1848
6000
No
Llantwit Road End, Dyfed Road End
Glamorgan
20:13, Mon Aug 03, 2015 (UTC +0100)
The Gnoll
 

Profile

Neath CC was formed in 1848 and from 1871 the ground at The Gnoll was shared with Neath RFC. Glamorgan first played at the venue in 1934 and it soon proved popular with both players and spectators, despite a high water table which made it slow to drain. Those problems eventually led to the ground being dropped for three-day games, and following a rain-affected Benson & Hedges match in 1974, the county stopped using it altogether. In 1985, the local council offered Glamorgan a large sum to host the game against the Australians there, and after a successful match, the venue was reinstated to the circuit, but again dropped in the mid 1990s as matches were centred on Cardiff. The record attendance at The Gnoll was in 1948 when 12,000 watched the Warwickshire game.

In 1954, Glamorgan built an indoor cricket school at the ground, and this was completely modernised and reopened in 1984.
Martin Williamson

Latest Articles

Latest Photos

A general view of Neath
A general view of Neath
© Getty Images

Weather

Weather.com
Mon
03/08

Showers/Wind Late
Showers/Wind Late

Min 13° C
Tue
04/08

Showers/Wind
Showers/Wind

Max 17° C
Min 13° C
Wed
05/08

Showers
Showers

Max 18° C
Min 14° C
Thu
06/08

AM Showers
AM Showers

Max 19° C
Min 11° C

Hour by Hour forecast » | 10-day forecast »

Ground Fixtures Ground Results
No fixtures scheduled