Caribbean Premier League 2013 July 24, 2013

Protests over Pollard leading Barbados

ESPNcricinfo staff
  shares 28

There have been incidents of protests in Barbados over Trinidadian Kieron Pollard's appointment as captain of the Barbados team for the upcoming Caribbean Premier League. Apart from a "street protest" on Tuesday, as reported by the Nation News, former member of parliament Hamilton Lashley has spoken out on the issue.

The protests centre around Pollard captaining the team ahead of Barbadians like Dwayne Smith and Kirk Edwards. According to the Nation News designer Wayne Cadogan, who led the street protest, said: "I am no Pollard or Smith fan, but I am looking at the principle of the matter."

Lashley, formerly the minister of social transformation, had earlier said: "I have a great difficulty with a Trinidadian captaining the Barbados franchise in the upcoming CPL. They have retained the name Barbados, so I believe a Barbadian like Smith or Edwards should be captain. I feel it is fundamentally and psychologically wrong. It affects the psyche of some Barbadians."

Barbados Tridents are one of two teams, from among six, to have captains from another country. The other is Antigua Hawksbills, who will be led by Jamaican Marlon Samuels.

• POSTED BY on | July 31, 2013, 21:23 GMT

I am a Barbadian from birth and will always be a Barbadian but when it comes to cricket, I am a West Indian. I do not agree with the protest and all these people protesting, know little to nothing about the CPL obviously and this only serves to demonstrate ignorance of the highest level. Pollard Sir, You have my ultimate support, cricket is all the caribbean have as people lets work together to make it as strong as before and put our individual differences behind us and move on. Last night Pollard came to the rescue along with malik none of which are bajans by any stretch of imagination but under Tridents they all represent this franchise based in Barbados !! #BimTridents #Basedin246

• POSTED BY on | July 31, 2013, 15:43 GMT

i'm not really in agreement with the protest but this favoring of Pollard continues and i can't see why. He was favoured as Captain in the WI over Sammy or even Gayle in Bravos absence, Bravo continued to use him a death bowler despite costing the team runs galore, he did nothing with the bat but was still picked and only dropped when it was way too late. Imhave nothing against the man, but i have issues with him getting so many chances at the expense of much better players around, so i kinds understand the protest. Maybe if i was in their shoes i would protest too.

• POSTED BY 9ST9 on | July 31, 2013, 8:13 GMT

@Sundaresh R Iyer - well to be fair, the CPL is more like nations playing each other. I'm sure you would be a bit miffed if India was captained by Misbah ul Haq or Angelo Matthews in some competition.

• POSTED BY on | July 31, 2013, 4:25 GMT

At first I hated the idea of CPL urggg...it will never work...we are individual nations and all trini players were displaced (bias ofcourse) bds upset of polly being a barbadian understandable...but seeing the first match, tino and polly...gosh it was hilarious...I am now personally endorsing CPL its really a great way to unite the caribbean...coming from small countries its hard to see a big picture...but I seeing it clear now....pick a side and run with it...I personally even though from trinidad will be backing either guyana amazons or bds tridents...and last red steel...but then again it may all change who knows...and that's the beauty about it...the CPL management will always have viewers...cha..ching...lol

• POSTED BY on | July 31, 2013, 0:48 GMT

I don't see a point in this protest. Please remember that Chennai super kings wouldn't have become a great team, if there was no Dhoni. As a matter of fact, Dhoni is not a chennaite. Likewise, Royal challengers Bangalore, Virat is not from Bangalore either.

There are other things to fight for guys. common!

• POSTED BY on | July 31, 2013, 0:15 GMT

Pollard was their #1 pick in the draft. Whats the debate about him being skipper?

• POSTED BY on | July 30, 2013, 23:45 GMT

Sillies stick with good cricket politicians you should know you have got a brilliant player and you're cribbing about it

• POSTED BY on | July 30, 2013, 17:11 GMT

It's a franchise system, which is new to West Indian cricket fans, and, like anything new, it takes some getting-used-to. And what we have to accept, after all is said and done, is that, in this welcome format, a captain will be chosen on leadership skills as opposed to nationality. So let's all relax, get used to a great new system for West Indian cricket, and enjoy cricket, lovely cricket! As for me personally, I crave to be back home to be in the midst of it all!!

• POSTED BY inot on | July 30, 2013, 13:47 GMT

Where was the Barbadian outrage when Garry Sobers captained Nottingham and South Australia? Glad that I never pay attention to what politicians say or think.

• POSTED BY on | July 30, 2013, 13:25 GMT

I assure you that if Austalian Ricky Ponting or English player was to captain the Trident there would be very little said. The Barbadian public really have to grow-up and get with the programme. The truth is that the money is in the pay-per-view and sponsors so if they all stayed away from the games like little spoilt brats it only hurts them. If this legue grows there will be opportunity for each person every year and that is what must be envisaged. Would they not eat flying fish because it was caught off Tobago???

• POSTED BY on | July 31, 2013, 21:23 GMT

• POSTED BY on | July 31, 2013, 15:43 GMT

• POSTED BY 9ST9 on | July 31, 2013, 8:13 GMT

• POSTED BY on | July 31, 2013, 4:25 GMT

• POSTED BY on | July 31, 2013, 0:48 GMT

There are other things to fight for guys. common!

• POSTED BY on | July 31, 2013, 0:15 GMT

• POSTED BY on | July 30, 2013, 23:45 GMT

• POSTED BY on | July 30, 2013, 17:11 GMT

• POSTED BY inot on | July 30, 2013, 13:47 GMT

• POSTED BY on | July 30, 2013, 13:25 GMT

• POSTED BY wizzla on | July 30, 2013, 0:08 GMT

In the name of sport its fine for Pollard to captain but people and putting in country pride into the CPL which is fine, in which case Pollard might not be a good choice. CPL is better with rivalry between islands with some international infulence. i personally would love Marlon to play for JA but just in case Jamaica drops out i get to at lease see other Jamaicans play:)

• POSTED BY vannoj on | July 27, 2013, 13:23 GMT

Just for thought, someone mentioned IPL and captains. Did all the teams there had Indian captains. But I do agree that Dwayne Smith would have been a better captain. He is indeed a better all rounder than Pollard. But not just because you are not from the country of the base of the franchise that you can't qualify for the captaincy. This must be based on your ability to lead your team other than command a place in the team. And judging from Pollard's form I really don't know where he should be at this moment. Trinni what do you think?

• POSTED BY on | July 26, 2013, 11:47 GMT

I support the views of the parliamentarian. And especially Pollard, certainly not Pollard. He should withdraw.

• POSTED BY simonviller on | July 26, 2013, 2:53 GMT

I don't care much about the naming of the franchises , but I do care about the psychological implications where the much better players are maligned for whatever reason . Maybe to ensure that the chosen one gets first choice for the test team ? This WI team is destined to stay at the bottom for a while yet .The reasons being ; the batsmen in particular are lacking in skills and variety of stroke-play . l acking in sound defensive technique / inability to cope with the short ball ,especially on or about the off stump [ Simmonds being the exception ] . The subject player and the others chosen have a long way to go before they accomplish these feats . WI were strong when bowlers dare not bowl short ,thus we 'll be waiting for a while for this development ,so go ahead selectors and managements push those of you choice to sustain this failure .

• POSTED BY on | July 26, 2013, 2:09 GMT

We in T&T would be more than happy to have our players back home...jus sayin

• POSTED BY on | July 26, 2013, 2:04 GMT

I am a Trini and I agree with all you protesters, Kieron Pollard should not be skipper of the Barbados team he should be the skipper of the Trinidad team, I would trade him for Fidel Edwards, Sulieman Benn and Miguel Cummins any day.

• POSTED BY on | July 25, 2013, 23:07 GMT

Firstly the competition is not played along nationalistic lines, rather it is played in similar franchise format to the IPL. I guess many of you think that Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkota are fancy Indian terminologies and not the names of the place where the franchises based. The country's names were included in the name of the teams at the behest of the various Ministries of Tourism at the negotiating table, wanted this identifying marker included for marketing purposes. Secondly the captains are chosen from an elite list of Icons on which no Barbadian names are currently scrolled.

• POSTED BY boxer44 on | July 25, 2013, 15:59 GMT

This is WICB doing Dwayne Smith is a better cricketer than Pollard, but Pollard gets all the chances. WICB and their selectors obviously have a love for Pollard, and Dwayne Bravo, how else can they be considered captains of any team, they cant even captain their home country.

• POSTED BY on | July 25, 2013, 11:54 GMT

This t20 is nothing more than baseball cricket - swing for the fences. If Gayle/ Charles were playing baseball for the Yankees - what position on the out/infield would they play? What position would Gayle bat? Why is there so much fuss over Pollard captaining Barbados side? After all, Pollard is an international player? Has there been a captain of the W.I team from Barbados since Gary Sobers?Barbados cricket fans need to see an international star - the calibre of Mr . Pollard - displaying his skill and knowledge of the game close up and in person. Let the show begin!

• POSTED BY WI_KDoct on | July 25, 2013, 1:52 GMT

Dwayne Smith should be the Tridents's captain. This will pull the Barbadian crowd and get Barbadian support; besides Pollard is showing poor form at present.

• POSTED BY on | July 25, 2013, 1:41 GMT

Mr.Thomas hit the proverbial nail on the head with his suggestion that the CPL franchises should've been named after cities as opposed to territories. I'm a Bimmer but reside in the US. Were i living in B'dos, i still wouldn't attend any CPL matches scheduled for KO. In addition, i don't care for the T20 format which lacks quality in my view. High in entertainment and that's all. It's not cricket! But if spectators want it, they'll get it.

Pollard isn't a leader and shouldn't be captaining any team, in my view. Certainly not the B'dos franchise. His appearance in national colors advertising the upcoming matches seem odd; just doesn't look right.

Pollard's appointment comes at a time when some Bajans possess the view - correctly or incorrectly -that our country is being taken over by Trinis in the economic realm. So Pollard being at the helm of the B'dos' CPL franchise couldn't have come at a worse time.

• POSTED BY android_user on | July 24, 2013, 23:51 GMT

I like the sound of "Bridgetown Tridents" or even "Kensington Tridents". It should have been clear, with them being selectors and all, that the teams were going to be lead by their franchise players. That said, Barbadians might question the accommodation made in the case of Guyana, with Sarwan as opposed to Marine being captain. I am glad that I am from one of the combined territories. No stress about name, just the players in our team! In Dominica, Grenada, St. Vincent and St. Lucia, "we go Zouk yo"!!

• POSTED BY bajan0123 on | July 24, 2013, 21:15 GMT

I also think Kirk Edwards or Dwayne Smith should be captain of this team. They are both better players than Pollard and have more experience than Pollard captains. I felt the same when Bravo was suspended and Pollard was given the captaincy for the WI instead of Sammy. Maybe the selectors know something we don't. I would like to know what qualified Pollard to be captain before those who has been captaining their national team for years.

• POSTED BY on | July 24, 2013, 20:11 GMT

I agree with Albert Thomas. What was the point of naming these teams after countries, and how does it make this league different from the regional T20, except for the inclusion of foreign players? I was surprised when I saw the names of the franchises. Fans will be confused into thinking that these are national teams. I thought they would put two teams in Jamaica and two in Trinidad, the two most populous countries. Kingston/Montego Bay would have been a great rivalry, as would Port of Spain/ San Fernando. Ill conceived and not properly thought out.

• POSTED BY on | July 24, 2013, 17:40 GMT

I dont see what leadership experience Pollard can bring to the side . I dont think based on performances he has cemented his place on the WI team. The possibility that Dwayne Smith and himself are competing for the same spot on the WI team , I can see his appointment of captain might being detrimental to Smith's chances in more ways than one. I have absolutely no issue if it was a clear case of superior experience and skills and I would love to see the criteria used for his selection as captain .

• POSTED BY ABail on | July 24, 2013, 17:09 GMT

Albert, I felt as you do about the country names. But then I thought about it and realised that that's how it's done everywhere else. In the IPL, for instance, the city names are kept despite the fact that the Indians on the team can come from anywhere. I think this may be a matter of people being too territorial. The Barbados team is clearly not a team of Barbadians, but rather a team for Barbados to root for as their 'home' team, regardless of the Captain's nationality. Street protests are a bit much.

• POSTED BY on | July 24, 2013, 15:35 GMT

The real fault here is of the organizers naming the franchises using the countries names. Really farcical. The names should be things such as Bridgetown Tridents and St.Johns Hawksbills. I am totally confused why they kept the country names. That is what's causing this.

• POSTED BY slur64 on | July 24, 2013, 14:52 GMT

I agree with the protests, but I don't think it was done maliciously. The captains were chosen from the top t20 players in an attempt to spread them out. There might have been another out cry had Pollard and Narine or Pollard and Bravo been placed on the same team. Maybe these franchise players shouldn't be captaining the sides. Chose local captains and have them be assistant captains. You'd still benefit from spreading them out and the team still gets the benefit of their experience and leadership.

• POSTED BY slur64 on | July 24, 2013, 14:52 GMT