Bangladesh news February 22, 2016

BCB lifts ban on Nadir Shah

Nadir Shah (third from right) umpired in the USA in 2014, while his ten-year ban was still in place

The BCB has lifted the 10-year ban it had imposed on umpire Nadir Shah in March 2013. Shah had been banned on charges of corruption alleged during a TV sting operation. The decision to revoke the ban was made unanimously by board members during a meeting on Monday.

Shah is now eligible to stand in Bangladesh's domestic competitions, though it is not clear whether he will resume umpiring in the Bangladesh Cricket League first-class competition or in the Dhaka Premier Division Cricket League.

"The BCB felt he [Shah] was repentant and had rectified himself in the last couple of years," BCB media committee chairman Jalal Yunus told ESPNcricinfo. "He wasn't involved in any financial deals in the TV sting. He is one of our best umpires so as a first step he will be umpiring in domestic cricket."

Shah said he was happy to be allowed to umpire again. "I am very happy that the BCB has lifted my ban," he said. "I am looking forward to getting back on the field. I had submitted a mercy petition in the past so I feel happy that it has been taken into consideration."

Over the last two years, the BCB has discussed Shah's reinstatement in meetings, but couldn't arrive at a unanimous decision.

Three months after being banned, Shah submitted a mercy plea to the BCB to reduce the term of his suspension. Exactly 12 months later, he umpired in matches in the USA and three months later, he stood in a domestic T20 match after being told the BCB had lifted the ban, but the board president Nazmul Hassan said a couple of days later that the ban remained in place and Shah had stood due to "miscommunication".

The sting, conducted in July-August 2012, was broadcast by India TV, which claimed to have "exposed" several first-class umpires from Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Pakistan, who were allegedly willing to give decisions favouring players for a fee. In the sting, the reporters claimed to belong to a sports management company and promised the umpires officiating assignments in events of all kinds around the world, largely in domestic Twenty20 leagues. All three national boards announced investigations following the broadcast. The BCB conducted a detailed investigation into the matter, with two committees formed by subsequent boards of directors.

Mohammad Isam is ESPNcricinfo's Bangladesh correspondent. @isam84

Comments have now been closed for this article

  • i_amVIVA on February 23, 2016, 18:51 GMT

    After paying the price, hope he's learnt the lesson and come out clean ever since. hope for the best of nadir s

  • Taohidul on February 23, 2016, 5:27 GMT

    wise decision !! Now BCB should think About Ashraful one of talented Cricketer i have seen ever. Being back Him would be Ultimate wise decision.Thank you BCB

  • cricfan90354572 on February 23, 2016, 2:38 GMT

    Welcome Back Nadir, you were always good to the game--Alex.K

  • Shipar2014 on February 23, 2016, 0:30 GMT

    This has been very disappointing! The guy was found guilty and banned for ten years. How after only two years they can lift the ban after Shah, according to BCB 'was repentant and had rectified himself in the last couple of years'. This is the first time I have heard such a silly excuse used for taking such a major decision. His act was an embarrassment for the country and now the BCB's decision will make it suspect as irrational! Thank God the country's judicial system is not in BCB's hand!

  •   Aman Haque on February 22, 2016, 19:01 GMT

    This is sickening. Very, very distasteful from the BCB

  • hasan011 on February 22, 2016, 14:20 GMT

    This is a decision from running backwards instead of forward, so poor , how come BCB make such kind of decisions and let a controversial person to conduct BD domestic competition, it can ruin BDs domestic completions if fixing allegation comes in future and what kind of example you are setting off.

  • No featured comments at the moment.