Australia news July 2, 2012

Captain Botha takes the reins at South Australia

Johan Botha has vowed that he will not stand in the way of South Australia's young spinners this summer despite being a guaranteed starter as the state's new captain for the next two years. Botha began pre-season training on Monday in Adelaide, where he will be based for three weeks before he flies out to prepare for South Africa's tour of England and the ICC World Twenty20.

The trips will be Botha's last for his country before he focuses his attention solely on the Redbacks, who won the Ryobi Cup last summer but did not win a match in the Sheffield Shield. The state's decision to bring in Botha to replace Michael Klinger as captain, which was announced in March, was a surprise and came after he impressed the state coach Darren Berry during his stint with the Adelaide Strikers in the Big Bash League.

Botha has not played first-class cricket since December 2010 but Berry said his solid record with both bat and ball was secondary to his fiercely competitive nature and international experience in the decision to hand him the captaincy. Botha said he was conscious that his role in the side would need to vary depending on who else was available in any given match.

"If Nathan Lyon is there he will be the No.1 spinner. If there's anyone else coming through, say if Cullen Bailey comes through and bowls well again, then he'll be the No.1 spinner," Botha told ESPNcricinfo on Monday. "I'll be there for the support role and to help where I can. I can bat in the top six, so that helps the balance of the team. If there are guys who are bowling better than me then definitely they will be the No.1 spinner."

Botha's versatility - he averages 34.60 with the bat and 31.75 with the ball in first-class cricket - will make him a handy addition for the Redbacks, whose players are largely familiar with him through his work with the Strikers last season. However, he conceded that stepping straight in as captain in the Shield and Ryobi Cup sides would be a very different scenario.

"It is a challenge. But sometimes you just have to get out of your comfort zone," Botha said. "I'm going to lean big time on Maxy Klinger and Chuck [Berry] and all the experienced players to help me through, especially the first few months and the first season. I'm not just going to take it on my own to run the show my way. I'm definitely going to lean on the other guys.

"[My role is] just to give the players the freedom to express themselves. I think it's important to let the players express themselves and tell them that it's fine if you fail every now and then. On certain days one or two guys are going to perform and it's going to be their day and some days it's not going to be your day. It's important just to let the players relax and understand that."

Botha will be in charge of a side boasting several men pushing for international honours, with Daniel Christian and Callum Ferguson expected to sign new contracts within the coming days. Phillip Hughes, who has joined the state from New South Wales, is another man who will remain in the minds of the Australia selectors but Botha said it was important Hughes focused himself solely on the task at hand.

"He's an exciting player and he's the type of player who needs a bit of freedom to go out there and express himself," Botha said. "I think he puts a lot of pressure on himself. I'm sure myself and Chuck will have to relax him and tell him to just get out there and play, and not to worry about the Australian squad at the moment. Those things will take care of themselves.

"He's got a different technique but he gets the job done. I'm always happy with that. I don't necessarily want pretty looking guys in my team, I want guys who can get the results. He's going to fit right in. We're just going to let him go out there and perform for us."

Hughes and Botha will be the state's two key imports this summer as they aim to find a way to succeed in the longer format, although Botha may miss the start of the Shield season if South Africa progress to the World T20 finals. Although Botha, 30, was expected to remain an important T20 player for South Africa, he said the national coach Gary Kirsten had been understanding of his decision to move to Adelaide.

"It is a big decision but the last six months I've been training with the national side and sitting out of most of the games, especially in one-day cricket," Botha said. "I spoke to Gary and he said I'll be in the T20s but he can't guarantee my spot in one-day cricket. That made my decision a little bit easier.

"I don't know what's going to happen in the future. Myself and my family, we might never go back or we might go back after two years. It's hard to say. You never know what's going to happen in the future."

Brydon Coverdale is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo. He tweets here

• tasliskr on July 5, 2012, 7:18 GMT

no doubt on his captaincy skills..... do a good job here to.. botha

• Shongololo on July 2, 2012, 23:42 GMT

I'm pretty sure South Australians will be pleasantly surprised with Johan Botha, as he's a very useful cricketer who has had a raw deal from South Africa. He has played just a handful of Tests but offers a lot more than the likes of Test regular Paul Harris; he is now playing second fiddle to a very ordinary cricketer and beneficiary of quotas, Robin Peterson. It's an outrage, as Jo Botha is streets ahead of both these players.

Good luck in Adelaide, Johan.

and

• Meety on July 2, 2012, 23:13 GMT

Wish Botha & the Sth Ozzys all the best, but honestly, if Botha doesn't want to get in the way of young spinners, & given he is not really of a specialist batsmen standard in FC cricket, he may just be a Brearly! Anyways Lyon probably will only play a few matches at the start of the season, but I'd really am hoping that Bailey kicks on.

• Chris_P on July 2, 2012, 23:04 GMT

@bestbuddy. FYI, Rules DO allow you to play for another country but the waiting period has been increased. That said, it is a moot point as Botha would never come into any calculations. Apart form the fact he would be in in his late 30's by the time he qualifies, he would not represent good value. However that said, as a fc cricketer & leader, he is right up there and I wish him all the best in his venture with the Redbacks. I guess he can keep his "SA" initials too!

• Deepakrio278 on July 2, 2012, 14:01 GMT

Wherever you go Botha,all the best for ur success..You will do well to fulfill their expectations..

• Mary_786 on July 2, 2012, 13:55 GMT

I don't think Hughes will remain in the eyes of the Aussie selectors, after 2 failures against the English, I don't think he will be getting a 3rd chance.

• threeslipsandagully on July 2, 2012, 12:57 GMT

@RandyOZ - At least England's South Africans are actually half decent. I'm not sure there are rules preventing someone from playing for more than one full ICC member; Saqlain Mushtaq qualified to play for England a few years ago, and Luke Ronchi's just moved back to New Zealand with the aim of qualifying to play for them.

• on July 2, 2012, 10:07 GMT

sa's loss is south australia's (sa)gain !! botha is a very economical bowler and a brilliant fielder and a decent batsman and has a gud leadership qualities !!

what's south africa 's obsession with robin pietersen ?? any day botha and van der merwe are wayy wayy better spinners than robin pietersen but they pick robin !! just like australian management picking lyon ahead of hauritz and aaron o brien and steeve o keefe all 3 are wayy wayy better than lyon !!

selections like these waste the careers of some deserving cricketers !!

• Masud_BITK on July 2, 2012, 9:37 GMT

I have also been impressed by Botha. I would have been appointed him T20 and ODI captain for SA in place of anyone else. He is a terrific allrounder. To develop a team, only captain does not make all. You need to go from selection to good captaincy.

• on July 2, 2012, 9:23 GMT

Actually @bestbuddy Kepler Wessells, Luke Ronchi (possibly).

• tasliskr on July 5, 2012, 7:18 GMT

no doubt on his captaincy skills..... do a good job here to.. botha

• Shongololo on July 2, 2012, 23:42 GMT

Good luck in Adelaide, Johan.

and

• Meety on July 2, 2012, 23:13 GMT

• Chris_P on July 2, 2012, 23:04 GMT

• Deepakrio278 on July 2, 2012, 14:01 GMT

• Mary_786 on July 2, 2012, 13:55 GMT

• threeslipsandagully on July 2, 2012, 12:57 GMT

• on July 2, 2012, 10:07 GMT

selections like these waste the careers of some deserving cricketers !!

• Masud_BITK on July 2, 2012, 9:37 GMT

• on July 2, 2012, 9:23 GMT

Actually @bestbuddy Kepler Wessells, Luke Ronchi (possibly).

• RandyOZ on July 2, 2012, 9:09 GMT

Oh no, we are turning into England!!

• bestbuddy on July 2, 2012, 8:29 GMT

@Mayan820, he cannot ever play for Aus; rules prevent a player from appearing for more than one full ICC member.

• SirBobJones on July 2, 2012, 7:48 GMT

Interesting to see how this goes. My initial reaction was a negative one but there could be some pluses to this decision for the SACAs.

• Mayan820 on July 2, 2012, 7:24 GMT

Oh South Africa pray so long that you won't lose this player for good to Australia. If he ever qualifies to play for Australia they will fall over themselves to get him in their squad and South Africa will regret it for sure!

• No featured comments at the moment.

• Mayan820 on July 2, 2012, 7:24 GMT

• SirBobJones on July 2, 2012, 7:48 GMT

• bestbuddy on July 2, 2012, 8:29 GMT

• RandyOZ on July 2, 2012, 9:09 GMT

Oh no, we are turning into England!!

• on July 2, 2012, 9:23 GMT

Actually @bestbuddy Kepler Wessells, Luke Ronchi (possibly).

• Masud_BITK on July 2, 2012, 9:37 GMT

• on July 2, 2012, 10:07 GMT

selections like these waste the careers of some deserving cricketers !!

• threeslipsandagully on July 2, 2012, 12:57 GMT