Australia news January 22, 2013

Injured Beer in doubt for India tour

shares 12

Michael Beer's hopes of travelling to India as Australia's backup spinner on the upcoming Test tour have taken a blow after he injured his shoulder at training on Monday. Beer has been ruled out of Western Australia's Sheffield Shield match starting in Sydney on Thursday and scans will determine how long he will take to recover.

That will leave the national selectors needing to consider other spin options as support for Nathan Lyon on the Indian trip, which begins with a Test in Chennai in exactly one month, starting on February 22. The squad is likely to be selected within the next ten days. Beer was bullish about his chances of a quick return but Western Australia were less certain.

"Michael Beer injured his AC joint while fielding at training yesterday afternoon," the WACA said in a statement. "Beer will continue to be assessed to determine the extent of the injury and the length of time he is expected to be sidelined."

Initially, reports were emerging from the Western Australia camp that Beer had injured his knee, but it soon became apparent that it was his AC joint, not his ACL joint, that was the problem. "My knees are fine, just a sore shoulder. Will be back in no time," Beer tweeted late on Monday night.

Beer, who last played for Australia during the tour of West Indies last April, will remain a candidate for the India tour if his injury proves not to be severe. But missing the Shield match is unfortunate given his lack of impact in the first half of the Shield summer, when he took eight wickets at an average of 46.37 for the Warriors.

However, his figures are not unusual by the standards of spinners this season due to the seam-friendly pitches early in the summer. So far, the leading wicket taker in the competition is Steve O'Keefe with nine at 34.55, and Beer's injury will encourage O'Keefe and spinners from all states, who know that one big match in this next round of games could put them in contention.

Brydon Coverdale is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo. He tweets here

• POSTED BY Meety on | January 24, 2013, 1:40 GMT

@Liquefierrrr on (January 22 2013, 21:08 PM GMT) - previous comment didn't make it, but at Lunch Day 1 - NSW v WA - SO'K has 2/26 off 12. Love to see the bowling performance that relegates SO"K below next in line!!!!!

• POSTED BY Meety on | January 23, 2013, 12:26 GMT

@ bobagorof on (January 22 2013, 06:05 AM GMT) - LOL! yep, also, if I recall the other slight difference was MacGilla was right handed & Doherty is left handed, oh, & one was a leggie & the other an offie, but other than that they were like twins!!!! @Liquefierrrr on (January 22 2013, 21:08 PM GMT) - with all the "russian roulette" decisions that the Hilditch era made, I could never fathom how a reasonably successful domestic spinner kept getting overlooked. Particularly during the 10/11 Ashes, when he took as many wickets as ALL the specialist Test spinners in ONE tour game & top scored (or nearly with about 60) in one innings! I can sort of understand the current NSP ignoring him so far, as he had a difficult season last year. That has to change now. Until this season, I would say he was definately under bowled (workload half of other spinners, even less than Maxwell). @Beertjie on (January 22 2013, 14:46 PM GMT) - I'd have Wade for Haddin & Bird for Patto.

• POSTED BY Liquefierrrr on | January 22, 2013, 21:08 GMT

@Big_Maxy_Walker and @Meety - great to see O'Keefe's name regularly being cited by Aus fans, I've been a huge fan of him for quite some time (as I'm sure you two, and seemingly the rest of Australian cricket [minus the selectors] are).

Even if we ignore the fact he's younger than Beer, has a batting average of over 30 in Australia's tough domestic competition (Cal Ferguson only has an average of 35) and a better fielder than Beer he's simply the better spinner.

C'MON surely now he gets to play.

• POSTED BY Beertjie on | January 22, 2013, 14:46 GMT

My sentiments entirely, @Liquefierrrr, esp. last sentence! If he isn't selected I want Invers's head! @Big_Maxy_Walker on (January 22 2013, 08:01 AM GMT): Another reason for having O'Keefe is that he will provide much needed depth if the keeper is to bat at #6: Warner, Watson, Hughes, Khawaja, Clarke, Haddin, O'Keefe, Starc, Pattinson, Siddle, Lyon.

• POSTED BY Big_Maxy_Walker on | January 22, 2013, 8:14 GMT

plus okeefe cant be much worse than lyon who can hardly turn the ball and is somehow getting a golden run because he is "improving"(lyon hasnt gotten any better since his first game, still making all the same mistakes. the commentators complain about the same things every time lyon bowls

• POSTED BY Big_Maxy_Walker on | January 22, 2013, 8:01 GMT

this is a blessing in disguise for australia, now steve okeefe is the only choice for the 2nd spinner role. mature player, good fielder and batsmen, most important of all the best spinners record of the last 2 shield seasons and best first class average of all the available replacements. Plus he is a leftie which would complement the right handed lyon well. if the selectors choose anyone else over okeefe i will have confirmation they are crazy

• POSTED BY bobagorof on | January 22, 2013, 6:05 GMT

Gilly4ever: My memory of MacGill are of him actually flighting the ball and getting some turn, neither of which remind me of Doherty!

• POSTED BY Ozcricketwriter on | January 22, 2013, 4:06 GMT

Wow I sincerely hope that Beer wasn't being considered to go. Take Doherty. Doherty reminds me a lot of Stuart MacGill and I am sure would rock in the subcontinent.

• POSTED BY FazleAbed on | January 22, 2013, 3:46 GMT

I will give chance to hauriz and lyon. Beer and SOK are as bad as maxwell

• POSTED BY Mitty2 on | January 22, 2013, 2:57 GMT

Atleast SOK will add to the batting depth, doubt he'll take many but could be a good foil for Lyon, and all nath needs is a keeper who can actually take the chances he's provided. Due to india's history against left arm swing bowlers and also to the fact that a large portion of india's batters are out if form, my money's on starc to take the wickets. Beer's enormous turn will be sorely missed.. Haha

• POSTED BY Meety on | January 24, 2013, 1:40 GMT

• POSTED BY Meety on | January 23, 2013, 12:26 GMT

• POSTED BY Liquefierrrr on | January 22, 2013, 21:08 GMT

C'MON surely now he gets to play.

• POSTED BY Beertjie on | January 22, 2013, 14:46 GMT

• POSTED BY Big_Maxy_Walker on | January 22, 2013, 8:14 GMT

• POSTED BY Big_Maxy_Walker on | January 22, 2013, 8:01 GMT

• POSTED BY bobagorof on | January 22, 2013, 6:05 GMT

• POSTED BY Ozcricketwriter on | January 22, 2013, 4:06 GMT

• POSTED BY FazleAbed on | January 22, 2013, 3:46 GMT

I will give chance to hauriz and lyon. Beer and SOK are as bad as maxwell

• POSTED BY Mitty2 on | January 22, 2013, 2:57 GMT

• POSTED BY Meety on | January 22, 2013, 2:07 GMT

Sorry for Beer that he is injured. On the positive side, the bloke that SHOULD of gotten a Baggy Green before Beer, may have the inside running, which IMO is a good thing. == == == "...spinners from all states, who know that one big match in this next round of games could put them in contention." - that really annoys me. If a bloke has a mediocre record over a period of time, ONE game does not change that fact - that they're mediocre. So at the moment, I would rule out any spinner who does NOT have a career FC bowling average UNDER 40. So the spinners in order of preference (my pref to support Lyon are), 1. O'Keefe, 2. Hauritz (Test ave 34, more a replacement for Lyon), 3. Maxwell, Nobody else atm deserves to tour as a spinner (Beer included). Boyce hasn't kicked on as much as I'd expect & Zampa is too raw, (although for exposure in the nets on tour would be okay). == == == Is interesting that Botha with a reasonable Test ave & good S/R averages 1 wicket per match @ 61 in Shield!

• POSTED BY Liquefierrrr on | January 22, 2013, 1:50 GMT

I hope O'Keefe gets the nod, younger, better, can bat. Also - Beer's attitude throughout the Big Bash was beyond competitive, bordering more upon arrogant. Given his level of ability he should be happy to be on the payroll at all.

He does a job at T20, and as a complete non-Beer fan I must admit he does it extremely well, but he seems to be a mere container at FC level, and in India they have the patience and ability to wear him down.

O'Keefe should be there anyway, but hopefully this gives him that opportunity. He really needs to bowl more though, give himself every chance.

That Beer is, apparently, the next logical inclusion for our India tour speaks clearly about our alarming lack of decent spinners. O'Keefe has great potential however has gone largely unnoticed (last season was fairly mediocre but the one before that was excellent) for reasons unbeknown.

Maxwell surely isn't being considered as a serious option.

Best of luck SOK mate, I'm in your corner.

• No featured comments at the moment.

• POSTED BY Liquefierrrr on | January 22, 2013, 1:50 GMT

Maxwell surely isn't being considered as a serious option.

Best of luck SOK mate, I'm in your corner.

• POSTED BY Meety on | January 22, 2013, 2:07 GMT

• POSTED BY Mitty2 on | January 22, 2013, 2:57 GMT

• POSTED BY FazleAbed on | January 22, 2013, 3:46 GMT

I will give chance to hauriz and lyon. Beer and SOK are as bad as maxwell

• POSTED BY Ozcricketwriter on | January 22, 2013, 4:06 GMT

• POSTED BY bobagorof on | January 22, 2013, 6:05 GMT

• POSTED BY Big_Maxy_Walker on | January 22, 2013, 8:01 GMT

• POSTED BY Big_Maxy_Walker on | January 22, 2013, 8:14 GMT

• POSTED BY Beertjie on | January 22, 2013, 14:46 GMT

• POSTED BY Liquefierrrr on | January 22, 2013, 21:08 GMT

C'MON surely now he gets to play.