Champions League news August 29, 2013

Sangakkara slams SLC while choosing Kandurata

shares 161

Kumar Sangakkara has slammed Sri Lanka Cricket for "creating" a narrative that brought his loyalty into question, even as he confirmed he will play for Kandurata Maroons over Sunrisers Hyderabad in the Champions League.

He said he is ultimately happy to represent his home province, but was perturbed by the manner in which the board publicly framed his situation, which he does not believe ever entailed a question of country loyalty. Sangakkara will lose $140,000 from his IPL salary as a result of his decision.

"I was quite upset that there were statements released by individuals in an official capacity, where my loyalty to the country was brought into question," Sangakkara told ESPNcricinfo. "The statements were made to put me at a disadvantage and to make me appear in a very bad light. Certain individuals' efforts to isolate me as a player misled the public and inflamed the issue further.

"Well-placed comments have twisted this into a country versus money, which it is definitely not, because this is a franchise-based tournament where franchises play franchises. It was made out to sound like I was choosing money over country."

Sangakkara's comments were ostensibly aimed at SLC secretary Nishantha Ranatunga, who had told ESPNcricinfo the board would prefer Kandurata's IPL players played "for their country" in the Champions League.

Sangakkara also took a dim view of the board's professing it did not mind losing out on the $150,000 sum a foreign franchise must pay if a cricketer plays for the overseas franchise over his local qualifying team, as it did not parallel the loss he would have to incur personally.

"There's been a statement made that SLC was willing to lose $150,000 by getting me to play for Kandurata. I think the true picture is that I incurred a considerable financial loss out of my salary, and the board incurs a financial loss of $150,000 out of approximately $1.5 million that they will earn through the Champions League, via player commissions of 10% on each players' contract, plus the half a million dollars the Champions League pays for franchise participation. I think there is little or no comparison in the amounts lost. None of the board members or anyone else loses individually, but the player suffers.

"The real matter is not the financial penalty, but the issue of principle. This is not a country versus money issue, but it was created to be so, and I as a player was left alone to be caught in the middle of it.

Ranatunga had first indicated the board would like Kandurata's IPL players to represent their home province on August 17 - the same day Kandurata qualified for the Champions League - but Sangakkara said the board had not asked him to play for Kandurata until a meeting on Tuesday evening.

"The first time I heard directly that they wanted me to play for Kandurata was on Tuesday - the same day I arrived from the West Indies. I was called in for a meeting and met with a few representatives from SLC. I was told that they expected me to play for Kandurata, and I said if that's the case, and if they are informing me at such a late hour, that I'm happy for them to speak to the Sunrisers Hyderabad franchise and also the Champions League, to see if that could be done in a respectful and amicable way, and I would await the outcome.

"Being contacted at the last minute, and told that SLC wished me to play for Kandurata, it all seemed a bit surreal to me. At the same time, SLC failed to mediate a workable solution, so I had to make a decision on my own. I decided to stay with Kandurata and absorb the considerable financial loss."

Sangakkara said he had already inquired about a possible release from Sunrisers even before the board approached him formally. "When I qualified with Kandurata on the 17th, I contacted Sunrisers through my representative and asked them if I was not an essential member of the squad and if they were looking to release me to play for Kandurata. Without making any bones about it, they said they can't release me because I'm going to be an integral part of the squad, even if they can't guarantee me a spot in the first XI.

"Things after that took a very different turn. A very wrong image of the choice that was to be made was presented to the public."

Sangakkara said he had spoken with Sunrisers after having made his decision, and found them to be understanding and supportive of him. "I'm very happy to represent Kandurata. I have no issue with Sunrisers Hyderabad and, at the end of the day, this is my profession - this is how I make a living. I'm pretty happy to have made the decision that I did."

He will now join the Kandurata side as they prepare for the Champions League qualifiers, which begin on September 17.

Andrew Fidel Fernando is ESPNcricinfo's Sri Lanka correspondent. He tweets here

• dinakarsunny on August 29, 2013, 17:31 GMT

I'm a supporter of Hyderabad Deccan Chargers & Sun Risers since the start of IPL and a very big fan of Sangakkara. I was very happy to see Sangakkara captaining the Hyderabad IPL Team after Gilly..Sanga is truly a gentleman of the cricket the way he play's his cricket. He's the only player, to start the trend, who sits himself out if he feels he isn't making contribution to the team. I love to see him play for Hyderabad Sun Risers......Now he again sets a trend to choose Country & Cricket over Money. HATS OFF SANGA, We miss you playing for Sun Risers.

• RobinMama on September 2, 2013, 10:25 GMT

Sanga always choose money over his loyalty to his country. That's why Nishantha Ranathunga had to question about that! It started when he denied England Test matches over IPL. And he never played domestic cricket has been organized inside country where he played for IPL. And even in the last IPL whole Sri Lankan players were questioned about their loyalty other than Dinesh Chandimal!

• birkat on September 2, 2013, 7:38 GMT

@RobinMama: Shame on you! It is because of people like you that people line Nishantha Ranathunga survive. Upali Dharmadasa, the president of SLC has said http://www.espncricinfo.com/srilanka/content/story/667371.html that Nishanth commands the respect of all at SLC. Well Sanga commands the respect of the whole nation as well as all cricket loving fans across the world. Nishantha had no business publicising those comments. It is about Sanga's profession and he should've had the choice to make the decision himself. Would you RobinMama and fans of your ilk be willing to lose that much money in your profession over a something that has no bearing to the country?

• timtom on September 2, 2013, 4:24 GMT

Sanga is one of the many international stars who have not made any impact in any season of IPL so far (la Hayden , hussey or even thisera perera). To give him credit he has survived all 6 seasons of IPL which means he was bare minimum good for IPL. Fans of SRH will be happy to see the back of Sanga for this champions trophy as they have opportunity to give to out extra foreign player.

• RobinMama on September 2, 2013, 4:12 GMT

Sangakkara selected Kandurata Warriors just because he was questioned about his loyalty to his country. Well done Nishantha Ranathunge!

• Anand.R on September 1, 2013, 20:45 GMT

@dinakarsunny's "featured" comment. I agree with you but only to the part that Sangakkara is a true gentleman and a great player. However, you didnt seem to understand the thing Sangakkara is trying to say: it is not a choice of country vs money. This is franchise vs franchise as he said and you are still stuck within the cloud of misrepresented choice SLC board deliberately created for the people like you. On another note, it is a shame SLC employed such dreadful tactics on a great player like Sangakkara.

• ansram on September 1, 2013, 16:07 GMT

Injustice to Sanga. There is no "country or money" here and Sanga should have been allowed to make a choice.

• niazbhi on September 1, 2013, 16:02 GMT

Honesty, talent and fairness. This guy is my favorite player among batsmen. (That means I would take him over Lara, Tendulker and Kallis, if he is not bowling).

• on September 1, 2013, 11:34 GMT

that is excellent from k s

• sudath224 on September 1, 2013, 0:23 GMT

First of all thanks to Sangakkara who choose to play for home country. But after looking at the Kadurata side,I thought that is not the right team he selected to play for. I saw Lahiru Thirimanne is playing for Kadurata. I don't know how the hack they are going to compete with international team.He is not a T20 player or limited overs player,This is keep saying to blind SLC selectors. Kumar you don't have a future for playing Kadurata. Go and play for Sunrise Hydrabad . Don't loose your money. We know who you are ! Best of luck.

• dinakarsunny on August 29, 2013, 17:31 GMT

• RobinMama on September 2, 2013, 10:25 GMT

• birkat on September 2, 2013, 7:38 GMT

• timtom on September 2, 2013, 4:24 GMT

• RobinMama on September 2, 2013, 4:12 GMT

• Anand.R on September 1, 2013, 20:45 GMT

• ansram on September 1, 2013, 16:07 GMT

• niazbhi on September 1, 2013, 16:02 GMT

• on September 1, 2013, 11:34 GMT

that is excellent from k s

• sudath224 on September 1, 2013, 0:23 GMT

• on August 31, 2013, 19:05 GMT

"Giving the team or the ground-staff what I earned from domestic tournaments and their prizes"...... Wonder how many international players, (other than some Sri Lankans) show this kind of generosity?

Sanga is a true class-act who is showing youngsters from Sri Lanka, how to play the game in its true spirit!

• on August 31, 2013, 17:55 GMT

This is where money comes into play... Even though Srilanka reached the Final of the Last Cricket World Cup and indeed they played Great cricket throughout the tournament SLC could not have made the team and the board Financially stable. There were issues with the salaries and other stuffs. Sanga and Jaya are the two most expereinced players who have done everything possible for Srilankan cricket. But this Ranatunga who himself has only played two odi's thinks more of him. He should first see his own contribution than do all this useless political things... Just ignore it Sanga and enjoy the game of cricket... cheers...

• ravikul on August 31, 2013, 10:25 GMT

It is a great shame that SLC leadership collectively or its individual administrative representatives in authority cannot understand the benefits of mutual respect of discussing and arriving at amicable agreements, basically in any matter that concerns the stakeholders of cricket in Sri Lanka.

This instance is even more disheartening to us as avid cricket fans, especially concerning a player who has been a role model, one of our most talented players, astute professional and an absolute cricketing ambassador of our country who is respected globally.

The core to this issue is the administrative infallibilities and the lack of true strategic planning of SLC. The key to this saga is the last minute cancellation of SLPL. and the quick fix local tournament conducted by SLC to select a team for the Champion's League did not adequately consider the big picture and any effects on its very own key stakeholders...."The Sri Lankan Cricketers...!"

Sanga, wish you success ! Ravi Kulatunga

• on August 31, 2013, 8:49 GMT

Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray have lifted tennis to unimagined and astounding levels of excellence, the intense competition creating higher and higher levels of performance. They have support around them and don't have to deal with anything like the levels of irritation international cricketers have to in the modern game with such complexity of schedules and formats. All national team managements are pushed to maintain performance and competitiveness. It is good we have Jayasuriya because he is an all time great with vast experience and knowledge. He cant do it alone. The highest authorities need to monitor performance of SLC management and take action to improve that performance. Time to listen to the players and make it possible for them to give their best.

• Naked_Cricket on August 31, 2013, 5:35 GMT

SLC made a situation that there wasn't. There was no issue of playing Sanga for SR in Sri Lankan public . But it seems in the meeting SLC give bad imagination to Sanga. But Sri Lankans love to see SL club goes well in CL. I cant see any good commitment from SLC to achieve that. So why players put in that situation by SLC.SL fans are intelligent and Love there country representatives in any where.

I can see some smart thinking by Sanga when he now approach T20 batting and it will really big boost Kandurata club.

• lankavigi on August 30, 2013, 20:58 GMT

Bold move from Sanga!! He puts team first and that shows the class of Sangakarra, not only as player but as a human being. SLC should be ashamed indeed. They don't even pay their players well and also don't know how to handle such issues. Pathetic from the cricket board! Players from the top cricketing nations get paid much higher, but they would still want to get that lump sum IPL salary. Sangakarra I salute you, not only as your fan but also as a proud fellow countryman.

• on August 30, 2013, 19:52 GMT

Despite the money aspects of domestic T20 leagues and role of franchises, emotions of the public always align with the teams of their area. Examples are RCB represents Benglore MI stands for Mumbai in the hearts of and minds of the cricket lovers. When it comes to champions league, the teams unknowingly, unwantedly etc. belong to their respective countries and the question of the country and hence loyalty to nation becomes predominant. So, Sri Lankan board is right in asking Sangakara to represent the emotions of Kandurta fans and Sri Lanka. What will be the emotions when an IPL player belonging to India wants to represents Kandurta in CL. Will it be accepted? I am sure all will say "No". That is the reason why CL has lured and compelled the players by keeping 150K$ fine here or there and also incurring loss to the Board in case the authority of the Boss is challenged.

• wrenx on August 30, 2013, 17:29 GMT

This was ridiculous - why even try and bring the idea of loyalty into T20 franchise cricket in a silly tournament like the Champion's League? How many other players will be there who have played for 2 or 3 sides in the tournament? And wasn't Sanga one of the ones who played for Sri Lanka for nearly a year without being paid when the board couldn't get it's act together? He should've flipped the board the bird and played for his IPL team

• on August 30, 2013, 17:24 GMT

in 2012 IPL, sanga's average was 18 & strike rate 108. IN 2013, sanga averaged 13 at strike rate of 88. I think its not sanga, it is sunrisers who decided not to include sanga in sunrisers squad for CL.

• marlon17 on August 30, 2013, 16:49 GMT

I would prefer Sanga playing Sunrisers over Kadurata.. Pretty much sure they wont qualify for the rest f the tournment..

• on August 30, 2013, 16:32 GMT

Oh come on already! How many times should we remind everyone that both the Sunrisers or Kandurata are actually 'franchises' owned by companies or such. The association to a state or city is just to get that connection with fans and build on it! It has nothing to do with country and queen lol. End of the day, the company can anytime decide to sell this to someone else which wouldn't have happened if it was actually a state/country based thing! And to even put Sangakkara in such a position even otherwise is a shame! These are big names, worthy men with good characters. Cant put them in a bad light! Ranatunga is a great ambassador for Sl cricket but sometimes just too over-enthusiastic. Wish he'd show that with the board development than criticise gr8 players on their cricketing affairs (while off-duty from national commitment. And yes, he did criticise many at various times on such issues). Use that energy to boost the sl board please, it really needs some repairs and let the players be!

• IndianCoolGuy on August 30, 2013, 15:46 GMT

@dinakarsunny: Sanga has started the trend by keeping himself out of playing 11 if he is not performing? LOL. Do you see IPL? There are number of players who has done that. Ponting last season giving captaincy to Rohit and left, Gilly has given to David Hussy in some matches, Laxman for Deccan charges earlier, Dravid and Kumble also done similar things. Sehwag has given his captaincy and in one of the super over last season, he sent Irfan Pathan rather than he going for super over. So, There is nothing special about Sanga's decision.

• on August 30, 2013, 14:16 GMT

I couldn't read all the comments in the forum but still I wonder if I am the only Srilankan who wants to see Sanga Playing for Sunrises over Kandurata.

• IndianCoolGuy on August 30, 2013, 13:45 GMT

Good coating to cover his failure with Sunrisers. He would not have got even a chance in playing 11 with SunRisers. Parera choose SunRisers because he definitely gets a chance. This Champions league is about clubs but not against countries, so no one minds about who is playing with which team. Except from Sanga every one is playing with IPL team. Overall excellent step by Sanga to win millions of hearts of Srilankans which is more valuable than his 140 K $.

• on August 30, 2013, 13:27 GMT

SLC should be ashamed of themselves on this issue! I'm totally with Sanga that ultimately the decision is his. I don't think the Kandurata franchise paid the players anywhere near where they got last year at the SLPL. Compare this to the IPL. Why does SLC keep attacking their best players like this?? These are all personal vendettas. THIS IS NOT A COUNTRY ISSUE. Only franchises involved.

• on August 30, 2013, 13:10 GMT

Sanga should have stayed with the Sunrises as they are most likely to go places in the tournament,whereas Kandurata are most likely to end their sojourn in the first round itself.

• Rooohan on August 30, 2013, 12:46 GMT

The best way to build cricket of players is letting them play abroad with other international players.

• on August 30, 2013, 12:45 GMT

well done sir sanga country is important than the money, it shows how patriotic you are to srilanka and to kandurata proud of you and wishing you a good luck in CLT20.

• on August 30, 2013, 12:26 GMT

hi , I am from Sri Lanka and Kandy and from the same school . I feel surprised when Sanga say that he didn't know he has to play for Kandurata in CLT. ??? is Sanga in a different world ? I am sure all of Sri Lanka knew kandurata is playing CLT when they won the internal tournament. It was all over and its surprised how come Sanga didn't know it until last Tuesday .

Its not money Vs country, but its Home country /city team Vs some other country Team.

I think it's all above money. Yes, Sanga is losing big money, but I am sure he didn't starve by playing for his own province team. Your are a product of Sri Lanka and I think it's worthwhile playing for your own countrie's club. Because your earning 560 K from IPL. That's big money. I think at the end it's all about money. Shame on you Sanga - I am a fan of your and will be. But now disheartened.

• on August 30, 2013, 12:15 GMT

Kumar Sangakkara is reaching to the greatness podium superfast and very very honestly! He plays for different franchises but he would forever be loyal to his homeland, there is no doubt in that. The board has put this matter in such a way that it manipulates the meaning of it. Like Sangakkara chooses money over country and other allegations. It is a franchise based cricket and should never be viewed in such a way. Sangakkara himself has clarified the matter, he could have easily chosen his IPL franchise but this would have not disrespected his country.

• Metro-ant on August 30, 2013, 11:36 GMT

Meh, he was never really that good at 20-20 cricket anyways. I don't know what the big deal SLC and Sanga are creating with this situation. From SLC's side of things they should realise that his t20 form is pretty poor and he was not even an essential part of the Sunrisers team which could have created a completely different situation if he was. It's a great PR stunt from Sanga's point of view and did a great job playing the victim. At this time in his career, like Ponting and even Graeme Smith Sanga should be trying to focus on getting Sri Lanka back to a decent position in the rankings instead we're hearing news about some money spinning tournament.

• on August 30, 2013, 11:25 GMT

Sanga has made brainy decision. Imagine what happened, If he select sunrises and have to sit and wait on the bench. If then his reputation may harm badly. Now he has won the heart of the people after refusing that much of money(99% of sri lankan will not earn that much in their whole life) for his country side. One day you will become a good politician

• on August 30, 2013, 11:12 GMT

but sanga will ultimately feel sorry for choosing his home club when they don't qualify into the group stages

• on August 30, 2013, 11:11 GMT

• Vilander on August 30, 2013, 11:08 GMT

this is club cricket, every player should choose the best contract..what kind of hegemony is this although 140k $ wont be that big a deal for top players like Sanga but still its hell a lot of money, less money made for his family..in 140k someone like me can get settled in life for ever.

• 777aditya on August 30, 2013, 10:38 GMT

Simply fail to understand what's love for country got to do with playing club cricket - Sanga should have played for Hyderabad Sunrisers if they are paying him more. Extremely sad to see SL treating a player of his stature like this after all the hard work he has put in over the years.

• on August 30, 2013, 10:28 GMT

That's the reality.... Great patience by the legend.

• on August 30, 2013, 10:13 GMT

This is the problem with this T20 league situation. Every year for the Champions league there will be a situation where players will be torn between playing for two or possibly more teams. Trinidad and Tobago suffered badly in the last champions league by "losing' there finest T20 players ( Pollard, Narine, Dwyane Bravo ). Despite efforts T and T's Minister of Sport to get these players to play for T and T ( money was even offered as an incentive; pleas to loyalty were also tendered. There was even some polarisation among the country's cricket fans.) they chose to play for their IPl teams ( primarily because of the contract they had signed).

• Blade-Runner on August 30, 2013, 9:39 GMT

@Green_and_Gold ; Kandurata isn't his home club. In fact, this team was formed a few weeks ago by the SLC. So there is no such a thing called "loyal to home club". In SL, nobody even cares about this CLT20. As a SL fan, I wanted him to choose his IPL team coz then he wouldn't have lost that much of money.

• Green_and_Gold on August 30, 2013, 8:49 GMT

I dont think it is as much a money vs country argument but rather money vs home club. If you developed your cricket through your home club and you play all forms of domestic cricket with them (when available) then i think you should stay loyal to them. If on the other hand you were purchased by your domestic local side (like what the big bash is doing i.e. play first class for one state and t20 for another) then it comes down to your contractual arrangements. Personally i would always support my local side (then country) over any other teams and i would hope that they get first pick of players.

• SandipManjrekar on August 30, 2013, 8:47 GMT

So Kumara needed to explain his concerns and fans are happy with his explanation now. Is this fair? SL fans' reservations about IND & IPL are well known to everybody. Even playing for IPL franchises, SL players do care for their people very much and widely seen. They are playing their best while playing for their country. The recent IPL & post IPL (CT 2013) performances are the examples of this. They found off colour in IPL but they played outstanding in CT 2013. Perhaps this is because of some wildly questions from their fans at home. This definitely needs to be changed. By the way, is it OK if SLC take money in exchange of Sanga to play for Sunrisers? Now then no money over country issue?? When board does it, it is said due to their need. When player gets money, it is absolute wrong as per fans.

• on August 30, 2013, 8:34 GMT

sanga made his choice but he not selected in starting 11 of hyderabad for most of ipl.he wud not have selected In important clt20 matches so he did a smart choice.one the other hand unprofessional fron slc and this is not the first time or will be last time.ipl tes are favourites to lift this trophy and my favourite is Mumbai indians.

• Shan16966 on August 30, 2013, 8:21 GMT

Since the SLC "preferred" to have Mr. Sangakkara (Sanga) play for Kandurata and since Sanga has agreed, wouldn't it be nice for the SLC to reimburse at least 50% of Sanga's IPL earning, just as a token of the SLC's appreciation? Mr Sangakkara,there has not been/ isn't a question of your loyalty as it does not involve the National side. I pray you will consider playing for Sunrisers.there is much for you to gain aside from the pay, that will help you improve your game as you will push yourself as well. The only thing you would gain from playing for Kandurata is a few more greys

• Bansam on August 30, 2013, 8:18 GMT

Sanga, everybody knows the difference between you and the guys gunning for you. People who get into high positions through influence always have an inferiority complex. They will make every effort to run down the popular, capable people. This is not the first time and won't be the last. Keep your head and walk proud.

• on August 30, 2013, 7:37 GMT

@Naresh Jain, Take this way... Assume Kandurata and SRH qualified to semis, but Kandurata lost and SRH made it to final. Can Sanga play in final for SRH?

• on August 30, 2013, 7:23 GMT

The country can find 1000s of Nishantha Ranatungas...But one other Sanga...?????? (or at least half a Sanga...)

• Shridharan.S on August 30, 2013, 7:21 GMT

@lokky.funky have some sense about the comments you have made. Sumrisers Hyderabad starting playing form IPL VI and not IPL V. Think thrice before you make a comment!!!!

• on August 30, 2013, 7:18 GMT

Dear Sanga, am a Sri Lankan and a fan of yours. you know about these useless guys heading SLC. Just ignore them and do not worry too much of what they say or do. However, it was really good to come out with your explanation. They should not be allowed to just go free after giving an incorrect picture. Yes, it is not Country vs money. As correctly explained by you its a franchise vs franchise scenario where should have been allowed to make your free choice. Hope you will get involved in SLC one day in future and do some good service to the game and the country. We need people like you there. Good Luck for your future.

• on August 30, 2013, 7:17 GMT

i am kamil from dubai, Dear Sanga i am salute you are contribute to ther club match feesl to club and club workers heads off to you,. dear SLC Please learn a lesson from great legend like sanga, all will come to cricket earn money but SANGA is a great gentlemen great player and SLC Please support to him and adsorb the cost what sunrise going to penalize amount of USD 150 K you must know how good sanga now in form dont spoil is carrier

Dear Sanga all the best for the future and your good heart what u have

• abherath on August 30, 2013, 7:05 GMT

Sanga is a great player but if he values his face more than the money he stands to lose if he doesn't stay with SRH for CLT20, he decide to forego that money and play for Kandurata, because he'd very well lose his face if he stays with SRH and is confined to the bench. He's seen this and he had decided to play for Kandurata. THat is the long and the short of this.

• on August 30, 2013, 7:04 GMT

I really appreciate Sangakkara's decision. Hats off Sir. Hope ur experience will take Kandurata into the semis or even to the finals. All the best Kandurata XI. Btw I just can't understand the policy of SLC officials. The way they behaved was the issue as they were the guys who were playing 2 games,They told Sanga to wait for Tuesday shows that they wanted money from letting Sanga play for SRH. I question the loyalty & passion of SLC Top Officials. If SLC behaves like this in the end the players will have conflicts will the SLC & there will be a big issue. We have to stop these & we have to think of the nation & remember the fact that Money vs Country should not be a topic anymore. Well done Sanga. U have guts & we need straight forward people like u.

• TATTUs on August 30, 2013, 6:57 GMT

He is trying to create a win-win situation here. If he has supposedly made the decision to play for the 'country' then he should be happy about it. He doesnt seem to. Apparently he is giving a sign that he has been forced to play for his home state. Secondly if this was not a country vs money issue, then he should have stood firm on his intentions and not allowed to have been 'forced' top play for a particular team. Thirdly he knows he was woefully out of touch last time he turned up for the Hyderabadis and its unlikely that he will be in the team for them. His intentions are clearly to get into fans good books and also money. But clearly and rightly he didnt get both. But he is still trying to create a win-win with this statement. Ultimately it doesnt matter to anyone else if he is looking for money as its his job. But he shouldn't be acting like a saint and doing some sort of charity. He should be acting like a pro and go about his job without playing hero.

• s.g.a. on August 30, 2013, 6:55 GMT

Don't worry sanga, u are the gentlemen of srilanka cricket, we all know about that,except srilanka cricket board two three person, very near future they should get punish for this matter, actually they should handle this matter differnt way, but they did'nt do that. they try to spoil your name, no way for them, this is all about jealousy. Again dont worry sanga all majority srilanka cricket fans always with u & behind u. this is the my first comment in this website, because i'm very sad about u, specialy srilanka cricket board treated to u thisway.

• lokky.funky on August 30, 2013, 6:45 GMT

Sunrisers Hyderabad should be fairly happy that Sanga is not playing, as he has not played extremely well in IPL V. Check the stats.

• on August 30, 2013, 6:43 GMT

Well said Sanga! . People says that you Lose your money 1.5 million . But Actually you have won 20 Millions of peoples Heart <3 . I Hope You will Perform well in Clt20 All the best (Y)

• on August 30, 2013, 6:36 GMT

"Since I got my first contract in 2003, I haven't taken any money to play for my club. I haven't taken any of the prize money from the domestic championships. I haven't taken any money to play in the provincials or any prize money. I've always redistributed that money either to the side, or in the case of my club, to the workers at the club, because I think as a matter of principle; because I hold a national contract, I shouldn't charge for playing first-class cricket in Sri Lanka. "... I salute u man.. u r a true legend. though am from India i really love u and you are one of my all times greats... All the very best Sanga...

• on August 30, 2013, 6:31 GMT

SL cricket has the level of fame, prestige and income security because of the long term consistent very high level performance of its stars. At the moment they are Sanga, Mahela, Malinga, Dilshan, Angelo and Tharanga, Herath, Kulasekera. Others need to start performing before it is time to bid farewell to the greats. The SLC chaps need to show great respect and appreciation towards the greats. Otherwise higher authorities need to replace them with better people for the sake of SL cricket. Michael Hussey quit the Australian team at the top of his game partly because he had lost confidence in team management. Do we want our greats to do that now? Answer is NO for the sake of SL cricket. So SLC chaps, please start showing respect to the few who make it all possible.

• on August 30, 2013, 6:20 GMT

Hello, I have a small doubt if anyone can clear it, in case Kandurata doesnt make it to the next stage of CLT 20 and SUNRISERS do make it then can Sanga represent SUN RISERS or no?

• on August 30, 2013, 6:10 GMT

Greatness cannot be described by words!! This man is simply beyond great!!! My respect just increased a hundredfold for this man after reading this article.

• on August 30, 2013, 5:13 GMT

I am an Indian and a huge fan of Sanga. This is not how you treat one of your greats. No one can question his commitment to Sri Lankan cricket. Time and again he has been their only savior. What else does he need to prove his patriotism? Moreover, this is only club vs club cricket. Where does the question of commitment to one's country arise? In fact if Sanga had not played for Kandurata it would have opened up a place for a youngster who could have got international exposure. Even Sanga would have wanted something on this lines to happen since he always has the best for Sri Lankan cricket in his heart. It is only after a couple of years (hopefully) when he retires that Sri Lankan officials will realize his importance.

• SandipManjrekar on August 30, 2013, 5:08 GMT

Kumar Sangakkara is the most unfortunate cricketer that no single person understands him in his own country. It is quite natural why he hits out SLC after looking at the comments on this blog here. Why SLC did conducted provincial T20 tournament in a hurry? Was that tourney for talent search? Was that tourney organised in any preparation for ICC FTP? Why didn't ask question to SLC about money v/s Country when Tests were cancelled instead of provincial T20 tournament? Does money v/s Country applicable for a player only but not for SLC??? It sounds me double standards here.

• OttawaRocks on August 30, 2013, 5:04 GMT

As a Canadian, I'm on Sanga's side on this one. Well spoken!

• on August 30, 2013, 5:03 GMT

He Should play for Sunrise.

• shahbazhussain on August 30, 2013, 5:02 GMT

@satishchandar, dude... when you are standing behind the stumps.. and you are desperate to get the opposition out of the field as soon as possible you would want every single chance to yield something in your team's favor. no matter if you are playing for a country or a franchise... game is the game. some people walk away even if they are not out see how Ravi Bopara left the field on his own yesterday but the field umpired referred to TV umpire on his own and then he was brought back into the game. Some guys like Stuart Broad dont walk since they want every chance to go away if they are playing for their country. no matter if he was out or not out... you cant judge a persons loyalty on such grounds. Man is err. so let it be as its the beauty of being in the present unrobotic!

• shahbazhussain on August 30, 2013, 4:57 GMT

Amzing man! Sanga, no matter which team you play.... we love you.. when you play it feels like you are playing for my country. even if you are playing against Pakistan I want you go beyond your own limits... I am a big fan of you... great man.

• Nmiduna on August 30, 2013, 4:47 GMT

guys please don't make this a loyalty issue..please see the bigger picture here! SLC is NOT sri lanka, actually lot of it is far from being Sri Lankan. i am Sri Lankan and i would've respect Sanga's decision whatever it is coz i believe in him and he's done something to the country! don't get carried away with what you see and what you are being made to see.

• on August 30, 2013, 4:47 GMT

SLC is one of the worst governing body in SL. who insult player's reputation. hope sanga will come strong.

• anver777 on August 30, 2013, 4:36 GMT

Sanga you beauty, a super shot with a straight bat !!!!!! a fine example for others too....

• satishchandar on August 30, 2013, 4:32 GMT

Good job Sanga.. He is a walker and speaks gentle.. I would rate him as a very good batsman among the southhpaws.. But unless he takes his genuinity while batting while appealing, he wouldn't be regarded as "Classical" cricketer by me and i am sure many others would be with me.. Pretty surprising to see a guy guy who walks when batting but chooses to appeal wildly when it is clearly not out.. Being inconsistently genuine is of no value..

• nextgenapollo on August 30, 2013, 4:30 GMT

Dont you worry Sanga, No matter where you play, which team u play for, you shall always have our respect. #CSK fan

• PadMarley on August 30, 2013, 4:18 GMT

At the end of the day... certain legends in world cricket stay there and remain as legends for one thing.That is Charactor!! Sanga got it!! People like Nishantha Ranatunage will be forgotten, anyone can do his job!! Becoming a Sanga takes a lot. What Sanga will become at the end of the day will only be a dream to those in SLC, so they will hurt him while they can.

• sachin_vvsfan on August 30, 2013, 4:18 GMT

Why is the concept of representing 'Nation First' coming in to picture here? This is not inter-national tournament rather inter-club/franchise tournament and franchise/player(in that order) should choose what fits best for them. CL is fading away and fans are still fighting over this Nation vs Foreign issue

• on August 30, 2013, 4:15 GMT

Well done Sanga, done the right thing. True son of this land and I wish we have many more of same.

• on August 30, 2013, 3:56 GMT

Due to this tug of war, the country and Kumar Sangakkara are going to loose to the tune of US $150,000 in foreign exchange.

• on August 30, 2013, 3:55 GMT

He can do whatever he wants, he made sacrifieses to get to where he is now. We are talking about franchise cricket here and there is no such a word as loyalty in franchise dictionary, it's all about money, plus it's not like he is missing an international game???

• Cricketluv on August 30, 2013, 3:37 GMT

My dear Sanga. We have no doubts about your loyalty to the country. Even if you took the decision to play Hydrabad , people might not consider it as the context is not testing the loyalty. It is just a matter of what would bring more credits to the country. In a post like this we cannot discuss this. One of my friends suggested, Sanga should have played for Hydrabad, earn that huge money and used that money to help the poor children in Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka Cricket will also get their share and they can create a a few jobs and pay the salaries to them. People might disagree to his idea. But worth thinking when we consider what a tiny event that tournament is. Announce your plans to how the money is spent to the poor, and play forHydrabad is his suggestion. After two weeks no one will praise you for playing Kandurata. If 1.4 million is spent to the poor, they will bless you for ever. He further clarifies. Thanks.

• on August 30, 2013, 3:20 GMT

If he chooses SRH or Kanduratta, it's nothing matter. We always behind him. It's definitly not the case of country vs money as he said. Any way he is a pure gentle man. Massive respect Sanga...!!

• gocool_here on August 30, 2013, 3:16 GMT

The important question before asking whether Sanga should represent his home team or IPL team is, whether Kandurata Maroons is his home team or not? If I am not wrong, this is just one of the teams made up quite recently by SL cricket board after SLPL was cancelled. And If I am not wrong, Sanga played only 4 or 5 games totally for this team or with this team. May be he played for Kandurata domestic team (based on his cricinfo profile), but is that the same team as Kandurata Maroons? All players (almost atleast) played for Kandurata Maroons are from Kandurata domestic team or this is one of the 4 mixed teams made up just for champions league? So this is not exactly his home team and possibly this team will be dissolved after champions league since next year he will be playing for his franchise or home team (if everything goes well for SLPL). Not fair!

• on August 30, 2013, 2:47 GMT

Sanka You are truly a sportsman with patriotism. Salutes to you.

• chaitukash79 on August 30, 2013, 2:47 GMT

Treachery, trick, disloyal?! People - don't you get it? This is a FRANCHISE to FRANCHISE tournament! Nobody is representing their country. Have you ever seen discussions such as this in FIFA Champions Trophy?! I am surprised that most of the criticisms of Sangakara here is coming from Sri Lankan fans. I think Sanga is one of the most honest and committed cricketers the world's ever seen along with Rahul Dravid. Its amzing how gullible we all are to a few comments by so called cricket administrators. No wonder Sanga is so upset!

• kuldeep1109 on August 30, 2013, 2:38 GMT

@the_blue_android: Very true. Smart observation!!

• Jarr30 on August 30, 2013, 2:15 GMT

Who cares which team Sanga plays, Mumbai Indians will win CLT20. HDY Sunrisers is crap team and I have no clue abt kadudata team.

• TheXI on August 30, 2013, 2:13 GMT

The whole system is flawed. If a team with CLT20 eligibility has signed a player that he should not be allowed to sign with another team. If a player chooses to join the IPL they should not take part in their domestic T20 and vice versa. If a player wants to represent their national representative then they shouldn't sign with the ipl.

• ashishcooltech on August 30, 2013, 2:08 GMT

Doubting the commitment and moral integrity of someone like Sangakarra is ridiculous. He plays for SL with full commitment even when they don't pay him salary for months. Couldn't agree more with Sangakarra here. This is a franchise vs franchise competition. A player should be allowed to choose the franchise as he wants.. That was a petty statement by the board; trying to show that they are willing to loose money to get Sanga to play for Kandurata. Sanga is loosing money from his pocket, unlike the board.. Would be interesting to see if the same person would be ready to loose money from his pocket to get Sanga to play for Kandurata. A classic example of a great person being managed by and working under a petty politician.

• on August 30, 2013, 1:48 GMT

Passive aggression works in all kinds of relationships I guess.. Having said that, his loyalty to the IPL franchise has not been questioned.. This makes one wonders how club and city based loyalty would be held over national priorities by IPL franchises?? This can happen to a Kevin Pietersen or even a Steve Smith.. IPL in this case couldn't even get a player from playing for a club from his country, how is IPL going to ruin test cricket?? It is simple.. All boards are authoritarian.. Nit just the BCCI..

• ProdigyA on August 30, 2013, 1:40 GMT

Looks like lot of people here r commenting without reading the article and r just going by the title. He clearly was forced into making this decision and blames the SLC for making it such a big deal.

• on August 30, 2013, 1:30 GMT

Gud decision sanga.. respect ur country always over money..

• ChandraPrince on August 30, 2013, 1:29 GMT

Sanga we support you always!

• hayagriva on August 30, 2013, 1:07 GMT

It is indeed a pity when administrators interfere and force players to make such decisions. If the SLC was a generously paying entity, they could have a moral right to force their players. The professional career of sportsmen are limited and they should not be forced to make such choices. Its like being forced to work for a lower paid job, while you actually have a super contract in your hands.

Champions League is not about country or Loyalty. Its club cricket.

• thebrownie on August 30, 2013, 0:43 GMT

how exactly is playing for a franchise tied to a country loyalty? And what exactly is wrong with Sangakarra looking after himself by playing with SRH? It is the champions league after all, not the world cup. I would have applauded Sangakara if he has actually stuck to SRH, not that I care about either the IPL or the Champions league.

• soorajiyer on August 30, 2013, 0:38 GMT

For heavens sake, its franchises business folks.. Its not country vs country. If after so many years you are questioning Saga's commitment to Srilankan Cricket, thats ridiculous.. Between this is coming from an Indian & Sanga/Mahela are in my fav world XI always..

• on August 30, 2013, 0:26 GMT

Just because slc owned the franchise and only reason they had this tournament is due to not been able to get the slpl going was altogether a display of slc's incompetence. Country or not slc as a management team is the biggest culprit by bringing discredit to the country through its mismanagement and playing the whole patriotic card. It wud have been better for Sanga to have opted out of the local T20 tournament for personal reasons n wud have never required to go through this dilemma. Anyone in this forum willing to give up 150K usd be it for country or self cast the first stone of accusation.

• on August 29, 2013, 23:47 GMT

After being benched for almost 80% of the matches by SRH including the final, Sanga played no part in the SRH IPL success. Kandurata is an entirely different story. Sanaga played an important role in the Kandurata march to success. He has to play for Kandurata. A further bit of advice to Sanga. Give up the IPL. Why should a top ranking player suffer the ignominy of being benched by a team playing carnival cricket. Stay at home and spend some quality time with your wife & kids.

• on August 29, 2013, 22:58 GMT

Let the player or the club decide

• Herath-UK on August 29, 2013, 22:50 GMT

These players are so much indebted to SLC;he did have a horrible, to say the least, a horrible IPL where he would not have fetched a penny in future sales if not for the platform given immediately by the SLC picking him up still for the tri series in WI & the subsequent SA series where he shone & back in demand in future IPL deals. There were increasing demands to drop him for young blood but the SLC stuck with him. Therefore he can console himself that in fact he has gained rather than lost in the broader sense of things because of the SLC. However to prevent such disasters in the future both the players and the SLC should ratify together a future course of action to cover all these eventualities at least now,I think all were caught napping. Ranil Herath - Kent

• on August 29, 2013, 22:47 GMT

A similar thing would have happened if an Indian or Pak player played for a foreign franchise This pettiminded, false sense of patriotism is subcontinental

• ramz30380 on August 29, 2013, 22:03 GMT

This is ridiculous from the SLC - to condemn a player of this man's caliber and what he has done for the country. First of all this is not an international tournament - so where does country come into play? This is club and franchise cricket - I think the SLC isn't very clear about that in the first place.

SL cricket board is already in doldrums with their finances - if they were smart, they would look at their realistic chances of letting Sangakarra go and earning a fat pay for the same. They should be on the other side of the table convincing this man to play for his IPL franchise from which the SL board will gain more!

There is no question of country over money here! They stand to lose big time and in the process have hurt a very valuable and wonderful player!

@the_blue_android - Sanga is an inspiration to the youngsters in the SRH side whether he plays in the XI or not. Dont criticise a player of his stature!

• on August 29, 2013, 21:50 GMT

happy to hear this!!!!!!!!!!!!

• on August 29, 2013, 21:40 GMT

Is SLC Paying him or compensating him properly,this guy like few other has given his heart to Sri Lanka team He deserves the best and y SLC has to twist and turn ,he is their player and command him we want you to play for our team and we will figure it out with IPL.Same thing happend with T&T players bcos most of them play IPL .

• akpy on August 29, 2013, 21:30 GMT

true loyalty means you simply do not play for any other team when you know a clash can happen....will sachin play for any team other than mumbai? Not a chance. But dravid/saurav played for other teams within IPL which in itself is no crime but at least they did not lecture about loyalty because they knew it was about money and they never tried to play for any other league. Kumble on the other hand retired as soon as he knew RCB did not want him as a player but he was more than happy to take up a non-playing position with MI because that is just a professional job. I agree with certain comments here that sanga is too clever and intelligent a person to be a victim - somehow that doesnt gel.

• CricketFanInCA on August 29, 2013, 21:28 GMT

Sanga's comment on mediocore Ranatunga and SLC is good. Anyhow this is good for SRH because Sanga was not even in playing XI most of the IPL 2013.

• Jagath1224 on August 29, 2013, 21:07 GMT

Well said Sanga. We all know how generous you are when it comes to money. .Distributing the man of the match/ tournemant prize money among the support staff being one of them..! Well said again.. Proud of you.

• nastee on August 29, 2013, 21:05 GMT

I am not from SL have always found Kumar to be a fierce competitor who gives it his all. Does not come across as a money hungry & CLT20 is a franchise based tournament what the hell does country have to do with it

• delhi-belly on August 29, 2013, 21:01 GMT

shame on SL Board to give such a statement..its none of their matter.. its between franchisees... and a player is free to choose which franchise he wants to play..such kind of arm twisting is not good for SL cricket...they should focus more on bringing youngsters to SL national side..since there is a serious dearth of youngsters who will replace sanga, mahela, dilshan etc in SL cricket..the future of SL cricket does not look bright

• on August 29, 2013, 21:01 GMT

Sangakkara is perhaps one of the most righteous men around when it comes to principles, and SLC is hardly known for that. Even without this explanation I doubt the Sri Lankan cricket fans (and world cricket fans at large) would've seen Sanga in bad light. But this statement only makes it more obvious who is to blame. It's sad that SLC had the audacity to put a man under scanner, who nearly gave up his life playing cricket for the country ..

• Itachi_san on August 29, 2013, 20:51 GMT

What this brings to the fore is the crazy logic behind SLC administration. Once again proves that they do not know what they are doing. How the board is still broke after playing so many money making ODI's against India over the last 5 years, and the fact that they don't play any test cricket, but expect their young batsmen to perform and step up when they do play the odd "2 test" series is sad. In this case, as a broke board if u can turn down 150k, and penalise and push one of your star players by making out a franchise system into a country issue is in bad taste. If you cant find replacement for players, you are in the wrong as a provincial team. Its Sri Lanka not WI where there are actual countries playing as provinces. Wonder if that BCCSL Secretary would not take his salary for a month every year for SL Cricket. Donate it for the debt - for the country as he put it!

• Cpt.Meanster on August 29, 2013, 20:42 GMT

Sanga has been clearly forced to play for Kandurata. It's obvious from his outcry. This ALWAYS happens in Sri Lankan cricket. Otherwise, there is NO reason for Sanga to be publicly upset about this. It's funny how some Sri Lankan supporters quickly praise Sanga for his so called 'loyalty'. This ain't about loyalty, it's about arm wrestling a player's independent thought process and forcing him to submission. Anyway, I wanted Sanga to play for Kandurata. Now they have some leadership.

• on August 29, 2013, 20:28 GMT

He only got a few more years to play cricket! and he should be allowed to make the best use out of it. Although he a pretty wealthy guy SLC will not pay his bills for the rest of his life. Im Sri Lankan but SHAME ON SLC!

• CanuckCricket on August 29, 2013, 20:16 GMT

@blue_android...This article states he will loose money has nothing to do if he plays or not. Form for SRH is rubbish, what matters is he's the leading run machine in ODI's this year. And if it were up to him he would probably want to play Test cricket most of the time.

• on August 29, 2013, 20:15 GMT

Sanga is great but anyone tell why he should take the financial loss for this club cricket ??????????

• on August 29, 2013, 19:59 GMT

The bottom line is SLC has no right to dictate to players. SLC needs IPL to cover up for wasting Board money on 2 new stadiums with ineficient officials. SLC simply stinks and if they had money, would have banned SL players playing in IPL at expense of cancelling Tests. Also Is Sanga talking theu his hat when he says Tests are of paramount importance . R Rodrigo

• SandipManjrekar on August 29, 2013, 19:47 GMT

Kumar Sangakkara is the most unfortunate cricketer that no single person understands him in his own country. It is quite natural why he hits out SLC after looking at the comments on this blog here. Is there any person here to ask SLC why they conducted provincial T20 tournament in a hurry? Is that tourney for talent search? Why didn't anyone ask question about money v/s Country when Tests cancelled & tournament conducted by SLC? Is it applicable for a player only? Not for SLC???

It sounds me double standard by fans here.

• SevereCritic on August 29, 2013, 19:41 GMT

At SLC - nice way to treat the greatest SL batsman in the history of SL cricket.

• on August 29, 2013, 19:34 GMT

SLC board should at least have the decency to clarify the player's position and apologize for the board's attitude.

• BigINDFan on August 29, 2013, 19:30 GMT

If SRH cannot guarantee a place in the final XI then Sanga took the right decision whether SLC thinks he is loyal or not. If you talk about loyalty SLC should compensate Sanga for his loss by giving him a special loyalty award. He is a great player and not to be treated like this.

As Sanga points out this is franchise cricket, where does country come in? Lets just say when there is an opportunity to knock the IPL people go for it.

• on August 29, 2013, 19:16 GMT

first the cowdrey lecture, and now this. well played Sanga... SLC, apply cold water on burnt area

and fellow Lankans, please read the article before commenting. I'm no fan of IPL, but SLC is not the best cricket board either, we should admit

• on August 29, 2013, 19:10 GMT

as if kandurata can win any match in clt20.!!!!!!!!!

• on August 29, 2013, 19:02 GMT

good to see him representing his country club rather than ipl...unlike pollard. thank you sanga

• on August 29, 2013, 19:01 GMT

Sanga is probably one of the finest individuals that the game of cricket has ever seen. I wish we could have a few like Sanga here in India too! A man who is honest and is not afraid to speak up!

• Rohit... on August 29, 2013, 18:53 GMT

Sangakara dared to bring this issue... Its a FRANCHISE tournament...NOT a COUNTRY tournament...What will SL get by winning the tournament??? nothing except for the participation fees...The winning amount will be consumed by the franchise owners...People should realise that the players are paid to play for their franchise owners and not for the country... Those who said that he chose country over money should read this article again.

• Rkeys on August 29, 2013, 18:53 GMT

@all. It seems that most of u doesn't want to understand what's written.for god's sake, it's not a country issue.Decision should have been pure personal. If u talk money, u cannot compare. Sanga looses much more than the SL board. Hence it's hypocritical of them to decide on Sanga's behalf. Just absurd!

• on August 29, 2013, 18:46 GMT

god help us developing nations

• on August 29, 2013, 18:28 GMT

well done sang. What all crickets fans should understand is that playing IPL is just trying to make the most out of what these players can earn until they are fit to play cricket. After retirement they only have their savings so why not earn while you can by selling your talent. Salute you for the decision you made and probably it was made due to the fact that sanga knew that he would not be in the playing 11 for sunrises.

• on August 29, 2013, 18:12 GMT

Hats off to YOU sanga...yo always great

• on August 29, 2013, 18:06 GMT

Well Done Sanga!

• on August 29, 2013, 17:53 GMT

It is sad both sanga and SLC losing money.

• sachinisawesome on August 29, 2013, 17:50 GMT

Guys praising his loyalty please read the article carefully. He was forced to choose his local team not like he is happy. He wanted to play for SRH. He would have been loyal if he hadn't said anything against SLC. Please guys apply some sense.

• IndianCoolGuy on August 29, 2013, 17:47 GMT

Thank God. Sunrisers will have a right combination to choose.

• RaghuNaidu2030 on August 29, 2013, 17:42 GMT

Hey Sanga sir, u are a hero not for only SL but also for cricketing world lovers...Iam a Hyderabadi fan....I respect your decision...!

• MaruthuDelft on August 29, 2013, 17:29 GMT

Sanga failed badly with Sunrisers! Whatever; he has always been distinguished.

• anilkp on August 29, 2013, 17:27 GMT

"No doubt about the decision. He was always going to play for country"! Oh, friends, please do not spice this up so blindly. There is nothing to do with country here--as Sanga so clearly exsplains. These are franchises that layers play for. You should look to play for whichever franchise pays you better, treats you better, gives you the respect and space that you deserve. There is no "country vs money" here; Sanga was not going to play for India or England. Besides, if you look deep, you will be shocked to realize that the Indian players do not play for their country! They play for BCCI, which is a fully private body completely independent of any governmental control. The only control the government excercises is to advice BCCI to not schedule matches with a team whose country allegedly supports harmful activities against India. The players should be as free as us cricket lovers, free to chose an employer.

• on August 29, 2013, 17:26 GMT

Sanga was forced to play for Kundurtha. Dont know if he will be selected by SRH, although his recent form hints otherwise. This is stupidity by cricket boards. after all this is a cricket business tournament, tey cannot force a player to play for a particular franchise. this is not a international cricket where countries are competing with each other. Who will bare the loss of $140K? poor sanga lost it all:(

• Ben2014 on August 29, 2013, 17:23 GMT

Not sure of the intention of SLC. It seems they are as ignorant as ta group of commoners who don't have much of cricket knowledge but go with the crowd mentality. There is no "Country" thing in CLT20. The CLT20 itself is a franchise - not an ICC entity. How on earth can they think it is a country playing another country? CLT20 is mainly owned by BCCI with CA and CSA holding shares. Just to add spice, the CLT20 owners are getting some other franchises to "qualify" to play in CLT20. SLC is making itself a victim and trample upon players like Sanga in the process. SLC should be ashamed of itself. Try to have a better understanding of club cricket, you blockheads.

• on August 29, 2013, 17:21 GMT

well done sanga,first also country,second also country and third also country.we salute you.......!!!

• on August 29, 2013, 17:21 GMT

I quite agree with Sanga's comment about the SL cricket board making it a country versus money thing, which it is not. And I have to see Sanga came out better off in the whole deal, reputation wise, not only because he is playing for the team from his country but also that he actually got his point across about the cricket board twisting his arm on the issue.

• on August 29, 2013, 17:17 GMT

it should have been players choice not about the franchises. bcoz its only about money for players or franchise.

• IndianEagle on August 29, 2013, 17:13 GMT

@jikol @nayanmanibuyan. He is not loyal, if loyal then why he slammed slc. We can say this, in this way ' i am forced to play'.

• on August 29, 2013, 17:11 GMT

SL Board has some financial issues right??? And Sanga playing for the IPL team wld hv brought them $150,000...hmmmm this aint about country, its about common sense...SL gave up tests matches in West Indies earlier this year to profit from the Tri-series when India joined in so they can recover from the debt they are in,this shld hv been an easy choice for them,let Sanga play for the IPL team n bring in a youngster to gain more exposure n also get the board money..its a win-win for everyone coz clearly Sanga wanted to play for the IPL team!!!!!!

• ODI_BestFormOfCricket on August 29, 2013, 17:06 GMT

@allcomments_till. First read article fully. He lashed out SLC, why? and this is not a country vs franchise.

• rogues13 on August 29, 2013, 16:59 GMT

ummm....from his comments, its clear that he has been forced to play for Kandurata, ....anyways he wouldnt have been a part of playing 11 for sunrisers....

• on August 29, 2013, 16:59 GMT

ur great sanga....proud us

• KenyD on August 29, 2013, 16:57 GMT

What a shame! Looks like he was forced into it. This is a franchise tournament and boards should have no say in who plays for which team. Should purely be a personal decision. Shame on the SL board for doing that.

• the_blue_android on August 29, 2013, 16:46 GMT

Everyone is falling for this trick. Sanga knew he did not perform well at all for SRH and he was going to be traded or gotten rid off pretty soon by SRH. So if he did end up playing for SRH and perform poorly, as he did the entire season, he would have been discared by them and and would have been discarded by Kondurata as well for being disloyal. He's merely covering all his bases. It's called a bird in hand is better than two in bush!

• on August 29, 2013, 16:44 GMT

Great decision Sanga. You did the right thing.

• sweetangel135 on August 29, 2013, 16:38 GMT

thums up if you like it wowww. but we have to put a logo n new team uniform to our champs....

• saketh1992 on August 29, 2013, 16:30 GMT

this is really good news for Srh fans he knew it even though he opts for SRH he couldn't feature in playing 11 so he opted for his national side his performance was not so impressive in ipl-6 with mere 120 runs with 100 odd strike rate

• jikol on August 29, 2013, 16:29 GMT

No doubt about the decision. He was always going to play for country. Money isn't the life, its the happiness gained through loyalty which lives people happy and proud. Hats off to you Sir! You again showed Sri Lankan quality. Wish Kandurata Maroons make a surprise impact in Champions league.

• on August 29, 2013, 16:29 GMT

wow..what a cool decision by him...great lion..country first..#respect

• on August 29, 2013, 16:23 GMT

SRH has good chances of wining CLT20 after Sanga's descision

• Gurram on August 29, 2013, 16:22 GMT

right choice. It must be made mandatory to represent home team.

• NayanManiBhuyan on August 29, 2013, 16:20 GMT

Kumar Sangakkara has done the right thing by opting to play for his domestic side. Every players should need to learn from Sangakkara to play for their domestic side from where they are become a top player. If every players play for their domestic side than only the real meaning of Champions Trophy will stand otherwise its become a trophy of top and rich cricket playing nation like India, Australia, England where players from other country can make only money. So, guys please play for your own domestic side. If they are not qualified than its your choice.

• on August 29, 2013, 16:14 GMT

oopzz.. feeling sry for sanga... he was put to a critical situation... kandurata canot b known as a team representing sri lanka, itz just a club team under individual sponsers.. sanga cud have gone either wau rathr yhan presuring hmself

• on August 29, 2013, 16:13 GMT

Weldone...Sanga....Country First

• on August 29, 2013, 16:11 GMT

one he was out of form he was there for sunrisers doing nothing now he is at his own but playing for kandurata, but its good it shows his level,, he is a gem of person

• ODI_BestFormOfCricket on August 29, 2013, 16:06 GMT

ipl franchise should not pay even penny to players who opted to play local teams instead of ipl.

• on August 29, 2013, 15:57 GMT

Congragulation sanga we are with you either play for kandurata or sunrise this time you won over slc sec.....

• CricketChat on August 29, 2013, 15:57 GMT

Sunrisers who shelled a lot of money to acquire Sanga will not be happy. Wouldn't be surprised if they trade him in next year's auction. I think SL board must have put a lot of pressure on him to play for local team.

• sameeratharanga on August 29, 2013, 15:54 GMT

Blood is thicker than Water. Come on Sanga. Sri Lankan Nation respects you much more.. All the best for Kandurata...

• on August 29, 2013, 15:53 GMT

Respect Sanga......The Gentleman Cricketer..............!!!!

• Surajdon9 on August 29, 2013, 15:40 GMT

Hats off to u legend.U made us pride again.really true servant of SL cricket.all the best.

• on August 29, 2013, 15:40 GMT

A very very good decision...that is how it should be....

• on August 29, 2013, 15:40 GMT

A very very good decision...that is how it should be....

• Surajdon9 on August 29, 2013, 15:40 GMT

• on August 29, 2013, 15:53 GMT

Respect Sanga......The Gentleman Cricketer..............!!!!

• sameeratharanga on August 29, 2013, 15:54 GMT