ICC Awards 2011 September 12, 2011

Stafanie Taylor wins Women's Cricketer award

ESPNcricinfo staff

West Indies allrounder Stafanie Taylor has been named the ICC Women's Cricketer of the Year for 2011, at the annual awards ceremony in London.

Taylor, 20, played 10 ODIs during the voting period (August 11, 2010 - August 3, 2011), scoring 610 runs at an average of 76.25, and accounted for 15 victims with her offspin. She also picked up five wickets and made 49 runs in Twenty20 Internationals.

Taylor staved off competition from the English duo of Charlotte Edwards and Lydia Greenway, and Australia's Shelley Nitschke who was last year's winner. The award rounds off a successful year for Taylor who was part of the West Indies side that won the ICC Women's Twenty20 Cricket Challenge in South Africa.

"It is a fantastic honour to be named the ICC Women's Cricketer of the Year," said Taylor, who was absent, having just finished a home series against Pakistan yesterday. "I said before the awards that my goal was to be the number one women's cricketer in the world and I'm on my way there with the rankings and to be named the winner of this award makes me extremely happy.

"I would like to thank my team-mates and coaches from the West Indies team, my domestic side Jamaica, and also my family for all the support they continue to give me and I hope I can continue to represent the West Indies with pride."

• Nishant2012 on September 15, 2011, 12:15 GMT

Stafanie Taylor has been a promising girl for the West indies.. she is the one who always rescue windies wen the chips r down... well done and keep the good wrk going... deserved it

• AlanHarrison on September 13, 2011, 11:24 GMT

Although Charlotte Edwards would have been my choice, that's probably because I am English and biased. Well done Ms Taylor, a worthy winner I am sure, and an achievement which I hope wins increased recognition for the women's game in the region.

• WindiesWillow on September 13, 2011, 0:58 GMT

Congratulations to another Westg Indian cricketer who has worked very hard. I hope she gets as much recognition as plyers from other countries are getting.

• on September 12, 2011, 20:33 GMT

Congrats Girl.... yuh a real batsman

• Nishant2012 on September 15, 2011, 12:15 GMT

• AlanHarrison on September 13, 2011, 11:24 GMT

• WindiesWillow on September 13, 2011, 0:58 GMT

• on September 12, 2011, 20:33 GMT

Congrats Girl.... yuh a real batsman

• No featured comments at the moment.

• on September 12, 2011, 20:33 GMT