Tait named in South Australia squad
Fast bowler Shaun Tait is set to play his first one-day match for three and a half years after being named in South Australia's squad for their opening Matador Cup game this weekend. Tait retired from one-day cricket after the 2011 World Cup and since then has become a Twenty20 specialist, but he said earlier this year he was keen to help South Australia win more silverware.
South Australia's 14-man squad for their match against New South Wales in Brisbane also includes uncapped batsman Jake Lehmann, the son of national coach Darren, as well as Mark Cosgrove, who has returned to the Redbacks after spending the past few seasons with Tasmania. But it is the presence of Tait that will create the greatest interest after he appeared to be lost to the state system.
"Taity isn't a contracted player, but we have been blown away with his commitment," South Australia's coach Darren Berry said. "I told him, mate, you come along when you want to come along because you aren't contracted, but he hasn't missed a session. He has been a role model for our players and is bowling very fast, so I am delighted to have him back involved.
"Cosgrove brings so much class and experience to our group. He has spent a lot of time with our young batsmen and has been such a positive influence on them. It is fantastic to have him back playing for South Australia.
"Jake Lehmann and Alex Ross have been the standout performers in our lead-in games and have been rewarded. It is great to see young South Australian players putting their hand up and demanding their position in our squad."
The Matador Cup begins with two matches on Saturday and continues throughout most of the month, with the final to be played on October 26. All the games will be played in Brisbane and Sydney, with the opening games between Queensland and Victoria at the Gabba and New South Wales and South Australia at Allan Border Field.
Victoria have named a 15-man squad for the tournament, with former New South Wales fast bowler Chris Tremain set to make his debut for his new state. The New South Wales squad for their opening match will be captained by allrounder Moises Henriques, and includes the uncapped offspinner Chris Green.
Western Australia have also confirmed a 15-man squad for the whole competition, although they do not begin their campaign until October 8. Michael Klinger will make his debut for the Warriors having switched from South Australia, while Craig Simmons will have the chance to return to one-day cricket for the first time since 2011-12, following on from his outstanding form in the BBL last summer.
New South Wales squad Moises Henriques (capt), Ryan Carters, Trent Copeland, Chris Green, Josh Hazlewood, Scott Henry, Josh Lalor, Nic Maddinson, Peter Nevill, Kurtis Patterson, Ben Rohrer, Gurinder Sandhu.
South Australia squad Johan Botha (capt), Mark Cosgrove, Tom Cooper, Callum Ferguson, Travis Head, Trent Lawford, Jake Lehmann, Tim Ludeman, Gary Putland, Alex Ross, Chadd Sayers, Shaun Tait, Nick Winter, Adam Zampa.
Victoria squad Matthew Wade (capt), Fawad Ahmed, Scott Boland, Daniel Christian, Jake Haberfield, Peter Handscomb, Jon Holland, David Hussey, Alex Keath, Clint McKay, Rob Quiney, Ryan Sidebottom, Marcus Stoinis, Chris Tremain, Cameron White.
Western Australia squad Adam Voges (capt), Ashton Agar, Cameron Bancroft, Michael Beer, Jason Behrendorff, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Marcus Harris, Michael Klinger, Simon Mackin, Joel Paris, Nathan Rimmington, Craig Simmons, Ashton Turner, Andrew Tye, Sam Whiteman.