Best out of ODIs with hamstring injury
West Indies fast bowler Tino Best has been ruled out of the upcoming ODI series and the one-off Twenty20 against Bangladesh because of a hamstring injury. Jason Holder, an uncapped Barbados fast bowler, has been named as a replacement for Best.
West Indies team physiotherapist CJ Clark said Best's injury was a "Grade 1 lateral hamstring strain".
"Though being able to bowl in the second innings with pain-killing injections, he [Best] will need to return home to Barbados for ongoing treatment and rehabilitation," Clark said. "It is expected that he will be back to full fitness for the Caribbean Twenty20 tournament in January."
Best was a key performer in West Indies' 2-0 victory in the Test series. He took six wickets in Mirpur, including 5 for 24 in the second innings, and 6 for 40 in the second innings of the Khulna Test. He had been troubled by his hamstring on the first day of the second Test and bowled only ten overs in Bangladesh's first innings. Best returned to bowl in the second innings, though, and despite his hamstring trouble he blew Bangladesh away to set up a ten-wicket win.
West Indies coach Ottis Gibson said it was important to the team that Best regained his fitness for assignments next year. "It is unfortunate that Tino will be leaving, after he came back and bowled so well in the second innings of this game," Gibson said. "There is a lot of cricket coming up next year and it will be important for us that he gets himself ready for that cricket."
Best's replacement, Holder, has played 16 first-class matches and is expected to join the squad on Monday. "The selectors have started this policy of looking at giving some of our young players an opportunity at international level to see what they can do," Gibson said. "Jason has done very well with the A-Team, so it's a good opportunity for him to come here and get into the environment to see what it is like, and experience the work ethic required to be successful at this level."