Tamim asks BPL governing council for help with his payments
Tamim Iqbal has submitted a letter to the BPL governing council, asking their assistance to clear the rest of his payments from Duronto Rajshahi. So far he has been paid 50 percent of his total amount for BPL 2013, and the franchise owner last month said that Tamim would not be paid anymore because he left during the Twenty20 tournament without prior notice.
Tamim heard from his Rajshahi teammates that some of them have been paid a 25 percent installment recently. As a result of this new information and the statement made by Mushfiqur Rahman, the Rajshahi franchise's owner, Tamim wrote the letter addressed to BPL chairman Afzalur Rahman Sinha on Sunday.
Tamim confirmed to ESPNcricinfo that he has sent the letter, and was expecting an outcome. "I have said it at the time, and I will say it again, I didn't leave the team* without seeking permission. I told every relevant person at the time," he told ESPNcricinfo.
In the letter, Tamim mentioned that he played 10 out of the team's 13 matches. He missed the three matches due to a left wrist injury, but he would not mind if he is not paid for those missed games. He would like to be paid the rest of the amount for the 10 matches in which he appeared.
Ahead of Rajshahi's game against the Rangpur Riders, the BCB had requested the franchise to rest Tamim, as Bangladesh were set to tour Sri Lanka two weeks later. He didn't play the last two matches, after which he says that he took permission from several people in authoritative positions to leave the team hotel and go to Chittagong to meet his family.
Last month however, Mushfiqur told the media that he had asked the board not to pay Tamim. "I have only barred the board from paying Tamim. He did not play some matches due to the board's request. Also, he went abroad without taking the team management's permission," he told reporters on August 30.
Tamim rebuffed Mushfiqur's statement on the same day, saying he talked to everyone in Rajshahi's management and in the BCB who needed to know, before he left the country.
"Immediately after my left wrist was diagnosed with a crack, I informed Mushfiqur and the board president that the BPL is over for me," Tamim told reporters. "I talked to our coach Khaled Mashud, and later when I went to the Shere Bangla National Stadium, I talked to the team owner once again, telling him that I will leave the team hotel."
"I left for Chittagong subsequently, the board president can vouch for me. I went abroad after 4-5 days. BCB's medical staff has all the written records. That injury prevented me from playing the Galle Test in March. I cannot understand why he [Mushfiqur] has said this."
Meanwhile, Tamim's teammate Ziaur Rahman has made a similar claim, after he was told by his franchise that he would not receive his full amount.
"I am absolutely fine if I am not paid for the matches that I missed due to injury but they still owe me money," Ziaur told Dhaka Tribune. "They bought me for $137,000 at the auction. I have received 50 percent of it and now they are asking me to compromise $37,000. They said it is because I couldn't perform [according to their expectations]."
"I am sorry for [not meeting their expectations] but this is not professional at all. I was a contracted cricketer of that team and my performance should have no effect on the remuneration. Even the contract doesn't say so."
* 13:11 GMT - Tamim Iqbal's quote was changed
Mohammad Isam is ESPNcricinfo's Bangladesh correspondent. He tweets here