Australia news July 25, 2012

Waqar Younis misses out on Australia job

Waqar Younis is no longer in contention to become Australia's new bowling coach after being turned down this week following an interview. Cricket Australia is searching for a replacement for Craig McDermott, who vacated the position in May, and Waqar was keen to take on the position and work with Australia's emerging crop of fast bowlers.

The Tasmania bowling coach Ali de Winter is another contender for the role and was given the chance to audition as the stand-in mentor on the recent one-day tour of England. Interviews for the job did not take place until after the squad returned from that trip and Waqar said on Wednesday he was no longer in the running.

"I was interested but it didn't work out between me and Cricket Australia," Waqar told ESPNcricinfo. "It didn't really work out. They did interview me. I guess what I'm offering and what they're looking at are two different things. I don't know, I haven't really asked them the details but that's how it stands at the moment. It has just been in the last couple of days."

Waqar took 373 Test wickets for Pakistan during a 14-year career and was considered a master exponent of reverse swing, and has since then served as bowling mentor and head coach of Pakistan. Now based in Sydney, Waqar said he remained keen to become involved in coaching in Australia in some capacity.

"I'll probably be looking to get into the system here in Australia and do some work here, maybe with the younger guys," he said. "The whole [Cricket Australia] talk has just finished now so I've probably got to start thinking about different things.

"I'm coaching one of the franchises for the Sri Lankan Premier League and then I've got the Twenty20 World Cup, I'm going to be doing commentary, studio work back in Dubai. I'm pretty full-on in the next few months."

Waqar was the highest-profile candidate to publicly declare his interest in replacing McDermott, who delivered impressive results before quitting after only one year in the job. James Pattinson, one of Australia's most promising young fast bowlers, said during the England tour that he would like a former Test player to be handed the position, but whether that happens remains to be seen.

Brydon Coverdale is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo. He tweets here

• Vishnu27 on July 27, 2012, 22:13 GMT

KiwiRocker: are you trolling? Something about your choice of words & sentence structures that have a very un-New Zealand flavour about them.

• Meety on July 27, 2012, 12:13 GMT

@KiwiRocker - "...Lets discuss Australian fast bowlers? Well, we can not as none of them is fit." - Yes, but at least none of them are in gaol!

• lazysnoopy787 on July 26, 2012, 15:01 GMT

Previously I'd comment how Ali is not suitable for the bowling coach role in an international test team. Given the bowling performance I'd seen in the ODIs I don't think I'm wrong... An bowling coach for an international test team should be someone WITH a successful international career as there's nothing that can replace international match experience. All coaches have similar technical knowledge foundation, but coaches' international match experience allow them to teach players how to handle pressure on-the-field, sledge, read batmens' mind...etc. It's a shame that ACB thinks Waqar Younis is the wrong person for the role... unless of course Glenn McGrath have also applied!

• 777aditya on July 26, 2012, 14:39 GMT

Waqar should become Bangladesh or Sri Lanka bowling coach - cant say India because KAPIL IS BACK!!

• c3vzn on July 26, 2012, 12:34 GMT

Jason Gillespie needs to get out of his job coaching some county side and apply for bowling coach of Australia. He could also teach a few of the tailenders to score a double hundred.

• jezzastyles on July 26, 2012, 11:13 GMT

KiwiRocker - you're right, I can't remember the last test series AUS vs. PAK outside of Australia, it could well be a decade. You make some valid points, but Michael Clarke IS a class batsmen (329*), and a more than decent captain - he'd have to be, to be quietly stringing along several Test wins with such an "ordinary" team. Nathan Lion is a handy spinner at test level with a great deal of potential, and he really hasn't been given much opportunity in the 1-day squad - whom I acknowledge are in real trouble (how they were recently ranked #1 is beyond me). But really - what does a taunt about Thugby Union have to do with a cricket site?? It only serves to highlight your bias.

• KiwiRocker- on July 26, 2012, 9:05 GMT

Meety: Its ODI series. The last test series you are referring to in UAE was a decade ago since Australian have been a bad tourist and have not toured Pakistan for more than a decade. A lot has changed since then....Saeed Ajmal has only played handful matches against Australia(test matches), and yes he did not do anything amazing but those were Australian pitches...Saeed Ajmal has bomboozled English batting line up that is three times better than aged, Australian line up! Apart from Ricky Ponting, I do not see anything special in Australian line up. Hussey is on way out and michael Clarke is looking for IPL contracts! Lets discuss Australian fast bowlers? Well, we can not as none of them is fit. What about spinners? Well Australian has none! May be Australia should finally include talented Pakistani Usman Khawjah in squad or else they are increasingly becoming Pakistan's bogey team,e.g World cup 2011....Bit like Australian rugby team that will lose to All Blacks twice a day every day!

• Meety on July 26, 2012, 8:24 GMT

@KiwiRocker - Ajmal will have to improve considerably on his current average against Oz to be any sort of threat! Hope for your sake, the test series doesn't end up like the last time Oz played Pakistan in a test series in the UAE, those UAE pitches weren't very friendly to Pakistan!

• jezzastyles on July 26, 2012, 7:34 GMT

At the end of the day, the coach (head coach, bowling coach, batting coach, fielding coach, assistant coach, and the list goes on) is NOT the one out there doing the bowling, fielding, or batting. I don't care who the coach is - without the cattle, it is next to impossible to compete against the good sides. Interesting to see that Craig McDermott is seen as the saviour, and Langer as somewhat of a villian. Both players were very good Test players for AUS, with long & decorated careers. But let's face it, McDermott was fortunate - he had the cattle to work with, whereas Langer didn't (and he had veterans like Ponting and Hussey in the side to assist him); good luck to the NEXT batting coach we appoint, he's going to need it. Still, Waqar was a great bowler in his day, back in the early/mid 90's, and he knows all there is to know about pace bowling. Would have been an excellent replacement - seems like CA got it wrong, but we don't have any of the facts/justifications for the decision.

• Alexk400 on July 26, 2012, 7:20 GMT

I want Wasim Akram or Aquib Javed to coach indian young bowlers in NCA.

• No featured comments at the moment.