2nd Match, Australia v Pakistan, Natwest Series, Statistical Highlights
- It was the 1720th ODI in cricket history.
- It was the 58th match between these two sides. The record now reads :
Australia 32, Pakistan 23, tied one and abandoned 2.
- It was the fifth match between these two sides on English soil.
Australia is now ahead with 3-2 score.
- Umpires Peter Willey and AGT Whitehead were officiating in their 22nd
and 14th match respectively.
- Rashid Latif (66) scored his second fifty in his 103rd match. This was
also his highest ODI score beating the 50 that he made against India
at Sharjah on 15-04-1996.
- Latif's innings is the highest by a Pakistani wicketkeeper against
Australia beating Salim Yousuf's 59 at Sydney on 25-02-1990.
- The 124 run-partnership between Yousuf Youhana and Rashid Latif is the
alltime record for seventh wicket in ODIs. The pair surpassed the 119
run-partnership between Kenyan pair of Thomas Odoyo and Tony Suji
against Zimbabwe at Nairobi (Aga Khan) on 16-10-1997.
- The previous highest seventh wicket partnership for Pakistan was of
108 runs between Rameez Raja and Anil Dalpat against New Zealand at
Christchurch in 1984-85. The previous highest seventh wicket
partnership against Australia was worth 100 runs between Saurav
Ganguly and Sunil Joshi at Colombo SSC on 06-09-1996.
- Brett Lee's figures of 10-1-85-1 (RpO 8.50) are the most expensive by
an Australian in a ten over spell. The previous record was of 75 runs
jointly held by Craig McDermott (v India at Jaipur on 07-09-1986) and
Brendon Julian (v Pak at Lahore on 10-11-1998).
- Lee's figures are also the fourth joint most uneconomical in a ten over spell in One-Day Internationals' history. The accompanying table has the details :
RpO Figures Bowler For Vs Venue Date 9.70 (10-0-97-1) ALF De Mel SL WI Karachi 13-10-1987 9.40 (10-0-94-3) ST Jayasuriya SL Pak Nairobi Gym 04-10-1996 8.60 (10-0-86-0) T Kumaran Ind Pak Dhaka 03-06-2000 8.60 (10-0-86-2) Waqar YounisPak SL Benoni 15-04-1998 8.50 (10-0-85-1) Ata-ur-RahmanPak Ind Sharjah 15-04-1996 8.50 (10-0-85-0) BS Lee Aus Pak Cardiff 09-06-2001
- Adam Gilchrist with three dismissals in this match has now taken his
tally of victims against Pakistan to 21 which places him second among
the Australians behind Ian Healy (39 dismissals from 25 matches) and
ahead of Rodney Marsh (20 dismissals from 13 matches).
- The wicket of Shoaib Akhtar was 100th for Glenn McGrath on foreign
soil. He became third Australian after Shane Warne (138 wickets in 94
matches) and Damien Fleming (108 wickets in 65 matches). Incidentally
Pakistan's Wasim Akram with 371 wickets from 252 matches holds the
world record of most wickets in `away' matches.
- Ricky Ponting (70) was scoring his fourth consecutive fifty against
Pakistan. He had scored 53 at Melbourne on 23-01-2000, followed it up
with 50 also at Melbourne on 02-02-2000 in the first final of World
Series Cup and then notched up 78 at Sydney on 04-02-2000 in the
- Shoaib Akhtar's figures of 5-0-41-1 (RpO 8.20) are the most expensive
by a Pakistani in a five over spell against Australia. Mohsin Kamal
had conceded 39 runs in his five overs at Lahore on 14-10-1988.
- Ricky Ponting was winning his ninth Man of the Match award.
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.