Hussey undecided on Western Australia future
The retired Test batsman Michael Hussey has not yet decided if he will play on for Western Australia next summer. Hussey was not part of the list of contracted players the Warriors announced on Wednesday for the 2013-14 season due to the uncertainty over his future but the coach Justin Langer said the state would give Hussey as much time as he needed to decide on whether to play on.
"It's been a real whirlwind for Mike since he decided to retire from international cricket and he's basically had no time to reflect on where he's come from and what he wants to do in the future," Langer said. "Because of the rules and regulations we've had to put our squad together now but certainly we'll be giving Mike Hussey every bit of time he requires to make a decision on whether he wants to keep playing for the Warriors and the Scorchers."
The fast bowler Michael Hogan and the batsman Travis Birt have gone from last year's list after retiring from Australian domestic cricket, while the batsman Tom Beaton was also dropped and Matt Dixon was demoted from a full contract to the rookie list. The wicketkeeper-batsman Sam Whiteman has been upgraded from his rookie deal while Hilton Cartwright, Burt Cockley and John Rogers have gained full contracts.
"There haven't been too many additions. We're looking to encourage the philosophy that we'll reward performance not just talent and reputation," Langer said. "The guys who've been upgraded, Whiteman, Rogers, Cartwright and Cockley, deserve it based on their performances last year. That's the philosophy we're trying to develop."
Western Australia Ashton Agar, Michael Beer, Jason Behrendorff, Hilton Cartwright, Burt Cockley, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Liam Davis, Ryan Duffield, Marcus Harris, Mitchell Johnson (Cricket Australia contract), Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Marcus North, Nathan Rimmington, John Rogers, Tom Triffitt, Adam Voges, Sam Whiteman. Rookies Cameron Bancroft, William Bosisto, Matt Dixon, Simon Mackin, Joel Paris, Ashton Turner.