Kotla pitch fiasco

Appeals commissioner dismisses BCCl's Kotla appeal

Cricinfo staff

February 10, 2010

Text size: A | A

The Feroz Shah Kotla outfield stands littered with debris thrown by angry supporters after the match was abandoned, India v Sri Lanka, 5th ODI, December 27, 2009
Unruly scenes at the Kotla with the India-Sri Lanka ODI being called off © AFP
Enlarge

The appeal by the BCCI challenging the 12-month ban imposed by the ICC on the Feroz Shah Kotla, has been dismissed by an independent appeals commissioner. Michael Beloff QC conducted the hearing via teleconference and issued his written judgment today.

The Indian board was understood to have disputed the ICC's classification of the pitch used for the India-Sri Lanka ODI on December 27 last year as "dangerous" and "unfit". The match had been called off after 23.3 overs during which Sri Lankan players received several blows due to severely varying bounce.

"In his judgment, Beloff states that following the due consideration of all the evidence and submissions from both the ICC and BCCI, the correct decision was taken by Dave Richardson, the ICC's general manager of cricket, and Ranjan Madugalle, the match referee," said a release from the ICC. "Mr Beloff added the imposed suspension until the end of 2010 was proportionate in this case."

Haroon Lorgat, the ICC chief executive, said the focus now was to get the venue ready in time for 2011 World Cup. "The ICC's pitch consultant will travel shortly to Feroz Shah Kotla, a ground with a long and proud history, to begin the process of remedial work that will ensure the pitch is restored to its former glory," he said.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

TopTop
Email Feedback Print
Share
E-mail
Feedback
Print
ESPNcricinfo staffClose
News | Features Last 3 days
News | Features Last 3 days