Canada news November 2, 2012

Unpaid players sue Canadian T20 organisers

ESPNcricinfo staff
  shares 6

Sixteen players have started legal proceedings against the organisers of the Cricket All Star T20 Match which was held in Toronto in May claiming they have yet to be paid. Ontario-based Kat Rose Custom Designs Inc (Kat Rose), which organised the Cricket Canada-approved event, was served notices at the Toronto Small Claims Court on September 27 regarding unpaid match fees and expenses totalling $113,000 approximately.

Affected players include Sanath Jayasariya, Saqlain Mushtaq, Kyle Mills, Jacob Oram, Mark Boucher, Devon Smith, Tino Best, Brendan Taylor and Bangladesh allrounder Nasir Hossain, who was supposed to be paid $10,000, ESPNcricinfo has learnt.

"We are incredibly disappointed and distressed by the lack of professionalism of the Kat Rose organisation," Tim May, the chief executive officer of FICA, said. "The players fulfilled their contractual obligations and are now each left out-of-pocket to the tune of several thousand dollars of their own money. How can anyone in good conscience conduct business this way?

"It is unacceptable that the players have yet to be compensated and reimbursed for their time and costs."

May said Kat Rose contracted individually with all of the players to secure their attendance and participation in the match, held at the Rogers Centre in Toronto, Ontario. Additional events included a gala dinner, a practice, and a fan autograph session. Kat Rose has claimed the absence of some of the cricketers from Pakistan because of last minute visa issues meant the event was financially unsuccessful.

• POSTED BY Third_Gear on | November 4, 2012, 8:50 GMT

stalefesh@ Once SACHIN Tendulkar came to play in Bangladesh for $ 5,000(Five Thousand dollars) and most of the IND,PAK and SL super star players Wasim Akram,Santh Jayasurya,Ranatunga,Jadeja played in BD leagues with far less than this.

• POSTED BY stalefresh on | November 4, 2012, 7:08 GMT

International cricketer banking on $10000 is a shame..

• POSTED BY on | November 4, 2012, 3:52 GMT

it was probably boring because the american groundsmen can't make a pitch to save themselves. low and slowly. terrible for batting. baseball.

• POSTED BY darsh127 on | November 4, 2012, 1:06 GMT

@ Cpt.Meanster, I was also there at the Rogers Center! and I totally agree with you.

• POSTED BY lindia on | November 3, 2012, 18:40 GMT

I really don't care about this news.

• POSTED BY Cpt.Meanster on | November 3, 2012, 17:59 GMT

Another blow to cricket in my country. Why do people organize such games when they can't pay the visiting cricketers ?!!! I never heard of Kat Rose. It seems they are SOUTH AFRICAN in origin but have branches around the world. Hmm.. whatever. Cricket will NEVER take off in Canada or the USA for that matter unless some of these companies take it seriously to pay off the players participating in such gala events. I was there at that T20 game at the Rogers Center and boy was it BORING ! even for a T20. I could have done with a game of Blue Jays baseball that evening.

• POSTED BY Third_Gear on | November 4, 2012, 8:50 GMT

• POSTED BY stalefresh on | November 4, 2012, 7:08 GMT

International cricketer banking on $10000 is a shame..

• POSTED BY on | November 4, 2012, 3:52 GMT

• POSTED BY darsh127 on | November 4, 2012, 1:06 GMT

• POSTED BY lindia on | November 3, 2012, 18:40 GMT

I really don't care about this news.

• POSTED BY Cpt.Meanster on | November 3, 2012, 17:59 GMT

• No featured comments at the moment.

• POSTED BY Cpt.Meanster on | November 3, 2012, 17:59 GMT

• POSTED BY lindia on | November 3, 2012, 18:40 GMT

I really don't care about this news.

• POSTED BY darsh127 on | November 4, 2012, 1:06 GMT

• POSTED BY on | November 4, 2012, 3:52 GMT

• POSTED BY stalefresh on | November 4, 2012, 7:08 GMT

International cricketer banking on $10000 is a shame..

• POSTED BY Third_Gear on | November 4, 2012, 8:50 GMT