SA v Qld, Ryobi Cup, Adelaide

Hughes steers Redbacks to big win

ESPNcricinfo staff

October 21, 2012

South Australia 1 for 192 (Hughes 95*, Klinger 72) beat Queensland 189 (Khawaja 57, Burns 51, Richardson 6-48) by 9 wickets

Kane Richardson appeals for a wicket, South Australia v Queensland, Ryobi Cup, Adelaide, October 21, 2012
Kane Richardson took 6 for 48 © Getty Images

Phillip Hughes continued to show the improvements he has made in his time out of the national setup, steering South Australia to a hefty nine-wicket win over Queensland at Adelaide Oval. After Kane Richardson picked up six wickets to restrict the Bulls to 189, Hughes guided the chase with ease and finished unbeaten on 95 when the winning runs came in the 37th over, handing the Redbacks a valuable bonus point.

Hughes and Michael Klinger put on 138 for the opening wicket and quickly ended any hopes Queensland may have had of defending their small total. Klinger faced more of the strike and brought up his half-century from 60 deliveries, eventually departing for 72 when he was trapped lbw by James Hopes.

But it was Hughes who was most impressive, scoring all around the ground in a confident display as he brought up his fifty from 56 deliveries. He found gaps with his usual cuts and cover-drives, and notably with pulls through and in front of square, which has not always been a strong area for him. Hughes has now started his first season as a South Australia player solidly, adding to the 95 and 83 he made in the first Sheffield Shield game.

He brought up the victory with six over long-on from the spin of Brad Ipson, and it was a fittingly dominant way to end a match that South Australia owned completely. The result had been set up earlier in the day by Richardson, who was named Man of the Match for his 6 for 48, the equal third-best one-day bowling figures by a South Australia player.

Things weren't going too badly for the Bulls early as the opener Usman Khawaja brought up a confident half-century. But having pulled Richardson for six in the 24th over, Khawaja tried to repeat the stroke a few balls later and managed only to sky a catch to deep midwicket, where he was caught for 57 from 69 balls.

It was just what the Bulls didn't need, for none of the rest of their batsmen found it easy to get in. Richardson caused all kinds of havoc in his next over, picking up three wickets as Peter Forrest was hurried by a bouncer and fended a catch to fine leg, Chris Lynn was caught and bowled off a leading edge and Nathan Reardon edged behind from a ball that moved away.

Queensland were wobbling badly at 5 for 103, and it took some patience from Joe Burns to help steady things. Burns had taken 16 balls to get off the mark, with a slog-swept six off Johan Botha, but after that he found scoring difficult and scratched out 51 from 83 balls, while he had support from Ipson, who made 33 batting at No.9. But Richardson's strikes had been terminal for Queensland, who were bowled out for 189 in the 49th over.

Posted by Meety on (October 23, 2012, 23:25 GMT)

@ Rahul_Ashok on (October 23 2012, 10:48 AM GMT) - mate whilst it is OK to have a different POV to hyclass, & you are right that he tends to be repititive, he is now entirely incorrect in the things he says. His stats are usually spot on - although at times I think he uses them incorrectly & his talk of flaws in technique have been summarised on articles on this site. That all said, I too think like @Macca_mat - in that I am expecting Khawaja to carve out a good season this summer & push for the next overseas tours! @Macca_mat on (October 23 2012, 10:47 AM GMT) - I don't like discounting runs because they are scored against a certain team (i.e Sth Oz). I do sometimes exclude Bangladesh & Zimbabwe from batting & bowling stats when talking Test matches, even though the reality is IF scoring runs against Sth Oz was that easy - everyone should have great stats. @zenboomerang - nice try - but you are the one that goes off on strange vectors "..clarke's mates.." - hmm try & back that up!

Posted by Sunil_Batra on (October 23, 2012, 10:48 GMT)

@ zenboomerang and @Macca_mat I think you guys have summarised why Hyclass is getting all the negative responses. I hope he has something new to add to the debate rather then writing the same incorrect information on Khawaja over and over again.

Posted by Mary_786 on (October 23, 2012, 10:47 GMT)

@zenboomerang well said bud, we are all getting tired of Hyclass's same responses on Khawaja too, I am happy for people to put forward informed views but not the same responses over and over again. @Meety i take your point mate, a century against this SA attack will be good as George is playing as well but you will see through the season that Khawaja will score against all attacks.

Posted by zenboomerang on (October 23, 2012, 10:32 GMT)

@Macca_mat... From memory it was the highest run chase at the Wanderers (310 I think) & 4th highest is SA ever - so a very impressive victory & a good tough Test match... I think everyone is sick & tired of the broken record hyclass - his rare replies to me are completely opposite to my questions, disjointed, illogical & going off on strange vectors... I'd have Ussie before Forrest any day in ODI's & Tests, seems Ussie doesn't get Clarkes approval as he's not a mate... You also got replied to by the biggest hyclass fan... Says it all really... lol...

Posted by Meety on (October 23, 2012, 6:07 GMT)

@Dashgar - no Richardson or Putland for the Shield so what do I know?

Posted by Meety on (October 23, 2012, 0:12 GMT)

@Macca_mat on (October 22 2012, 12:07 PM GMT) - small point of order, Oz's run chase v Saffas was around 300 not 400. @ross_fleming - whilst I have said recently I think that Ussie was treated with less patience as someone like S Marsh, I think his last season cannot be brushed aside as a result of being dropped from the Test team. The climate in the NSW change rooms was not good as half the squad at some time had been dropped from the national team - but at the end of the day a player needs to take reponsibility for his own output. In the case of Ussie - he was responsible for not scoring runs (allowing for the odd jaffa). In regards to this season, I have felt he has done well so far (not great), but as Hyclass has alluded to, he scores well against the Sth Ozzys, so I will be looking for runs against the other Shield attacks. That said a ton a against the Sth Ozzys wouldn't hurt, as I think if they go in with George/Richardson/Putland/Christian/Lyon & Saffa they would be good runs!

Posted by Sunil_Batra on (October 22, 2012, 23:31 GMT)

Talking to Hyclass is like talking to a wall. He has his biases with Khawaja and will continue to state incorrect facts regardless of whether Khawaja gets runs or not. Yesterday Khawaja batted beautifully and you only had to watch him to realise that he has the best technique out of all the young batsman going around. Surely the likes of Mark Waugh, Chappell, Border and Clarke can't be wrong in listing him among the best young batsman in the country. But Hyclass knows more then these experts. Wonder how many first class games Hyclass has played, probably 0.

Posted by Paul_Rampley on (October 22, 2012, 23:28 GMT)

@Hyclass you seem to comment on Khawaja even when the articles are not about him, what's up with that. Did Khawaja ignore your at a game during a signature session, something must have happened for you to continue your continuous attacks on him. @Macca_Mat no use trying to convince Hyclass, best thing to do is ignore his comments as he must know more then Border, Taylor, Clarke and other champion cricketers. And Hyclass your scores that you listed for List A were incorrect. Khawaja top scored in his last 2 games for Derbyshire which got them to division 1. He was also the top scorer on day 1 against SA when all other good batsman including Burns and Forrest failed. He also top scored against South Africa earlier in the year and against Aus A in the game for Derbyshire. He scores in tough conditions and you need to remove your bias and give credit where its due.

Posted by KhanMitch on (October 22, 2012, 12:38 GMT)

@Macca well said champ, Hyclass needs to get his facts correct. Khawaja is a champion batsman and Hyclass's incorrect critisms are getting old. He is a great ambassador and representative for Sub continent players around Australia. Hyclass you need to stop repeating your incorrect observations on the trigger movements on Khawaja, he is a fantastic player and has one of the best techniques of all the younger players going around as he hasn't played alot of 20 20 cricket. North and him have nothing in common. The reason he didn't get runs last year(hence his average got in the mid 40s) was because he was unfairly dropped after top scoring against South Africa in their home territory.Unlike all other debutants Khawaja barely got a chance to prove himself, he had at best 2 games in a row to prove himself where his counterparts got 2 series or more to do the same.

Posted by Mary_786 on (October 22, 2012, 12:07 GMT)

@hyclass you are back as usual with your unfair critisms of Khawaja. This is getting too predicatable mate, let me correct you. Khawaja's average dropped once he was unfairly dropped from the Aussie side when only 1 game before being dropped he was run out in Gabba when on 40 and scored a game high 80 against South Africa(world's best bowling attack) in a record 400 chase. If he got half the chances some of the other young players got we would have a world class 3. As for backing your incorrect trigger comments no English commentator said that but Border, Taylor, Waugh and Inevarity listed his technique as the best in the country among the young batsman around. As for your comment against him scoring against SA, he had an average of 100 against Qld and has scored centuries against all other states. Seriously mate give it a rest.

Posted by hyclass on (October 22, 2012, 11:20 GMT)

@VivGilchrist...I believe you could be correct re Hughes in the ODI side. He is clearly a far better attacking player than defensive player. It cant have escaped observation, that when he has license to pursue runs with purpose, that he becomes a different player. His over focus on technique, has been to his detriment, borne out by his 1st class average falling almost 17 runs. For the last 3 years, it has been my view, supported by considerable evidence,that when his S/R drops below 50 for any meaningful period, he is in danger of losing his wicket. He most certainly played leg side early in his career, but his peerless offside play is what brought him adulation. When I see scores closer to 200 from him again, I will believe that I am looking at an improved player. He has 4 such scores, all gathered in the old style. With respect to Forrest, I suggested when he was selected that his career was too brief and record to modest-that he was lucky to play for his state.That moment looks near

Posted by hyclass on (October 22, 2012, 11:10 GMT)

I could well have been mistaken about Khawaja 18 months ago when I observed the flaw in his preparation that I suggested could lead to the same failings as North.After all, he had just won Shield Player of the Year. His 1st class ave has dropped 10 runs since then.The same failings were observed by Eng commentators.He possesses a Test average of 29 at a S/R of 37 from 6 Tests. His last 4 List A games are: 0,7,4 & 57. Against Vic, a team with a notable attack, he made 3 & 28 in the Shield match & 4 in the List A game. Against Sth Aus who have lost their last 18 Shield matches,the team against whom I suggested he builds his average, he scored 88 dropped on 11 & 20. He was outscored in that match by the numbers 7 and 8. Richardson was the only bowler of reputation in the List A game and got him out. I expect he will make runs v Sth Aus in Adelaide to add to this seasons 139 1st class runs at 34.He usually does.His attitude to fielding & running were criticised by the national selectors.

Posted by Mary_786 on (October 22, 2012, 9:19 GMT)

@PELS is making the point that Hughes needs to score consistent runs in at least 1 full shield season before bringing him in and I think thats what Inevarity said as well. That makes sense otherwise he might fail again and no one wants to see that. Both Hughes and Khawaja looked great yesterday, good signs for Aussie cricket.

Posted by Hammond on (October 22, 2012, 9:03 GMT)

Unfortunately I didn't see the Redback innings, I fell asleep, but watching how difficult the pitch was with Richardson going nuts and then the spinners turning them square (and the quality of the bulls bowling line up) I am very surprised that Hughes and Klinger did it that easy. Hughes must have sorted his squaring up at every opportunity problem. It's a shame I missed it, I actually really love watching the bloke bat.

Posted by Meety on (October 22, 2012, 8:50 GMT)

@Dashgar on (October 22 2012, 03:49 AM GMT) - if Richarrdson is bowling well I'd have him in the side, just depends on whether he is ready to take short format form into FC cricket. Your side is ok, but would you select Botha IF he wasn't the "marquee" signing?? I dunno - I'd like to give the youngster Head more of a go - more of a long term benefit.

Posted by PFEL on (October 22, 2012, 7:49 GMT)

I think if Hughes keeps scoring heavily he should surpass Cowan. Same case with Lyon. Being the "incumbent" is given too much weight IMO, especially when he hasn't performed particular well (Cowan). I'm sure he has improved, anyone would improve in a year, especially at that age, but has he overcome the issues that caused him to fail so regularly? I don't know. I saw him a lot when he first came on to the scene and he scored plenty leg side.

Posted by Ben1989 on (October 22, 2012, 5:02 GMT)

@PFEL, if you actually read into things properly mate, you'll see his wagon wheel is quite good & his ability to score anywhere (mainly leg side, pull shots etc.) has increased dramatically over the past 6 months or so, this was one thing missing from his game, as he generally use to score through gully/point/cover a lot, plus the fact that now all the aussie domestic bowlers know his weakness & have been trying to bowl there consistently which is only going to make it easier for him to fix the little flaw!!

Posted by Meety on (October 22, 2012, 3:49 GMT)

@ PFEL on (October 22 2012, 01:19 AM GMT) - apart from what @VivGilchrist correctly says, where you can draw some sense that there is improvement is when you have people like the head of the NSP & others saying that he has improved. He is scoring runs in areas where he once was unable/willing to. The biggest problem still remains - the propensity to edge to the slips.

Posted by Dashgar on (October 22, 2012, 3:49 GMT)

@Meety, I think Putland is ok, probably their 3rd seamer behind George and Richardson but Sayers and Mennie don't look to have the class at the top grade. They're steady but that's not really enough. Christian can probably do the job Sayers and Mennie do on top of his batting. The trouble of course is fitting in Botha, he may have to bat at 6, he's probably as good as some of their batsmen at the moment. My SA XI: Hughes, Klinger, Cooper, Ferguson, Christian, Botha, Ludeman, Richardson, Lyon, Putland, George. It's not great but it's a whole lot better than the group they had last game.

Posted by VivGilchrist on (October 22, 2012, 3:10 GMT)

@PFEL, and how can he do that unless he's playing international attacks?

Posted by PFEL on (October 22, 2012, 1:19 GMT)

I don't see how this shows Hughes' improvement at all. He dominated domestic cricket years ago. When he makes some big runs against quality international attacks, with regularity, you can say he's shown improvement

Posted by Meety on (October 22, 2012, 0:13 GMT)

@Dashgar on (October 21 2012, 14:59 PM GMT) - you'd think George would be in the Shield side, that being said I thought Putland, Mennie & Sayers (even Lyon) have bowled well without luck. I think Putland is a must & so there may only be enough room for one of George & Richardson.

Posted by VivGilchrist on (October 21, 2012, 23:48 GMT)

Hughes should be in contention to bat no3 in the ODI team for sure. We have to remember he is still only 23. I don't think I'd be ready to chuck him to the wolves v SAf just yet. If he keeps this form up maybe the SL series will be waiting for him.

Posted by Paul_Rampley on (October 21, 2012, 23:27 GMT)

@Jonesy well said buddy, exciting to see both Khawaja and Hughes in form. Watching Khawja's innings yesterday I was also thinking how he could ever be dropped, he is looking great and can' wait for the shield clash tomorrow to see how he goes.

Posted by Dashgar on (October 21, 2012, 14:59 GMT)

SA really need Richardson and George (who got a 5for in futures league) back in their shield side. Batting hasn't been great this season before this game but their bowling has been appalling. Richardson and George are both international candidates and need to play as much as possible.

Posted by jonesy2 on (October 21, 2012, 14:44 GMT)

oh and khawaja was just pure class as usual he never deserved to be a non selection in the test team its only because shaun marsh can back from injury. in my opinion the opener spot to partner warner should be up in the air with hughes, ussie and cowan all a chance to take it depending on how they go in the meantime.

Posted by jonesy2 on (October 21, 2012, 14:41 GMT)

my goodness phil hughes is looking like a whole new player its simply unbelievable! he has suddenly got a wicked pull shot and some amazing stylish leg side drives. he will back at doing this at test level soon enough.

Posted by Sunil_Batra on (October 21, 2012, 12:50 GMT)

@rickyoncanebury well said bud, fantastic batting by Khawja and Hughes and will keep Cowan and other batsman honest. Hyclass will be on here soon putting Khawaja down soon, however I hope he watched the game and appreciated the batting from Khawaja and Hughes.

Posted by Mary_786 on (October 21, 2012, 11:52 GMT)

Khawaja and Hughes looked very good, I think Cowan will be looking across his shoulders. In form Khawaja and Hughes is fantastic to see especially given that our top order has been a bit shaky as of late. I hope Hyclass appreciates both innings rather then repeat the same information on Khawaja's so called trigger technique. If you watched the game today you would have seen a very confident young batsman who batted very well in good bowling conditions.

Posted by KhanMitch on (October 21, 2012, 11:49 GMT)

In form Hughes and Khawja is great for Aus cricket. I went to the game and was very impressed with both batsman. Khawaja looked very good in tougher conditions as the Redbacks send the bulls in to bat and it was a shame he got out after getting his 50. He did all the hard work facing Botha and Lyons very well. Botha was world class today as well.

Posted by nthuq on (October 21, 2012, 11:30 GMT)

Impressive, Hughes is turning into a mighty short form player. I hope he can translate this form into first class matches and get the big scores that will push for his selection. Though, really, we have enough flashy, unstable players in the top order as it is, so I daresay Khawaja's advance is far more important. Looking forward to this pair getting some runs in the upcoming shield game! Then there's Lyon. He seems to be bowling better now, and I hope he backs this up by talking a nice bag of wickets in the next game.

Posted by   on (October 21, 2012, 11:23 GMT)

i think phillip hughes made a good move to sa its best batting pitch in the country. hughes is most talented batsmen not playing test cricket if he can improve his technique he will be a valuable player for australia.

Posted by DylanBrah on (October 21, 2012, 11:20 GMT)

Who knows - Hughes might get another crack at Test Cricket again before ODIs. Australia's next ODI isn't until after the Sri Lanka Test series in January. I've been thinking it would be a good idea to ease him back onto the International stage by playing ODIs. Will be interesting to see what the selectors do.

Posted by lazysnoopy787 on (October 21, 2012, 11:05 GMT)

Hughes can be the new no.3 or 4 for the ODI Team. He's averaging 47+ for LA!

Posted by Meety on (October 21, 2012, 10:55 GMT)

@Barnesy4444 on (October 21 2012, 10:42 AM GMT) - YES - just wonder whether it is a good idea him being in the National set up atm????

Posted by Barnesy4444 on (October 21, 2012, 10:42 GMT)

Hughes dominated the one day and 20/20 county season and now seems in great form here. Just at a time when our Ozzie one day top order batting is struggling............

Posted by Wozza-CY on (October 21, 2012, 10:20 GMT)

Maybe our batsman have had poor seasons due to the depth of the bowling in Oz right now? Kane Richardson 6-48 at Adelaide. I'm desperate for the top scorers in this game (Hughes, Khwaja & Burns) to have hugely productive seasons and put pressure on Oz positions in the next 12-18 months.

Posted by   on (October 21, 2012, 10:19 GMT)

Well played SA good game enjoyed watching it on Fox great signs from Khawaja and Hughes. Khawaja was looking in great touch before he fell trying to up the anit , Hartly was also looking solid befor falling to a great ball from Richardson apart from that queensland didnt really offer to much Burns never really looked convincing out their. Also i felt that both Botha and especialy Lyon bowled better than their figures suggest with Lyon regularly beating the bat. Hughes was really impresive from the start of SA's innings and i think he should deffinatly be in Australias ODI setup this summer

Posted by rickyvoncanterbury on (October 21, 2012, 10:18 GMT)

Good day for the Redbacks, Good day for the fringe players, Khawaja looked good before giving it away, it would be great for Hughes to keep up this form and put pressure on selectors it keeps Cowan (if picked) and Warner honest, Burns stayed composed as all fell around him and played well I thought. good work redbacks they needed that.

Posted by Meety on (October 21, 2012, 10:13 GMT)

Ahh Botha - great choice as captain, clearly!

Posted by maddinson on (October 21, 2012, 10:10 GMT)

Still unable to get the reason why Redbacks not picked Richardson and George in earlier matches.

Country Fixtures Country Results
Scorchers v Strikers at Perth - Dec 22
Strikers won by 1 wicket (with 2 balls remaining)
Hurricanes v Syd Sixers at Hobart
Dec 23, 2014 (19:10 local | 08:10 GMT | 03:10 EST | 02:10 CST | 00:10 PST)
3rd Test: Australia v India at Melbourne
Dec 26-30, 2014 (10:30 local | 23:30 GMT | 18:30 EST | 17:30 CST | 15:30 PST)
Scorchers v Melb Reneg at Perth
Dec 26, 2014 (16:10 local | 08:10 GMT | 03:10 EST | 02:10 CST | 00:10 PST)
Syd Thunder v Syd Sixers at Sydney
Dec 27, 2014 (19:10 local | 08:10 GMT | 03:10 EST | 02:10 CST | 00:10 PST)
Complete fixtures » | Download Fixtures »