March 5, 2002

Peace breaks out in Parore debate

The peace pipe was smoked at New Zealand Cricket headquarters today as chief executive Martin Snedden met with wicket-keeper Adam Parore and selection committee chairman Sir Richard Hadlee to defuse a potential selection snarler.

Parore, who last month said he was taking an indefinite break from all cricket, citing exhaustion, was unable to win selection in the Auckland team for the State Championship match this week against Central Districts.

Having made himself available for consideration that rejection by Auckland appeared to be an impediment toward his selection for the first Test starting in Christchurch next week.

The selection panel had made a precedent of ensuring that all players returning from injury or time away from the side had played either domestic four-day or one-day cricket to prove their readiness.

This policy appeared to leave Parore out in the cold - it still may.

However, Parore told Snedden and Hadlee today that the past month away from cricket had rejuvenated his desire to play.

"I was feeling exhausted after the Australian series and was planning a break after the England Tests.

"When I was left out of the one-day side I wanted to bring the break forward and I am grateful that New Zealand Cricket supported this decision.

"I am now feeling fully refreshed and it was very useful to meet face-to-face with Sir Richard and Martin and to tell them that I am 100% committed to a return for the England Tests," Parore said.

Hadlee said Parore's commitment was reassuring to the selection panel.

He said it had been helpful to speak directly to Parore and he had been reassured of Parore's fitness and commitment as a result of the discussions.

"The selectors will now sit down to debate the Test side in the sure knowledge that Adam Parore is fully committed to the cause," Hadlee said.