8th Match, Australia v Pakistan, NatWest Series, Statistical Highlights
- It was the 1725th ODI in cricket history.
- It was the 200th match on English soil. England became third country
after Australia (385) and India (219) to host 200 or more matches.
- Neil Mallender and George Sharp were officiating in their second and
23rd match respectively.
- The two wickets in this match has taken Shane Warne's wicket tally to
28 in 17 matches on English soil - most by an Australian. Warne
surpassed Dennis Lillee's tally of 27 wickets from 17 matches.
- Damien Martyn's figures of 5-0-45-1 (RpO 9.00) are the worst by an
Australian in a five over spell against Pakistan. The previous record
was held by Terry Alderman who conceded 39 runs in five overs while
capturing one wicket at Brisbane on 11-02-1990.
- Waqar Younis (6-59) was capturing six wickets for the second time in
succession. He had returned the figures of seven for 36 against
England at Leeds just two days back. Waqar became first bowler in ODI
history to capture six wickets in two successive matches. Waqar has
now taken six wickets in a match on five occasions. No other bowler
has performed this feat more than once.
- Waqar's aggregate of 13 wickets in two successive matches is a new ODI
record. The previous record was of 11 wickets which was held by three
bowlers - by Waqar himself (in 1990) ,Australia's Garry Gilmour (in
1975) and Pakistan's Azhar Mahmood (in 2000).
- The catch of Matthew Hayden was 100th for Rashid Latif as wicketkeeper
in his 101st match. He became second Pakistani after Moin Khan (191)
and 13th keeper in all to reach this landmark.
- Adam Gilchrist's 29 ball fifty was the fifth fastest for Australia in ODIs. This was the second occasion Gilchrist was racing to his fifty off less than 30 balls. The other occasion being against India at Margao on 06-04-2001. The following table lists the fastest fifties for Australia :
Balls Batsman (Score) Opposition Venue Date
18 SP O'Donnell (74) v SL Sharjah 02-05-1990 26 WB Philips (53) v NZ Wellington 26-03-1986 28 TM Moody (56*) v BD Chester-le-Street 23-05-1999 28 AC Gilchrist (76) v Ind Margao 06-04-2001 29 AC Gilchrist (70) v Pak Nottingham 19-06-2001
- Steve Waugh now has aggregated 812 runs (ave. 54.13) in 23 matches on
English soil - most by an Australian. He surpassed brother Mark's runaggregate of 782 (ave. 43.44) from 19 matches.
- The tenth wicket partnership of 31 runs between Damien Fleming and
Jason Gillespie was Australia's best for this wicket against Pakistan.
This obliterated the previous highest of 13 between Simon O'Donnell
and Terry Alderman at Melbourne on 1984-85.
- Wasim Akram by conceding 68 runs in his 10 overs recorded his second
worst figures in his career spanning 16 years and 318 matches. Akram's
worst performance also came against Australia when he conceded 70 runs
off his 8.5 overs at Brisbane on 08-01-1989.
- Waqar Younis won his 15th Man of the Match award - second in successive matches.