The first Lord's was opened by Thomas Lord in 1787 to fulfill the need for an enclosed ground to host major matches for the White Conduit Club. He leased land at Dorset Fields in Marylebone - what is now Dorset Square - the venue became known as Lord's Ground and the White Conduit became the Marylebone CC. The first match was staged on May 31, 1787 between Middlesex (with two of Berkshire and one of Kent) and Essex (with two given men). The world's oldest continually-played fixture - Eton v Harrow - was first held in 1805 when Lord Byron was on the losing Harrow side. The final fixture was on August 17, 1810. In 1809 the land was sold for development and Lord, whose lease had expired, took his turfs to a new site in Regent's Park. Although the site is now built over, there is a plaque on a hut in the square's garden.
Tube - Baker Street (Bakerloo/Metroplitan/Jubilee/Circle/Hammersmith & City lines) is 200 yards from the ground
Train - Marylebone station is about 200 yards away
Car - Parking is limited, on short-term meters and expensive
Map Click here