1st Match, Singapore Challenge, Pak v NZ, Statistical Highlights
- It was the 1623rd ODI in cricket history.
- It was Pakistan's 477th and New Zealand's 349th match in ODI
- It was the 51st match between these two sides. The record now
reads: Pakistan 31, New Zealand 18, tied one and abandoned one.
- Umpires SK Bansal and VK Ramaswamy were officiating in their 27th
and 40th match respectively. It was also the 19th occasion Ramaswamy
was officiating in a match on foreign soil. He thus equalled
S Venkataraghavan's record of officiating in most 'away' matches.
- Atiq-uz-Zaman was making his debut for Pakistan. He became 134th
player to represent Pakistan in the shorter version of the game at the
- Kabir Khan was making a comeback in to Pakistan side after 21
months. He last played for Pakistan against Australia at Karachi
on 06-11-1998 thus missing 67 matches in between.
- Waqar Younis led Pakistan for the second time in his career.
His only other assignment as captain was against West Indies
at Sharjah on 05-11-1993 in his 76th match. Pakistan had lost that
match. Waqar now holds the record of missing most matches in between
two matches as captain.
- The wicket of Shahid Afridi was 50th for Daniel Vettori in his
55th match. He became 14th New Zealander and 122nd bowler to achieve
this landmark. At 21 years 206 days Vettori became the youngest for New Zealand to complete 50 ODI wickets. The previous record was in the name of Chris Harris who was 24 years 340 days old while taking his 50th wicket. Just for the record, Pakistan's Waqar Younis was just 18
years 358 days old when he took his 50th wicket - the youngest ever to
- Chris Cairns by conceding 48 runs in his five overs recorded the
most expensive figures by a New Zealander in a five over spell against
Pakistan. Interestingly the previous record was in the name of his father Lance Cairns, who returned the figures of 5-0-42-0 at Multan on 07-12-1984. Incidentally the record of most expensive five over spell for New Zealand is still held by Heath Davis who had the figures of 5-0-54-0 against India at Bangalore on 14-05-1997.
- The wicket of Adam Parore was 50th for Abdur Razzaq in the year
2000. He became first bowler to do so this year. Razzaq also became the 8th bowler to accomplish this feat which is the 10th occasion. The list comprises of three Pakistanis, two Australians, two Indians and one South African. For Pakistan this mark has been attained four times, thrice for Australia, twice for India and once for South Africa. Pakistan's Saqlain Mushtaq and Australia's Shane Warne have taken 50 wickets or more in a calendar year in ODIs on two occasions each.
- The catch of Parore by Younis Khan was 59th for Pakistan by a
- Arshad Khan's figures (5-0-45-3) are the most expensive by a
bowler in five over spell against New Zealand. Zimbabwean Paul Strang
had also conceded 45 runs in his five overs at Auckland on 08-03-1996.
- The Man of Match award was 13th for Ijaz Ahmed - his first against New Zealand.