March 21, 2013

Bangladesh tour of Sri Lanka, 2012-13

Roar that follows the tigers

Mohammad Isam
Shoaib Ali Bukhari, the Bangladesh supporter, at the R Premadasa stadium, Sri Lanka v Bangladesh, 2nd Test, Colombo
"People think I am crazy. They tell me to stick to being a mechanic, but I sneak out," says Shoaib Al Bukhari  © ESPNcricinfo Ltd

RELATED LINKS

Shoaib Ali Bukhari can shout all day, in the heat, and not have a care in the world about where the next meal will come from or whether there will be a bed to sleep on. Sounds like just another crazy cricket fan that we have all encountered in life - or have been ourselves. But even by Bangladesh standards, he stands out for his willingness to go that extra mile - literally.

He is in Sri Lanka now, supporting his favourite team, and he has just watched nine days of his favourite kind of cricket - Tests. On the day we met, Shoaib was screaming his lungs out as the Bangladesh batsmen fought to stay alive in the second Test in Colombo. As the batsmen walked back for the tea break, he cried out the name of every player that walked into the dressing room. From one of the higher stands, someone tried to compete with his vocal strength. That man laughed and gave up after three tries of "Shabash Sri Lanka".

At the end of the day's play, Shoaib headed to a nearby garage in Khettarama, where he spent the night courtesy a mechanic he met at the R Premadasa Stadium. This is how it is for the man who is called Tiger by the Bangladesh players. He hasn't come to Sri Lanka with a lot of money in his pocket, and didn't seem too perturbed by it. "Yesterday some of the urchins here took away my food. I think it is okay, at least it's food," he says. There was a packet nearby, which he confirmed as food. "I will eat properly today, because I think I can sleep at the garage today too."

I first saw Shoaib in the grandstand at the Mirpur stadium after Bangladesh had defeated India. He was screaming, but so were the other 25,000 around him. What stood out of course was the body paint. Not many Dhaka households will allow their boy to paint himself as a Tiger - a fan of the Bangladesh team - but there was Shoaib. Tamim Iqbal once tried to bring him on to the ground, but security in Mirpur is usually uptight when people other than them want to have fun.

As I speak to him, I can see sweat staining the yellow paint on his body. "Yes, I paint my body every morning and wash it off after the game," he says without looking at me. "This is what makes me different from everyone else."

After hearing his track record as a fan, you would think the body paint isn't the only thing that sets him apart. Sri Lanka is not his first trip abroad, though this trip has been less adventurous than the last one. "I went to India during the Champions Trophy in 2006. I had enough money to just watch one game, so I went to see the one against Zimbabwe." How he entered India isn't fit to mention, suffice to say it involved ducking, barbed wire and paddy fields.

"Once I got near a highway, I took buses and made my way into Jaipur. I saw the match, shouted as much as I could. But after the game I realised I didn't have the money to go back home. So I tried to find work. After a few days of sleeping in a park, I got to work in a restaurant, but the pay wasn't too great. I really missed my mother, and my home."

Upon his heroic return home, Shoaib was chastised at home. "People think I am crazy. They tell me to stick to being a mechanic, but I sneak out. I try not to miss a Bangladesh match, though sometimes getting a ticket can be so hard."

Presently, the batsmen walked back after the tea break, and he saw all the players coming out of the dressing room, and shouted each of their names and wished them luck. "A mobile phone company helped me come here. They paid for my air ticket. After arriving here, everyone has contributed. I got money from the players, from [Habibul] Bashar bhai, Athar bhai and the team manager too," he said.

He is an intrepid soul, so he has collected everyone's phone number and will only call when his budget of 20,000 Sri Lankan rupees will be spent. He doesn't want this adventurous life to end, but he has to make ends meet, at least to tour other countries. His father is an Imam at a mosque in Dhaka, so he is not exactly living the life that his parents had envisioned. "They don't let me go home with the paint in my body. At least they tolerate me these days," he said.

That evening, he was invited to a dinner party by one of the BCB members on tour. This was a different Shoaib, without the body paint, sitting quietly in the corner, smiling at everyone. As some of the journalists shake his hand and begin speaking to him, he says, "Don't worry brother, I know my way to Khettarama. I am learning some Sinhala too.

"And I will be in Hambantota too, in fact I will do the full tour. The only problem is, how do I get there?"

Mohammad Isam is ESPNcricinfo's Bangladesh correspondent

RSS Feeds: Mohammad Isam

Posted by   on (March 24, 2013, 13:35 GMT)

I wish I could write as good as you Isam vai. A true master class.

Posted by hystericalnaive on (March 23, 2013, 14:28 GMT)

It reminds me of the Sudhir Kumar Gautam. Sudhir is being doing this for almost a decade. Body paint and supporting like crazy, be it in any nation, India visits. Similar story but now he gets support from Indian Cricket team , so i hear. 10 years he being doing this. Amazing.

Posted by saifur.raffael on (March 23, 2013, 10:51 GMT)

Would really love to watch a match, sitting beside him. I will try in the next New Zealand series at Home(Mirpur) on November end of this year. Full of respect for him for all his adventures. Not many supporters around the world can do this. .....Big RESPECT...

Posted by roonie_bd on (March 23, 2013, 9:14 GMT)

This guy has made me cry :'( Resect Bro (y)

Posted by   on (March 23, 2013, 6:23 GMT)

He has risked his life to watch a cricket match, more importantly to support a team. I hope some sponsors support him to set up his own garage (if he wishes) or make him more independent instead of sponsoring his air tickets. Isn't there a thing called 'sustainable' development? Garage owners earn well enough to buy tickets these days. There were some incidents in the past where companies sponsored and used the person to promote their brand. Shame!

Posted by   on (March 23, 2013, 5:44 GMT)

Amazing. This guy should truly be employed by our national team as an official mascot or something.

Posted by   on (March 23, 2013, 5:13 GMT)

Shoab is a real supporter in BD. I love him for his strong encourage BD team. Directly he goes to stadium & support BD team like a patriot. How much he loves it can't imagine. According to this article he is not a rich family member but he is very interested. So someone help him to see match. I strongly requested to BCB chief or any company of BD to support him & arrange a ticket once BD oversees tours. Don't worry shoab, hopefully someone helps you. Good luck to you. Just advise to you, don't give up your study due to see match.

Posted by   on (March 23, 2013, 2:53 GMT)

Is there any way to reach this dude??

Posted by   on (March 23, 2013, 2:39 GMT)

respect to him, i am also a die heart supporter of BD team, my relative make fun about me , for supporting a team who most time defeated. But after reading this article, i understood what real supporter seems, always there for good / bad time. Hope he will get sponsorship, that may help his life easier. thanks to cricinfo for nice article.

Posted by TigersCanKill on (March 23, 2013, 2:35 GMT)

Brother Shoaib, you are a true hero. I am feeling so proud of you being a Bangladeshi. You are the real tiger! Can CricInfo provide us Shoaib's contact info so that if anyone of us wants to sponsor him or simply wish him can do so? Brother Shoab, keep up the good work, someday you will be a celebrity.

Posted by   on (March 22, 2013, 23:04 GMT)

I am fan of cricket.we cannot support anything for bangladesh Team. Shoieb al Bukhari show his love. I salut him. if any body response from bangladesh team from Sl Lonka i can send him $200/ for Bukhari.

Posted by supporter_of_minnows on (March 22, 2013, 17:43 GMT)

the best fan of BD team!!!!found no other words to describe him :'D

Posted by   on (March 22, 2013, 17:33 GMT)

I heard his cheers to the BD team from Galle to Colombo...his ambitious life as the chief supporter to not only BD cricket but in cricket in general is truly inspiring, havent seen such a loyal fan/cheerperson ever in cricket who loves his team soo much.Bless him.

Posted by fantiger on (March 22, 2013, 17:31 GMT)

omg this guy is my hero lol i thought i was bad waking up 3am watching Bangladesh cricket friends and family used to call me crazy but this guy goes beyond expectation but shows how much he loves Bangladesh cricket i feel Bangladesh cricket board should help him.

Posted by arif29 on (March 22, 2013, 16:09 GMT)

Salute boss! A true supporter.

Posted by typical_late_cut on (March 22, 2013, 9:00 GMT)

Take a bow hero! never saw a character like you. I am a Sri Lankan and I would love to meet you.

Posted by ILoveMyBangladesh on (March 21, 2013, 20:18 GMT)

"After almost a month, I saw a packet of bidi [a local cigarette] which had writing in Bangla, my mothertongue. I cried for five minutes when I saw that, because I hadn't seen anything written in Bangla or heard anyone speak my language." WOW! this is called patriotism..I live in USA and know how it feels to stay away from Bangladesh. I am reading this article sitting in the office and i really cried after reading this line. Keep on doing what u r doing bro...and hopefully players like Shakib and Tamim will bear ur ticket expenses during every tour. It should not be a lot for them to bear......... Bangladesh plays well in ODI's now..so hopefully we can see some smile on his face during the 3 ODI's..tests were not that bad either..there were signs of improvements.

Posted by   on (March 21, 2013, 17:36 GMT)

I wish he had a sponsor, then he would not have to face such difficulty. Best of luck to him and Bangladesh cricket.

Posted by   on (March 21, 2013, 16:56 GMT)

I nvr saw such a CRAZY fan.... HATS OFF dude :)