Bangladesh news

Pybus to quit as Bangladesh coach

Firdose Moonda

October 23, 2012

Richard Pybus addressing a press conference, Mirpur, August 29, 2012
Richard Pybus was Bangladesh coach for less than five months © Bangladesh Cricket Board

Richard Pybus has confirmed he will not continue as Bangladesh coach because he feels the terms of his contract and the interference from administration made his position untenable. Pybus had been in the job for about four months, and presided over only the lead up to the World Twenty20 and the tournament itself.

In an interview to ESPNcricinfo, Pybus outlined the reasons for his decision, the root cause being the difference between the terms he agreed with the BCB and the terms that were in the actual contract. Pybus said the BCB wanted him to spend 320 days a year with the Bangladesh team, a commitment he was not ready to make because of family reasons.

The BCB media committee chairman, Jalal Yunus, told ESPNcricinfo that he would only comment on Pybus' claims after a scheduled board meeting, which began at noon in Mirpur.

"The board approached me earlier this year on three occasions to become head coach. I turned them down twice, as I couldn't commit to the amount of time they wanted me to be with the team and in Bangladesh, which was 320 days a year," Pybus said. "I explained that I had family responsibilities that stop me from being away for this amount of time. The third time they approached me, I explained again, in detail, what the issues were.

"I said I could prepare the team in camps, tour with them and be there for all series, but I needed to get home between tours for my family. If they were happy with that, then I could do the job for them. That was when they agreed that I would be able to go home between tours. Their agreement was never made explicit in the contract they presented to me in Dhaka so I refused to sign it. That is the heart of the matter."

Pybus was also upset by how details of his contract with the BCB were revealed to the Bangladesh media. "I got on with the coaching [without a contract] but when details of my contract where leaked to the media and discussed in the public domain, I felt the BCB had made their position clear," he said. "They fundamentally undermined the principles of confidentiality and they went back on their word … They took a confidential contract discussion into the public domain and proceeded to give press statements on it, breaching the privacy and confidentiality expected in contract discussions."

Pybus returned to South Africa after the World Twenty20, in which Bangladesh were knocked out in the first round, and had been in talks to iron out issues with the BCB. Despite numerous emails sent between the two parties, they could not reach consensus.

An additional reason for his decision to quit, Pybus said, was the lack of support he received from the board when he wanted to make certain changes and supplement his coaching with additional information. "I asked for the mandate of authority and responsibility to run the national side without interference from board directors and was given that assurance by board president [Mustafa] Kamal. In reality that was never the case," Pybus said. "My position was undermined consistently by interference from the board, some of whom were not only obstructive, but seemed to be completely ignorant of cricket.

"I couldn't even get the board to sign off on providing healthy sandwiches for the players after training. Players were going down with food poisoning during camps, so I wanted to offer them something better than a fried egg sandwich. I was told I couldn't, because that was all the budget could afford."

During Pybus' tenure, Bangladesh played a series of unofficial matches in Zimbabwe and Trinidad, and won a three-match Twenty20 series against Ireland. They also lost to Scotland, won and lost against Netherlands, and crashed out of the World Twenty20 by losing to New Zealand and Pakistan in the first round.

Firdose Moonda is ESPNcricinfo's South Africa correspondent

RSS Feeds: Firdose Moonda

Posted by   on (October 25, 2012, 13:25 GMT)

@Infrared...Cheers mate! At least you can see the real picture don't understand what's wrong with some people they just need to admit the truth instead of hiding it. Timeless Test is actually the real form of Cricket not 5 day Cricket where most results actually ends up in draws what a waste haha..with timeless tests, it would've even more difficult to get batsman out that's why fans of any sport I should say should read the history of these wonderful sports so they can understand what the game is about.

Posted by TheRisingTeam on (October 25, 2012, 10:03 GMT)

I thought politics behind our Indian team was bad enough but it looks to me that Bangladesh board has problematic people behind the scenes. For a team that is struggling in Cricket this is the last thing you guys need. Hope you succeed in finding a proper coach.

Posted by TheRisingTeam on (October 25, 2012, 10:01 GMT)

I don't know what planet you're living on Legaleagle but your comment was funny. Test Cricket may have survived but so has Golf, Football, Baseball, America Football, Snooker and who knows what else? that's a bit flawed. Ahmed makes a critical but true point that nobody seems interested in watching Test Cricket even shamefully our Indian fans do not even have a clue the importance of Test Cricket let along jamming into stadiums to watch Test Cricket. It may be an important version of the game but an unpopular one.

Posted by   on (October 25, 2012, 9:35 GMT)

@Legaleagle...Hello the guy that once said Afridi is better than Shakib is all I need to hear from someone actually these are facts about test Cricket may be the pinnacle form of game but most people do not really like it old fashion I should say big round hats dressed in whites game mainly of boredom for mainly unemployed or retired cheers :)

Posted by Legaleagle on (October 25, 2012, 1:33 GMT)

@ Ahmed Hussain- this seems like a case of sour grapes: Because Bangladesh is not performing in Test cricket so now it is hated by most people. Your argument doesn't hold water because even today test cricket is the 'real' test of cricketing skills and application.

Let me remind you that when one day cricket started, people started talking about the most likely demise of test cricket. Its been more than 3 decades, its still going strong. Rather than getting defensive, I think its in Bangladesh cricket's to nurture talent, develop a sustainable domestic circuit, and then perform at the highest stage at the test level.

Posted by   on (October 24, 2012, 19:11 GMT)

@OzWally...What's population got to do with it? India has a billion people well actually 1.2 and even if you combine Bangladesh, Pakistan and all the other full members including the top 6 associates, that's still nowhere near India :)

Posted by The_Ashes on (October 24, 2012, 18:56 GMT)

Its actually true Bangladesh are evolving in Cricket and they're not the team they were when they first got full status and performances show that. If only they get off-field things right and sort out problems like pace bowling then its clear they'll improve a great deal. But issues like this page mentions, will just drag your team back.

Posted by   on (October 24, 2012, 18:49 GMT)

@WickyRoy.paklover...What kind of question is that? we all know the answer to that please :)))

Posted by ExtremeSpeed on (October 24, 2012, 18:04 GMT)

@OzWally - I agree Ireland deserve what they require and be part of the elite but are they even doing enough besides on field performances? I mean in order to play Test Cricket you first need to have a first class structure and so far sorry to say, I haven't heard of any news Ireland will be doing that anytime soon. ICC are not silly they know everything about Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, Ireland etc Cricket and if a team like Bangladesh like some of you fans claim are getting worse or something, ICC for sure would've taken action but they don't because they know Bangladesh have passionate fans in big numbers, they know they are producing for once some good Cricketers and doing extremely well in their youth systems and so on. About test Cricket I think test Cricket as a whole is already a problem the question is that does anyone seem interested in even watching it? :D

Posted by OzWally on (October 24, 2012, 18:03 GMT)

@Ahmed Hussain - in answer to your points. Just because either BD isn't good at it or India can't fill a stadium doesn't mean Test cricket is irrelevant - it is still the ultimate measure of the best in cricket. And the "we're young just wait" comment we've been hearing for years (read ALL of my post) - If they truly were consistently building a strong team there wouldn't be room in the team for teenagers - look how long it takes to break into any of the top team's XI, teenagers are few and far between. Finally, comparing BD (pop. 150 mil) to New Zealand (pop. 4 mil) & WI (pop. 39 mil) - I'd take what those two have done any day of the week. And my math is just fine, thanks for asking.

Posted by WickyRoy.paklover on (October 24, 2012, 17:30 GMT)

@Ahmed hussain,jst bcoz many people dn't watch tests with same intensity as they do with t20,odi,doesn't make tests eligible 4 most hated form of crickt,btw IS UR BD TEAM A WORLD BEATER IN ODIS?

Posted by AzAb12754 on (October 24, 2012, 16:25 GMT)

@WickyRoy.paklover: Like I said before asking a team desperately like Bangladesh to tour Pakistan is funny and embarrassing. Yes probably whitewash Bangladesh but for us, all we care about is the safety of our players not the results hope it goes well doubt it will last ;)

Posted by OzWally on (October 24, 2012, 15:47 GMT)

@extremespeed - I'm not saying Ireland is better. What I'm saying is Ireland deserves the same opportunities that BD have enjoyed for the past 2 decades, that is to play Tests and regular fixtures (not just an ODI or T20 every now and again) against the best the rest of the world has to offer. Only then will we see what Ireland can truly become in world cricket.

Posted by AzAb12754 on (October 24, 2012, 15:00 GMT)

@OzWally: Sachin scored his 100 100 against a weaker team Bangladesh but everyone in India including media seems to be happy with it double standards as usual otherwise his 18 centuries against the likes of Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Kenya shouldn't account. This is just one example but unlike Bangladesh the players of other teams are retiring so things will get a bit easier for such weaker teams common sense really. Bangladesh can lose the next 100 tests for all I care and I still guarantee you they'll be playing test Cricket so I don't understand how some people will cope :P

Posted by   on (October 24, 2012, 14:28 GMT)

@OzWally...Since Test Cricket of Bangladesh bothers you somewhat you shouldn't worry because Bangladesh doesn't play Test matches barely infact they haven't played 1 so far this year and we're coming towards the end.

Posted by   on (October 24, 2012, 14:25 GMT)

@OzWally...How does waiting till they mature prove your point? Do you know the future bro? these young Bangladeshi players are maturing now so how can they perform now but fail when or as they mature? that sounds illogical to me. I agree Bangladesh are not a top team and could've have done more than they currently have but this nation is new to test Cricket only 12 years compared to the others 86+ years hope you know your maths :)

Posted by   on (October 24, 2012, 14:20 GMT)

@OzWally...You point Jason knock but Bangladesh today is not the Bangladesh from 2002, 2004 or 2006. Everyone including myself agree Bangladesh back then weren't cut out for Cricket. Stuart Broad a specialist bowler scored a 163 against a strong team like Pakistan :)

Posted by   on (October 24, 2012, 14:17 GMT)

Should go for experienced Trevor Bayliss or Tim Coyle either new Darren Lehmann, if they give guaranty to stay for 2 years atleast.

Posted by   on (October 24, 2012, 14:16 GMT)

@OzWally...Also I personally think New Zealand and West Indies are no different as they too except against Ban and Zim struggle to win a series against the big boys and even if you remove Bangladesh and Zimbabwe test status you still have a 'ranking' table for 8 teams? 8 is still a very high number numerically compare Cricket ranking tables to other sports and you'll see honestly just how much of a mess some people arguments are :)

Posted by   on (October 24, 2012, 14:13 GMT)

@OzWally...I agree Bangladesh test record is dismal but test Cricket is unpopular and hated by most of all the world. Just admit it its dying not even a billion India can fill the stadium packed for its test matches. Even Cricket fans do not watch 5 straight days of Cricket unless your're unemployed or retired :)

Posted by ExtremeSpeed on (October 24, 2012, 13:49 GMT)

Now about this issue I solely blame both the coach and admin for simply being unprofessional about it. This is what disrupts the progress of Bangladesh Cricket.

Posted by OzWally on (October 24, 2012, 13:47 GMT)

All those folks trying to prove me wrong with your examples of "a few" wins here and there in ODI's (not Tests), the strong record of your Under 19 team and the young talent in the team (just wait until they mature), only proves my point for me. This has been the same refrain we've heard for years but nothing ever changes. The same infighting continues, no one ever matures into that next superstar and the end result is 3 wins in 73 tests in your history. THAT was the point I was trying to make. For me BD test accreditation should have been withdrawn April 19, 2006 when Jason Gillespie scored 201 not out.

Posted by ExtremeSpeed on (October 24, 2012, 13:43 GMT)

hahaha amazing some fans are still saying Ireland are better than Bangladesh blah blah blah Bangladesh beat Ireland 3-0 in T20 back in July at Ireland. Bangladesh beat Ireland at the World Cup plus have a much better head to head record of the two. Also at youth level Bangladesh is leading Ireland 5-0 but yeah I agree Ireland are better than Bangladesh even when evidence goes against it very illogical some people I guess Ireland are better than England since they also beat them and Pakistan :D

Posted by   on (October 24, 2012, 13:19 GMT)

@WickyRoy.paklover...Its obvious why Pakistan always beats Bangladesh at the highest level 'experience'. But since you have an old team and Bangladesh has a young team the future is clear tell me when the next Bangladesh player will retire and most likely the next Pakistani player? I agree Bangladesh are nowhere near to the level of Pakistan right now but the gap is reducing everytime when these two teams meet now.

Posted by WickyRoy.paklover on (October 24, 2012, 12:52 GMT)

Wel enuf of dis "OVR.HYPING" 4rm bangla fans regarding once in a blue moon victories by bd team,nobdy realy cares about ist clas &U-19 level when u can't translate these at highest level,i think bd team should stop taking things 4 granted.BAD NEWS 4 THEM.THEY R GOING TO VISIT PAK,SO ANOTHR WHITWASH AROUND THE CORNER AT THE HANDS of pak z awaiting.

Posted by halimran on (October 24, 2012, 12:43 GMT)

Pybus shouldn't blame BCB. Bcz,, he isnt so professional.. He wants to stay with family more times than other coaches (like: BOWLING COACH, FEILDING, SPIN coach) want. if BCB give more freedom to Pybus,, then should also give those freedom to other coaches. But, that have not been a good decision by BCB. When u see the last few words of LAW, He didnt criticize many thing about BCB.Above all,, BCB should find more professional and best coach..

Posted by   on (October 24, 2012, 11:01 GMT)

I don't think Pybus has dealt the issues professionally here! how did he want to be a head coach of BD national team and at the same time to staying mostly with his family in SA! I think he just came to see how things go and at the end he found it iis difficult to balance with his personal life! this is unacceptable and unprofessional behaviour from an Englishman.

Posted by   on (October 24, 2012, 10:46 GMT)

Academy team doesnt hav any assignments at the moment. so McInnes is free to gv tym. Use Mc Innes for the WI series.many of the current players were under him b4 at the academy so he knows their weaknessess. BCB needs to ponder over a lot of points after the WI series. not only they need a head coach they also need a bowling coach who will help the pacers! we all know the critical situation of BD pacers! Saqlain Mushtaq is there for the spinners only so get sum1 for the pacers like Waqar Yunus! the head coach should be the batting coach. even if it calls for a lot of investment so go for it. BCB is after allthe richest sports body in the country.

Posted by   on (October 24, 2012, 10:37 GMT)

Thanks to Mr. Pybus. He cut the BCB's work short and now BCB needs to concentrate on finding a new coach. Honestly speaking Pybus didnt have any previous good track for coaching. Many ppl here suggested a Bangladeshi coach which is an idea i will relate to as well. because only a BD coach can connect to the team freely. but the sad part is how many of our ex players have good records except a few & those few might not evn hav tried thier hands at coaching b4! Ganguly should never b appointed as we all know he is pretty much against BD players. Recalling Greenidge might be a good option but recalling Whatmore will be a better 1 as he bought BD the much needed limelight! i would say for the time being use McInnes as some of the current players were under him b4 & it will b a good teamwork. finding a new coach would be an unnecessary rush b4 WI series and players would need tym to adjust with the new coach.search for a new coach while the series is going on.

Posted by CricLook on (October 24, 2012, 8:26 GMT)

Thank you Mr. Pybus. We do not eager to keep you. Actually BCB made wrong decision choosing Pybus as head coach. His profile is not as good as his predecessors. Moreover, he tenure as Pakistan coach was not successful either. He is not just suitable for us. No bad feeling, no excuse. We are looking ahead and wish him success. Now BCB have to find a good coach with a long term vision like Dave Whatmore did.

Posted by M_Rakibul_Islam on (October 24, 2012, 5:17 GMT)

I was at first confused by reading those comments, whether the article is about Pybus or Bangladesh Team. Anyway, BD's progress might not b satisfactory & that's why they need a professional high profile coach. During Whatmore & Siddons era, BD improved a lot occurring numerous upsets in ODIs. But those short term coaching of Law or Pybus won't help them. They need to find someone who will b eager to stay & do his job in sub-continental cricketing environment. BD should pick someone either 4m Asia or Australia. English & South Africans can't adjust in BD.

Posted by   on (October 24, 2012, 5:03 GMT)

it's a very good news for bangladesh because pybus is not a commited coach for bd.

Posted by anver777 on (October 24, 2012, 4:59 GMT)

BD cricket always shuffles the coaches.... they should stick to one good coach for some period & improve the standard of their national team & boost the confidences among the players etc....

Posted by   on (October 24, 2012, 4:53 GMT)

Those are criticized about BD cricket. Pls think before you speak. How many test BD play yearly think first? Once BD play continue then they will be improve. Because we know that ''practice make a man perfect''.BD ODI play frequently that's the reason they won also frequently. But Test match each year's one to two test so how to expect them to improve. So think positive before criticize. If you know BD cricket history, last time BD national team couldn't beat other (test) country A-team. Now more contest against national team. So pls advise how to BD cricket team improve and more competitive against any team. BD should choose right coach, whom do you advise name that's we expect from anyone

Posted by   on (October 24, 2012, 4:29 GMT)

i don't mind if pybus quits. his logic was very weird.. he only wanted to coach bangaldesh national team when there is a tournament going on. When, we need coach before the tournament. What can our players learn from a coach during the tournaments anyway! Please BCB call back Sidons. He cares a lot about our boys, and we love him too. He was the best coach for Bangladesh by far!!!!

Posted by   on (October 24, 2012, 3:57 GMT)

We need a Head Coach who has a vision like Garry Karsten/ John Wright... They must use their brain and time to develop Bangladesh Cricket... We can say Ade Barlore was the man who thought a lot... Dave Whatmore or Jammie Siddons also did very well... We need top dedication for our players and Country... See, if someone build something will be written in the histroy WHY not some brave heart will come with huge dedications!!! We need you...

Posted by   on (October 24, 2012, 3:09 GMT)

Everyone talks about how Bangladesh haven't done well in International Cricket!! But the point here is Richard Pybus has never been coach of a international side on long term basis. Questions on his personality and his attitude towards international cricket coaching. Bangladesh badly needs a good but backroom coach like John Wright!!!

Posted by QingdaoXI on (October 24, 2012, 3:04 GMT)

Bangladesh is good team and in building phase, they have good players in Shakib, Tamim, Nasir, Rehman, Mortoza and Razzak. To develop this team they need a coach who can speak in there own language as most of the cricketers nowadays in subcontinent comes from rural area, it is hard to them to adjust with english so early in there carrier, so it will be better if bangladesh hires Bangla speaking coach, be it Ganguly or any other senior figure from bangladesh. I personally feel that, they should give good offer to Ganguly and i hope he will definately try to take better from this players. Its time they should go with Ganguly as main coach, Vaas as bowling coach and Robin Singh as Fielding Coach. it will only improve the results and will be help to develop the cricket in Bangladesh.

Posted by Dhutugemunu on (October 24, 2012, 0:16 GMT)

Those rare and random wins in ODI or T20 matches doesn't mean anything about the progress of Bangladesh Cricket. They are unable to get any Rating points on ICC Test Championship board. They have ranked 9th in Tests, 9th in ODIs and 10th in T20s. Anyway that doesn't mean Ireland is better than Bangladesh. Ireland won only 2 ODIs against Top oppositions (1 Eng and 1 Pak). But Bangladesh won 11 ODIs against Top teams (1 Aus, 2 Eng, 3 Ind, 1 Pak, 1 SA and 3 SL). Head to head record between Ire vs Ban favors Bangladesh 5-2. It's possible that U-19 Ban players perform better than the other countries. But they should perform in the big stage what we never saw.

Posted by   on (October 23, 2012, 23:52 GMT)

Yes I just found out that according to stats, at Under-19 level the 'future' of Cricket Bangladesh have overall the third best record only behind India and Australia so for those that are saying Bangladesh are getting worse and worse please go and eat your own words. It was the same system where the likes of Shakib, Rahim, Nasir who came through. Soon the top scorer at World Cup will be coming up that rank. Don't forget that the current Bangladesh team is the youngest of all International teams so in all honestly based on these facts, Bangladesh does have a bright future in the Cricketing World so please learn to accept :)

Posted by   on (October 23, 2012, 23:37 GMT)

If IRE, UAE or any other nation want to play test cricket then there is no ICC rule that BD will have to step down. If someone criticise the performance of BD team then they must like to see their better performance as like other BD fans. Even though they are not consistent performer, there are lots of golden moments to appreciate e.g. Asia cup finalist (2012), whitewash NZ (2010), whitewash WI (2009) and beat IND (WC 2007) etc. this was possible because they have played with the top team now and then. I am sure BD is improving but not as fast as we are expecting. And I think the problem is within the top management not managing the cricket professionally. You can see Pybus and all other previous coaches also have pointed that. New ICC rule is to have an elected president should help to get rid of political interference. On the other hand they should have more competitive domestic crickets to supply players like Shakib and Tamim to the national team. good luck on searching a new coach!

Posted by   on (October 23, 2012, 23:36 GMT)

Yes Bangladesh are a weak team but saying their wins over England, New Zealand, India, West Indies, Sri Lanka in the past 2 years is a fluke? common guys I hope you know what fluke means at least some progression is made by them. In case you haven't forgot after India, Bangladesh has one of the best Under-19 records the future of Cricket for example an 17-8 win ration over England, 6-5 over Pakistan, 14-8 over Sri Lanka, 4-2 over West Indies, 5-0 over Ireland, 7-1 over Zimbabwe not bad for a weak team and that's proof enough.

Posted by   on (October 23, 2012, 23:24 GMT)

Also Bangladesh complain of lack of Cricket and to somewhat I agree but in the gaps you don't have Cricket, play the associates so not only you but they too are getting their fair share of Cricket because it was a while ago that Trent Johnstone was frustrated on why Bangladesh and Zimbabwe do not play Ireland.

Posted by   on (October 23, 2012, 23:13 GMT)

Maybe Bangladesh should go after Dean Jones since they're so interested in Australia coaches ;)

Posted by   on (October 23, 2012, 23:09 GMT)

@PACERONE...Its interesting to see the way you slipped the word 'serious' in your comment because that shows your're already making an excuse just in case Bangladesh does beat West Indies and if they did then I guess according to you they weren't 'serious'. Its true West Indies are expected to crush Bangladesh at least in Test series but Bangladesh today is not the Bangladesh 10 years back in 2002.

Posted by AzAb12754 on (October 23, 2012, 22:42 GMT)

@Shaynej: You do make an excellent point but I don't think Ganguly would want to coach Bangladesh after the way he treated Tamim Iqbal at IPL. Also he advised KKR to not use Shakib Al Hasan in the final so based on that kind of attitude, Ganguly doesn't look interested to me in coaching Bangladesh.

Posted by AzAb12754 on (October 23, 2012, 22:39 GMT)

@OzWally: Actually the last time Ireland played Bangladesh in an ODI was at the World Cup which Bangladesh won so really that's 4 wins on the trot against them. I agree Ireland deserve to be part of the elite but they're simply not doing enough to achieve that goal such as first class, academies etc which is vital in Cricket.

Posted by FOTO on (October 23, 2012, 22:27 GMT)

Bangladesh's youngsters have a future... while Ireland players move to England... So I disagree that Ireland will have a better chance in Test. Plus, Afghanistan is also bad... in ODI they get out pretty EASILY!

Posted by Lahori_Munde on (October 23, 2012, 21:45 GMT)

@BoonBoom- I agree bhai. It was India and BCCI pushing test status for Bangladesh. Now see what happens, they are worst team and never gets better

Posted by OzWally on (October 23, 2012, 21:40 GMT)

And finally, no nation that has been playing test cricket for 2 decades should be losing on a regular basis to such teams as the Netherlands and Scotland.

Posted by OzWally on (October 23, 2012, 21:36 GMT)

@justanotherfan13 - The 3-0 result you speak of was T20. Hardly the best version of the game to determine test capabilities. ODI's would be better and the last time Ireland and BD played a series it was tied 1-1. Plus, if Ireland was granted test status it would stop England from poaching their best players.

Posted by AzAb12754 on (October 23, 2012, 21:34 GMT)

@boon: Yes Ireland play better Cricket than Bangladesh even though they lost to Bangladesh 3-0 back in July. Yes Ireland play better than Bangladesh even though the last time they met in an ODI, Bangladesh won. Its boomboom not boonboom get the basics right :)

Posted by Shaynej on (October 23, 2012, 21:22 GMT)

I have to agree with street_smart's comment. Ganguly would make a great coach. He is inspirational, leads from the front, and speaks Bangla - the ability and courage to praise or curse at a player is important, and it is even important that the player understands it, in either case. He understands the Bengali culture, and he has whipped an under-performing team into shape before, something Pybus never managed to do with Pakistan. Hire Ganguly. If the BCB can't do that, then hire a local Bangladesh coach. Show some faith in your own system.

Posted by   on (October 23, 2012, 21:21 GMT)

Pity Pybus will not return to coach the Bangladesh Team! It's no use arguing who is at fault the BCB or Pybus.But the moot issue is that this time BCB must find a high calibre head coach even it costs more money.It's also true that the best in the market may not be interested in the Bangladesh position for obvious reasons.But the BCB should start immediate process of shortlisting and interviewing candidates with good track records.

Posted by Shaynej on (October 23, 2012, 21:16 GMT)

Bangladesh should abandon its constant search for a foreign coach and opt for a respected Bangla figure. Most of the Bangla players come from smaller towns, and struggle with English and foreign accents. Remember the Gordon Greenidge saga, where 90% of the players found his accent impenetrable? A struggling team needs a father-figure who can pull a player aside and counsel him in Bangla, not in a South African accent that would require a translator. They have a culture that respects age and accomplishment - knowing that, is the BCB really saying that, in a country with such passion towards the game, they cannot find a older Bangla coach that can command the respect of the team?

Posted by akash365 on (October 23, 2012, 20:55 GMT)

Bring back Gordon Greenidge please. Pybus is a very poor and selfish type of coach and there's nothing much to learn from him. He should have resigned when his team failed to Netherlands and Scotland.

@OzWally: If bigger teams could frequently play tests with us I'm sure there would be more wins. Personally I want to see Afghanistan and Ireland as test playing nations but according to ICC it's not only the performance which qualifies for this regard, there has to be enough infrastructure, sponsorships, dedicated sports channels, and most importantly fans to grant a nation test status. Just in case if you don't know, Bangladesh is the 3rd most popular cricketing nation of the world.

Posted by BoonBoom on (October 23, 2012, 20:38 GMT)

Why does Bangladesh need a coach? No matter what they do they will never be able to play good cricket. In fact they don't deserve to play test cricket and it has been proved that the decision to grant test status to Bangladesh was the most horrendous decision ICC ever made. Ireland and UAE play better cricket than Bangladesh!!

Posted by PACERONE on (October 23, 2012, 20:36 GMT)

Who would want to go and coach in Bangladesh? The board should have one of it's members coach the team.They had Greenidge and got upset with him when he told them that the team was not ready for the big boys.They are still not ready and if West indies are serious they will get pummeled.There are a few good players,but not enough to be competitive.

Posted by justanotherfan13 on (October 23, 2012, 20:27 GMT)

@ Ozwally: Ireland recently lost to Bangladesh by 3-0 on their home condition. They can certainly improve that.

Posted by AusieBangaleeShameem on (October 23, 2012, 19:59 GMT)

As I've been commenting since the coaching issue started ---- the best coach for Bangladesh was Jamie Siddons, yes I mean Jamie Siddons from Australia --- second best was Stuart Law -- also from Australia. If they need quality coach, they must start searching for an Aussie coach. Thanks for listening.

Posted by street_smart on (October 23, 2012, 19:56 GMT)

Get Ganguly as your coach

Posted by   on (October 23, 2012, 19:50 GMT)

whatever banggladesh can do , their cricket wont improve . . .

Posted by shohag23 on (October 23, 2012, 19:34 GMT)

Hey look at the record of Pybus.He was never a successful coach in international level.Once he was a coach of Pakistan and was sacked for not being able to make it better for them.Actually what he was demanding was outragious.Because a coach of his level can not ask for more than the Bangladesh Cricket board has given him.Now I think Bangladesh Cricket Board shouldn't rush in finding a new coach.They should bring back Gordon Grinidge the man who put them at this level in the first place.If they can't then bring Waqar yunis or Mohsin Khan.I don't think they should bring anyone from India.

Posted by   on (October 23, 2012, 19:12 GMT)

BCB needs to look out for an Asian coach, preferrable from Sri Lanka.

Posted by OzWally on (October 23, 2012, 18:54 GMT)

Continued disarray in the Bangladesh camp. Whether it's player payment disputes, coaches not being allowed to coach or given mixed messages in their assignments. And after 12 years as a Test playing nation, just 3 wins to show for it. So what does Ireland have to do to be given the same chance at the Test level that Bangladesh continues to squander?

Posted by   on (October 23, 2012, 18:50 GMT)

Who's in fault here? It's important to know.

Posted by   on (October 23, 2012, 18:42 GMT)

Bangladesh should not let this affect them because at the moment, they seem to be in great touch in the 1st class games. I personally don't think Pybus will be missed because he hasn't done anything remarkable in his short stint. I would personally advise Bangladesh management to take your time when finding the right coach because this appointment of his was again rushed. I feel that McInnes should take charge at least temporarily for the West Indies series because there's just no time at this moment. But I do agree with Pybus that nobody who is not part of the coaching staff has a right to make decisions and this is what seriously disturbs Bangladesh Cricket as a whole more controversy.

Posted by asiacricket1234 on (October 23, 2012, 18:42 GMT)

Its good to know that he is not coming back. This man was not committed to his job. He was barely with the players. Now he is giving silly excuses. He doesnt deserve the job. I hope Bangladesh find a good coach :)

Firdose MoondaClose
Country Fixtures Country Results
2nd Semi-Final: Bangladesh v Sri Lanka at Incheon
Oct 2, 2014 (14:00 local | 05:00 GMT | 01:00 EDT | 00:00 CDT | 22:00 PDT)
1st Test: Bangladesh v Zimbabwe at Dhaka
Oct 25-29, 2014 (09:30 local | 03:30 GMT | 23:30 EDT | 22:30 CDT | 20:30 PDT)
2nd Test: Bangladesh v Zimbabwe at Khulna
Nov 3-7, 2014 (09:30 local | 03:30 GMT | 22:30 EST | 21:30 CST | 19:30 PST)
3rd Test: Bangladesh v Zimbabwe at Chittagong
Nov 12-16, 2014 (09:30 local | 03:30 GMT | 22:30 EST | 21:30 CST | 19:30 PST)
1st ODI: Bangladesh v Zimbabwe at Chittagong