Australia news April 12, 2014

Klinger signed by Warriors

  shares 6

Michael Klinger will move to Western Australia for next summer, as the man to plug the gap left in the Warriors' squad by the retirement of Marcus North. A two-year contract with WA lured 33-year-old Klinger westward, though he still had a season of his existing deal with South Australia left to run.

The news of Klinger's signature will be a relief for the Warriors coach Justin Langer, who has been working to find a senior pro following North's surprising decision to finish his Australian first-class career after a summer's renaissance as an opening batsman. Having moved to SA from Victoria in 2008 in an effort to supercharge his fortunes, Klinger has developed a reputation as a solid citizen and capable leader, also guiding Gloucestershire in England.

"I am very grateful for the opportunity the Western Warriors have given me," Klinger said. "I am looking forward to working with Justin and the coaching staff as well as joining the senior players in helping to guide this very exciting young group of talented cricketers to achieve success.

"It's sad to leave my teammates in South Australia, many of whom I have forged life long friendships with, but I am excited for what the future holds in WA. My wife and two young children along with myself are looking forward to calling Perth home."

In his time with the Redbacks, Klinger twice won the state player of the year award on Allan Border Medal night, while also taking home a trio of Neil Dansie medals as SA's most outstanding player. His captaincy garlands included the 2011 Big Bash and 2012 domestic limited overs titles, the first silverware won by SA since their last Sheffield Shield in 1996.

In all, Klinger has tallied 4,243 first-class runs for SA at 42.86 while also collecting 10 centuries. His record in limited overs matches has been similarly handsome. The Redbacks' loss will now be the Warriors' gain, not only in terms of runs but also the diligent example Klinger will set for the younger players he trains and performs alongside.

"It is obviously sad to lose someone of Michael Klinger's quality, and a player who has given a great deal to South Australian cricket," SA high performance manager Jamie Cox said. "Michael had a one-year deal remaining here in South Australia, but the Warriors were able to offer him a longer-term contract.

"We understand Michael's desire for contract security, and we wish him nothing but the best moving forward."

Klinger's move to the Warriors will make him part of Langer's plans to build a dynasty of success with WA, a goal the team took a first step towards by making this year's Shield final where they were thwarted by New South Wales. SA have meanwhile secured the return home of Mark Cosgrove, who had departed to Tasmania four years ago.

Daniel Brettig is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo. @danbrettig

Comments have now been closed for this article

  • POSTED BY Shaggy076 on | April 14, 2014, 2:58 GMT

    I'm a South Australian supporter and have been a fan of what Klinger has done for the state. Fact is other than that one dounbe hundred last season he is averaging 20 from his last 18 shield games. (over 30 innings). With Hughes, Cosgrove, Cooper, Head and Fergusson all with better recent records and an all-rounder position to be filled by Botha he was not a walk up start unless performance dictated it. Klinger was advised of his position and rather than back himself in to secure his spot with performance he has decided to move and I cannot blame the SACA for offering him a one year deal only.

  • POSTED BY LoungeChairCritic on | April 14, 2014, 1:01 GMT

    Klinger is a fantastic signing. I would have been happy to offer him a 3 year contract. Players such as Bancroft, Harris, Mitch Marsh and Turner will benefit from his professionalism. At times I felt like WA last year were throwing these young guys out to the wolves. Batsman for some reason take a bit longer to develop these days.

  • POSTED BY on | April 13, 2014, 8:26 GMT

    Hard to believe the SACA can't extend beyond one year for the bloke, that is the 'poor form' in this scenario. Hope he does well for the Warriors.

  • POSTED BY on | April 12, 2014, 23:48 GMT

    @Ben Derecki Did you read the article correctly? Jamie Cox said they couldn't offer Klinger a longer term contract so after all his achievements with South Australia. he did what any provider for a family does he finds the best deal and takes it for the future of his family. Poof form?? Not a chance! He gave them full value for their money but they could couldn't see fit to honor him with a decent contract so off to WA he goes and good luck to him and his family! Cheer up you have Mark Cosgrove coming back to the South Australian cricket team after moving him on 4 years ago!! Oh happy days for you.

  • POSTED BY android_user on | April 12, 2014, 15:55 GMT

    Booooo. That is going to leave a big hole in the Redbacks' top order, esp with Phil Hughes in the Aus team. I'm pretty disappointed with the bloke for leaving the Reddies in the lurch with a season left on his contract, poor form.

  • POSTED BY on | April 12, 2014, 8:40 GMT

    "Klinger's move to the Warriors will make him part of Langer's plans to build a dynasty of success with WA" Good Move..Let us see..

  • POSTED BY Shaggy076 on | April 14, 2014, 2:58 GMT

    I'm a South Australian supporter and have been a fan of what Klinger has done for the state. Fact is other than that one dounbe hundred last season he is averaging 20 from his last 18 shield games. (over 30 innings). With Hughes, Cosgrove, Cooper, Head and Fergusson all with better recent records and an all-rounder position to be filled by Botha he was not a walk up start unless performance dictated it. Klinger was advised of his position and rather than back himself in to secure his spot with performance he has decided to move and I cannot blame the SACA for offering him a one year deal only.

  • POSTED BY LoungeChairCritic on | April 14, 2014, 1:01 GMT

    Klinger is a fantastic signing. I would have been happy to offer him a 3 year contract. Players such as Bancroft, Harris, Mitch Marsh and Turner will benefit from his professionalism. At times I felt like WA last year were throwing these young guys out to the wolves. Batsman for some reason take a bit longer to develop these days.

  • POSTED BY on | April 13, 2014, 8:26 GMT

    Hard to believe the SACA can't extend beyond one year for the bloke, that is the 'poor form' in this scenario. Hope he does well for the Warriors.

  • POSTED BY on | April 12, 2014, 23:48 GMT

    @Ben Derecki Did you read the article correctly? Jamie Cox said they couldn't offer Klinger a longer term contract so after all his achievements with South Australia. he did what any provider for a family does he finds the best deal and takes it for the future of his family. Poof form?? Not a chance! He gave them full value for their money but they could couldn't see fit to honor him with a decent contract so off to WA he goes and good luck to him and his family! Cheer up you have Mark Cosgrove coming back to the South Australian cricket team after moving him on 4 years ago!! Oh happy days for you.

  • POSTED BY android_user on | April 12, 2014, 15:55 GMT

    Booooo. That is going to leave a big hole in the Redbacks' top order, esp with Phil Hughes in the Aus team. I'm pretty disappointed with the bloke for leaving the Reddies in the lurch with a season left on his contract, poor form.

  • POSTED BY on | April 12, 2014, 8:40 GMT

    "Klinger's move to the Warriors will make him part of Langer's plans to build a dynasty of success with WA" Good Move..Let us see..

  • No featured comments at the moment.

  • POSTED BY on | April 12, 2014, 8:40 GMT

    "Klinger's move to the Warriors will make him part of Langer's plans to build a dynasty of success with WA" Good Move..Let us see..

  • POSTED BY android_user on | April 12, 2014, 15:55 GMT

    Booooo. That is going to leave a big hole in the Redbacks' top order, esp with Phil Hughes in the Aus team. I'm pretty disappointed with the bloke for leaving the Reddies in the lurch with a season left on his contract, poor form.

  • POSTED BY on | April 12, 2014, 23:48 GMT

    @Ben Derecki Did you read the article correctly? Jamie Cox said they couldn't offer Klinger a longer term contract so after all his achievements with South Australia. he did what any provider for a family does he finds the best deal and takes it for the future of his family. Poof form?? Not a chance! He gave them full value for their money but they could couldn't see fit to honor him with a decent contract so off to WA he goes and good luck to him and his family! Cheer up you have Mark Cosgrove coming back to the South Australian cricket team after moving him on 4 years ago!! Oh happy days for you.

  • POSTED BY on | April 13, 2014, 8:26 GMT

    Hard to believe the SACA can't extend beyond one year for the bloke, that is the 'poor form' in this scenario. Hope he does well for the Warriors.

  • POSTED BY LoungeChairCritic on | April 14, 2014, 1:01 GMT

    Klinger is a fantastic signing. I would have been happy to offer him a 3 year contract. Players such as Bancroft, Harris, Mitch Marsh and Turner will benefit from his professionalism. At times I felt like WA last year were throwing these young guys out to the wolves. Batsman for some reason take a bit longer to develop these days.

  • POSTED BY Shaggy076 on | April 14, 2014, 2:58 GMT

    I'm a South Australian supporter and have been a fan of what Klinger has done for the state. Fact is other than that one dounbe hundred last season he is averaging 20 from his last 18 shield games. (over 30 innings). With Hughes, Cosgrove, Cooper, Head and Fergusson all with better recent records and an all-rounder position to be filled by Botha he was not a walk up start unless performance dictated it. Klinger was advised of his position and rather than back himself in to secure his spot with performance he has decided to move and I cannot blame the SACA for offering him a one year deal only.