Cricket New South Wales chairman Harinath resigns
The summer of change at Cricket New South Wales has continued with the resignation of Harry Harinath as chairman. Harinath will retain his position as a member of the state board and as a director of Cricket Australia but after stepping down as chairman at a Cricket New South Wales board meeting on Tuesday night he was replaced by fellow director John Warn.
Already this season the state has lost its head coach Anthony Stuart and the chief executive David Gilbert, while Stuart Clark also resigned as chief executive of the Sydney Sixers Big Bash League team. Cricket New South Wales and in particular Gilbert also came in for stinging criticism from Brett Lee, who in December said that Stuart had been unfairly blamed for problems that had built up over several years.
Gilbert stepped down after a special board meeting at the SCG in January and while Harinath's position was also discussed, he survived until this week's meeting. Harinath, who has sat on the state board since 2000 and served as chairman since 2008, said he was honoured to have spent nearly five years in the role.
"I step down as chairman of the Cricket New South Wales board, knowing what an incredible honour it has been to have been involved with such a great state," Harinath said. "It felt like the right time to make the decision and to give the organisation the chance to look to the future.
"It has been a humbling experience to have been part of so many positive developments in recent years and I leave the role knowing that Cricket New South Wales is in a strong position to move forward. I am also confident in the knowledge that John will bring a strong commercial background, excellent cricket administration skills and a new energy to the role."
Warn, a former first-grade cricketer and administrator with Manly-Warringah, said he was keen to work closely with former players around the state to help return Cricket New South Wales to a position of strength.