Bangladesh news May 26, 2014

Heath Streak appointed Bangladesh bowling coach

ESPNcricinfo staff

Former Zimbabwe captain Heath Streak has been appointed Bangladesh's bowling coach until 2016. Streak will arrive in Dhaka in the first week of June and will form a new-look coaching partnership with head coach Chandika Hathurusingha, who was appointed earlier this month.

According to the BCB, Streak will work for 450 days across two years and will also be a consultant for the other teams under the board. According to his contract, he will be available three weeks before every series and will prolong his stay with the team before the 2015 World Cup.

"I look forward to the challenge of working with the Tigers and thank BCB for the opportunity," Streak said in a statement released by the BCB. "It is exciting for me to be back into the international coaching arena again. It is my passion to coach at an elite level.

"I hope I can bring my experience as a former player and coach to the Bangladeshi bowlers. I look forward to teaming up with the new coaching staff and mapping the future for this exciting team."

Streak had been Zimbabwe's bowling coach between 2009 and 2013. He played six of his 65 Tests as well as 10 ODIs against Bangladesh, apart from a season of domestic cricket in the country in the 1990s.

• dummy4fb on May 29, 2014, 11:22 GMT

I will arg BCB to produce some better wickets in domestic circuit. As long as you will less reluctant to produce standard pitches in domestic circuit BD will struggle in long run. example, our A team in struggling very badly in West indies. As a bowling coach H streak is good for BD but again we need to level up out standard and competitiveness in domestic circuit.

• British_North_America on May 27, 2014, 22:02 GMT

Neither Warne nor Jhonty would come to Bangladesh for coaching.

• Ammo666 on May 27, 2014, 18:38 GMT

I am not enough happy with the BCB decision of making a ZIM'n former player Heath Streak as the bowling coach because for bowling coach my choice would have been a former PAK'ni or Aussi fast bowler coach... even though to me Streak is still the best fast bowler ZIM ever produced so i hope he will pick more quality fast bowlers from BD & guide them enough well for example Taskin & Al Amin & few others those who are already in the pipe line...& also polish this Rubel, Shafilu & Robiul..& i don't know why Nazmul is not in the national side being better than Rubel its just Nazmul is not a quick as Rubel & i wish Mashrafe gets back soon with his original form but can't say it will happen that way... Now what i can say is if Streak can make some difference to the fast bowling department of BD & mindset at the right time then there will be hardly any problem! all the best to Streak & BD!

• Fogu on May 27, 2014, 13:14 GMT

Picking good coaches is only half the battle. We need to improve the infrastructure of our cricket and develop young talents who can push our starters. Currently we have 3/4 international qauality players in the national team and the rest need to develop further. Hopefully we can develop a few young ones who can elevate the status of BD.

• Nahiyan018 on May 27, 2014, 4:46 GMT

Fair enough decision....BCB took a huge step to bring coaches in all departments. Hope that they appoint high level fielding and spin coach like JHONTY RODES and SHANE WARNE

• Anil_Koshy on May 27, 2014, 3:29 GMT

Bangladesh need to find bowlers with good build up, apart from Mortaza, nobody else looks like a fast bowlers, they should learn few lessons from Pakistanis who always produce raw talent with strong build up.

• neazahmed on May 26, 2014, 19:32 GMT

this is a good decision by BCB

• Ammo666 on May 26, 2014, 19:13 GMT

I am not so happy with the BCB decision of making a ZIM'n former player Heath Streak as the bowling coach because for bowling coach my first choice would have been a former PAK'ni fast bowler coach even though to me Streak is still the best fast bowler ZIM ever produced so i hope he will pick more quality fast bowlers from BD & guide them enough well for example Taskin & Al Amin & few others those who are already in queue...& also polish this Rubel, Shafilu & Robiul..& i don't know why Nazmul is not in the national side being better than Rubel its just Nazmul is not a quick as Rubel & i wish Mashrafe gets back soon with his original form but can't say it will happen that way... Now what i can say is if Streak can make some difference to the fast bowling department of BD & mindset at the right time then there will be hardly any problem! all the best to Streak & BD!

• 12345SS on May 26, 2014, 18:12 GMT

I think BD players need to sleep for long hours to clear their heads and they need to eat food that has lots of calcium. Good Luck and make sure you guys eat healthy food because it is very important for us to eat healthy food to keep fit and active.

• 12345SS on May 26, 2014, 18:02 GMT

I still don't think BD will change.

• No featured comments at the moment.