Bangladesh v Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI, Mirpur

Senanayake relishes batting responsibility

Mohammad Isam

February 19, 2014

Sachithra Senanayake and Thisara Perera steered Sri Lanka home, Bangladesh v Sri Lanka, 2nd T20I, Chittagong, February 14, 2014
Sachithra Senanayake: "I think I am a cool guy. I don't take pressure" © AFP

Sachithra Senanayake's two wickets in the first ODI against Bangladesh broke a run of five wicketless matches for him, all played against Pakistan in the UAE two months ago. But Sri Lanka are aware of his value as a spinner and a lower-order batsman, and have persisted with him despite other options.

Senanayake was picked as the specialist spinner ahead of Ajantha Mendis, and proved his worth with the wickets of Nasir Hossain and Mahmudullah in the same over as Bangladesh slipped from 133 for 4 to 133 for 6 in the 29th over. He was also effective earlier in the game with the bat, helping Thisara Perera add 82 runs for the ninth wicket after Sri Lanka had slumped to 67 for 8.

"We have to handle the pressure," Senanayake said. "Pitches here are really nice so we can bat through. If I get a chance, my mission is to bat till the last over. I feel I am lucky to be there in the end. We do basic things with Marvan Atapattu. He wants the bowlers to bat every day. I think because of that the bowlers are batting really well."

Senanayake had recently batted Sri Lanka to a win against Pakistan. With four runs required off five balls, he took a couple off Shahid Afridi before crashing the ball to the point boundary.

There may have been a dearth of wickets, but Senanayake has concentrated on the basics. He attributed it to his mental strength. "I think I am a cool guy. I don't take pressure," he said.

"There isn't any competition. If captain and coaches want to go with me, I am satisfied. It is not a big issue for me. If Ajantha [Mendis] is doing well, he should play."

Mohammad Isam is ESPNcricinfo's Bangladesh correspondent. He tweets here

RSS Feeds: Mohammad Isam

Posted by   on (May 1, 2014, 7:58 GMT)

need specialist batsmen who technically strong and score run with boundary any time like Kumar sangakara

Posted by Fast_Track_Bully on (February 20, 2014, 9:46 GMT)

@Eranga Jayasena. It is more funny that SL bowlers not able to take at least 5 wickets of a no:10 team!!!

Posted by   on (February 20, 2014, 6:35 GMT)

@Fast_track_bully... It is funny that India's specialist bowlers failed collectively to take 10 wickets and even pathetic Dhoni also had to bowl.. guess what still could not escaped.

Posted by Fast_Track_Bully on (February 20, 2014, 4:33 GMT)

It is funny that SL's specialist batsman failed to perform collectively and they escaped with the help of sloggers!

Posted by yohandf on (February 20, 2014, 3:32 GMT)

SL batsmen should make sure that bowlers are not put in hot water too often . they have to take the bat and guide team . Sachitra is a valuable asset in shorter formats . My SL XI for 2nd ODI - Dilshan , Kusal , Sangakkara , Chandimal , Priyanjan , Mathews , Thissara , Sachitra , Malinga , Mendis , Lakmal

Posted by   on (February 20, 2014, 2:34 GMT)

Senanayake is a very intelligent cricketer. He should play all the ODIs & T20s for SL. Good luck for Senanayake.

Posted by   on (February 20, 2014, 1:59 GMT)

and how could we forget the first inning he batted. he came when 5 runs required from 3 balls chasing 312. He defended the first ball. hit a six in the second.

Posted by   on (February 20, 2014, 1:43 GMT)

@Jerryman: Kaushal Silva is not limited overs material. May be Udara Jayasundara who is unknown quantity worth giving a shot at the big stage.

Posted by Rizwanodayar on (February 19, 2014, 18:03 GMT)

Need to chop one batsmen and add specialist spin bowler will make side more balance.

Posted by priceless1 on (February 19, 2014, 17:10 GMT)

if any other spinner should play then it should be Akila Dhananjaya,where is he anyways?

Posted by KingOwl on (February 19, 2014, 16:30 GMT)

I agree with jerryman.Yes, SL should play two spinners. There was a time when Dilshan bowled quite a bit. He does not seem to, these days. So, having a second spinner instead of a seamer will be good.

Posted by jerryman on (February 19, 2014, 13:56 GMT)

SL must play both Senanayake and Mendis in this game . They can strangle the runs in the middle overs and built some pressure to step up the run rate , giving the bowlers a chance to get wickets in the latter stage of the innings . SL top order should avoid playing rash strokes and make the BD bowlers earn their wickets . Good luck and hope it will be an entertaining game .. If Dilshan does not get back to form in the next 2 games , his spot in the Asia Cup should go to Kuashal silva who is in good form at present

Mohammad IsamClose
Tour Results
India v Sri Lanka at Dhaka - Apr 6, 2014
Sri Lanka won by 6 wickets (with 13 balls remaining)
Sri Lanka v West Indies at Dhaka - Apr 3, 2014
Sri Lanka won by 27 runs (D/L method)
New Zealand v Sri Lanka at Chittagong - Mar 31, 2014
Sri Lanka won by 59 runs
England v Sri Lanka at Chittagong - Mar 27, 2014
England won by 6 wickets (with 4 balls remaining)
Netherlands v Sri Lanka at Chittagong - Mar 24, 2014
Sri Lanka won by 9 wickets (with 90 balls remaining)
More results »