Australia news

Australian IPL concerns in focus

Daniel Brettig

January 24, 2013

Mitchell Starc picked up two wickets, Mumbai Indians v Sydney Sixers, Champions League T20, Durban, October 22, 2012
"My focus is playing for Australia and IPL can wait," says Mitchell Starc © Getty Images
Players/Officials: Mitchell Starc | Matthew Wade
Series/Tournaments: Indian Premier League
Teams: Australia

David Warner is in. Michael Clarke and Matthew Wade probably are also. Not only will Shane Watson be there, he will be there bowling. Ryan Harris will be there trying to remind the world that he still can bowl. James Pattinson is headed there too. Michael Hussey will be there to remind Australian cricket of what it is missing. But Mitchell Starc will be a notable absentee.

When Australian cricketers talk of the IPL being a personal choice, they are completely correct. But the number of potential Ashes tourists likely to be spending their six-week designated rest period traipsing up and down India in the months before the Ashes in England suggests that only a few have elected to choose longer-term international goals over the up-front riches to be offered on the subcontinent.

The IPL's place in the calendar is not in dispute, nor is the tournament's desire for Australian cricketers. Nevertheless, no matter who ends up playing at the tournament and who does not, they will be a six-week period in which national selector John Inverarity, team-performance manager Pat Howard and coach Mickey Arthur will be a little more nervous about their players than usual.

The ways in which the tournament may cause harm are a matter for conjecture, but it is worth noting that not once in Australia's three mid-year visits to England following the start of IPL in 2008 - two ODI tours in 2010 and 2012 and the Ashes in 2009 - have the tourists emerged with a winning series. The only success in that time was a 6-1 win in the ODIs that followed the 2009 Tests, though in recent times post-Test series limited overs affairs have invariably run contrary to the dominant script.

Last year's matches were miserable in the extreme, and the effect of playing T20 on the subcontinent before embarking upon weightier contests in conditions that could not be more different is likely to take a toll.

Starc's call to avoid the tournament was reached only after plenty of considered thought. Given his successes for the Sydney Sixers and also Australia's T20 team, 22-year-old Starc was in line for a hefty Indian pay day if he had chosen to submit himself for the auction on February 3 in Chennai. Instead he will use that time to have the rest and pre-season training that Inverarity has recently emphasised. It looks a wise choice.

"I thought about it long and hard and had a chat with a few people and just figured that I've had a pretty big 18 months and I feel that my body just needs that time," Starc said. "The six weeks just to have a couple of weeks off, build myself back up in the gym, get some bowling under the belt and be raring to go if the chance comes to go to England.

"My focus is playing for Australia and IPL can wait. For me playing for Australia has always been the dream and I've got a chance to do that now. We've got a big 12 months coming and personally I'd rather take those six weeks to get myself ready for the winter over in England if I get the chance to go over there and for the summer back home. I made the decision to go over to England last year to work on my game [with Yorkshire], and this year it's the smart option to take the six weeks to recuperate and get my body right and strong to go."

Starc has been held up by Inverarity and Howard as an example of how a young bowler can successfully be pushed up from a first-class apprenticeship into regular national duty via his judicious use on selected tours. They will be grateful that his thinking has extended to skipping the IPL.

"It's all a personal choice, just my decision not to go," Starc said. "I spoke to a few people, my manager, my girlfriend, a few people close to me and that was my decision. I've been going for 18 months straight now, pretty happy with how my body's going, and I've learned a lot in terms of my cricket."

Wade, meanwhile, has recently returned to the Australia team following a post-Test break, and said his journey to the IPL was conditional on two things. First, he must be picked up in the auction, and second, he will have to decide how his body had stood up to the demands of keeping wickets over a rigorous Test series in India in the weeks before the event.

"If I get picked up and my body's 100% I'll play," he said. "If I'm not 100% I'll definitely pull out of the IPL to get myself up for the Australian tours coming up, which will be Champions Trophy or Ashes … if I feel good and like it's not going to harm me then I will play."

Daniel Brettig is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo. He tweets here

RSS Feeds: Daniel Brettig

Posted by Harmony111 on (January 26, 2013, 9:16 GMT)

@dunger.bob: Its good that Eng and Aus have so many patrons for Test Cricket but when it comes to India's involvement in Tests, I'd say that if we were to take the disjointed sets of Ind fans who like ONLY Tests or ODIs or T20s each set of them would still be much large than the patrons of Tests in Eng or Aus.

The reason of poor attendance in India for Tests is not lack of interest but practical issues. Often the 1st 2-3 days are poorly attended but as the match moves towards the result or when something special is about to happen then you would find a good no of ppl watching it in the stadium.

And in any case, it is an old yardstick to measure Test's (or any format's) popularity by the ppl coming to the stadium. A great great many ppl follow Tests in India via TV or Internet or via our dear cricinfo.

When Ind plays a Test, I got cricinfo open invariably in office and so do a no of my friends.

Your patronage of Tests is welcome but its not the ONLY, Ind still outnumbers you there.

Posted by Greatest_Game on (January 26, 2013, 6:12 GMT)

It's tough work in the IPL, especially for bowlers. Having to bowl 24 balls a game is really stressful on the body. Good idea for him to stay home and have mum look after him. Leave that career wrecking stress to old guys who can handle it - like Kallis, Harris, Lee, Azhar Mahmood etc

Posted by jonesy2 on (January 26, 2013, 5:06 GMT)

well everyone has to follow starc. im shocked that clarke himself is playing IPL aswell as watson and pattinson. all the talk about resting and preparing themselves for the next 12 months and they go and play this? money has never talked louder and this is as clear a illustration as possible that they prefer money than success for australia.

Posted by   on (January 26, 2013, 3:51 GMT)

I love test cricket....There's no doubt that this contest spanning over five days,brings out elements and factors that test a player's skills,his ability to adapt,his resolve.It's more gruelling, and a more complete package, with a lot of time given to people to stage recoveries and comebacks, or if they are ahead to show it to the world,that they can also sustain it.It is life itself with its' share of challenges,good/bad luck,man vs nature that is put out there for display when the men in flannel whites step out to decide a winner o'er the next five days. However, in this age of instant everything, there has been a lot of pecuniary pressure, and audience and players alike have fallen to the rise of the variety of cricket that answers to that force.Test cricket has lost a lot of ground,especially in India,where in the major cities there's hardly the same enthusiasm left for any long game of cricket.It's the smaller,less known venues that show more support.A revival is sorely needed.

Posted by dunger.bob on (January 26, 2013, 3:12 GMT)

@ gsingh7 on (January 25 2013, 11:16 AM GMT) :"no one can sit 5 days and watch some boring match where players play at 2 rpo, audience in india want 8 or 9 per over in t20 as it excites the crowd, so icc should be upto date and take necessary measures" .. actually Tests are still well attended in Australia and England. Melbourne tests routinely attract 250,000 + over 4 or 5 days. Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth are all social events that draw excellent crowds with millions more watching it on TV, on the radio in the truck or tractor or even sneaking a few peaks on the mobile phone when you're at work. Not that I would ever do that :) .. The point is, different strokes for different folks. If what you say is true and India has completely lost interest in Test cricket then the onus is on India to withdraw from the Test scene, not for Test cricket to be abandoned by the ICC simply because India doesn't want to play any more. .. at least that would be the decent thing to do.

Posted by AhmedEsat on (January 25, 2013, 21:51 GMT)

Shouldn't you Aussies all be resting in line with your rotation policy? Perhaps Cricket Australia should explain why they are resting players only to see them exert themselves in IPL for personal gain?????

Posted by caruisctkreatlia on (January 25, 2013, 21:06 GMT)

@ every person that said it was a bad decision from Starc or said test cricket was going down

You are wrong. Test cricket is actually on its way up as people realise how ipl is just dancing ,fireworks and a couple of people with bad technique smacking it for six. T20 is boring.

Posted by WeeBee on (January 25, 2013, 18:17 GMT)

I am not an IPL biggest Hater! .. But there are few things that is happening to cricket because of such events! like you are losing fast bowlers early because they play too much cricket and lose their cricket life, you don't find technical batsman and do find only hitters. You can only find T20 players from events like IPL.

Posted by gosh01 on (January 25, 2013, 17:50 GMT)

I wish we had players such as this in Sri Lanka !! Best of luck M Starc

Posted by KanAloshFozter on (January 25, 2013, 16:22 GMT)

Great decision by Starc.It's really hard not to see t20 leagues over nation. I'm pretty much sure that by the time ICC set ups it's test championship the top teams of this age full of ipl stars wouldn't feature in the 4 teamed tournament.India,most certainly wouldn't be one of the teams participating.Hope Australia won't go the same way.

Posted by stormy16 on (January 25, 2013, 15:23 GMT)

Seriously commendable decision by a young man for whom it would be easy to go for the financial lure to and set himself up. I also think he is yet to cement himself in the Aus team when the string of injured players return so it does make sense to focus on Aus. I can see some of the IPL fans being offended but if you analys his reason (if you are able to - he has nothing against the IPL or Sachin!) I am sure you will appreciate the sense in his decision.

Posted by bigdhonifan on (January 25, 2013, 14:30 GMT)

Ashes- Most boring tournament on earth and they are killing test cricket with overdose.

Posted by yuva19 on (January 25, 2013, 14:26 GMT)

Yeah dont worry, he'll be up for ipl next year. This has been a regularity for emerging players..

Posted by Shaggy076 on (January 25, 2013, 11:50 GMT)

I think most Australian fans have come on here to say its great Starc is putting Australia before any IPL team (or contract), yet we get the T20 and IPL is the greatest debate shoved down our throats. There is a place for T20 cricket, but a domestic cricket league no matter what form of cricket should always be behind representing your country and preparing yourself to represent your country in the best way possible.

Posted by gsingh7 on (January 25, 2013, 11:16 GMT)

test cricket is on decline and one fine day icc will abolish it to more viable odi and t20, it is good for sc teams as india pak have both won t20 wc and india is current odi champion and no 1 odi team , no one can sit 5 days and watch some boring match where players play at 2 rpo, audience in india want 8 or 9 per over in t20 as it excites the crowd, so icc should be upto date and take necessary measures , asap

Posted by sachin_vvsfan on (January 25, 2013, 9:37 GMT)

@appoooz , @skumar_96 when starc says IPL can wait he doesn't mean The IPL owners/teams have to wait for him, but he literally means to say that his availability to IPL can be put on hold for some time so that he can concentrate on his first Ashes series and then he can make himself available to IPL (ofcourse then it is up to IPL franchise to bid for him and given that the likes of christian got hefty pay checks he too is likely to get one)

@Stup1d I swear i didnt watch a single game of CLT20 live in TV. But IPL is a long tournament and you cannot escape from it esp when it is televised everywhere in india(restaurants, barber shops or even in office). And when you try to follow it you will be put off with the quality of the players (including some foreigners). Guess only an indian fan can feel it.

Posted by baghels.a on (January 25, 2013, 9:12 GMT)

Usual suspects including some Indian fans indulging in anti-IPL/T-20 cliches, usual condescending, pompous, elitist remarks like test cricket is real cricket etc.These online fans have no connect with the common fan who sat and watched IPL match at 4 pm in afternoon in 45 degree plus heat packing the stadiums to the maximum.Some of you self appointed custodians of test cricket have no qualms supporting Barcelona's and Man U's of the world but are inimical to club system in cricket you would prefer the game played by 15 odd people but not 200 odd cricketers who get a chance in IPL/BBL. As an Indian cricketfan my support is not only limited to those elite 15 playing for Team India but to all India A, u-19,cricketers playing in IPL,Ranji teams in all formats.Cricket community is a small place as it is ,so please quit the hating and love all three formats of the game.Then according to all you purists even game like Football,Rugby are not real sports cos they are not played over 5 days ??

Posted by ADARSH100 on (January 25, 2013, 8:47 GMT)

I wish if pakistan players play IPL this time.. They must play.. Pak Players are not responsible for any violence or terrorism in the world.. and i cant understand why players are ignored.. Y they..? BPL,SLPL and evn in big bash pak players play well... but their presence is not ther in IPL.. Pak players r very much talented in t20 format..and their presence is always a fantastic xperience..

and i dont think Starc decision is very good.. IPL is sme experience for an international tournament.. Then Starc alone missing IPL will not coz gud for Aussies coz many other Ausy players r playng in IPL.. xD

Posted by Big-Dog on (January 25, 2013, 7:15 GMT)

IPL is the biggest blight on cricket. Its a meaningless competition that is undermining International cricket & weakening the traditional skills of the game.The sooner it dies the better.

Posted by appoooz on (January 25, 2013, 4:09 GMT)

Dear Mr.Starc, please do not say IPL should wait for you. Even though you are open to the auction, chances are less for you to be picked up as a strike bowler in any of the team since you are unaware of sub-continent conditions and your over-all track records are not so catching when compares to SA's Steyn & Morkel, and Lanka's Malinga. So be patient, prove the world that you can be a threat to any batsman in any grounds, irrespective of game formats, like McGrath. All the very best wishes.

Posted by ganirules on (January 25, 2013, 4:03 GMT)

it was not only aussie's play good cricket, their are plenty of talents in Minnows like Afganistan - Shapoor Zadran can do well, in Zimbabwe Taylor Ervine and their are lot of players but the IPL team are more attracted to Aussie,South africa and West indies I dont why,

Posted by KEVINSL on (January 25, 2013, 3:25 GMT)

@mitchel starc:- well done mate.you are example for many cricketers around the world who put priority to foreign premier leagues before country .so many questions of your talents in this forum.but I appreciate your thoughts.

Posted by No_1_again on (January 25, 2013, 2:51 GMT)

Good decision by Strac. He has got his priorities right. Playing for the country is first than of IPL. (skumar_96) He is not asking IPL to wait or IPL not asking him to wait. Players need and IPL and IPL need better players to pull crowds and TV ratings.

Posted by keralite on (January 25, 2013, 1:38 GMT)

Good decision by Starc. Some of the Indians are saying Starc is not needed in IPL. I think you guys have not been watching cricket lately. Last year no one has taken more wickets in T2o than Starc did. And also just look at the way he batted in the Last two ODIs against Sri Lanka. Not to mention his 60 odd against South Africa in the lost test against South Africa. He may not be a Steyn or Malinga but there will be a day when young kids consider Starc as their cricketing idol. P S- I am Indian, I don't like IPL and I am not the only one.

Posted by dunger.bob on (January 24, 2013, 23:49 GMT)

@ Cpt.Meanster on (January 24 2013, 22:05 PM GMT) : The back to back series is unusual and due to the London Olympics. Once the b2b is out of the way, things will return to the normal 4 year cycle for home series. .. I also think it might be a bit hard for other people to understand just how important the Ashes, and Test cricket in general, is to we Aussies. .. Australia is often accused of being insensitive to the culture of Asian people but when it comes to Test cricket I think there is a bit role reversal going on. .. we have been throwing the kitchen sink (and then some) at the English for 130 years in our quest to surpass the inventors of the game. .. it's a deep seated part of OUR culture. .. Yes, you heard me right, OUR culture. .. I don't expect other countries to share our passion for Tests though. .. it's very much our thing and other places are more than welcome to develop their cricket along what ever lines they see fit. ..

Posted by Liquefierrrr on (January 24, 2013, 23:39 GMT)

@skumar_96 - Starc is considerably better than any Indian pace bowler at T20, that's international or domestic (check his statistics).

And yes, the IPL will wait for him. Whilst trundlers like James Franklin continue to get regular games then they'd kill for Starc.

He'd be one of the best buys actually.

He'll play IPL when he wants, and IPL will gladly oblige him.

Posted by Shaggy076 on (January 24, 2013, 23:25 GMT)

Not sure why Indian fans are having a go at Starc for not choosing the IPL. Of course the number one priority for 99% of Australian cricketers is to play for Australia. The IPL is a meaningless cash grab and these blokes if they play all three formats for Australia are going to be paid way more than what IPL can offer. SO if the IPL hinders therer preparation for Australia they will pass it up. Starc could say 200k for an IPL contract, however his Australian contract may go up to around the million dollars. Then bitter IPL fans because he has chosen more meaningful cricket say its because he is not good enough - let me tell you if he put his hand up he would be snapped up in a flash.

Posted by lisadb99 on (January 24, 2013, 23:17 GMT)

Cpt Meanster "Then we have another series within a year I think. " No there isn't. The Ashes series was moved forward from next year to this year in Australia because in 2014 we will be hsoting the World Cup and didn't want to have them clash. After the Ashes here in Oz next summer, then the next Ashes series will be in England in 3.5 years time.

Posted by dunger.bob on (January 24, 2013, 23:09 GMT)

@ Jose Puliampatta : "@1234666 Nice to know that Bird can play pigeon! ".. that's because they are birds of a feather. ... ... @ skumar_96 on (January 24 2013, 21:45 PM GMT): "So it's good that you stay in Aus and wait for the IPL, we don't need you." .. you may be surprised by what Starc can do when you get a good look at him in Aus's upcoming tour of India. He's developing into a damn fine player .. it's hard to say how he will go on Indian pitches but he could be a major headache for your guys. ... @ Cpt.Meanster "The IPL is here to stay and Starc can play any time in the future." That's it, in a nutshell. He isn't trying to insult India or the IPL as some of the more paranoid Indian posters seem to think. .. He's excited about playing in the Ashes and wants to do everything he can to help us wrest them away from the Poms. That's all there is to it. .. one day he will put himself in the auction and the market can decide his value as a cricketer.

Posted by Meety on (January 24, 2013, 22:52 GMT)

@GeoffreysMother on (January 24 2013, 09:48 AM GMT) - don't disagree with anything you said, although there is nothing in Patto's career to suggest that he will ever be a good short form bowler. IMO - there is a difference between Patto the ODI bowler & Patto the Test bowler. I would not have Patto in my first 20 specialist ODI/T20 bowlers. @SherjilIslam on (January 24 2013, 10:38 AM GMT) - I hope spends his "6-weeks off" during the IPL having long chats with Wasim!!! @Dashgar on (January 24 2013, 11:56 AM GMT) - granted, but it wasn't only retirements, we lost MacGill, Symonds, Lee & Jaques to injuries too! Playing in India is POOR preparation for an Ashes battle - home or away. I think this has been significant. @TDOT-Indian on (January 24 2013, 16:53 PM GMT) - if I were Indian - I would be proud of the IPL, it is a lavish spectacle & whilst there are signs of diminishing returns has been profitable. However, imagine if the BBL burned out Indian players? How would you feel?

Posted by IndianInnerEdge on (January 24, 2013, 22:39 GMT)

My 5c's worth- what a mature decision by someone who has his priorities sorted and is not swayed by money...am not saying that IPL is all about $$ but surely it must be a gr8 feeling to say that 'you donot own me'...as far as people condemming this decision and people saying that this reflects the oz desperation-get ur fact right, this is an individual's decision not to play the IPL so as to give his body to recoup and be int he best frame and conditions to play for his country, his decision should be lauded. I only wish-more of indian players could learn from this. End of the day-a player is rememberd for his feats in international cricket, the true fan does not give a rodent's backside for bombay baygonsprayers playing the perth pocketsnatchers with all their paint spill accident uniforms-the whole ipl, bpl, bbl is one big blur of slogging and media hype...:) test cricket is the real thing, was and hopefully will be....

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (January 24, 2013, 22:05 GMT)

Actually, I have a better idea. How about all the Aussie 'TEST' players skip the IPL since it's an Ashes year ? But wait ! the Ashes will be every other day !!! LOL. 2 Ashes series in a space of 4 months... ARE you KIDDING me ? Then we have another series within a year I think. So you see... test cricket is important. But is it really that important to go on a MAD spree of playing regular Ashes series ? Jeez, the series used to mean something a LONG time ago. Too much of anything is not good in life; test cricket included.

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (January 24, 2013, 22:00 GMT)

@abhiyog: Looks like I have become so POPULAR here on Cricinfo that my name gets dragged around even when I don't comment. Dear friend, T20 cricket is the BEST format to globalize the sport. I have utmost respect for test cricket BUT I feel it's living on borrowed time. Nevertheless, I do understand the wailing and cries of those begging for test cricket to live on. As a modern cricket fan or rather, ODI & T20 fan, I am sure test cricket can 'cling' on for a few more years. Having said that, I can understand where Starc is coming from. He's obviously young and wants to make a name for himself wearing the Baggy Green. I respect his views on the IPL. If he wishes to participate, he will add another feather to a great league. If he doesn't wish to play any time soon, it's okay. The IPL is here to stay and Starc can play any time in the future.

Posted by Buggsy on (January 24, 2013, 21:57 GMT)

Front foot mate, you're becoming a bit of a joke around here, you might as well give up your blatant hatred of anything Australian. This was Starc's decision to solidify his dream of becoming a permanent in the Test squad; pretty mature decision from a young bloke if you ask me.

Posted by Shaggy076 on (January 24, 2013, 21:56 GMT)

Great decision all bowlers should be doing a pre-season while the IPL is on. Pattinson depends if he goes to play tests in India he should also stay away from the IPL. harris has been doing a pre-season for the last 6 months so should be ready to go now. As for the batsman they only have to get there minds (rather than their bodies) ready for the Indian tests, back-to-back Ashes and tests in South Africa. So if they fill there mind can cope with IPL that should be ok. If there is any sign of injury I doubt Clarke will play, as for Watson think he needs to sort out his priorities.

Posted by skumar_96 on (January 24, 2013, 21:45 GMT)

Sorry Mr. Starc, IPL will not wait for you, you have to wait for IPL. The fact is you are not sure whether you will be there in the Aussie squad for a long time because of rotation and other talents around, the other fact is you may not be as effective as Styen or Malinga, etc. So it's good that you stay in Aus and wait for the IPL, we don't need you.

Posted by __PK on (January 24, 2013, 21:29 GMT)

Nice story, TDOT-Indian, but I can't see why you're surprised the IPL was playing on a ship with a tiny minority of Indian nationals. But it has little to do with the quality of the cricket, believe me...

Posted by Marko12 on (January 24, 2013, 21:19 GMT)

Front-Foot-Lunge, are you illiterate or just silly? The article is about Starc turning down the IPL (for now) to concentrate on playing for his country. With all the smart alec responses/comments I've seen from England fans regarding the Ashes, they better win. I recall the last time that happened. But of course, it was all in fun, yeah? The Mitchell Johnson one was the funniest. They must've forgotten the sixfa, for about 23. I actrually love it when the poms start shooting their mouth off.

Posted by Liquefierrrr on (January 24, 2013, 20:52 GMT)

@Front-Foot-Lunge - was wondering if your internet was disconnected, you've been awfully quiet on the English forums, what with their 3-straight losses and all.

England should stop 'laughing loudly' and win an ODI, and if you re-read, this article is primarily about a player NOT going to the IPL.

English players aren't allowed to go due to scheduling conflicts, and were extremely unhappy as a result. They chase the same popcorn-cricket-riches, however lack the capacity to go. If you will recall Pietersen kicked up such a fuss it almost ended his international career. That and selling out his team-mates.

I'm pleased with Starc, he continues to impress on and off the field. His time for IPL riches will come, but first the Ashes!

It'll be tough in England, no doubt, but I just hope the NSP don't betray those deserving of a spot and pick the team that will give us the best chance.

England are a good team, that have flashes of unrivalled brilliance but also flashbacks of horror.

Posted by Front-Foot-Lunge on (January 24, 2013, 19:42 GMT)

More Desperation for Australia. Knowing that they'll be on the losing team for back-to-back Ashes defeats, Australia's players are figuring that they may as well make some money playing popcorn cricket instead of devoting their time to their country. England continue to laugh loudly at their struggles.

Posted by number-09 on (January 24, 2013, 18:43 GMT)

Can't blame watson. He has to maximize his earning power before his injuries renders him unable to compete

Posted by abhiyog on (January 24, 2013, 18:37 GMT)

Cpt@meanster wru waiting for ur IPL supporting comment from a distant Canada where people dont know what cricket is all about, its better that 10 nations can play proper test cricket than 100 nations playing T20 and ruining cricket..........

Posted by Jason_Mcphee on (January 24, 2013, 18:31 GMT)

@maf17, yes we don't want our cricketers to play there, that's why we have a proper team and our cricketers are probably getting more salaries than other Country's cricketers, I heard Aussies are paid good too, well who knows.

Posted by disco_bob on (January 24, 2013, 17:32 GMT)

Early on Clarke eschewed the IPL in favour of his career and subsequently became what he has today.

Posted by sipunjohn on (January 24, 2013, 17:18 GMT)

well mate starcy we dont want you at ipl.ipl has more tricky bowler like lee,hilfenhaus,morkel,styen. oh come on mate you are not more tricky than styen.got it.keep this attitude with you.we indians hate them.all right buddy..

Posted by sri_sri_bapuji on (January 24, 2013, 17:16 GMT)

FLT20 ? What is that now?

Posted by TDOT-Indian on (January 24, 2013, 16:53 GMT)

its funny to see all this hate towards ipl. IPL is successful, why cant people just accept it. Players are cleared to play and they are taking advantage of it. Starc is still worried about his place in the squad and he has every reason to want to skip IPL. Just get over it people, IPL is here to stay and people watch it across the globe. Last year i was on a cruise on the largest ship "ALLURE OF THE SEAS" and to my surprise they were playing the IPL in the bars,by the pool in your room and anywhere you could imagine. Out of 6000 + on this cruise, there were less than 50 indians crusing and believe me, IPL was being watched.It was a huge hit. Im glad to see IPL hit it off. People love it, its entertaining. It just upsets me to see that Indian cricketers are not allowed to play in BBL and so on. It would make it more entertaning and maybe this way they'll finally win the hearts of australians.

Posted by DylanBrah on (January 24, 2013, 15:48 GMT)

Why do we need to promote cricket across the globe? Cricket has done just fine for many years... I would rather cricket be as it is now than abandon Test and ODI and have 20+ nations just playing T20. That is not cricket.

Posted by Sarbajeet on (January 24, 2013, 15:47 GMT)

@ Jason_Mcphee: Care to explain what you mean by " being played in a better place"?!

Posted by   on (January 24, 2013, 15:36 GMT)

IPL can recruit John Inverarity, team-performance manager Pat Howard and coach Mickey Arthur also to assist some franchise or the other. That way, they can keep an eye on the Oz players, practicing for Ashes, on a multitude of tracks in India, hoicking the ball over the ropes, and perfecting some unconventional strokes, which can be-fuddle the Poms. Wow, what a training! Perhaps, the presence of these three big-wigs may prompt more Oz players developing unusual skills on the 'killing fields' of India, in the hot summer!

Posted by   on (January 24, 2013, 15:28 GMT)

@1234666 Nice to know that Bird can play pigeon!

Posted by ThatsJustCricket on (January 24, 2013, 15:16 GMT)

@ abhiyog on (January 24 2013, 12:55 PM GMT: I am also a fan of test cricket, but fail to understand how "ashes is the mother of all". It is just a test series between two sides and for those two teams it might mean the world but for everyone else it is just a test series between two teams.

Posted by swat1999 on (January 24, 2013, 15:12 GMT)

Good thinking from M.Starc. He needs physically and mental rest for himself before and after tough summer and winter

Posted by maf17 on (January 24, 2013, 14:33 GMT)

Sorry, I dont quite follow this argument. Dont English cricketers also play in the IPL? Why would Australia be the only nation adversely affected by the IPL?

Posted by blink182alex on (January 24, 2013, 14:22 GMT)

Good decision from Starc we need him fully fit for the Ashes, don't need him playing some domestic T20 cricket in India and possibly getting injured. Disappointed Clarke didn't opt out as aswell considering he's our captain ahead of such a big year. Hopefully Wade and Pattinson won't be picked up either. Let our aussie players prepare for some proper cricket not play some second rate trosh.

Posted by Harpreet on (January 24, 2013, 14:20 GMT)

I am from India and I completely respect Starc's decision. Country comes first and if he feels his body needs rest then so should it be. Hats off to him

Posted by Jason_Mcphee on (January 24, 2013, 14:18 GMT)

Who cares about IPL, its a joke and what India have done for the world of Cricket, even their own team is destroyed with it, No.1 on paper and lost 4-0 to us last year, lost 4-0 to Aus, again lost to us 2-1 at home, lost to Pakistan 2-1, they havn't done anything after the worldcup but still No.1. Anyway BBL and FLT20 are far better than IPL with less games and being played in a better place.

Posted by ShortGully on (January 24, 2013, 13:54 GMT)

Its upto him to decide.. but I heard CSK is looking to pick pat cummins,Starc or Rampaul,Remember Andy Bichel is the bowling coach, he will recommend only AUS players I guess.. I dont think Your talent get wasted if you play or participate in IPL, afterall they are not playing football in IPL..!

Posted by Djmaharshi on (January 24, 2013, 13:43 GMT)

If you want to globalise the cricket than you have to adopt t-20 format. I know test cricket is real cricket but world don't care about it. Just watch the league competition in Soccer. That's real type of globalising a game. How would you fell if England soccer team tour to Spain for 5 matches series, it would be so boring so please don't be frustrate from cricket leagues.

Posted by themightyfenoughtys on (January 24, 2013, 13:41 GMT)

IPL "promoting cricket across the globe" - hilarious - it's hardly seen on TV outside the sub-continent and S Africa.

Posted by 1234666 on (January 24, 2013, 13:40 GMT)

Great decision from M. starc. here's how I see it... For the ashes starc will be Australia's jason gillespe and Jackson Bird plays the Glenn Mcgrath role. Siddle is the Andy Bichel type bowler coming on 1st change. I have a feeling that Starc will be the most important player on either side come the ashes and if he gets his groove on early in the series he can be the difference. Its not all doom and gloom for the aussies as some people believe and although they are young it will only take controlling Cook and Peiterson to win half the battle.

Posted by abhiyog on (January 24, 2013, 12:55 GMT)

For those saying IPL wil rule over test cricket are those who dont understand cricket at all IPL is entertainment and test cricket is real cricket and ashes is the mother of all , National Pride comes at stake while playing for country not for franchise is senseless IPL..........

Posted by WalkingWicket11 on (January 24, 2013, 12:52 GMT)

@sachin_vvsfan I wonder if you realise that you have the option of not watching the IPL if you do not like it. I have not watched a single IPL game till today, and I am doing perfectly fine.

Posted by ramab on (January 24, 2013, 12:51 GMT)

I believe IPL should be held every alternate year. The year following IPL should be designated for Champions League, which will reduce the fatigue on players. Other option could be any player playing in say 10 international matches in the year following upto the IPL year should play say only 75-80% of the IPL matches. I believe this will also help Indian players.

Posted by Paras.Rishi on (January 24, 2013, 12:50 GMT)

Pre-season talk: Country is important. IPL can wait. Test Cricket is my priority... During IPL: Probably the best tournament around. IPL is a big learning curve. IPL improved me as a player. Blah.. blah.. blah..

Posted by CrICkeeet on (January 24, 2013, 12:44 GMT)

I think in IPL each team can face each other ONCE. then d nmbr of d match wil reduce nd wil b more competitive. I also lyk 2 watch IPL nd its a gd entrtainmnt bt 6 week is excess...

Posted by abhinav8391 on (January 24, 2013, 12:44 GMT)

ipl is promoting cricket across globe. if few plyrs opt out it will not effect ipl. ipl is an outstanding platform fr youngsters and thos plyrs who never get to play for their country

Posted by   on (January 24, 2013, 12:13 GMT)

I bet flower can't believe his luck. Australia play cricket 6 months non-stop then some of their best players decide to spend another 6 weeks in India before flying to the UK for Champions Trophy. 8-9 months cricket with no break. Who wants a bet on how many Aussies either under perform through fatigue or end up injured during the Ashes. Most of them will be lucky to be in any shape at all come the return ashes.

Meanwhile Swann and Anderson are putting their feet up and preparing for 3 tests in the next 6 months. How things have changed!

Posted by DylanBrah on (January 24, 2013, 11:59 GMT)

I'm liking this guy more and more everyday. Good lad.

Posted by Dashgar on (January 24, 2013, 11:56 GMT)

So they're blaming the IPL for Australia failing in England since '08. How about the retirement of Warne, McGrath, Gilly, Langer, Hayden, Martyn and Gillespie. IPL hasn't harmed Australia at all. We've simply lost possibly the greatest team of all time to retirements.

Posted by cricketcarl on (January 24, 2013, 11:52 GMT)

goodbye test cricket, nice knowing you.

Posted by sachin_vvsfan on (January 24, 2013, 11:43 GMT)

Enough of this IPL. Atleast reduce the num of matches. And 6 weeks is just overkill and please dont increase the teams as we are tired of watching mediocre domestic players who are made stars with one off performance.

Posted by RogerC on (January 24, 2013, 11:43 GMT)

T20 is the future of cricket. IPL will be the star event each year.

Posted by Simoc on (January 24, 2013, 11:39 GMT)

This is an obvious one. Starc has been going nonstop for the best 18 months of his career and no doubt has nagging foot issues. Players love playing T20. It's the best; big crowds, good money, good fun and over in 3.5 hours. They talk fondly of test cricket to satisfy the old has beens of yesterdays cricket, who are trying to stay relevant.

Posted by Potatis on (January 24, 2013, 11:31 GMT)

I'm disappointed Clarke is playing IPL when there are back to back Ashes series coming up. I know that the current English side isn't a huge threat to Australia winning both Ashes series, but the test team should still be as mentally rested as possible, because winning the Ashes is the pinnacle. Clarke is not showing the fans or fellow team mates that the Ashes mean the world to him. Winning every test series and getting Aus back to No.1 should be his top most priority. There is also a test series to be played first in India as well which would already be mentally draining. Touring India is never easy for cricketers, the India side has a good home record. The admiration I have for Starc has gone up a peg or two.

Posted by SamRoy on (January 24, 2013, 11:26 GMT)

Pattinson should have stayed away as well. Watson should not bowl in IPL. Rest will be fine.

Posted by balakumar1982 on (January 24, 2013, 11:11 GMT)

I remember Bopara and Eoin Morgan statements when I read this article about Starc & IPL. Starc should be beware of history!!!

Posted by RoJayao on (January 24, 2013, 10:47 GMT)

Starc is a very impressive individual and this kind of common sense decision speaks volumes for his character and how he views the absolute privelage of playing for Australia. It's more than can be said for some of his seemingly incredibly greedy team mates! Very disappointed that Clarke has decided that this year of all years is the time to take the easy IPL money. And what's with Hussey? He doesn't want to play for Australia anymore to spend more time with his family, but then takes off to India for six weeks?! And Watson. Absolute merc, gun for hire. Maybe the real reason he hasn't done better playing for Australia is that he just doesn't bleed for the baggy green, his heart isn't really in it. And Pattinson, well, too much money too easy to get. Won't be surprised when he breaks down again. To think, cricketers used to complain about too much cricket! What a joke.

Posted by ooper_cut on (January 24, 2013, 10:45 GMT)

Makes sense for a young player like Starc to say this, but consider a player who might have just a few years left and he will surely want to make as much as possible right now. You will be hearing differently from Starc 2 years down the road. Anyway, a nice choice, hope he gets rewarded with plenty of pom wickets.

Posted by SherjilIslam on (January 24, 2013, 10:38 GMT)

Starc is the best available Bowler Australia have at the moment.Good to see a youngster preferring Nation over Money. I feel, he will be the key in India as he is a genuine swing bowler, and India traditionally are a poor players of left arm swing bowlers.e.g. Wasim Akram,Juniad, etc.

Posted by Narkovian on (January 24, 2013, 10:31 GMT)

I agree with @ Rob_Sydney . Poor Dears. SOoo much cricket they all all knackered. Pull the other one mate. Personally being English, I hope they are all crocked when The Ashes come along . Mind yu the same situation applies to our lot too... Cheers $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Posted by karim.javed on (January 24, 2013, 10:26 GMT)

Keep your players away from these leagues other wise you will have to face more defeats in future like you are facing against Sri Lanka right now.

Posted by crickeymate on (January 24, 2013, 10:21 GMT)

How many englishmen are playing in the IPL?

Posted by   on (January 24, 2013, 10:19 GMT)

Why would any of the IPL Franchises want Michael Clarke? Sure he's one of the best Test batsmen going around at the moment, but he was pretty well filling the role of specialist Captain for Australia in T20I matches before he gave up the format.

Posted by arvind.Kejriwal.AAP_A_Better_INDIA_ on (January 24, 2013, 10:06 GMT)

I'm a huge fan of Starc. He is really impressive. Surely one of the Best emerging talents, at least better than Juanid Khan.

Posted by Mervo on (January 24, 2013, 10:00 GMT)

Well done. Forget the stuipd T20 stuff and have a career that lasts in Test Cricket

Posted by GeoffreysMother on (January 24, 2013, 9:48 GMT)

Good article. It seems like the time with Jason Gillespie at Yorkshire not only sharpened up the lad's bowling but his mind as well. I think he will become Australia's most potent bowler in a year or two. Let him do the bowling and Siddle can snarl at both ends! Patterson looked distinctly mediocre in England last year despite the 'huge raps' Aussie commentators gave him. If he thinks that the IPL is good training for the Ashes then England's slightly overrated batsmen will sleep a little easier. As for Rhino he is right, at his age, to go and make some money. The real amazement is Watson and Clarke going given their injury concerns. Are they as desperate as Hussey to miss the Ashes? Bring back Punter, at least he knows what wearing a baggy green is about.

Posted by Rob_Sydney on (January 24, 2013, 9:27 GMT)

Yes, rotation policy. Um, well, the players are overworked you see...

Daniel BrettigClose
Daniel Brettig Assistant editor Daniel Brettig had been a journalist for eight years when he joined ESPNcricinfo, but his fascination with cricket dates back to the early 1990s, when his dad helped him sneak into the family lounge room to watch the end of day-night World Series matches well past bedtime. Unapologetically passionate about indie music and the South Australian Redbacks, Daniel's chief cricketing achievement was to dismiss Wisden Almanack editor Lawrence Booth in the 2010 Ashes press match in Perth - a rare Australian victory that summer.
Country Fixtures Country Results
2nd Match, Group B: Hurricanes v Kings XI at Mohali
Sep 18, 2014 (20:00 local | 14:30 GMT | 10:30 EDT | 09:30 CDT | 07:30 PDT)
4th Match, Group A: Dolphins v Scorchers at Mohali
Sep 20, 2014 (16:00 local | 10:30 GMT | 06:30 EDT | 05:30 CDT | 03:30 PDT)
6th Match, Group B: Cape Cobras v Hurricanes at Hyderabad (Deccan)
Sep 21, 2014 (16:00 local | 10:30 GMT | 06:30 EDT | 05:30 CDT | 03:30 PDT)
9th Match, Group B: Hurricanes v Northern D at Raipur
Sep 23, 2014 (20:00 local | 14:30 GMT | 10:30 EDT | 09:30 CDT | 07:30 PDT)
10th Match, Group A: KKR v Scorchers at Hyderabad (Deccan)
Sep 24, 2014 (20:00 local | 14:30 GMT | 10:30 EDT | 09:30 CDT | 07:30 PDT)
Complete fixtures » | Download Fixtures »