Sri Lanka in Bangladesh 2013-14 January 20, 2014

Shamsur Rahman gets Test call-up

shares 30

The Bangladesh selectors picked up Shamsur Rahman and Imrul Kayes as the likely candidates to form the opening pairing with Tamim Iqbal for the first Test against Sri Lanka, which begins on January 27. The batsmen replaced Anamul Haque and Naeem Islam from the previous Test squad that played New Zealand in October.

Shamsur is uncapped in Test cricket but made his ODI debut against New Zealand, scoring 98 in his second game. He has been in the fringes of the senior side for a long time (he was also sent in as a replacement for Shakib-Al-Hasan during Bangladesh's tour to England in 2010). Recently, he smashed 267 in the domestic first-class tournament.

Imrul has played 16 Tests averaging 17.15, but he has returned on the back of a first-class century and his good run for Bangladesh A as well as in the domestic competitions.

Naeem was justifiably dropped as the selectors went with Marshall Ayub at No 3, and decided that they need a back-up for Shamsur in the opening position. Chief selector Faruque Ahmed was happy to pick the two experienced openers whose form has been better than Anamul's in the last six months. Anamul played the last two Bangladesh Tests against New Zealand, aggregating just 50 runs.

"Shamsur Rahman and Imrul Kayes have been picked over Naeem Islam and Anamul Haque because their form over the last six months has certainly been a factor," Faruque said. "The team management will decide who among these two will play. We have kept a back-up opener. Our input will be there if the management wants to know why we picked them both.

"I still feel Bijoy [Anamul Haque] has a lot of potential. He was the best option when the selectors last picked a Test team. But over the last six months, some experienced batsmen have done better. He can play Test matches, but right now, we have picked some in-form batsmen."

Mahmudullah's bowling ability helped him get picked over Naeem, Faruque said. "We considered Mahmudullah's bowling ahead of Naeem as we consider these two and Nasir as similar players," he said.

"Naeem did well in the last ODI series. He is still in our thoughts. We have also thought about three left-handers in the Sri Lankan line-up, giving the captain an extra offspin option with Sohag Gazi, which we think Mahmudullah can do in Test cricket."

Among the bowlers, Al-Amin Hossain, who debuted against New Zealand, was retained. He will accompany Robiul Islam and Rubel Hossain, a pair from whom much is expected having shown glimpses of good form last year. Sohag Gazi and Abdur Razzak will vie for the second spinner's slot beside Shakib, with Gazi being the frontrunner.

Imrul, Al-Amin and Mahmudullah are not automatic contenders for the playing XI on January 27, but all three have shown they can contribute having been in decent batting or bowling form.

Mohammad Isam is ESPNcricinfo's Bangladesh correspondent. He tweets here

• POSTED BY musfiqur.mishu on | January 21, 2014, 21:05 GMT

My best IX is 1.Tamim 2. Shamsur 3. Imrul 4. Mominul 5. Shakib 6. Mushfiqur 7.Nasir 8. Mahmudullah 9. S. Gazi 10.Robiul/al-amin 11. Rubel. I think this is the best IX For the first test imrul because he is lefty and he has scored more run than mashrall and in bcl he comes to bat @ 1st wickets he played very good there. I don't think it will be good to choice Marshall instead of imrul. Mahmudullah has a good bcl with bowl and bat . highest wicket taker of the tournament. he is better than razzak and he can bat + he can bowl too. I prefer rubel as a key bowler and he should pick without any tension and I prefer robioul instead of al-amin but selectors have to think about that i think robioul is good then al-amin. I hope Bangladesh will have a good series with Sri Lanka. I stay in Germany but I am a true cricket lover and true Bangladesh fans.

• POSTED BY on | January 21, 2014, 8:53 GMT

I think BCB selector has been selected best team ever. All are talent player they selected for each position. Although some of BD supporters expecting Nayeem in best fourteen. Mahmudullah replace for Nayeem. Mahmudullah could be cover two side bowling as well as batting. In my opinion, I was not expecting Razzak, I thought Forhad Rera should in for his recent performance. Sakib could be cover for Razzak. Although selector included Razzak but I don't think you could be BD best 11. I am expecting minimum outcome draw instead of lose first test.

• POSTED BY Dhali_BD_Fan on | January 20, 2014, 19:55 GMT

Naeem Islam and Mithun Ali are both excellent players. But the only person I see in this sqaud to replace any one of them with is Marshall. I can understand how difficult the selections must be. Looking forward to seeing everyone perform as a team and being competitive. We can win these matches, we need to try. The bowlers need to bring up their game and take 10 wickets!! Angelo is in sub-lime form right now, in all three departments, he is growing to be a good Captain - am impressed!

• POSTED BY on | January 20, 2014, 18:55 GMT

Justifiably dropped? What has Naeem done though? He would have been a better pick instead of Imrul Kayes. So anyway I see Tamim, Shamsur, Ayub, Mominul, Shakib, Mushfiq, Nasir, Razzak/Mahmudullah (the latter probably though), Gazi, Robiul, Rubel/ Al-amin (most likely the latter although i would have loved to see Nazmul back).

• POSTED BY mishu01710 on | January 20, 2014, 18:35 GMT

Fair selection, but really missing Naeem Islam who has rich FC and Test records as a Bangladeshi batsman. I hope he will get chance from 2nd test. As my view technically Naeem is far better than Mahmudullah and Nasir. Also he is a genuine top order batsman not similar like Mahmudullah and Nasir. It's a request to selectors to keep their eyes on Farhad Reza, Farhad Hossain and Subashis Roy also.

• POSTED BY on | January 20, 2014, 18:29 GMT

I like the idea of shakil i do think they should include forhad reza. this guy is scoring plenty of runs and taking wickets with his medium pace. BD doesn't have any medium pace alrounder for test and he could be a very good selection for the team. I would let Mahmudullah play at 3 instead of Marshal b/c marshal plays better in the middle order. but overall it's fine. Tamim, Shamsur, Marshal, Mominul, Shakib, Rahim, Nasir, Mahmudullah, Gazi, Rubel, Robiul. I would take Forhad reza instead of rubel or Marshal or Mahmudullah b/c we need a pace alrounder in test who can bat and bowl

• POSTED BY BDTigerz4ever_786 on | January 20, 2014, 18:10 GMT

Addition of Mahmudullah is pretty logical, i don know why people are complaining about him, he's recently in good form (got 7 wckts in BCL) and his batting will be a bonus boost for lower order as-well..

And, I drop of Naeem Islam is quite unfortunate as there's no space for him in team (except marshall ayub not imrul as he's an opener) if Marshall ayub fails in 1st test Naeem should be automic pick over Marshall for second test

INSHALLAH we will win the test series never lose hope trust in ALLAH go tigerz!!!

• POSTED BY mainul079080 on | January 20, 2014, 16:56 GMT

Really liked the selection of Shamsur and Imrul over Anamul. But Razzaq is out of form and a leg spinner in Noor Hossain could have been given chance. And @Hasan Mahmood Shourav mentioned about Farhad Reza. Yes that could have a great idea and Farhad is in very good form with the bat. And i want to thank Pakistan here to demoralise Srilanka after that unpredictable win. Otherwise i was very afraid of the way Lankans were playing.

• POSTED BY on | January 20, 2014, 16:53 GMT

Naeem and Reza could have been called.hasib9 choose a balanced team.1. Tamim, 2. Shamsur, 3. Ayub, 4. Mominul, 5. Mushfiq, 6. Shakib 7. Nasir, 8. Mahmudullah 9. Gazi, 10. Robiul, 11. Al-Amin

• POSTED BY ketaann on | January 20, 2014, 16:41 GMT

where is mortaza? Razzaq is very good choice than enamul haq jnr.

• POSTED BY musfiqur.mishu on | January 21, 2014, 21:05 GMT

• POSTED BY on | January 21, 2014, 8:53 GMT

• POSTED BY Dhali_BD_Fan on | January 20, 2014, 19:55 GMT

• POSTED BY on | January 20, 2014, 18:55 GMT

• POSTED BY mishu01710 on | January 20, 2014, 18:35 GMT

• POSTED BY on | January 20, 2014, 18:29 GMT

• POSTED BY BDTigerz4ever_786 on | January 20, 2014, 18:10 GMT

• POSTED BY mainul079080 on | January 20, 2014, 16:56 GMT

• POSTED BY on | January 20, 2014, 16:53 GMT

• POSTED BY ketaann on | January 20, 2014, 16:41 GMT

where is mortaza? Razzaq is very good choice than enamul haq jnr.

• POSTED BY Bangladesh_Forever on | January 20, 2014, 16:38 GMT

I don't understand the policy of always playing two left arm spinners (Shakib & Razzak) especially when Razzak is out of form. Why not use Naeem as another off-spinner in Razzak's place especially when opposition have too many lefty batters. Naeem's batting would be bonus...

• POSTED BY Bangladesh_Forever on | January 20, 2014, 16:26 GMT

It's a positive sign Imrul earning back test selection. Congrats to Shamsur for his rightful selection too. Selectors played it safe though by not making too much changes in bowling. Farhad Reza, having been a consistent performer long enough recently, really deserved a place in this squad.

• POSTED BY on | January 20, 2014, 15:24 GMT

a great mistake is not to take farhad reza....he could be a great choice for a fast bowling all rounder where srilanka is struggling with fast bowlers..drop razzak, in farhad. drop imrul,in nayeem.....

• POSTED BY hasib9 on | January 20, 2014, 15:15 GMT

I would have picked Farhad Reza instead of Rubel Hussain. But overall, the team looks strong enough to win. This is probably what the lineup is going to be like: 1. Tamim, 2. Shamsur, 3. Ayub, 4. Mominul, 5. Mushfiq, 6. Shakib (use Mominul at times to give Shakib some rest), 7. Nasir, 8. Mahmudullah (he earned his spot back for his smashing form), 9. Gazi, 10. Robiul, 11. Al-Amin

• POSTED BY on | January 20, 2014, 12:09 GMT

Tamim,Shamsur,Marshal,Mominul,Mushfiq,Shakib,Nasir,Gazi,Mahmadullah/Razzak/alamin,Robiul,Rubel looks like the probable playing XI. I still feel bad for Nayeem though. He is a perfect test player. But Marshal deserves to play after all these domestic performance. And Mahmadullah is a better option since he is a better bowler and our bowling is pretty mediocre apart from gaz and shak.

• POSTED BY android_user on | January 20, 2014, 12:06 GMT

Remember How akram khan went mad after Tamim wasn't selected for Asia Cup? I am at the same stage now. And I have an exam today.

• POSTED BY android_user on | January 20, 2014, 12:04 GMT

1.Tamim 2.Shamsur 3.Marshall/Mamudullah 4.Mominul 5.Shakib 6.Mushfiq 7.Nasir 8.Rubel 10. Robiul 11.Razzak If anything besides this is picked, I ain't staying up all night. Naeem 's selection not justified.

• POSTED BY android_user on | January 20, 2014, 11:46 GMT

I won't be surprised if Naeem gets a call up for the second test

• POSTED BY bdsmaruf on | January 20, 2014, 11:13 GMT

taijul at least deserve a chance in stead of razzak. bad selection for bowling squad. mithun, forhad reza, should be under eye of the selectors. I am seeing a good pipeline for batting line up except pace bowling and pace bowling allrounder. bcb should more take care pace bowler/allrounder.

• POSTED BY Tiger_The_Hunter on | January 20, 2014, 9:53 GMT

@Rafelgibt, recent performance of Enamul Jr. is really poor, specially in BCL. In fact he missed the golden opportunity....

• POSTED BY Tiger_The_Hunter on | January 20, 2014, 9:18 GMT

Totally agreed with facebook user (January 20, 2014, 8:41 GMT), but we can think about al-amin instead of rubel (although impact of both will be minimum on the game). It wouldn't be a great idea to include another spinner, specially toothless Razzak, against team like Sri lanka. Rather increasing batting strength (with Riyad @ 8th) might be effective in tricky batting conditions. With this line up, we could have nine strong batsmen. Robiul, Rubel/Al-amin, Shakib, Gazi & Riyad are ok bowling options with some additional part-timers.

• POSTED BY Rafelgibt on | January 20, 2014, 9:15 GMT

Why Abdur Razzak once again???Why not Enamul Haq Jnr??? Otherwise the team is really a balanced one.......

• POSTED BY Rafelgibt on | January 20, 2014, 9:05 GMT

While our best spinner Shohag Gazi fails to create impression on flat tracks against the NZ batsmen then how come Mahmudullah can do anything better against SL as a spinner???If Imrul gets into the team for his batting then whats wrong with Enamul Jnr as last 3 years he has been the best bowlers in National League.Really feeling sorry for Naeem.

• POSTED BY on | January 20, 2014, 8:41 GMT

We don't need Razzack to play spin this match. Riyad should take his spot. Riyad is good bowling option to stop the runs and take wickets. Especially during test matches, Riyad is a reliable batsmen. Let have some faith in our vice-captain. Now as for Nayeem, where would one put him? Our top order and middle order are insanely packed with batsmen that we KNOW can flesh out a century in any given game. I mean we play Shakib, who used to be the vanguard of Bangladesh's batting line-up, playing as 6th batsmen! Bowling is as always for our test team, weak. Gazi and Shakib are the only two I can see will demoralize the sri lankans, while mominul picks at them during tight pinches and change ups. Imrul has no place on this team other than sub if he's lucky. If there were any practice games vs sri Lanka I would have loved to see the progress he's been boasting about the last 4-5 months. My line up:Tamim, Shamsur, Marshall, Mominul, Mushfiq, Shakib, Nasir, Riyad, Gazi, Rubiul, Rubel.

• POSTED BY skwalid on | January 20, 2014, 8:35 GMT

The squad is ok.But sorry for Nayeem...

• POSTED BY on | January 20, 2014, 8:09 GMT

Rifat: you are right may be your 11 is selected for the first test....

• POSTED BY HatersAreOrdinary on | January 20, 2014, 8:08 GMT

Warm_coffe seems like you are dreaming! Do u think test cricket is that easy! U can play int. test cricket after playing only 2 bcl matches! No mate! It doesnt work that way! Mashrafe is far far away to be match fit for test cricket! Besides at this age its better for him n us not to make him play test cricket! an i am agree with you imrul kayes was a poor choice! Naem shouldnt been dropped! He playe really well against NZ! Still selectors have more knowledge about players current form and skills than us for sure!

• POSTED BY burnt_cow on | January 20, 2014, 7:59 GMT

I understand the selectors considered Mahmudullah's 7 wicket haul in recent BCL match, but he won't playing as specialist spinner. Imrul, Mahmudullah and Al-amin will be left out. Marhsal and Mominul will be at 3 & 4 , so there is no chance for Naeem now. Also the squad is for only 1st Test. Overall, the selection is perfect.

• POSTED BY Warm_Coffee on | January 20, 2014, 7:52 GMT

What a poor choice of bowlers. Sri Lanka are in a role and will crush us with this squad we've picked. Why on earth was Imrul Kayes picked? his test average is even worse than that of Swann's, Bresnan and Broad all whom are bowlers. Razzak and Rubel bowling average - Do the selectors even know what they are? Taijul and Mashrafe would've been the perfect replacements for these mediocre bowlers.

• POSTED BY Riffat on | January 20, 2014, 7:38 GMT

The team seems ok. Nayeem Islam may be the most unfortunate one. Want to see Shamsur opening with Tamim and then Marshall, Momin, Shakib, Mushfiq, Nasir, Gazi, Razzak, Rubel and Rabiul (Ryad 12th man).

• No featured comments at the moment.

• POSTED BY Riffat on | January 20, 2014, 7:38 GMT

• POSTED BY Warm_Coffee on | January 20, 2014, 7:52 GMT

• POSTED BY burnt_cow on | January 20, 2014, 7:59 GMT

• POSTED BY HatersAreOrdinary on | January 20, 2014, 8:08 GMT

• POSTED BY on | January 20, 2014, 8:09 GMT

Rifat: you are right may be your 11 is selected for the first test....

• POSTED BY skwalid on | January 20, 2014, 8:35 GMT

The squad is ok.But sorry for Nayeem...

• POSTED BY on | January 20, 2014, 8:41 GMT