Fires back after disrepute charge brought May 11, 2007

Mukuddem tells Bermuda board: 'Bring it on'

Cricinfo staff

Saleem Mukuddem, who last month accused the Bermuda Cricket Board of being "incompetent and inconsistent", has issued a "bring it on" challenge to the board after being charged with bringing the game into disrepute.

Mukuddem's original outburst was triggered by the way the board handled his suspension for the game against India during the World Cup. He missed an official function because he was unable to find a qualified babysitter. He claims he told the team's management, they claim he did not. But even if he failed to inform them, the punishment seemed disproportionate to the crime. Had he missed a practice session then he would have been fined US$200.

"I have done absolutely nothing wrong and I will relish the opportunity to defend myself at the hearing," Mukuddem told the Royal Gazette. "It's game on as far as I'm concerned. I'm not going to back down and if they want a battle, then that's what they're going to get.

"I have absolutely no reason to retract anything I said at the time because I believe it to be accurate and fair. I believe I have a pretty water-tight defence in this case. If they want to raise the stakes then I'm prepared to go with them and they have to be prepared to accept the consequences."

Although Mukuddem was technically out of contract when he made his comments, he was still bound by the BCB's code of conduct. He retired from international cricket immediately after Bermuda's first-round exit.

Comments