1:56 GMT)

following in steve waugh footsteps retiering form ODIs but still playing tests. not real happy about it as ponting is still in our best XI as far as im concerned. forrest should not be playing ODI's he bats too slow, even his domestic stats show this. he was picked on first class cricket form not list a cricket!!! would love pointing to go out and make a big score for tassie in the final, show the selectors what they have done! really hope hes still around for the ashes as there is no better aussie to watch in the middle even the crowd cheer louder when its runs hit off pontings bat!

Posted by Towelie on (February 21, 2012, 1:55 GMT)

This is Great News for Australia and World Cricket. Hope he gets pushed out of Test team soon as well. Well Done CA, BCCI should learn from you!!!

Posted by SaumendraBaj on (February 21, 2012, 1:53 GMT)

.. Slowly but steadily, cricket is losing its giants. Feels sad... even though our good-fortune holds a bit longer still.. since he'd still be around for Test Cricket. Numbers aside, he must rank higher than Sachin and Kallis, no matter how grudging an admission such as this might be, coming from an Indian. Fact is, hard-ball Test Cricket must treasure men like Ponting and Kallis - stardom counts for zilch.

So who do we have left.. Dravid, Mahela, Kallis, Sachin, Laxman, Chandrapaul. Sad to see that the roll runs so short.

Ponting would be deeply missed.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 1:53 GMT)

Fell so sorry about you pal. You may have done better if you were only left for this series. Bad selectors. they think of future. But lose the past. Future will need big men to fill those emptied boots. But this Aussies outfit don't have that caliber players as I think.Those rookies will give Aussies the worst period. Mark my word.

Posted by Gordo85 on (February 21, 2012, 1:51 GMT)

Good call Ricky. Just be careful when you are only playing one form of Cricket and your form stuffs up in that format of Cricket again then you may get the idea to retire from Test Cricket also but I am confident you will be ok in Tests for a little while.

Posted by kensohatter on (February 21, 2012, 1:50 GMT)

Its this kind of ruthless yet justified selection that keeps Australia never far away from the no.1 mantle and creates a sense of honour in the national side. Performances are the ONLY currency in the Australian team and everyone will live and die by that sword. It ensures everyone stays focussed everyone gives 100% because all involved know that lack of performance will not be tolerated. India need to learn this lesson carrying around 4 guys in the twilight of their careers in crazy and will ultimately lead to a devaluing of the national cap not to mention an extended run like we are seeing now where they cant win a test match. As for Ricky Ponting thanks for all the ODI memories given his exceptional series against India im sure he will carry on in tests but today its worth remembering that he was the most highly decorated (3 winning world cups... 2 as capt) ODI of ALL TIME.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 1:48 GMT)

Will miss The hooks and the pulls

Posted by __PK on (February 21, 2012, 1:45 GMT)

How would you like to be the Mowbray No 4 batsman who was looking forward to a few good knocks in what remains of the season and now has to fight Punter for his spot.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 1:44 GMT)

i never seen a champion batsman like ponting, this guy delivers when it matters, he may not have the highest runs but he had won things than anyone else, a true champ , salute for you pontin

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 1:44 GMT)

Australia's best One day batsmen over the past 20 years has to be Michael Bevan. A wide range of strokes...Knowing the right time to get a boundary or a 6. A quick runner between the wickets who also scored the runs when Australia were under pressure to help chase down a total or make a defendable total.

Posted by Nounboy on (February 21, 2012, 1:43 GMT)

A sensible decision. Don't understand the tone of some of these commments - "he doesn't deserve to be treated like this", etc. Treated like what? Treated like a batsman who's not scoring any runs? It seems logical to me that Ponting should limit himself to Tests. One of the all time great Australian batsman (I don't think he was a great captain, though).

Posted by kunderanengineer on (February 21, 2012, 1:42 GMT)

Dear Punter, hang in there and play tests at least until 2013.You should have no problem with Indian bowling or from the Windies. Your real test will come from the proteas in the fall of 2012 and the England in the summer of 2013. Please make your decision after those 2 series. I sure hope the Aussie selectors recognize your legacy and let you go out on your own terms which is the least they can do.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 1:37 GMT)

A three-time World Cup winner who captained Australia to two of those titles...

Ricky ponting retired from ODI cricket.... A great player... A three-time World Cup winner who captained Australia to two of those titles.......( A great fielder..captain...batsman...) Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave ODIs 375 365 39 13704 164 42.03

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 1:35 GMT)

Two lessons from the statement of the great man Ponting, which has relevance for Indian cricketers. 1. "It is...hard to come here and say that I am retiring, when I have already been left out of the side". A few of our greats may want to note it 2. To keep his fitness and form to play test cricket, even after 'retiring' from ODIs, he says he will continue to play not only club cricket, but also for Tasmania.Two great Indian players and their state teams immediately comes to my mind. Dravid -Karnataka. And, Laxman - Hyderabad. How many Ranjis these two had played after they are being picked only for test matches? How much the young players from Karnataka and Hyderabad would have benefited playing along with these two great role models, during a couple of transitional seasons!

Posted by susie2112 on (February 21, 2012, 1:32 GMT)

Congratulations to Ricky Ponting on his one day career. It is a shame to see this odi career end. Also I believe he should be largely congratulated on the dignity he showed in the press conference. He did not try to blame anyone else by taking the responsibility of his poor form this odi series as giving the selectors the opportunity to drop him. He answered all questioned asked honestly and with great decorum. Well done Ricky. We'll see you in the next test, if not when playing for Tasmania.

Posted by crikey on (February 21, 2012, 1:32 GMT)

Who's John Inverarity? As an older player you cannot afford a lean spell.Hayden, Gilchrist, Waugh. Big contributions in the not so distant past don't count for anything. As soon as the media and whingers get a hold of you the pressure becomes even worse than the opposition bowlers. Who's next to be put under this kind of scrutiny? Anyway, thanks for the memories punter,all the best for the rest of your career.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 1:28 GMT)

A true legend of ODIs...what is not reflected in his average and strike rate (though 40+ avg is not too shabby) is the fact that with him the Aussie middle order always looked solid and he always had that "in your face" attitude for the opposition, always looking to dominate despite match conditions. I don't think the Aussie batting order will look as menacing without Punter... they may continue to produce good batsmen but the great era of dominance where opposition feared the batsmen (Gilly, Hayden, Symmo and Ponting) is over...even as a an avid fan of the Indian team (and Sachin of course!) I always felt the chills while Ricky was on the crease...and never felt the game was over while he was out there...will miss you Ricky and your fighting spirit...time to hang the shoes....ciao..

Posted by SnowSnake on (February 21, 2012, 1:22 GMT)

I cannot sympathize with Ponting. He was given enough hints to retire where he was asked to step down from his captain position, pushed down the batting order etc. He just doesn't get it. I am afraid that one day he will wake and find himself fired from his test career as well. He does not appear to be thinking of Australia anymore, it is all about him. Australia has given him a lot of respect and time and now he appears to be asking too much.

Posted by mahesh8811 on (February 21, 2012, 1:22 GMT)

good luck pointing for your test career. its all up to u to prove yourself. we wil miss u ODI.

Posted by Markus971 on (February 21, 2012, 1:19 GMT)

The best fieldsman in ODI cricket I've seen! yes better than M.Waugh, A.Symonds, J.Rhodes etc... probably a good combination of those 3!

Posted by dunger.bob on (February 21, 2012, 1:18 GMT)

I'm all choked up. .. can hardly type.. all I can say is: Thanks Ricky, you were more than fantastic. I will never forget your innings in the 2003 World Cup Final for as long as I live. .. and you are going out like the true champion you are. .. no histrionics or hissy fits. Just cop it square on the jaw and get on with things. Just like you always have throughout your glittering, stellar career. Once again, thanks.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 1:16 GMT)

The selectors should have asked Ponting to retire from ODI cricket, its a sad end to a great Carrier.....Same will happen to the Indian Veterans as well if the don't take their decision at the right time.... Best from Murali, retired at the right time.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 1:12 GMT)

Definitely greatest one day Australian Player ever.. one among legends in world cricket. Long live ponting

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 1:08 GMT)

The way nowadays legends are treated should be condemned seriously..He has to be given farewell and allow him to play through out this series and give him a farewell...I am a hardcore hater of punter..but still i don't like the way he is being treated.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 1:07 GMT)

That's all I want to hear (you are still staying on for the longer form of the game). You have the time to go work out some kinks and lets hope you carry over the form from you last few test matches. Don't worry about the ODI's just put that behind and move forward. I like the fact that you acknowledge that you know your international career is coming to an end but you still have that Aussie Fight in you an hopefully be a key factor in bringing back the ashes. I hope during your shield games you dominate and prepare yourself for the West Indies Tour. I am not ready to see you go yet. Wishing you the all the best Ricky. Keep fighting the good fight.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 1:05 GMT)

LOVE YOU PUNTER>>> YOU R A TRUE LEGEND ...

Posted by PaddyRasta on (February 21, 2012, 1:04 GMT)

This is great news for the Aussies but bad news for my Windies team. Punter still has very much to offer the Test team and he will continue in a mentoring role.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 1:01 GMT)

You Don't Want to Retire Now Punter!! You are a True Legend!!Great Captain!! Really you gave the Real Worth for Australian Cricket!! Really We Miss you..

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 1:01 GMT)

Ricky ponting show the true champion that he is! Even after being told he won't be playing odi's for Australia he is still determined to do what he can to help the national side as well as tassie an mowbray. Well done on a great odi career punter!

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 1:00 GMT)

A very big lesson for Indian Selectors. I think the handling of the situation is apt. You cannot continue to bask in the glory of an individual's better days. A very good decision by the selectors and hats off to them for calling it at the right time rather than waiting for the end of the series. As for Ricky, thanks a million for all the entertainment you have provided. You sure are and will always remain a legend, not only for the Australian Cricket Fans, but to everyone in the world. Hats off to your splendid batting performance and your stewardship under which 2 World Cups have been Won. Time for Indian Selectors to select a team in the best interest of the future and not to be bogged down by the weight and baggage of the legends.

Posted by coldcoffee123 on (February 21, 2012, 0:59 GMT)

The last of the legends falls. Adieu Ricky. However, given the fact that Aus is still winning matches and currently leading the CW series, I think the selectors should have allowed Ricky to play through this series and then retire. This gives a fair chance to the fans to come an see and know that "this" is the final match of their beloved hero. After all, he is Ricky Ponting - even better than Sachin Tendulkar, perhaps. With Ricky gone, Australian cricket has finally entered into generation next. Not sure who to relate to in this new Aus team anymore.

Posted by ganig on (February 21, 2012, 0:59 GMT)

You have left your indelible mark,

We will miss your professional expertise and your leadership.

Trust what you know,

Have faith where you go.

Posted by Manush on (February 21, 2012, 0:57 GMT)

Asian Cricket Boards, especially, ICC should learn from Australia SA and England to run the show effectively.The latest in India is a very poor advertisement for ICC !! Though it makes a sad reading, Ponting could have been allowed to announce his retirement from ODI before the Board making such an announcement, for all that he contributed to Australian Cricket.l

Posted by Sinhaya on (February 21, 2012, 0:55 GMT)

Good decision Ponting! Yes you will get a long break from tests after the tour of West Indies until you all host South Africa in November this year.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 0:52 GMT)

thy r out of their mind............

Posted by Mervo on (February 21, 2012, 0:50 GMT)

Great news! We can't afford to lose such a valuable test player. One of the greats.

Posted by Meety on (February 21, 2012, 0:49 GMT)

Good news. Man I bet club sign ons for Mowbray will go thru the roof next season!!!!!!!

Posted by playitstraight on (February 21, 2012, 0:49 GMT)

Good decision by Ponting, it was about time that he retired. Although he could've played until the end of the CB series, I think he made the right decision so that the youngsters can be groomed such as Forrest, Marsh, Wade, etc. He will forever be remembered as one of the greatest cricketers to have played the game.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 0:47 GMT)

why not sachin,it will be peaceful for young Indian team

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 0:46 GMT)

Good on him. A fine player and a fine opponent. As a Pom, I obviously hope he gets nothing in the next Ashes series but prior that I hope he gets stacks of runs against the Windies and continues the form he showed against India.

Posted by AtherCA on (February 21, 2012, 0:45 GMT)

Good decision, but very late, should have announced soon after world cup. Anyways highly respectable player all over the world. Captained Australia and won two World Cups. Second highest run getter.His best ODI innings for me was the thunderous century against India in the 2003 World Cup final. Won the match off his own bat..Ricky Ponting is widely regarded as the best Oz batsman after Don Bradman Salute to you. .....

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 0:44 GMT)

Punter is so shameless. He is waiting now to be kicked from test team. Real shameless, arrogant person

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 0:43 GMT)

I don't think he dominates test cricket as well. He just made runs against pathetic Indian bowler attack and in his own backyard where he scored probably all his runs. The truth is he should have retired from all formats of cricket after series against India just like perhaps Sachin should have done after the WC.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 0:43 GMT)

Well good for you I guess, Punter. You did well in the last series, albeit against a very weak Indian side. It would be great to see you playing for Tasmania for a while, too.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 0:42 GMT)

Time and Tide doesn't wait for even greats....You have been a great cricketer Ricky....sad that you had to leave the ODI arena in such a manner...

Posted by LAKingsFan on (February 21, 2012, 0:39 GMT)

Great captain and a great player. He played to win, never for records like someone else. You'll be remembered for your great batting display around the world.

Posted by NikhilNair on (February 21, 2012, 0:38 GMT)

What a pity that such a legend could not get a deserving farewell... we will miss you in the ODI arena Ponting. How much ever I envied him as an Indian for overshadowing even Sachin during this prime... I have immense respect for Ponting. Hopefully he will bring glory for his team and nation in the Test arena. Good luck Ponting :)

Posted by LAKingsFan on (February 21, 2012, 0:37 GMT)

Hi Punter, it's a wise decision to prolong your test career. You've been a great entertainer in ODIs, no doubt about it. You're one of the selfless cricketers who played the game. It's good to see you that you're not here for records. That sends a strong message to the people who wants to stick it on for records. I wish you a great personal life. Can't wait to see you in action at test level.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 0:36 GMT)

Congratulations to Ricky on a wonderful One-day career! Surely he would be remembered as one of the greatest players.. Wish him all the best..

Posted by vj3478 on (February 21, 2012, 0:35 GMT)

man, selectors shud have spoken to Ponting abt his sacking and let him finish the current series.. this is very unfair treatment to one of the modern greats!

Posted by MinusZero on (February 21, 2012, 0:32 GMT)

I always felt that Ponting should have retired from all forms of cricket after a successful test series. However, he was belligerant and wanted to play on rather than step aside. I am glad the selectors finally had the guts to make a decision to pick players in form and drop those who aren't. Good to see that the captains influence that Ponting had on selection doesnt seem to continue. Maybe now the best players can be picked, not the captains mates.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 0:31 GMT)

Salute Ricky ! Job well Done :D. The finest cricketer Australia had ever produced.

Posted by Willow25 on (February 21, 2012, 0:30 GMT)

Well done Punter. I am disappointed that I won't see you in the ODI's but excited that you will play on in tests and help bring home the ashes back to back next year.

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 0:29 GMT)

Good on ya Punter, I think this is the right decision for him. It'll give him a chance to concentrate on tests where he's still as good as anyone in the world. Watch out Tendulkar, I reckon Punter's gonna give you a run for your money. Shame on Cricket Australia for not giving their best batsman of the modern era a chance to say goodbye on his own terms. Sad to see him go this way without a proper chance to say goodbye or get an adoring standing ovation from his fans at his last match. A true great and one who will be missed by all cricketing fans alike.

Posted by yorkshirematt on (February 21, 2012, 0:25 GMT)

Good luck to him for the remainder of his test career. I always have more respect for players who, given a choice, give up on one day stuff and carry on in test cricket. He's still not getting the Ashes back though!

Posted by donda on (February 21, 2012, 0:24 GMT)

Good to see him playing in test after showing great form against india. Australia needs Ponting in the middle order because team is still young and aussies are not getting starts from these youngsters at all especially from Khawaja and Marsh.

I hope to see ponting ends his test career playing his last ashes in england and wining. Great player , great fielder, great team player and great sportsman.

Greatest australian cricketer record wise and 2nd to Bradman if people really want no debate .

Posted by   on (February 21, 2012, 0:20 GMT)

very sad to know such an end to a legend's ODI career. He doen't deserve to be treated like this. Atleast give him a farewell match so that people may flock to the stadiums to see this great batsman one last time in ODI's. Tendulkar should learn something from him and gracefully retire from the ODI's.

Brydon CoverdaleClose
Brydon Coverdale Assistant Editor Possibly the only person to win a headline-writing award for a title with the word "heifers" in it, Brydon decided agricultural journalism wasn't for him when he took up his position with ESPNcricinfo in Melbourne. His cricketing career peaked with an unbeaten 85 in the seconds for a small team in rural Victoria on a day when they could not scrounge up 11 players and Brydon, tragically, ran out of partners to help him reach his century. He is also a compulsive TV game-show contestant and has appeared on half a dozen shows in Australia.
Country Fixtures Country Results