Richard Pybus quits as Bangladesh coach October 24, 2012

'My position was undermined consistently by the BCB'

Richard Pybus is not returning to coach Bangladesh. He told ESPNcricinfo that issues with his contract and interference from administration were among his reasons for quitting
  shares 44

What made you interested in the Bangladesh job at the beginning?

A sports management group brought it to my attention. They'd had an inquiry from Bangladesh, and I was told Bangladesh wanted me to put my CV forward. I did so and then I got an offer to take the job. I replied that I wouldn't take a job without meeting the administration. Although I wasn't actually looking for this job, I thought out of respect for them that I should go out to Bangladesh and hear what they had to say.

Can you explain your current position with Bangladesh cricket?
I won't be continuing as head coach. I've been fulfilling my role in good faith, given that I haven't had a contract for nearly five months. But everybody's patience has limits and my position has been made completely untenable.

Why is that?
The board, in the form of Nizamuddin Chowdhury the chief executive, approached me earlier this year on three occasions to become head coach. I turned them down twice, as I couldn't commit to the amount of time they wanted me to be with the team and in Bangladesh, which was 320 days a year. I explained that I had family responsibilities that stop me from being away for this amount of time. The third time they approached me, I explained again, in detail, what the issues were. I said I could prepare the team in camps, tour with them and be there for all series, but I needed to get home between tours for my family. If they were happy with that, then I could do the job for them. That was when they agreed that I would be able to go home between tours. That is the heart of the matter.

Did you have this agreement as both written agreement and verbal?
No, their agreement was never made explicit in the contract they presented to me in Dhaka so I refused to sign it. I tried repeatedly to resolve it. I initiated more than six meetings and discussions to make the terms of the contract negotiation transparent and offer solutions but to no avail. That is why I have decided I will not go back.

Because you didn't [have it in writing], why did you decide to go in the first place?
I felt we could work it out. My conscience is completely clear. I could not sign a contract that is different from the agreement I made when I accepted the job. I got on with the coaching but when details of my contract where leaked to the media and discussed in the public domain, I felt the BCB had made their position clear. They fundamentally undermined the principles of confidentiality and they went back on their word.

Did you try to resolve the issues?
After seeking resolution on the contract problem for over three months, I spoke to the [BCB] president again about it after the WT20. I wrote up the meeting in an email to the president, CEO and director of cricket. I gave them solutions to the issues that had not been included in the contract. All of this I of course expected to be confidential.

A few days later, I was contacted by Bangladesh journalists who said my contract had been leaked to them by the BCB administration. This was followed by a press statement from the BCB, saying I hadn't signed my contract and that I'd gone away without submitting plans for the upcoming West Indies tour. This wasn't true. The plans had been submitted nearly three weeks earlier and then rejected by Cricket Operations. They took a confidential contract discussion into the public domain and proceeded to give press statements on it, breaching the privacy and confidentiality expected in contract discussions.

Are there any issues besides leave that led to your decision?
I asked for the mandate of authority and responsibility to run the national side without interference from board directors and was given that assurance by board president [Mustafa] Kamal. In reality that was never the case. My position was undermined consistently by interference from the board, some of whom were not only obstructive, but seemed to be completely ignorant of cricket.

I've learnt in over twenty years of coaching professionally that if you don't have full accountability and responsibility for your work, then those boundaries will be interfered with. You sink and swim with your players and coaching team. When we get it wrong we lose our jobs, that's professional sport, we understand that. Administrators don't lose their jobs, but when you win everyone wants ownership of it.

Can you give examples of the interference?
Definitely, there were a few times I couldn't make any decisions as a coach without getting permission from the cricket operations department. I couldn't even get the board to sign off on providing healthy sandwiches for the players after training. Players were going down with food poisoning during camps, so I wanted to offer them something better than a fried egg sandwich. I was told I couldn't, because that was all the budget could afford.

In our preparations for the World T20, I flagged three months earlier that our game analysis system wasn't giving us access to detailed information about the opposition. It was a license you would not use for a schoolboy team, never mind a national team. The board dithered for weeks on this, and they still haven't made a decision on it. Our primary opportunity to do well at the T20 World Cup was to prepare better than the opposition sides, because we had the time in our schedule, which they didn't. The analysis was only granted to us by the time we arrived in Sri Lanka, by which time it was virtually worthless. We must have been the only side at the World T20 who hadn't had access to basic opposition analysis.

I had highlighted the issues with interference, having board directors acting operationally on tours as head of the tour delegation, when in fact that is the team manager's job. They wanted to sit in on team meetings, the team bus and the dressing room.

The captain and I left out two senior players when we were in Trinidad for a T20 competition prior to the WT20. They were carrying niggles and we wanted to rest them so they were fit for the World Cup. These players were called at 1 am in the morning after the game, with the captain, team physiotherapist and team manager. The players were given a dressing down for letting the country down and told that they could be sent home if they weren't fit. Conveniently, I was not invited to this meeting.

It was recently suggested that I hadn't put forward preparation plans for the upcoming series against West Indies. This is quite untrue. I had done this last month, but they were rejected nearly three weeks later by the cricket operations department. Apparently, they know how to prepare better for Test cricket than the coach.

When you first went to Bangladesh, you said you were excited by the challenge. Did that change at all in the course of your time there?
I've always been driven by winning and excellence as a coach. I knew when I took the job that the team hadn't had a lot of 'winning' success, so the focus was going to be on building on the progress they had made, and focusing on getting excellence in our individual and team preparation. I took the job because I was excited about helping an emerging nation develop. I didn't look at it as a career move. I've been fortunate to have achieved many of my coaching goals, and I really saw it as an opportunity to help Bangladesh to grow in cricket terms.

Do you see promise in Bangladesh cricket and will you miss the players and the opportunity to help them improve?
There is promise, but they have to get their feeder structures right if they want consistent success. Richard McInnes (the National Academy director) and I proposed a streamlining of their player production system, but it was rejected. Cricket Operations refused to work with Richard in running the feeder teams to the national side. They have an exceptional young man in their captain, Mushfiqur Rahim, and genuine international potential in Shakib [Al Hasan], Tamim [Iqbal] and others. There is a core of genuinely passionate administrators, but they seemed to be swamped by politics.

Is there a danger that administration of the BCB will affect the playing side of things?
They need to make changes in their corporate governance: it is vital that the operational staff are able to do their work. At present they can't act without seeking permission from board of directors. It's the only way to clear a path for the cricket side to be able to move forward.

Firdose Moonda is ESPNcricinfo's South Africa correspondent

• POSTED BY Sadequl on | October 27, 2012, 5:37 GMT

We don't need to look back to choose coach's for BD team when there are plenty of professional coaches are ready serve for such an up growing team ! If NZ as a foreign country can choose "Vas" as their bowling coach from subcontinent, then why cant we look similarity in Asia which BCB still haven't thought about it. As Akm mentioned we can atleast try something different by choosing great subcontinent's players who can be potential to understand more depth of our boys to guide them more accurately.

• POSTED BY bdsmaruf on | October 25, 2012, 15:06 GMT

jemie siddons should have been brought back. it will be good decision for bd.

• POSTED BY kaboomz on | October 25, 2012, 1:50 GMT

Do not worry about Pybus. He was never a good choice for BD cricket at the first place. Please bring back Jamie Siddons. He is the man who's got lot to offer. BD team had few hiccups under his coaching but he made a big positive impact on BD team. BD team was really improving under his coaching. And I guess he really enjoyed his time back in BD and he was happy working with the boys too. Please give this guy a chance. Bring him back. He is truly a pro. BCB needs to be professional, not emotional. GET JAMIE SIDDONS BACK.

• POSTED BY BanCricFan on | October 25, 2012, 0:10 GMT

I don't know why Pybus is so demanding... We want Jamie Siddons BACK... he was doing great!

• POSTED BY on | October 24, 2012, 21:02 GMT

Instead of trying who is right or who is wrong(we all know the facts) -- lets see if we can bring in Wasim Akram or Sourav Ganguly or Ranatunga or Walker Younus. They are close to home and can fly every Friday home and come back after couple of days with their family. Same deshi culture and politics and work style. Plus they would love Dhakar Kacchi Biryani indeed. It should work better, I guess.

• POSTED BY FOTO on | October 24, 2012, 20:41 GMT

Jamie Siddons loved all the Bdesh players. It was their fault not acting during the world cup. Jamie should be back with this new combination and BD can dominate

• POSTED BY Sadequl on | October 24, 2012, 19:55 GMT

Point to be note in here "but they seemed to be swamped by politics" & that's how most sub continent teams suffers time to time. Who ever will be able to get out of that nasty politician's hand out of the game will shine with glory no doubt.

• POSTED BY TheBlackMonk on | October 24, 2012, 18:59 GMT

How can he questions about the commitment of administration while his commitment is under QUESTION? He cannot give sufficient time to his team and still expect others to behave same! Looking at BD's international schedule, more than half of the year they will be sitting idle and if the national team is without a coach for this long time, how does Mr Pybus expect his team will improve? I'm sorry to say Mr. Pubis, you clearly don't see the problem here and you'll never.

• POSTED BY nuffsaid on | October 24, 2012, 18:30 GMT

Well done, Firdose Moonda for this genuine write up.

Two sides of it, 320 days seems to be too long for the foreign coach and BCB got a valid reasoning to put up as a shield. On the other side, we BD people know how dirty the politics can be and most importantly tons of interference which is keeps bothering many folks to perform their jobs. And the list for the victim coaches and players are long, Dave Whitmore, Stuart Law, Jimmy Siddons, (Sakib losing his job as a skipper) and so on. In general, we hope that things will get better soon and BD cricket will go forward with a proper direction.

• POSTED BY on | October 24, 2012, 18:29 GMT

His claim of "i can not stay with the team for 320 days and only train them right before the tournaments or during the tour" - is good enough reason for me to fire him. It's not like he is not taking any salary while he is away from the team! None of the coaches we had before had such luxurious demand! No wonder this guy didn't make to fulfill/complete any of his contracts before either! I think BCB should investigate and punish who offered Paybus a coaching position in the first place. That person should be punished. I hope BCB will be wise at choosing the next coach. I recommend bring back Sidons if possible. Still when he speaks of Bangladesh, he uses words like 'us', 'our', 'we' - which shows how much he loves and respect Bangladeshis and Bangladesh. He makes me feel like he is one of us. He even tagged along Tamim to NZ league. We want a coach like him, who cares and show support. period!

• POSTED BY Sadequl on | October 27, 2012, 5:37 GMT

• POSTED BY bdsmaruf on | October 25, 2012, 15:06 GMT

jemie siddons should have been brought back. it will be good decision for bd.

• POSTED BY kaboomz on | October 25, 2012, 1:50 GMT

• POSTED BY BanCricFan on | October 25, 2012, 0:10 GMT

• POSTED BY on | October 24, 2012, 21:02 GMT

• POSTED BY FOTO on | October 24, 2012, 20:41 GMT

• POSTED BY Sadequl on | October 24, 2012, 19:55 GMT

• POSTED BY TheBlackMonk on | October 24, 2012, 18:59 GMT

• POSTED BY nuffsaid on | October 24, 2012, 18:30 GMT

Well done, Firdose Moonda for this genuine write up.

• POSTED BY on | October 24, 2012, 18:29 GMT

• POSTED BY on | October 24, 2012, 17:51 GMT

@ProdigyA...If you read the article carefully it says it wasn't in their budget in that tournament meaning such extra things they needed during the tournament would exceed their budget prior to the tournament so they really had no choice because agreements were already made beforehand. These things take a lot of planning besides the running of World T20 and new stadiums and academies in Syhlet and Cox Bazar overshadows that ironic claim of yours. If you're talking about payment issues in BPL teams thats the franchises problem not BCB but doesn't mean I'm supporting BCB or anything I still think they're unprofessional board unfortunately.

• POSTED BY on | October 24, 2012, 17:33 GMT

Forget all these and get Jamie back, the man was doing good y job i don't know y BCB didn't offer him a new contract!!

• POSTED BY dulabhai on | October 24, 2012, 16:53 GMT

I don't blame Pybus. I would have done the same if I was in his position. This is another achivement by the great Mustafa Kamal.

• POSTED BY on | October 24, 2012, 16:51 GMT

the interview was an unprofessional one...isn't it!

• POSTED BY on | October 24, 2012, 15:52 GMT

some of his allegations regarding board members are likely to be true as Bangladesh couldn't excel despite having a huge potential to become a new cricket power. but i got surprised when this high profile so called "professional" coaches leave a team in the middle of their contract period showing excuses of their family!! Im afraid they sometimes just run after money and fame but forget that there is nothing called easy money in coaching profession. when they are appointed for a national team, they are not only supposed to take part in practice session before a tournament, but to take part in various development programs too for the betterment of a team. and pybus should remember that as a coach his success rate is very low, Bangladesh lost most of the matches while he was the coach and with small teams,but now he passed the blame on a software! then why one should hire him as a coach if he cant coach player without a laptop? laptops coaches have been proved useless long ago!!

• POSTED BY on | October 24, 2012, 15:47 GMT

Coach in Coach out! the complains have been of similar type. The issue still remains at the core. The entire management is being run by people greedy for money and with no common sense. nonsense leadership!

• POSTED BY on | October 24, 2012, 15:42 GMT

I'm not here to support or defend BCB or anything they are of course unprofessional people and it would be great if they just leave Bangladesh Cricket and have proper people running it who enjoy and love Cricket preferably former Cricketers. Really feel sorry for players like captain Rahim, Shakib who was sacked as captain, Tamim etc for playing under them. Tamim who was selected for Asia Cup was actually dropped by such people who run Bangladesh Cricket so that shows what they know hope its sorted out.

• POSTED BY ProdigyA on | October 24, 2012, 14:59 GMT

@Ahmed Hussain - Is that the reason why BCB could not afford healthy sandwiches to the players? Is this an international team or what. Reminds me of the Pak U19 team spending time learning how to cook rather than playing cricket.

• POSTED BY asiacricket1234 on | October 24, 2012, 14:55 GMT

No Wonder Afgan and Ireland perform better than BD??? Bilal did that happen in your dream??? When did they win their last match against a decent team?

• POSTED BY AzAb12754 on | October 24, 2012, 14:54 GMT

@cricket0007: Lowest ranked countries? last time I heard 9 is a high number in terms of numbers or don't tell me Cricket isn't popular? 9 in Football and Rugby is very impressive but Cricket is that bad? Yes actually Pybus is to blame as well for spending most time with family its called UNPROFESSIONAL for a reason but honestly both board and coach are to blame :)

• POSTED BY whatawicket on | October 24, 2012, 14:54 GMT

it must be hard for the lesser lights to have a coach from outside their own country or the asian countries other than their own for obvious reasons. if you have a young family and to be away from them for 320 days. i am sorry to say this but if you are not Bangladeshi why would you want it. most find touring for a month is the most people will want to do, and i hope you can understand my concerns. good luck when you get your man.

• POSTED BY on | October 24, 2012, 14:36 GMT

It was really unprofessional from Pybus... really. BCB might have had issues, but the reasons from Pybus is childish. And its a lesson for BCB also. Do not try to pull some one who has lots of demands. rather look for the one who is willing to do the job. This is the exact reason why BCB had Aussie coaches all the time. Jamie Siddons, Stuart Law they are all respectable coaches. Even if a second division Aussie coach applies for the job, BCB should hire him.

• POSTED BY on | October 24, 2012, 14:31 GMT

Administrations are different. From Potol to Kamal. But stories are same. Bottom line, Bangladesh never change.

• POSTED BY tanvir0452 on | October 24, 2012, 14:06 GMT

totally shocked with such a interview from a professional coach...according to him, he should be in leave between two series...from the beginning, what i got from the newspapers bcb had never agreed with this condition...not only bcb, i think any cricket board will be disagreed with this condition....if there is no series for 6/7 months, then you will be in leave,right..?? and bcb had given you the contract paper which didn't meet ur requirements about leave matter...that's why didn't sign...so, why have you continued for five months without signing any contract...for faith..ridiculous....a professional man is continuing his job as a head coach of a international cricket team without signing any contract just because of faith...?? the true fact is bcb was always rigid about what they said and each time they had given u the contract paper accordingly and you knew that...afterall, you had continued for five months bcoz you thought bcb will change their mind and will change the contract..

• POSTED BY Dashgar on | October 24, 2012, 13:53 GMT

Really disappointing these board members who think they know cricket better than the head coaches they hire. Simple things like players diet and preparation for series' should always be taken seriously, especially when talent is relatively bare. All I can say as a positive from reading this is that Bangladesh have the potential to improve drastically in a short time if they can get an experienced coach who is actually backed by the board on all the important little things.

• POSTED BY cricket0007 on | October 24, 2012, 13:52 GMT

the comments made all the bdeshi fans are hilarious. It seems they are living in a fool's paradise. What happened to Pybus is the reason why your team is a minnow and your country is still struggling and if continues you would remain one of the lowest ranked countries. If you remember, something similar happened to the players who played in your so called premier league. Your board couldn't pay them on time and paid only when they threatened to move to courts. Its a shame that you people are still blaming Pybus instead of improving your own selves.

• POSTED BY on | October 24, 2012, 13:32 GMT

@Bilal Ahmed Khan...Actually BCB can afford virtually anything it was them who were offering to pay at all costs to host or tour South Africa earlier this year in a full series only to have it dropped because South Africa had a busy schedule. If you're talking about BPL issues its the franchises who haven't paid has nothing to do with BCB infact they once said that if franchises do not pay its players then they will pay at all costs. Also Bangladesh will be hosting World T20 in a few years so how they're going to afford that if you say they cannot even afford Ganguly? please!! yeah I guess Afghanistan and Ireland beat Bangladesh last time out. I guess these teams beat West Indies, New Zealand, India and Sri Lanka last time out of course they perform way better than Bangladesh on that evident :P

• POSTED BY RashadBanna on | October 24, 2012, 13:28 GMT

We will be ok without Pybus. He wasn't special or loyal.

• POSTED BY on | October 24, 2012, 13:22 GMT

Judging from what I have been reading I put the blame on both the coach and the administrators. But the people running Bangladesh Cricket simply needs to get out and instead have those who were former Cricketers and those who love the game run it.

• POSTED BY on | October 24, 2012, 13:21 GMT

Get hold of a low profile coach with good credentials .. Shahid Anwar of teh Sialkot Stallions would be a good fit. Hes a level 3 coach from Aus and Stallions are the best domestic side.

If you want an international name .. Make Wasim the head coach .. Bangladeshi team needs more motivation and experience from a coach then techniques. Theyve been trying techniques for ages but it isnt giving results.

• POSTED BY barshon on | October 24, 2012, 12:32 GMT

i don`t understand the point . it`s a professional arena. there is a system. You can`t just ask for more day off`s. if there is any problem with the bcb`s admin then that`s a different case. but demanding more day off for family reason and later on leaving the job staying at home, it`s not professionalism. Bangladesh has so many problems with professionalism i do agree. but why a person like Pybus? He`s a professional right?

• POSTED BY Tokai69 on | October 24, 2012, 12:22 GMT

Another failure steps by BCB to make rush during selecting the head coach. I knew that will happen when they selected Pybus without proper discussion and a signed contract. If the coach changes are so frequent, it only impacts negatively to the players and the game per se. BCB should take more time to find a head coach and prepare a contract as per need ahead of time, even though they've to run the position by a local coach for some time.

• POSTED BY on | October 24, 2012, 12:01 GMT

We know we have some problems and every cricket board has same type of problem what you have mentioned Mr Pybus. But I would like to say, this is your job. You are not here for honeymoon and only wanna stay with team when there is a tour.We are not that much nonsense that we will hire a coach who draw huge amount of money and serve like as a part time coach. Get lost from BD!! We are happy that cricket board take a decision within 5 months. Otherwise, there would be huge damage. I also wanna thank you for some of your positive feedback. We hope our new BCB president will consider all these.

• POSTED BY Hassan_U on | October 24, 2012, 11:39 GMT

He has a history of doing this. yes there is BCB's problems but just check what he did to others teams in the past too. I agree with Third_Gear he had his last chance. Let him cocah a school team

• POSTED BY on | October 24, 2012, 11:14 GMT

People who are saying that bowling coach should be wasim akram and batting coach ganguly do u guys really think that BCB can afford these guys? i dont think so. no wonder Afghanistan and Ireland perform way better than Bangladesh.

• POSTED BY chaitukash79 on | October 24, 2012, 11:01 GMT

A disastrous first BPL with players still unpaid, a coach to who the Bangladesh board cannot keep up its promises.. this is disastrous for Bangladesh cricket. Hope they can act with purpose at least now and remedy the situation.

• POSTED BY stormy16 on | October 24, 2012, 9:52 GMT

I dont know the working of the BCB but if what Pybus says is correct - the problem is the administrators. There are numerous reasons raised as to why Bangladesh still struggle at the top level despite having talented players. It makes little sense to bring in a professional and then have politicians making the call! Interestingly SLC have similar issues and both these boards should learn something from the BCCI.

• POSTED BY Shridharan.S on | October 24, 2012, 9:39 GMT

Batting Coach:Sourav Ganguly Bowling Coach:Wasim Akram

• POSTED BY bdsmaruf on | October 24, 2012, 8:37 GMT

i am agree with third _gear. reality, he was not commited to the team.

• POSTED BY on | October 24, 2012, 8:07 GMT

BCB wanted a full time head coach. I am sure Pybus agreed to do so but he demanded more time off as his family did not agree to move in Bangladesh. Unfortunately he has mentioned other issues as the reasons for his resignation. This s not expected from a professional person like him. Good luck Mr. Pybus.

• POSTED BY Third_Gear on | October 24, 2012, 7:01 GMT

He was given deadline by BCB to decide his destiny by 24Th October. I am happy as he quit,his past history as a coach international teams coach is not satisfactory enough,it was a great mistake of BCB to bring him.

• POSTED BY real26_03 on | October 24, 2012, 6:12 GMT

This is scary!!! Its a shame that he is leaving...

• POSTED BY on | October 24, 2012, 6:03 GMT

Taking out all those words. Being frank with Bangladeshis , they should try with a Asian coach like Bowling coach: Vaas, Wasim Akram Bating Coach: Sourov Ganguly , Ranatunga .. :)

• POSTED BY on | October 24, 2012, 5:18 GMT

Please read to know why Bangladesh are still a minnows after these many years of cricket..

• No featured comments at the moment.

• POSTED BY on | October 24, 2012, 5:18 GMT

• POSTED BY on | October 24, 2012, 6:03 GMT

• POSTED BY real26_03 on | October 24, 2012, 6:12 GMT

This is scary!!! Its a shame that he is leaving...

• POSTED BY Third_Gear on | October 24, 2012, 7:01 GMT

• POSTED BY on | October 24, 2012, 8:07 GMT

• POSTED BY bdsmaruf on | October 24, 2012, 8:37 GMT

i am agree with third _gear. reality, he was not commited to the team.

• POSTED BY Shridharan.S on | October 24, 2012, 9:39 GMT