England news

Swann defends Pietersen one-day retirement

ESPNcricinfo staff

June 13, 2012

Kevin Pietersen has a word with Graeme Swann, India v England, 2nd Test, Mohali, 4th day, December 22, 2008
Graeme Swann has sympathy for Kevin Pietersen's retreat from England's unrelenting international schedule © Getty Images

England's offspinner Graeme Swann has voiced sympathy for Kevin Pietersen's decision to retire from one-day internationals to escape a relentless international schedule.

"There comes a time when you get towards the end of your career, into your thirties, when something's got to give," Swann has told The Cricket Paper. "You can flog yourself to death and fall to pieces or you can start to be quite wise and make a pragmatic decision.

"Whatever Kevin's made his decision for, whether it be financial matters or the family or whatever, I can understand where he's coming from because there's certainly times I look at a schedule and just think: 'How can I do this? My body's killing me. I haven't seen my kids, my wife is ready to get up and walk out because I'm never here.' We're human beings at the end of the day.

"I've got a kid being born at the end of the summer and I'm going to see her for a week in the first six months of her life. I look at that and think how am I going to do it? How can I possibly get through?

"If it was a couple of years down the line there'd be no two ways about it, I'd be saying, right, something's got to give and something has to go."

Swann insisted that Pietersen, like all players, had an absolute right to make his own decision about when to retire, in whole or part, from the England side.

"I can understand where Kev's coming from and I can understand where the ECB are coming from at the same time: 'We pay you well, we expect you play, it is a short career.' But people have to face facts that you are in control of your own destiny, so you decide: 'I've had enough, I'm going to retire from whatever form of the game,' then that's it."

Swann has repeatedly expressed disenchantment with the amount of 50-over cricket played by England, openly stating a preference for Tests and Twenty20, but he said he did not expect to follow a similar course.

"It's hard to say, but I think it would be all or nothing for me, to be honest," he said. "If you pick and choose which one to ease off then I think for me it'd cause a lessening of my affections in the other forms."

Posted by JG2704 on (June 16, 2012, 8:00 GMT)

@DannoTheManno - Aww another SA fan crying over their teams inability to win a series.If I'm wrong in anything I say please correct me or be more specific.Yes we have not beaten SA for 7 years but by the same token SA haven't won a home series vs Eng which started this millenium and yes you could possibly go back further for when Eng last beat SA at home. Truth is that from the last 6 series Eng and SA are dead level in series , even to a test. I'm not even saying that Eng are better than SA or will beat SA. Truth is there's prob not much to chose between Eng/SA and Aus. My point is that we're getting an increasing number of SA fans on our threads booing that they deserve to be number 1 , that they're the far superior side blah blah blah. All I have done is given examples of where SA themselves have fallen short. BTW I was one of the regulars during our whitewash with Pak.Please also remember I'm not the 1 giving it the big one about what will happen in the series . Please publish

Posted by DannoTheManno on (June 15, 2012, 10:30 GMT)

@JG2704 - yeah well done on that last "drawn" series. You fully deserved that result. The last time you beat SA in a series was in 2005.. thats 7 - count them - 7 years ago... i think you know that what you are saying is indeed wrong.. As i have already said.. lets watch the series.. i have a feeling you will be commenting a lot less after another of your captains is forced into retirement by the great Captain Smith.

Posted by JG2704 on (June 15, 2012, 8:44 GMT)

@IndiaNumeroUno on (June 14 2012, 17:36 PM GMT) Swann has done exceptionally well for England over the years - as the rankings show - even if he had a horrid ODI tour in India. To be honest I found that alot of the IPL teams go for name players above form players - even some who were picked for squads and I feel a batsman will usually pick up more interest than a bowler. Swann wasn't picked and neither was Mendis - both of who were top 5 T20 world ranked bowlers and Mendis's base price was very low indeed. Alf Thomas did well in his first few games and then wasn't selected for a while and Van Der Merwe got one game in which he did very well in and he was also cast aside and some of the Indian players went for silly money in the auction.It almost became like Ebay where decent items/players weren't selling at the start/base price but lesser items/players went for crazy bucks

Posted by venkatesh018 on (June 15, 2012, 6:08 GMT)

ECB, better start resting Swanny from meaningless one-day series. Otherwise, by the look of things they day isn't far off when England are going to lose their only world class spinner in ages, from all forms of the game for good.

Posted by the_blue_android on (June 14, 2012, 23:37 GMT)

@JG2704 - YES! I totally agree with you that our players look disinterested at the moment. 2012 didn't go too well for us Indians.

Posted by threeslipsandagully on (June 14, 2012, 22:45 GMT)

@IndiaNumeroUno - I'm not sure in what universe he's not a "proper spinner"; he bowls with a straight arm and turns the ball, which is more than can be said for an awful lot of spin bowlers today. Incidentally, he's ranked third in the world in test matches behind only Saeed Ajmal and Rangana Herath and ahead of any Indian bowler, spinner or otherwise. Pretty good for someone who's "not actually a proper spinner", right?

Posted by JG2704 on (June 14, 2012, 18:48 GMT)

@jimmy2s on (June 14 2012, 11:36 AM GMT) PS - and I don't expect you to answer this- but how do you actually work out that SA should be sitting on top of the tree right now?

Posted by hhillbumper on (June 14, 2012, 17:48 GMT)

Always good to have a considered response from Randy Oz. Talking off players on the slide what about your batting line up?

Posted by IndiaNumeroUno on (June 14, 2012, 17:36 GMT)

problem is, Swann is not actually a proper spinner, so no chance of being offered anything lucrative in the IPL.

Posted by JG2704 on (June 14, 2012, 17:08 GMT)

@the_blue_android on (June 14 2012, 16:44 PM GMT) So based on 2012 so far , I guess that explains why Indian players are looking disinterested in all 3 formats

Posted by Nadeem1976 on (June 14, 2012, 16:47 GMT)

I think it's wise for ICC to quit ODI after 2015 WC. History showed us that you can sustain only two format in cricket at a time. Before 1970 test cricket and first class cricket were there forever. After 1970 test cricket and odi were there and no importance to first class. Now it's time for ODI or test cricket to go away and put T2020 in. No three formats can sustain at one time at all in cricket.

Posted by the_blue_android on (June 14, 2012, 16:44 GMT)

Yeah. I understand where swanny is coming from. It's hard to be interested in a format in which you're not good at.

Posted by ansram on (June 14, 2012, 16:15 GMT)

You can have a lot of money or a lot of time with the family. It rarely works both ways. Many high paid professionals I personally know "see" their homes only while they are asleep at night. And many others do so only once in a while. There is a price to pay for trying to earn big pay checks. Some sacrificies are inevitable. Sportspersons who earn much higher than the layman must be prepared to take some sacrifices or sacrifice the stardom that comes with being a sportsman.

Posted by sweetspot on (June 14, 2012, 15:31 GMT)

Ho hum! The guy played, he made his money, now he is making his decisions about his life. Let him be. Let's wish him peace and prosperity for the rest of his life.

Posted by 2.14istherunrate on (June 14, 2012, 15:28 GMT)

Something about participation in IPL is that it knackers players quickly even if they do not fully participate. Colly for two summers hardly functioned after being in an IPL squad until he found a couple of weeks to rest in. KP is getting rest now. Half the Indian side turned up last year completely jaded. Such was the lure of it that Sehwag delayed a necessary operattion till it had ended and really let his country down. Perhaps it is time for IPL and ICC sat down and discussed its role in cricket and whether international cricket can get some sort of compromise from the IPL organizers.I personally feel that IPL at least has to obey international requirements without conditions and be totally beneath control of international bodies and be subservient-very. If I was in control they would have had to play it in Kazakhstan oir Outer Mongolia, but that's another story.

Posted by YorkshirePudding on (June 14, 2012, 15:25 GMT)

@jimmy2s, it all depends on the system used, I hate the Statistical nature of calcuating relative strength of teams. Also consider that England have played 13 series, of that tyhey have WON 9, Lost 2 and drawn 2 since the start of 2009, of that 6 series have been away from home. Compared to SA's who have played 10 series, Won 4, Drawn 5 and Lost 1, with 4 away series and 6 home series. England have a W/L ratio of 2.55 compared to SA's 1.25, England have won 23 of the 44 tests they played compared to SA's 10 from 26. Either way you perm it you have to ask how are SA considered the second best team when their ability to win is so poor.

Posted by Bruisers on (June 14, 2012, 15:22 GMT)

@Muhtasim13 - Hahaha well said mate.. Exactly what I was gonna say too.

Posted by Bruisers on (June 14, 2012, 15:21 GMT)

I guess Swann too will follow KP's footsteps and retire from limited-overs once he gets a bulky IPL contract :)

Posted by BifferSpice on (June 14, 2012, 15:11 GMT)

swann's awesome. that's about all there is to it.

Posted by Robster1 on (June 14, 2012, 15:07 GMT)

Time for ODI's to be put to bed. 50 over cricket is finished.

Posted by JG2704 on (June 14, 2012, 14:10 GMT)

@jimmy2s on (June 14 2012, 11:36 AM GMT) Not sure where you're going with this one. I know the ICC's ranking system reflects the ranking of the opponent a team is playing and I guess it would also reflect whether the series is home or away as obviously beating any team away is more likely to be harder than beating them at home. I'm guessing you are implying that Eng play significantly more at home than away. If that is the case - I make it that from Eng's last 14 series - 7 series have been at home and 7 have been away with 23 tests at home and 22 away. So if after 45 tests a team has played one more test at home than away from home = significantly more then you are absolutely correct. I look forward to your response

Posted by JG2704 on (June 14, 2012, 14:10 GMT)

@the_wallster on (June 13 2012, 15:58 PM GMT) It's called double standards bud

Posted by JG2704 on (June 14, 2012, 14:10 GMT)

@DannoTheManno on (June 14 2012, 08:42 AM GMT) - Not attacking anyone . I'm just putting my points across that SA haven't been that great either. I couldn't care less what perspective he's writing from - I'm saying that SA blew other opportunities to go ahead of England. Please tell me what part of what I wrote is incorrect? Look forward to your response. BTW we drew the last SA series in SA and won the won before in SA and SA won the last series in Eng so that kind of quashes your home advantages argument. Am I right? I'm not wrong

Posted by Muhtasim13 on (June 14, 2012, 13:09 GMT)

@ fan2011, so in your opinion cricketers shouldn't be allowed to get married and have children, so that they can play cricket every single day? you sir, are the most naive person i've come across in years.

Posted by applethief on (June 14, 2012, 11:36 GMT)

@JG2704 For all your faith in the ranking systems, it would be useful to understand how much its formulas skew towards sides playing at home (England), sides that play more test cricket (England) and how they take a disproportionately long time to reflect the current status of teams (England). If the rankings were determined by more useful criteria, England would have gone #1 after their last Ashes win, India would never have got there, and South Africa should have been sitting at the top for the past year

Posted by jt1206 on (June 14, 2012, 11:17 GMT)

My heart bleeds for professional sportsmen. The ordinary bloke working 50 hours a week for 40 years with 3 kids and a mortgage, has got it easy, he doesn't know he's born! Compare that to poor old Swanny & KP....all that money...it must be a burden, poor lambs.....

Posted by playerskills on (June 14, 2012, 11:02 GMT)

@Haleos why are you following cricket when you cannot appreciate that test cricket is where legends are made, and not One day cricket nor t20 where your career is as short as flower blossoming during summer, and which is the point Swann is making.

Posted by wibblewibble on (June 14, 2012, 10:46 GMT)

@Rexton87 - you work long hours, good for you. However, it is not comparable to a pro cricket player. Do you have to travel and stay in hotels for large parts of the year, away from your family?

I think neither KP nor Swann mind how many days cricket they are playing, it is that all they do is constantly travel to play cricket, and have a massively reduced family life as a consequence.

TBH, if I was married to either Mrs G. Swann or Mrs. K.P., I wouldn't want to be spending too many nights away either!

Posted by RogerC on (June 14, 2012, 10:28 GMT)

ECB is learning the might of IPL the hard way. The way it goes, in a year or two, all current England players will be taking retirement from English cricket.

Posted by Haleos on (June 14, 2012, 9:46 GMT)

@the_wallster -I gather u r either an english fan or from one of India's dear nieghbours. Check dhoni's stats and then comment. His poking and prodding is more effective than your star batsmen. Agree he is average in Tests(The so called best form of the game, where you score at a run rate of 2/over and make spectators sleep) but he is a wicket keeper. Did u check the stats of your wicket keepers some of whom belong to a whole family who can not catch the ball to save their life?

Posted by warnerbasher on (June 14, 2012, 8:49 GMT)

And Richror Swann's test bowling average is higher than Nathan Lyons and outside the spinning subcontinent Swann is deteriorating as all defensive bowlers tend to do. Still England are number 1 apart from the subcontinent and its up to SA and Oz to take top spot. My money is firmly on the Aussies.

Posted by DannoTheManno on (June 14, 2012, 8:42 GMT)

@JG2704 - You should probably read comments before you attack the writers. I think you will find that fr0nt-foot_lunge is speaking from an English perspective and not a South African one. "Me thinks he doth protest too much"... comes to mind. Lets just wait for your home series and see who comes out on top. Its probably your only chance anyway since the English are abysmal away from home.

Posted by fan2011 on (June 14, 2012, 8:35 GMT)

swanny if you do read this, here it is in simple english terms.. Its your job, your career, the one you chose to play.. so stop whinning out it and get on with life.. if you don't want to be away from your family and home, do what the rest of the world is doing, don't play cricket, start a 7/11 and go home to see your kids.. you talk as if you never had a choice.. so we are not going to feel sorry for you

Posted by JG2704 on (June 14, 2012, 8:11 GMT)

@ak2207 on (June 13 2012, 17:08 PM GMT) It's not a Mystical number 1 ranking. It's an independent body ranking teams based on results and scoring them depending on the results and who the teams play against. No one is saying that Eng are the WI of the 80s or Aus mid 90s-2006 and even Anderson just said they want to be remembered that way. What's wrong with a bit of ambition? I do agree that the media does go OTT but the fact is we are saying that Eng are the best at the moment and not because Eng are so great but because their nearest rivals are also underperforming at times

Posted by JG2704 on (June 14, 2012, 8:04 GMT)

@richardror on (June 13 2012, 16:55 PM GMT) Australia beat WI away (much harder than at home) by the same scoreline Eng beat them by at home , beat SL away (Eng just managing a draw) and came back to draw the series in SA.4or5-0 to either side in the next Ashes aint gonna happen and while RO's comms are unbalanced for Aus so are yours for Eng. Truth is that Eng/SA and Oz are very very close in terms of who is the best and who knows if Pak start playing in SA,Eng and Aus etc again they could also become a force

Posted by JG2704 on (June 14, 2012, 7:45 GMT)

@MattyP1979 on (June 14 2012, 01:11 AM GMT) Probably a bit premature getting carried away. Not long after our very poor tours of UAE and SL and we have only done what was expected vs WI. While SA are not the wreckingballs that some have put on here , they are still a very capable side who can do great things on their day and they are as capable away as they are at home. I do wish people would not make such bold predictions as in my short experience on here those who do quit posting while the team is struggling and then those who have not posted such comms get all the grief from other fans

Posted by Philippe on (June 14, 2012, 7:30 GMT)

& we call these players having good staminas.. they are preferring something else over their country.. not very wise from swann also.. if he is exhaust of this much cricket then wat would you say about players like sachin, ponting, dravid, mahela, kallis, sangakara & few more who are playing almost all forms of cricket since last 10-15 years..

Posted by Drew2 on (June 14, 2012, 6:49 GMT)

@richardror England is still a better side than Australia, but the gap has narrowed, not widened. Seems that people have forgotted a one all result in South Africa not long ago. If Australia's new young fast bowling stocks push on and avoid too much injury, the two sides above them in the rankings will be pushed. So enjoy it at the top while it lasts. I bet it won't last 15 years.

Posted by tjsimonsen on (June 14, 2012, 6:44 GMT)

@Rexton87: Sounds a bit like sour grapes to me. I'm a scientist who travels quite a bit too (in addition to long working days and weeks). Fortunately, I was able to cut down on my travels when my son was born. Swann's statement "I've got a kid being born at the end of the summer and I'm going to see her for a week in the first six months of her life" really nails down for me. No "sun in Jamaica" or "first class hotels" would be worth that loss to me (not that I ever stay in first class hotels). But it is Swann's job and he is doing it.

Posted by Ross_Co on (June 14, 2012, 4:41 GMT)

@richardror- surely you got your wish for a 5-Nil Ashes result only three series ago. Also Australia does have a bowler just like Finn - leaks runs like a tap & occasionally wins a match off his own arm - Mitchell Johnson. 'England' were certainly unlucky to lose a test in 2009, I think someone accidently locked the gate so they couldn't send out a runner every 90 seconds as per the first test.

Posted by simon_w on (June 14, 2012, 1:41 GMT)

@maximum6: you are right, of course -- I've worked long hours in factories, and what I do now is a hell of a lot easier and more pleasant, but I'd still swap with KP and Swannie in a heart-beat. Comments like "I've got a kid being born at the end of the summer and I'm going to see her for a week in the first six months of her life" do put it into some perspective, though. That would be a problem for me, frankly, that no amount of money would compensate. The honour of playing for my country would, to no small degree, but I can imagine choosing my wife and my children over my career.

Posted by MattyP1979 on (June 14, 2012, 1:11 GMT)

Test is best. These 2 players know this and have said as much. 50 over and 20 over cricket is a bit of fun but in the grand scheme of things who really cares. As for some of the laughable comments regarding Eng, we are number 1 because we are the best. What happens when we stuff SA/IND/AUS? Because if any of you lot think we will lose any of these series your off your collective heads. ENG no.1 and staying there lol.

Posted by jmcilhinney on (June 14, 2012, 0:48 GMT)

@maximum6 on (June 13 2012, 21:06 PM GMT), it's all very well saying that but we also think that rich and famous people should always be happy but they are some of the least happy people in the world. It's all relative. I'm a computer programmer and I love my job but there are plenty of days that I'd rather not get out of bed. I'm quite sure that pretty much every international cricketer loves playing cricket but there's a lot of other stuff that goes along with playing sport at that level and there are certainly sacrifices to be made. To assume that they should just put up with those things and shut up because we all wish we could be doing it is rather naive.

Posted by 2.14istherunrate on (June 13, 2012, 21:06 GMT)

There is one major phallacy about all this- these guys are doing a job most people would die for. Would they rather be trudging back and forward to some government department 9-5,sitting on a commuter train for 4 hrs/day or going through the factory gates everyday to stand on a production line. Maybe the body feels a bit tired-unsurprising at times- or the travel gets a bit overbearing but with the pay as good as it is they have everything to be grateful for and should be in seventh heaven most of the time. Their minds play tricks perthaps but really they sould be happy with their lot.

Posted by JG2704 on (June 13, 2012, 19:35 GMT)

@fr0nt-foot_lunge on (June 13 2012, 16:36 PM GMT) PS Australia beat Pak at home and not in UAE

Posted by JG2704 on (June 13, 2012, 19:31 GMT)

@fr0nt-foot_lunge on (June 13 2012, 16:36 PM GMT) Aww! -if it wasn't for rain in NZ eh? Seem to remember if Smith had been a bit more adventurous in the 3rd test with his declaration you might have captured the number 1 spot. Also Australia (or should I say the supposedly weak Australia - your words) didn't chase down a 300+ total against rain.SA dropped a test vs SL it wasn't Sri Lanka plus rain and your team were totally trumped by both Australia and Eng's performances vs India , not to mention your team's inability to take more than 13 wickets in 2 fully played 5 day tests in UAE. England were woeful in UAE and poor in SL but at least our fans admit as much. Maybe fans like yourself would do well to blame your stars for squandering tests/series rather than booing about other things?

Posted by Trickstar on (June 13, 2012, 18:49 GMT)

The fact is Andy Flower said exactly the same after we thrashed Oz to death in the last Ashes, it's a strange set of affairs when the players and the Coach are saying the same things but the ECB have seemingly got their fingers in their ears and don't care. All these boards are the same, money hungry to a extreme and they're killing the game. When the paying punters agree with the likes of KP & Swann about the one day schedule something has got to be done. Whoever scheduled this one day series against Oz needs sacking, my feeling this is at the crux of KP retiring. He probably wanted to be rested from the series or at least a few 50 over games during the course of the summer and the ECB decided to throw their weight around, when they told him who the boss was and they'll tell him when he's rested, he's thought sod them. Surely with you're best players you look to get the best out of them, if needed treat them with kid gloves just like the Indians do with Tendulkar.

Posted by yorkshirematt on (June 13, 2012, 18:07 GMT)

@randyoz I know you don't really find it sad to watch! I know I certainly didn't when you were on the decline. You're on the up now though and we're on the slide a bit already. We'd have had two maybe three innings wins against the windies if it was this time last year.

Posted by Rexton87 on (June 13, 2012, 17:59 GMT)

I have worked as a dcotor for 25 years in Britain working 48 hours at a stretch and sometimes longer. Now at 52 years of age I still work non stop from 730 am till 7pm everday. This in cricketing terms is equal to playing 2000 tests and 4000 ODIs. They get their rest periods in between matches, get out cheaply early and spend rest of the day dozing and doing nothing. If one or two batsmen play a long marathon innings the other players get rest,rest,rest.They stay in first class hotels travel comfortably and get a chance to soak up sunshine in locations like Jamaica,Australia,South Africa,India Duba without paying a penny. With minor sprains and muscle pulls they are rested and happily miss entire matches and yet get paid.I am really not sure what these softies complain about. They are detached from reality and dont know the meaning of true hard work.

Posted by ak2207 on (June 13, 2012, 17:08 GMT)

fr0nt-foot_lunge - finally - someone who speaks some sense. The English media is obsessed with this mystical No. 1 ranking and the comparison with the West Indies/Australia of old. Firstly there can be no comparison right now with these teams - Eng need to perform consistently many for years. Secondly how much pressure must it place on the team to keep hearing the need to "dominate world cricket for years" and that a 2-0 victory against this WI team is not good enough for this England blah blah. Be realistic for goodness sake. Eng have a very good cricket team and one that is potentially going to be the best. But they are not the aussies of the 90s/00s yet and they do not have "mcgrath and warne" yet

Posted by richardror on (June 13, 2012, 16:55 GMT)

@ RandyOZ - Onions and Finn would be the two best seam bowlers in Australia, as well as Swann being worshipped as a God due to the fact Australia simply cannot replace Shane Warne. The only teams in the world Onions and Finn can't get into would be England and South Africa. Now Australian fans have to sit on the sidelines and watch the two greatest sides duel it out because Australia is simply past it.

Looking forward to a fantastic, even series (hopefully the result will be 2-1!) to decide who is the best in the world. Then England can drub the aussies in the Ashes 5-0. They've been unlucky losing a match in the past two Ashes (winning 2-1 and 3-1) and the gap between the two sides now is so subtantial it will quite easily be 4-0 or 5-0.

Posted by FreddyForPrimeMinister on (June 13, 2012, 16:45 GMT)

Wise words from the team jester. It's also nice to see him back his team mate. It still seems crazy that the ECB can't accommodate KP (and others who play all three forms of the game) a little more by giving them rest periods. If they can do it for Jimmy Anderson, who basically doesn't play T20 and often not ODIs, then surely they could have been more understanding and accommodating of KP..?

Posted by Noball_Specialist on (June 13, 2012, 16:37 GMT)

A man has to get his priorities in order. Once they are in that order, it doesn't matter what anyone says because that's your prerogative.

Should the ECB decide Pieterson is no longer able to perform at the highest level or becomes a risk to team unity, it is within their powers to omit him from selection. That's the ECB's prerogative. Pieterson will know the situation.

All that said the ECB is a tortoise in goal, too slow to react and therefore destined to be useless.

Posted by Front-Foot_lunge on (June 13, 2012, 16:36 GMT)

There are some strange rumblings going on in the England cricket..and starting to join the dots, the future doesn't look too rosy.

Start with Anderson Christmas time comments about the English team being world beaters, and their subsequent pasting by Pakistan and laborious draw to Sri Lanka, (both teams the supposedly weak Australia dispatched) and it smacks of hubris.

This obsession with the 'Number 1 test ranking" has got to stop, mainly because if it wasn't for rain in New Zealand, we wouldn't be in the position!

The media then glosses over the winter failures and then the players get two expected wins over a West Indies lineup. Being at home though, those wins hardly look convincing.

There seems to be lots of papering over cracks here... both from the media and the players.

Now Pietersen resigns and now the team is starting to look unsettled. Players are dividing into factions, things are not looking rosy at all in camp England.

Posted by Narkovian on (June 13, 2012, 16:30 GMT)

I agree with Swann in most respects. I don't agree that "my body is killing me". It may be. But not from too much cricket per se. Its not the amount of cricket IMHO. .What must really get players down is the constant travelling and always being away from home. Both in their own country and abroad. Phsycologically stressful and depressing to be constantly in hotels away from family etc.. So come on ICC. For goodness sake cut down on the amount of pointless, forgettable and second rate series of ODIs, T20s , even Tests. Stop squeezing in extra tours here. there and everywhere. For example have 5 Tests against SA this summer only., Cancel WI tour. And cancel 5 ODI agaist AUS. All too much overkill. Less is sometimes more. When will ICC learn that? Make the players and indeed us watchers, look forward to a new series, instead of yawning. IMHO International cricket fixtures in all countries need cutting by at least 25%.. maybe more. For the sake of all our sanity.

Posted by the_wallster on (June 13, 2012, 15:58 GMT)

The people who were praising Kevin Pietersen's actions for being dismissive of the 50-over competition and retiring from it, where the same people slagging Graeme Swann for slating the 50-over competition this time last year. Probably because the vast majority were Indian and are obviously biased towards KP for his participation in the IPL. the 50-over format is coming to an end. And the best thing about it is? that with Dhoni's imminent retirement from Test cricket, we only have to watch him in one format from now on, instead of watching him poking and struggling in proper forms of cricket. Bonus.

Posted by RandyOZ on (June 13, 2012, 15:32 GMT)

KP made the right decision and finished his career when he was just starting to slide. Unfortunately Swann is continuing (owing in part to the glaring lack of depth in the current English bowling ranks) and it is really quite sad to watch. His listless performance against the Windies was only overshadowed by Onions/Finn's slaughtering at the hand's of the famed batsmen, Tino Best.

Posted by BEN-pak on (June 13, 2012, 14:56 GMT)

Yep, he knows which side his bread is buttered, Swann I mean!

ESPNcricinfo staffClose