Bangladesh news December 22, 2012

BCB awaits ICC security clearance for Pakistan tour

Nazmul Hassan, the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) president, has said the decision to tour Pakistan is still "two to four days" away after his Pakistan counterpart Zaka Ashraf claimed that the BCB had confirmed that the tour was on. The BCB is awaiting a security assessment to be conducted by the ICC before making an announcement.

"In my opinion, we can reach a final decision in the next two to four days," Hassan told BBC Bangla Service on Saturday. "We will ask the ICC to complete their security assessment for match officials and the moment they finalise their stance, we can give our confirmation.

"It [the decision to tour] will somewhat depend on the ICC's decision. We need to know their security assessment. Our security team that had gone to Pakistan said the security is adequate."

Earlier in the day, Ashraf said the BCB had communicated its willingness to tour Pakistan. "We were in constant touch with the BCB officials and they have conveyed to us that the tour is confirmed," Ashraf told AFP. "They have also got approval from their board members and we are in touch for the schedule."

Hassan said that having agreed to tour Pakistan, there was no question of backing down. "We have committed to travel to Pakistan and it is my understanding that the commitment is minuted in an ICC meeting.

"Since we have made a commitment and if we think the security is satisfactory, I think we should go. We will see the ICC's security assessment and conduct our own assessment. We will adopt every possible precaution before going.

"Bangladesh has reached a stage in world cricket where it won't be wise to not keep a commitment. It could be used as an example in future."

Bangladesh's proposed tour to Pakistan hit a snag earlier this year when, on April 19, a Dhaka court order embargoed a series between the two scheduled for the end of April.

Mohammad Isam is ESPNcricinfo's Bangladesh correspondent