Bermuda bowler George O'Brien injured in machete attack
Bermuda fast bowler George O'Brien was injured on Monday after he was reportedly attacked by a man wielding a machete. He was struck on the upper arm but was said to be in stable condition.
Daily newspaper the Royal Gazette reported the wound sustained by O'Brien went down to the bone and required surgery. No arrests had been made until Monday night.
"It appears that the victim, a 25-year-old St. George's man, was involved in an argument with another man who assaulted him with a bladed article," the newspaper quoted a police spokesman as saying. "As a result the victim sustained a laceration to his arm. The suspect is apparently known to the victim.
"The 25-year-old St. George's man was taken to the Lamb Foggo Urgent Care Centre for treatment before being taken to King Edward VII Memorial Hospital. Inquiries into this incident are underway."
O'Brien was supposed to participate in a St George's Cup match, but was ruled out as a result of the incident. "I would just hope that George recovers from this injury," said St George's club president Neil Paynter. "That's my main concern. As far as Cup match is concerned, I think that will take care of itself. I just wish George well and hope that he makes a speedy recovery."
O'Brien has represented Bermuda in nine ODIs, grabbing 15 wickets at an average of 27. He has also bagged a five-for in first-class cricket.