Bangladesh v New Zealand, 5th ODI, Mirpur

Rubel, Shakib savour the winning habit

ESPNcricinfo staff

October 17, 2010

Shakib Al Hasan takes a catch to dismiss Brendon McCullum, Bangladesh v New Zealand, 5th ODI, Mirpur, October 17, 2010
Shakib Al Hasan: "The moment the first wicket fell there was a buzz in the field and we believed we could pull it back" © Associated Press

Shakib Al Hasan's all-round brilliance and the dominance of Bangladesh's spinners may be the lasting memories from this series, but today both those factors were reduced to secondary roles. On a day when Bangladesh went one better than the series victory, completing a memorable whitewash against a top opposition, it was Rubel Hossain's abilities with new ball and old that made the difference.

Defending a decidedly under-par 174, Rubel had more than played his part in his opening spell, nipping out New Zealand's top three batsmen in his first three overs. New Zealand's resilience had, however, brought them back into the game and Rubel was called on for the final over against a rampant Kyle Mills, with seven runs to defend.

Rubel would have had a sense of déjà vu as he ran in for that last over. When Mills slammed the first ball for four, Rubel would have remembered the fateful tri-series final against Sri Lanka last year, in the same ground, when Muttiah Muralitharan's targeted onslaught against him in the batting Powerplay stopped Bangladesh inches short of their most memorable cricketing moment.

Things were about to turn out differently today, though. Two inch-perfect yorkers on leg stump followed, the second one cleaning up Mills and sending Mirpur into a frenzy. Rubel later revealed that he never felt the pressure, even after that boundary ball.

"I thought it was only a matter of one good delivery and it never really crossed my mind that we could lose," he said. "The captain also told me that they need four runs and we needed one wicket and that it was my day and he believed I could win the match for Bangladesh."

Shakib would have had a sense of déjà vu of his own; this was not the first time he was taking over the reins from an injured Mashrafe Mortaza to lead his side to a whitewash. The same template had been followed when Bangladesh beat West Indies 3-0 last year. "Maybe you should ask him to get injured in a series again and then we'll try to find out if this formula works every time", Shakib said light-heartedly. "When I bat I don't think of myself as a captain with specific or special responsibilities. I just play my own game. Similarly, when bowling I try to pick the best bowler to bowl in a particular situation and if that bowler happens to be me then I come in."

With four wins this series, Bangladesh have emphatically addressed their previous inability to build on hitherto sporadic victories against top sides. Shakib said it was the winning habit, developed on the back of three authoritative performances, that stood his side in good stead despite a poor total today.

"We didn't have a defendable total and yet the moment the first wicket fell there was a buzz in the field and we believed we could pull this game back our way," Shakib said. "This was a result of the three victories in a row. Often in the past with a similar score I have seen shoulders dropping and the belief disappearing but today we saw what winning teams are made of."

Shakib was also careful enough not to get too caught up in the euphoria of the victory and ignore the areas for improvement. "I still think our top-order batting was not up to the mark as we lost wickets at the wrong times. We want atleast one of the top four batsmen to get to a good score and try to hold the innings together. Apart from the second game where we chased that did not happen in this series.

"The bowling and fielding was satisfactory but you can always improve on that. We also did not execute the Powerplays very well and often we found ourselves with too many wickets down when the last Powerplay arrived. Ideally you should have five or six wickets in hand when the final Powerplay starts."

The 4-0 scoreline brought Bangladesh within a few decimal points of toppling West Indies from the eighth spot in the ODI ratings. The upcoming series against Zimbabwe will give them a chance to push ahead and Shakib knew the importance of that tour.

"We should definitely continue working hard and prepare for the next series against Zimbabwe in December," he said. "They are a much improved side and although we have had a stranglehold over them in the last few years the matches often have been quite competitive. They are also playing pretty well in South Africa although the results haven't gone their way."

Posted by Bass_Man on (October 19, 2010, 11:15 GMT)

To all people who still claim Bangladesh is a minnow and lowly .......hope this result has caught your eye....and from a famous quote by a cricinfo commentator to all these people "TAKE THAT AND PARTY"

Posted by Bass_Man on (October 19, 2010, 11:11 GMT)

New Zealand Cricket Teams Downfall :Made in Bangladesh.

Great effort by the Kiwis in the last 2 games. Lucky for them one of the games was washed out.

Hail the tigers!

Posted by sanin on (October 18, 2010, 18:00 GMT)

I must say County Cricket has polished SHAKIB AL HASAN really well, he is more patient than before. His is more matured by playing 1 or 2 matches in county league, i wonder what would happen if BCB can arrange several matches against county clubs.

Posted by   on (October 18, 2010, 16:42 GMT)

This is a small step for BGD cricket, we need to continue to play competetive cricket consistently. We are a young team that continues to develop, we have to keep the core(shakib, tamim,junaid, mahmadullah, rubel, shafiul, mushy) together as a unit for next five years and the icc rankings will have BGD in the top 5. Forget Ash, he is not the future of cricket in Bangladesh. Outside of Shakib and Tamim I don't feel other players can play in county. But BCCI should set up tours in the UK/australia/SA against county teams to get experience in between tours.Bangladesh domestic league is not good for our national team players because that league is too weak and it doesn't have the level of competition needed at the national level, it sets them up with bad habits. Coach Siddons should be more involved in our domestic league to scout for good talent, he has a better eye than our selectors and BCCI should pay him the extra money for him to do this, he needs to be highly involved.

Posted by sanin on (October 18, 2010, 15:35 GMT)

I can see a fellow reader has pointed out an excuse, he wrote 'This series has been more a case of NZ not adapting to the conditions and getting worse, rather than Bangladesh getting a lot better".

Well obviously BD is a very brittle team when matches are played overseas.....but thanks a lot now i would try to calm myself when BD players don't perform overseas by saying "" its more of case of BD not adapting to condition rather ran NZ being a very good team"''''

Posted by   on (October 18, 2010, 14:10 GMT)

As per ICC ODI ranking (Alrounder cat) before the NZ series Shakib's point was 382 but after the NZ series Shakib's point's still showing 382.Now tell me where is the update of Shakib's point.Authority should look in to the matter.

Posted by ProdigyA on (October 18, 2010, 13:42 GMT)

@banglamade. easy buddy easy. i know this is the first time that Bdesh has a won a series so relax and savour the moment. Dont get too cocky and start making ridiculous comments. Deep down in your heart you know exactly where b'desh stands. So take it easy dude. As far as the win goes, yes it is truely an achievement, 4-0 whitewash against a full strength NZ team is not a joke, so well done Bdesh. This is boost their confidence a lot for the WC.

Posted by Inaz on (October 18, 2010, 10:39 GMT)

as a srilankan bangla fan, I have been waiting for this sort of a performance from bangla. @ Meety, its a good team mate, but where is rubel hussain. I had been following bangla domestic cricket as well. One guy who deserves a spot in this team is Shuvagato Hom, he is a consistent performer for Dhaka. Because its too late to make changes before world cup, BCC selectors have to consider Hom after world cup. also waiting to see anamul haque playing for bangla. Watching him playing, he is little master who has the talent to rewrite the record books.

Posted by nipun027 on (October 18, 2010, 10:04 GMT)

Congratz 2 Bangladesh team 4 their xcellent per4mance in the series. i think there should b some changes in the line up. I would prefer Alok Kapali replacing Raquibul. Bcoz Raquibul hasn't per4med well enough 2 retain his place in the 1day team. So it's better 2 have Kapali replacing him. Kapalis' leg spin ability will gve BD a newer variation in the team. I will also prefer Aftab in the team replacing Junaid. Mushfiq will bat at 3 and Aftab will b at 7. This will give Bangladesh a chance to have a big hitter for batting powerplay. When Tamim and Masrafee will b fit 2 play, they will replace Imrul and Shafiul. I also do support that BD players should look 2 play in English/Australian/SA counties rather than IPL. Bcoz IPL will gve them only money bt not improve their ability 2 play in all version of cricket which the county will provide. But I still do believe that Shakib and Tamim will have a good offer in the IPL. Bt they also must focus for county cricket 2 improve their game.

Posted by mits6 on (October 18, 2010, 8:44 GMT)

@banglamade ........unnecessary comment on a bad one

Posted by   on (October 18, 2010, 8:30 GMT)

What a series we have had!! I knew it was coming the way we were playing in last one year or so. I have lots of friends in England and you know I was bullied by the most of the English people here and surprisingly most were coming from the British Bangladeshis. Great job done by Shakib and co. Board needs to decide whether he is the best man to lead the country for long term, if Mashrafe hasnt got any complain on this.I dont think anyone should complain about Mashrafe's captaincy as I personally belive he hasnt got enough chance to prove himself as a captain. Only one concern regarding Shakib, he has been invloved making his own group in the team. Just to let you know Shakib, we dont want any faction in the team and we dont want to be Pakistan as a cricket playing nation. Whole hearted congratulation to the team. Bring on the World Cup!!!

Posted by   on (October 18, 2010, 7:57 GMT)

totally agree with shahidullah khandaker on not going on over IPL, i dont have anything for or against it but i do believe if some1 wanna do some good in his performance and learn something he shud go to for county ..on the other hand IPL is so fixed of a league with easy money and all can ruin a player from top to toe..never want that for any of bd players let alone shakib or tamim :)

Posted by sachin_vvsfan on (October 18, 2010, 7:29 GMT)

Shakib is a match winner.I don't understand why he is always underrated and ignored. It is probably because he is an allrounder. He doesn't get much credit like his colleagues ashraful , mortaza who are inconsistent. Hope his peformances are well rewarded with IPL contract.

Posted by saif_bd007 on (October 18, 2010, 7:10 GMT)

@amdtelrunya,

So you should agree with me too that NZ have done extremely well in home conditions only and only due to not other teams appling them in NZ conditions???

So far BANGLADESH has horrible memories in NZ just for the conditions not the NZ team?

Posted by saladin3 on (October 18, 2010, 6:28 GMT)

Congrats to Bangladesh cricket team! We have achieved a new mile stone. but shouldn't get carried away. This should be the beginning of an new era for BD cricket. Important thing is our fast bowlers r performing well even on slow,spinning wicket. We can't rely on spin every time everywhere. Hopefully players understand that they still have to improve a lot to become a strong cricket team. !

Posted by googletalk on (October 18, 2010, 5:35 GMT)

Congratulations to Bangladesh. Hope they will not be complacent and will be trying even harder from now on. Hard luck for NZ, they were in wrong time at wrong place, probably any other team would struggle playing against Bangladesh at this time,at their own ground. NZ must realize that they need to improve their playing in few areas, which I am sure they would do. As much as I am happy tiger's win as a Bangladeshi, my well wishing for Vettori's team.

Posted by banglamade on (October 18, 2010, 5:30 GMT)

@Nirav Upadhyay- Dont worry,when we will smash india again in next world cup,u would rather get speechless......Then u will c tht BD is indeed bad for cricket......"Cricket of india". I can still remember how indian ppl performed ur players' funeral after tht loss....History will b rewritten again :)(:

Posted by Meety on (October 18, 2010, 5:20 GMT)

The other aspect that has been pleaseing for Banga - is the improvement of Kayes & Siddique. I think Siddique is developing into a very good Test player - not quite sure if he knows how to play ODIs. Kayes is the other way around, he is forming a good career in ODIs (needs more improvement), but is not doing enough in Tests (batting average below 20 still I think). Throw in Nafees who 3 years ago was where Tamim is today, if he can be at his best The wobbly top order that the Bangars once had will start to have some sort of solidity. The question the selectors have to wor kout is the mix of the team. They have some really good spin bowling all -rounders which creates options, do they rely on Mahmudullah to bowl 10 overs or be a batsman that can send down 5 or 6 overs? My Bangar side would be (50/50 format), 1. Tamim, 2. Nafees, 3. Kayes (Sheet anchor role), 4. R Hasan/J Islam 5. Shakib, 6. Mahmudullah, 7. Rahim, 8. Mortaza (if fit), 9. Shuvo, 10. Shafiful, 11. Razzak.

Posted by soaf on (October 18, 2010, 5:18 GMT)

top class performace from bangladesh.they really are the new emerging power of world cricket.with these great strides i think they seem to be a better unit than the pathetic pakistani team and very soon they will surpass pakistani team.as a pakistani i fee ashamed that unfortunately we dont have any batsman of shakibs calibre and the recent pakistani batting are of school cricket standard.best of luck to bangladesh for the future.a fan from pakistan

Posted by late_tanim on (October 18, 2010, 5:05 GMT)

Nirav Upadhyay -- sorry but i don't understand y u r telling that this is bad for cricket !

Posted by Meety on (October 18, 2010, 5:03 GMT)

I can't believe it! I was predicting a confident Bang would lose 3-2, (I have a few kiwi friends that thought I was off my rocker that the Bangars would win 2). I was confident they would do well as there is a platform building. As an Aussie I have to say that Siddons must get some kudos for gelling his team together. I think they are more professional now. I am a big fan of Tamim & Shakib. When Murali retired he nominated Harbhajan as the only player likely to pass his Test wicket taking record. I think Shakib could do it if 2 things happen; 1) Bang improve enough so that Shakib bowls twice in a test more often, 2) He stays fit & healthy. Shakib is a star & the County stint proved that. I agree with another blogger that he should be drafted somewhere into the IPL, Tamim should also be there. In naming Shakib & Tamim, I also have to say that Mahmudullah is a very big talent & could replicate Shakib's feats - hence 2 world class all-rounders. Also believe that Rahim is a world class w/k

Posted by   on (October 18, 2010, 4:53 GMT)

Watched the 4th and 5th ODI staying awake all night (US time) then went to work in the morning. It was tough for me, but it was worth it. However, it cannot be stressed any futher that we cannot keep on winning on opponent's failure. The top order batsmen have to learn to step up. Leg side bowling and long hops should be minimum. Soon enough we should meet the big boys and take our place among them. Go Tigers!

Posted by Naru-12 on (October 18, 2010, 4:38 GMT)

Well done team Bangladesh....Well deserved win.....good to watch these young guys playing a superb game. Thans to Cricinfo for bringing the game live thru the scorecard & commentary.

Posted by   on (October 18, 2010, 4:22 GMT)

kudos shakib....you were brilliant ans so were others

Posted by   on (October 18, 2010, 3:38 GMT)

So far so good,but we must show same result against Zimbabwe,Now a days they are very good side to beat.Please convey my feeling's to BD Cricket team

Posted by   on (October 18, 2010, 3:36 GMT)

Sakib is the brainchild of success for Bangladesh and he should remain captain of Bangladesh

Posted by evenflow_1990 on (October 18, 2010, 2:32 GMT)

take nothing away from bangladesh - superb performance. few teams can defend a total of 174.

Posted by   on (October 18, 2010, 2:26 GMT)

Well done Bangladesh,but be very very carefull when we are facing Zimbabwe in December.They are very improved side,if we do'nt do good with them or any minow's then question will again come about our ability to perform at the top level.Player's like Ashraful should be given chance in place of Rakibul Hassan against ZIM,for our final selection for W

Posted by   on (October 18, 2010, 2:03 GMT)

Well played Bangladesh, however being an admirer of the new zealand team it really saddens me to see the way they perform, the batting is really a big concern the fast bowling department has been a bit up and down at times. The most consistent player on this team is undoubtedly their skipper Daniel Vettori I really feel sorry for the bloke he probably has one of the most challenging jobs on his hands handling this young team. What is even more disappointing, is that some of the more experianced players are not standing up and performing well on a consistent basis.New Zealand at the moment are at the same level as the west indies team performance wise, in that on any given day they can beat anybody and at the same time on any given day anybody can beat them. This is a big concern, but their is hope that one day this young team is going to pick up the pieces and one day become one of the the top 2 nations in world cricket alongside pakistan. In the meantime kudos to bangladesh well done.

Posted by bdcricfan21 on (October 18, 2010, 1:02 GMT)

BANGLAWASH baby!!!!Man am I enjoying this guys. What a performance by the ICEMAN. I truly hope that this is the start of a new era and not another random flash of brilliance like we saw in 2007 world cup. With that being said, some points I'd like to make: raquibul is not an ODI cricketer( his average of 30 is misleading) and zuanid is not a middle order ODI bastmen. I think Zunaid would be better utilized at #7 for batting PP (he is an excellent striker of the ball). Mushfiqur must bat higher up the order; he is the kind of batsmen who can anchor an innings, and I feel he can do better at 3. Batting PP must improve-we need specialized PP batsmen. My world cup line up: 1.Tamim 2.Imrul 3.Mushfiq 4.Nafees 5.Riyad 6.shakib (you have left right combo)7. zunaid/ashraful/nazimuddin 8.naeem/shuvo 9.mashrafee 10.razzak 11.rubel/shafiul. With this line up, you have match winners in Tamim, nafees, shakib, and guys who can anchor innings like Mushfiq, riyad, imrul and some firepower at the end

Posted by bigbang07 on (October 18, 2010, 0:37 GMT)

Congrats to the Bangladeshi's! Savour the series for having played very well, been rooting for you guys to do well for ages. Hope that you put a good show for the World Cup!!

Posted by   on (October 17, 2010, 23:50 GMT)

4-0, Clean sweep :D 'Bangla Washed' according 2 Atahar Ali Khan. So Definitely '4' Cheers 4 da BD Boyz Hip Hip Hip Hip Hurray. @ Khaled why not da other way ??? they had beaten India & scoring biggies against S/A. So don't u think dat DEY will be a bit overconfident against a full strength BD Boyz ??? @ Sanin point well shown, i Do also believe Dat in the coming IPL dere would be a lot of Buzz around these BD Boyz, but i hope dat dey will not run after easy money & respect their cricket & show the patriotic heroism of staying 'fresh' for the next series of International Cricket. @ Maestro_ I am pretty sure NZ r gonna fight real hard against India caz we all know nothing is more dangerous than a wounded Pride :), @ Sabbir I thought that guy didn't deserve any attention at all :( Thnx to Praxis, Vipul Patki, Maysun18, Sachin Khairnar, Maestro_, Lara71, SheffieldStar, MarkM33 for their comments & a special thnx to Thomas Andrew Blandford for such a wonderful comment, probably the best. :D

Posted by shovwar on (October 17, 2010, 23:44 GMT)

@ SHAHADAT SHAJIB I truly agree wit u bout Ashraful. He is the best to watch and can destroy an attack single handedly on his day.. He should be in the WC team as a senior player. He might not be that consistent but still he is the X factor in BD team. And a player like him brings a special punch in a team. When the team is down we can look up on 1 man n he is Ashraful. In my WC team I would not have 3 seamers.. I would rather have 4 spinners like this series. Thats our strenght at home ground...If the WC were in the West I wouldve prefered 3 seamers.....Here is my Team: 1.Tamim, 2.Nafees,3. Kayes, 4.Ashraful, 5.Sakib, 6.Mushfiq, 7.Mahmud, 8.Mashrafe, 9.Razzak, 10.Rubel, 11.Shuvo. N Xtras: 12.Naeem. 13. Shafiul. 14. Junaid. 15. Kapali......The break might spurr up Ashraful so its a great time to bring him back n unleash him lol

Posted by   on (October 17, 2010, 23:16 GMT)

When I wrote my last comment on Bangladesh, I used up all my 1000 characters. So, I want to add something here. I think Bangladeshi players need to play in the English county cricket to improve their quality. I urge them not to accept any offer from IPL should they get one in the near future. Bangladeshi batsmen need to learn how to play high-paced short-balls that can swing in English conditions. This will help them when they tour England, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. Bangladesh Cricket Board also needs to schedule the team's future schedules intelligently. Please, do NOT schedule matches in England, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand during their winter season. Then you are setting your team up for a failure. In case scheduling option is NOT available, please arrange as many practice matches (1st class matches with local club teams) as possible before the real series. If Bangladesh follows my suggestions, then inshallah they will rank in the top 4 within 2 years.

Posted by   on (October 17, 2010, 23:13 GMT)

Lead by Captain Fantastic- Shakib Al Hassan- Bangladesh have done what many outside of Bangladesh would have thought unimaginable a week ago- clean sweep New Zealand 4-0!!! Well done Tigers and congrats!!!!!

Posted by   on (October 17, 2010, 22:58 GMT)

Excellent series for Bangladesh, but they have some weaknesses to work on. Their tail end is so fragile that their team can not depend on them to make use of the last 5 overs of batting power play. This ugly truth manifested itself in a very rude fashion in the 5th ODI against New Zealand. Bangladesh cricket selection team and the coaches have to address this problem. Top order batting needs to click too. Bangladesh terribly missed Tamim and Ashraful. Junaid and Raqibul don't deserve to play in best 11. Although Bangladesh improved a lot in fielding, they still need a lot of practice. Dropped catches, missed run-out and stumping opportunities must have a zero tolerance in the team. The coaches must single them out from the rest, and punish the culprits with a very harsh and rigorous training sessions for 'fielding'. If they do what I am suggesting, then I think they can easily beat India and South Africa without a doubt in their WC group matches; and may be even Australia in the final.

Posted by   on (October 17, 2010, 22:24 GMT)

shabash BANGLADESH !!!!!!! simply awesome!!!!! congratulations to Bangladesh cricket. Its stunning to watch the spirit BD showed in this series. Tigers are roaring in the world cricket. Who's going to be the next NZ???

Posted by smudgeon on (October 17, 2010, 21:42 GMT)

I'm over the moon to see Bangladesh take the series without a loss. I'm sad for NZ, of course (one of the few teams that still play with the right spirit, even if they are kind of rubbish at the moment). Despite the white-wash, every game was intriguing and the outcome was difficult to predict. Somebody give Shakib the Bangladeshi equivalent of a knighthood - his (and that of Mushfiqur, Tamim, Razzak and Nafees) value to the development of cricket in Bangladesh is beyond measure. Give 'em a few more years and they'll have dispensed with the easy-beat tage, mark my words - a young, talented bunch won't stay down for long.

Posted by SupernDutta on (October 17, 2010, 21:28 GMT)

Very well done BANGLADESH.... Victory well deserved and much awaited...Great to see another Asian team coming UP..

Posted by   on (October 17, 2010, 21:17 GMT)

I'm so happy for Bangladesh. They are just so likable.

Posted by MarkM33 on (October 17, 2010, 20:41 GMT)

Well done to Bangladesh!! A well-deserved series win - completely outlplayed the NZ team

While it is good to win a series like this so convincingly against a team that has been ranked in the top 3 or so in recent years, keep in mind that this is a rubbish NZ team. There are only 3, maybe 4, players who are any good internationally(Vettori, Taylor, Mills) at the moment. McCullum is poos, Elliot has a good game every 4th or 5th game and the new guys (Williamson's ton excluded) don't know how to play at international level.

This is not a NZ team capable of being ranked any higher than 6 or 7 internationally and probabl deserve to be ranked 8th or lower.

Well done Bangladesh!!

Posted by   on (October 17, 2010, 20:28 GMT)

Bangladesh deserve a series win like this. They are not a bad side at all. Lots of good talent, and they work hard. Remember when they came to England earlier this summer? There were glimpses of brilliance, especially with Tamim (who was injured this series, and they won without him). The ODI they won was superb. Shakib Al Hasan is a great leader and a great all-rounder, and I believe his County stint at Worcestershire has helped him, and I hope he continues to play County Cricket. That said, a few more Bangladeshi players playing English County Cricket will help them develop their game further. Furthermore they're going in the right direction as it stands. This is excellent news!

Yes I am English, but I support and enjoy watching Bangladeshi Cricket. They are a good side, and they will get better. I'm certain of that. I hope you Bangladeshi fans celebrate because you all deserve it! Athar Ali Khan called this a "Banglawash", and you know something? I'll raise a toast to that!

Posted by sheffieldstars on (October 17, 2010, 20:20 GMT)

Well played Bangladesh, bye a pak fan :)

Posted by amdtelrunya on (October 17, 2010, 20:10 GMT)

Being an NZ cricket fan is trying at the best of times, but this takes the cake. This series has been more a case of NZ not adapting to the conditions and getting worse, rather than Bangladesh getting a lot better. Sure they have Tamim (injured) and Shakib who are class, and basically win most of their matches for them. But NZ players, particularly Ryder and McCullum, wre dreadful, and where was Mills most of the time, he used to be the world no. 1 ODI bowler for crying out loud. Big congrats to Bangladesh, but really, unless the experienced players stand up, this NZ team is sliding down a big, overhyped slope pretty fast.

Posted by   on (October 17, 2010, 19:31 GMT)

Ian Pont- the new BD bowling coach.....seems to have a good bit of impact on our pace attack...:)

Posted by   on (October 17, 2010, 19:07 GMT)

well done bangla desh i lovepakistan but keep it good work

Posted by   on (October 17, 2010, 19:07 GMT)

hats off boys....dis proves that bangladesh are ready to come in the top 5 of world cricket.... we have patiently waited 4 dem all dis years, but now its time for redemption... only worry is d no.3 n no,4 position,,, i think alok kapali n aftab shud get a chance b4 d world cup... good decision by BCB to bring a new bowling and a fielding coach....

Posted by   on (October 17, 2010, 19:01 GMT)

Many many congratz bangladeshi boys!!!!.... Sakib is the perfect captain. WC bd line up should be Tamim,nafiz open the batting. Musfiq can join onedown. than Asraful next sakib next rakibul next riad,razzak,masrafee,rubel,shahadat. i know many ppl bangladesh Hate asraful.... But asraful is class batsman. please don't forgot he make 3/4 times victory our Bangladeshi team. World cup is a big event need senior to play the main teams. Asraful masrafe must include the world cup squad.

Posted by me_rony on (October 17, 2010, 18:58 GMT)

I actually stopped watching the match and fell asleep after the ampire turned down those LBW decisions against vettory and Elliot. Then i woke up and realised what i have missed ! Anyway, i'm not claiming the man of the match award though.......lol

Posted by   on (October 17, 2010, 18:36 GMT)

Bangladesh........... How wonderful game they have played !!! I can't imagine it. I think now we have already entered into a new era of cricket. Best of luck all players of Bangladesh special thanks to Shakib for his outstanding performance.

Posted by   on (October 17, 2010, 18:31 GMT)

@ Nirav Upadhyay, u people have no right to make any comment on the victory of Bangladesh, cause u have already lost the game!!! It's the people like u who can't appreciate good cricket are BAD FOR CRICKET!!! So, next time don't watch cricket and play ludo at home. LOLZ.... ;D.

Again, congrats bd for their historic series win against nz.

Posted by   on (October 17, 2010, 18:29 GMT)

As long as we've seen the last of Ashra-fool, this team should only go from strength to strength...proud to be Bangladeshi!

Posted by lara71 on (October 17, 2010, 18:25 GMT)

Bangalesh i am so proud of the team i am a westindies supporter so i was angry when bangalesh played our weaken team and won but now i can see that bangalesh are a much improved team and deserve the rewards for their hard work

Posted by JTPallab on (October 17, 2010, 18:04 GMT)

This is just the beginning...

Posted by   on (October 17, 2010, 18:00 GMT)

One think has certainly changed for bd cricketers that is they seems to believe in themselves......They believe they can WIN....

Posted by Maestro_of_Cricket on (October 17, 2010, 17:58 GMT)

Congratz Bangladesh! Hope this is just the beginning of a consistent winning run through the WC and beyond. But so saddened to see one of my favorite teams in NZ going down like a pack of cards. Their team weren't a threatening one in world cricket but now seems to have achieved a new low. I can't see how they are going to get themselves through India in the upcoming series. Hope for a better show, though it seems unlikely...

Posted by   on (October 17, 2010, 17:56 GMT)

this is a nailbite to the world cricket......... bangladesh is comming...better watchout

Posted by   on (October 17, 2010, 17:48 GMT)

congratz bd tigers .. well played .. but dey need to improve more ... player like raqibul should be kicked out from team .. i think tamim and nafees should open while kayes should play at number 4 .. although he has scored loads of run at opening position .

raqibul and junayed still a worrie ... fix dem before world cup

Posted by Iftekharul_Hasan_Siam on (October 17, 2010, 17:45 GMT)

my WC bd lineup - tamim, nafees/imrul, alok, rahim, aftab, shakib, riadh, shuvo/naeem, mortaza, rubel/nazmul/shahadat, razzak

Posted by Robofk on (October 17, 2010, 17:45 GMT)

IT is good news CRICKET is dying except in ASIA

Posted by   on (October 17, 2010, 17:44 GMT)

Congrats Bangladesh for the series win against a top opposition for the first time :)

Posted by Iftekharul_Hasan_Siam on (October 17, 2010, 17:42 GMT)

though bangladesh won the match. still some changes in the squad is needed. bangladesh still has the old problem - poor batting. therefore, i think alok kapali & aftab ahmed should be given the chance to prove themselves one more time. i hope we will see them in the upcoming series. because its not possible for shakib to score the highest run for bangladesh in every matches, even sachin tendulkar sometimes gets out without scoring a run. in place of rakibul & zunayed i think alok & aftab should play. hope BCB will think about it seriously.

Posted by Tanvir.. on (October 17, 2010, 17:36 GMT)

i swear it must b 5-0 if the rest 1 should have played.tigers u sometimes become cats....but when u show ur heroic as a tiger no one is allowed to come closer to us....u then r really tigers...proud to be a bangladeshi......

Posted by SheikhZaman on (October 17, 2010, 17:36 GMT)

Totally cool!!! But this team is not blessed with talent. Specially the pacers(Shafiul-does he looks like a pacer?) and Bating department. Raqibul should be kicked off the team and the the guy Imrul Kayes not really a positive cricketer. He plays just to retain his position in the team. We need Tamim and Masrafee(not sure how long he could survive with recurrent injuries).

Posted by QingdaoXI on (October 17, 2010, 17:29 GMT)

win against zimbabawe and overtake west indies from no 8 position this will be the first step to come inside that 8 teams, what again if champion trophy is played between top 8 teams bangladesh will qualify and west indies out. 4 asian teams out of 8.

Posted by   on (October 17, 2010, 17:27 GMT)

we've done it! YES! we've done it! LOVE BANGLADESH! Congrats to our Tigers!!

Posted by mahiiiiii on (October 17, 2010, 17:25 GMT)

hehehe....itz kinda playin wid da nz players..........bamboozled by da spin of bd..... i think bangladesh rank 1st in spin attack .....

Posted by QingdaoXI on (October 17, 2010, 17:18 GMT)

Congrates to Bangladesh cricket team, bangladeshi peoples and for others who follows the cricket of bangaldesh as i follows for my neigbour. I liked the way shakib captain the Bangladesh, he has the ability do take the team in top four soon in coming years. BCB should disscussed with Mortuza and take him in confidence to handover the captaincy to Shakib. because it will help BD to do good in World cup. of course Mortoza is good player not only good but the imp member of BD team, but in teams favour it should be decided. After return of Tamim and giving another chance for asharaful, and come back of aftab will make good batting order. I know ashraful is not performing well but he is so experienced person in team that he will play some good knocks on big occasions. my batting order for Bangladesh. Tamin, Nafees, Kayes, Ashraful, shakib, aftab (He is great hitter i have seen him in T-twenty world cup in 2007 vs West Indies), Mohammadullah, rahim, mortuza, razzaq, rubel. Best of luck

Posted by   on (October 17, 2010, 17:05 GMT)

Kongratz BD, hail from germany

Posted by sanin on (October 17, 2010, 17:00 GMT)

Congratulations to our team. I am bit confused why SAKIB AL HASAN & TAMIM IQBAL not getting any IPL offer? DO the IPL committee put BANGLADESH sand PAKISTAN in same category? I HOPE one of them will play in IPL in the coming IPL season

Posted by maysunaneek on (October 17, 2010, 16:56 GMT)

nice victory! just build on from this platform.

Posted by   on (October 17, 2010, 16:54 GMT)

Hats off to all the BANGLADESHI CRICKETER and specially SHAKIB-AL-HASAN who lead our country. Though Bangladesh won todays match so some wrong will not come to light. I am talking about the umpiring. It was totally poor and unexpected umpiring from ALEEM Dar. I hope this type of faultiness umpiring will be changed from the next match. These type of things remind us the necessity of REVIEW system.

Posted by VipulPatki on (October 17, 2010, 16:52 GMT)

Excellent series win! Bangladesh can definitely bask in this accomplishment. Four wins is not a flash in a pan.

Posted by   on (October 17, 2010, 16:46 GMT)

Ha Ha we won!!! I like the captaincy...Keep it up Shakib, We believe in You.

Posted by Bengali-Tiger007 on (October 17, 2010, 16:42 GMT)

What a series and what a team of just young players. I have never seen an all-rounder captain like shakib before, he is just a legend. Top run scorer, wicket taker and also man of the series. It was a team effort ofcourse, but every good team has a special player and it doesnt get more special than Shakib. I want to give my thanx to the whole team for making all of us very proud. Can't wait for the Worldcup now!!!!!!!!!!! Joy Bangla.

Posted by Shafaet on (October 17, 2010, 16:39 GMT)

Shakib we are proud of you. When we're older,we'll grow stronger :)

Posted by   on (October 17, 2010, 16:33 GMT)

No comments on Bangladesh....Bad for Cricket........lol

Posted by Praxis on (October 17, 2010, 16:32 GMT)

4-0, still can't believe it. Congratulations to BD cricket team & fans. Now I'm waiting to see what happens with Zimbabwe in the nest series, they seem to have improved a lot.

Posted by gmukhtadir on (October 17, 2010, 16:26 GMT)

Great win, Congrat BD team.

Posted by mits6 on (October 17, 2010, 16:22 GMT)

i wish this match to be won by NZ ...........but anyway bangla deserved this win , played really well

Posted by mahbub_rmn on (October 17, 2010, 16:13 GMT)

congratulation Bangladesh cricket team for winning micomax series 4-0 against New zeaand ,it is first time for BD team ,superb performance ,insaallah we will continue his performance

Posted by RahmanSL on (October 17, 2010, 16:08 GMT)

Heartiest congratultions on well deserved win in the serious with New Zealand to our circket team, coach, management, specially our captain SHAKIB, who lead ,inspired all the member of the team to win the match. How cool SHAKIB, no tense, no hurry, no joy when took cricket and take catches.,

I wish SHAKIB and our all cricketers sucess, healthy and all round performance in the world cricket so that we can paly atleast semi final in the next world CUP.

May Alimighty bless us .

SYED LUTFUR RAHMAN Dhaka.

Posted by   on (October 17, 2010, 16:07 GMT)

Bangladesh should not take Zimbabwe lightly. They are a better side these days. They beat India few days ago. Now playing high scoring matches against South Africa.

Posted by   on (October 17, 2010, 16:05 GMT)

We are really proud for this series, you guys did a great job which we have never seen before. It is just a series, still we have to go a long way. I wish in the coming worldcup we will beat atleast two major opponent who are in world ranking from 2 to 3. I am eagerly waiting for that celebration.

Posted by satanswish on (October 17, 2010, 16:02 GMT)

When one of Bangladesh player said we could win this series 4-0 after just couple of matches, I thought it was an over-confident statement. But they really did it.

Congrats BD for their triumph.

ESPNcricinfo staffClose
Tour Results
Bangladesh v New Zealand at Dhaka - Oct 17, 2010
Bangladesh won by 3 runs
Bangladesh v New Zealand at Dhaka - Oct 14, 2010
Bangladesh won by 9 runs
Bangladesh v New Zealand at Dhaka - Oct 11, 2010
Bangladesh won by 7 wickets (with 60 balls remaining)
Bangladesh v New Zealand at Dhaka - Oct 8, 2010
Match abandoned without a ball bowled
Bangladesh v New Zealand at Dhaka - Oct 5, 2010
Bangladesh won by 9 runs (D/L method)
More results »