THE CORDON HOME

BLOGS ARCHIVES
SELECT BLOG
May 7, 2013

'Twenty20 is not cricket'

Interview by Subash Jayaraman

RELATED LINKS

RSS Feeds: Subash Jayaraman

Posted by Prashant.akash on (May 10, 2013, 7:12 GMT)

World IPL XI:- Gayle, Mike hussey, watson, abd, miller, pollard, bravo, johson, murli, steyn, vettori. India IPL XI:- gambhir, sachin, kohli, raina, rohit, dhoni, jadeja, amit mishra, ishant, bhuneswar, p .k.

IPL XI:- mandeep, U chand, rayudu, sanju samson,binny, saurabh tiwari, mohit sharma, karan sharm, siddharth trivedi, p awana, Chandila.

Posted by nk94555 on (May 10, 2013, 2:27 GMT)

@Gautam I remember all those shots from all those player you mentioned and those shots can still be played in T20 format with more regularities. You don't have to wait for two hours to see three straight drives from Sachin.

In my first comment I mentioned that I don't like IPL in current format. It is exactly like a Tamasha as you mentioned and I hate it. But I also don't like 5 days of cricket, you can say that I don't like cricket at all which I loved at one point but have moved on to other sports. But cricket is a great sports and if the IPL is modified to remove the Tamasha part and create a real professional league like other major leagues with more balanced contest between bat and ball, it could be really fantastic league. I really like multi-teams sporting event with playoffs and finals to get the ultimate champion.

Posted by   on (May 9, 2013, 23:17 GMT)

@Passion8soul: couldn't agree more. @nk and others who like T20 and not like Test/One Day: If you don't like Test/One day you did not like Cricket because they were the only things before 5 years. So you never saw Dravid Cover Drive. Tendulkar Straight Drive. Ponting pull, Laxman Flick, Kallis determination, Petersen flair. Steyn outwingers, Anderson swing bowling etc etc. (These are just the things that got to mind immediate once i started thinking so no offense guys pls) If you like IPL alone its because of all the Tamasha around it and not the Cricket in it. So you will not be a Cricket fan anyways because eventually the Tamasha will bore you. So Like Cricket and not like Cricket its your choice and opinion which is Fair. But be it Test/50/20 over cricket is Cricket. Those who love Cricket they love all the above said which ever be the format.

Posted by nk94555 on (May 9, 2013, 18:11 GMT)

@Joe-car sorry it came out as a statement but it is just my opinion. I really don't like test cricket and the way I see empty stadiums around the world I think lot of people are on same boat (maybe not you). I even saw empty stands in Aus-SA series last year in Aus and Aus-Ind series in India. And every IPL game is sold out.

I don't like any sporting event which is not played in a league format where you play regular season and then have playoffs and ultimate champion. That's why world cup cricket is more popular than any test series. And yes I like to have a winner at the end of the game. I say five months season because that is how normally any other professional sports league like MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL or any other soccer league is played.

Posted by Passion8Soul on (May 9, 2013, 14:10 GMT)

Yes Sir, you are right. One can hardly call T20 format as cricket that we knew till now. Because T20 is ever so dynamic and just like in football the game can change in a matter of minutes. :-P

To win a T20 game it requires lot of concentration, wits, faultless planning, quick grasping of the situation, matching skill etc etc. Nothing like the old 50 over format where players can literally go to sleep and wake up later (not literally but you know what I mean :-) )

50-50 and test cricket have their own charm and demands and are excellent in their own ways. T20 is beautiful in it's own way. Accept and enjoy it like everyone else does than crying about it.

Posted by Joe-car on (May 9, 2013, 9:19 GMT)

Oh, and you seem to be confusing T20 and IPL. T20 is a form of cricket; a rather diluted one at that. IPL is an Indian franchise of a domestic T20 format. Hope that clears everything up for you.

Posted by Joe-car on (May 9, 2013, 9:08 GMT)

@nk94555_with all due respect sir/madam, seems a lot to me that you're not a cricket fan. Although everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, I rather find it funny that someone in your position would think that your opinion carries any weight at all. You also say test cricket is 'long and boring', like that is fact rather than your own opinion. But what is most laughable about your comment is that you compare test and ODI cricket to "sports" like Baseball, NBA, NFL, NHL and Soccer. A true cricket fan would know how ludicrous that actually is. You then proceed to imply that test cricket makes no sense at all and that you always except a winner after a match. It's as if you don't consider a draw a result. And as for your suggestion that the IPL should be played for five months is nothing short of laughable.

Posted by nk94555 on (May 9, 2013, 5:47 GMT)

I agree that in current format T20 (IPL) is not cricket. But I am also not a fan of longer format where a batsman wouldn't dispatch a over pitched ball at 10.30AM in the morning but he will do that at 1.30PM after lunch. This is ridiculous where the primary goal is to pass the time in the middle. Bottom line is that test cricket is too long and boring. All the professional sports Baseball, NBA, NFL, NHL and Soccer are three hours sports and that's why it makes perfect sense for cricket to have a 3 hour product. You don't have to invest your full five working days just to find at the end that there is no winner. I personally don't like and don't watch it at all. But as I said current T20 doesn't feel like sport either, it is more like a circus and not a serious sporting event. It is sad situation that cricket has three formats and none is perfect. I would like to see changes in IPL rules to make it more like a professional sport and league to be played over five months period.

Posted by   on (May 8, 2013, 18:26 GMT)

in all least one of the three formats

CORRECTION: ......... in at least one of he three formats .

Posted by   on (May 8, 2013, 17:53 GMT)

What should happen then it that we should see talented players traverse the various format as they mature to their prime and then age into superstars --- which may facilitate graceful exits from the game.

What we as spectators should be concerned about is "How do we make test cricket profitable?" Why? Because, although we enjoy the 'gladiator cricket' of the twenty-20 format we equally enjoy the challenges that players have to overcome in the longer format.

Again --- HOW DO WE MAKE TEST CRICKET PROFITABLE?

Posted by   on (May 8, 2013, 16:26 GMT)

@Mitcher...t2o is twenty20...t10 would be ten10 but u cant have t5 coz dat would be twenty5/ten5....

Posted by   on (May 8, 2013, 16:18 GMT)

Twenty-20 is cricket !! The game has evolved to capture the new 'internet generation'. What twenty -20 has done is re-ignite interest in the 'traditional game' of test cricket.

All three formats are important in this new internet era --- it creates new opportunities for athletes who will find comfort in all least one of the three formats.

In addition, it creates a wider arena of players which cannot be bad for the game.

All three formats means the the cricketing boards have to become adept at selecting their best teams to match the format --- this will require 'open minded' selectors who will know that depending on the 'form' of the player, the playing conditions, and the opponents when to to select the appropriate players. What this means it that their must be a willingness to dynamically move players from one format to the other depending on the prevailing factors of the moment. What should happen then it that we should see talented players traverse the various format as they m

Posted by kapilesh23 on (May 8, 2013, 13:52 GMT)

I am an Indian, I am an Ipl fan but I still don't think that T20 is real cricket. I watch Ipl just for Tamasha. Even if sometimes I really enjoy some matches deep down I know this is not cricket. Only Ipl can make huge stars of absolutely mediocre players Valthaty, Pandey, Yousuf Pathan etc. With shortest boundaries, ridiculously below average bowling and flattest decks you see so many mediocrities performing well. Additional to all that are over excited fans, cheergirls and constant focus of cameras on girls sitting in the stadium its more of a vulgar theater act than Cricket.

Posted by   on (May 8, 2013, 13:50 GMT)

@Sundararajan - If you had taken the pains to hear Kartikeya out, you would have heard this:

"If your response to someone that says, "Before you want to cross the street, look left and then you should look right because cars are driven on the right hand side of the road in the U.S." is to say, "Who are you to tell me that?" then it's just silly, isn't it? That's not really a serious response. I am actually amused that a lot of people think it is some kind of clever point they are making, but they are not.

What are they questioning then? They are basically questioning the very act of criticism itself. Is it their point that no one should ever criticize something they like, or no one should try to persuade somebody else that they shouldn't do something? Is that really their argument?"

Posted by Mitcher on (May 8, 2013, 5:23 GMT)

Geez the IPL fanboys get very touchy when the swords come out for the abomination that is T20. Just as the novelty of 50 over cricket slowly wore off, so it will for T20. Probably at an accelerated rate due to the limited genuine love for the game of so many of the fanboys. Then what will we be left with? T10? T5? Can't wait!!!

Posted by   on (May 7, 2013, 22:42 GMT)

Ah finally! Someone speaks my mind. No one is undermining your opinion Mr.Sundarajan but T20 in itself is NOT cricket. To enjoy T20 you actually need to watch as a different game. Thats not an insult but thats actually a fact when you dwell into the attributes of a good T20 player and good Test player or even ODI. Completely different

Posted by   on (May 7, 2013, 19:56 GMT)

It is a Slugfest and based on the fast food system thats caught on in the bigger markets it satisfies the length of a 9 Inning Baseball , 4 Qs of Basketball and 3 periods of Hockey ! I hardly think it will catch on in North America except for the diaspora audience! 72 Games is also a bit much prior to the semis

Posted by Sundararajan on (May 7, 2013, 18:02 GMT)

I have not watched the video, and am not going to bother.. All I will say is if you believe "Twenty20 is not cricket'", then please you are most welcome not to watch it. Can cricket will still survive. But please stop the hypocrisy of watching T20 and IPL and commenting on it and then saying it is not cricket. At least let some of us who love all formats, watch them in peace.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Subash Jayaraman
Subash's introduction to cricket began with enduring sledging from his brothers during their many backyard cricket sessions. His fascination with the game took hold in 1983, but mostly it was the cricket commentary over All India Radio, about the water-tight front-foot defence of Gavaskar that did it. @thecricketcouch

All articles by this writer