9th Match, C & U Series: India v Pakistan, Statistical Highlights
- It was the 1547th ODI in cricket history.
- Darrel Hair was officiating in his 57th match,thus equalling RA
French tally. Now only Steve Randell (88), Tony Crafter (83) and
Peter McConell (68) have officiated in more matches than Hair for
- Sachin Tendulkar, when on 13, became the leading run scorer for
India in WSC/C&U matches. Tendulkar has an aggregate of 561 runs from
15 appearances at the end of this match and he surpassed Krish
Srikkanth's tally of 532 runs from 22 matches.
- Saurav Ganguly completed his 5000 runs in ODIs when his score
reached 85. He was playing his 131st match and 126th innings.He became
fourth Indian after Mohammad Azharuddin (9111 runs in 323 matches),
Sachin Tendulkar (8731 runs in 224 matches) and Ajay Jadeja (5044 runs
in 185 matches) and 25th batsman overall to do so.
- Ganguly is now the fourth quickest in terms of least innings taken
to complete 5000 runs after Viv Richards (114),Brian Lara (118) and
Gordon Greenidge (121).The previous Indian record was held by Sachin
Tendulkar who took 138 innings to reach this landmark. At 27 years 201
days,Ganguly is also the second youngest after Sachin Tendulkar who
did so when he was just 23 years 294 days old!
- Ganguly's innings was the highest for India against Pakistan
beating his own 124 at Dhaka on 18-01-1998.It was also the fourth
highest by any batsman against Pakistan after Brian Laras 153 at
Sharjah on 05-11-1993,Desmond Haynes 142* at Port-of-Spain on 18-03-
1988 and Graham Gooch's 142 at Karachi on 20-11-1987.
- Ganguly's innings was the highest for India and fifth highest in a
WSC/C&U match after David Gowers 158 (v NZ, Brisbane,15-01-1983),Adam
Gilchrist's 154 (v SL,Melbourne, 07-02-1999),Viv Richards 153*(v Aus,
Melbourne, 09-12-1979) and Dean Jones 145 (v En,Brisbane,16-12-1990)
.Incidentally the previous highest individual innings for India in a
WSC/ C&U match was also on the name of Ganguly when he scored 100
against Australia at Melbourne on 12-01-2000.
- The hundred was Gangulys second against Pakistan and 11th of the
career.He thus came on par with Gordon Greenidge,Viv Richards and
Aravinda DeSilva. Now only Sachin Tendulkar (24),Saeed Anwar (17),
Desmond Haynes (17),Mark Waugh (13) and Brian Lara (12) have scored
more ODI hundreds than Ganguly.
- Indias total (267-6) was its highest in a WSC/C&U match putting
into shade the previous highest of 263 for 5 against New Zealand at
Brisbane on 11-01-1986.
- The wicket of Moin Khan was 250th for Anil Kumble.He was playing
his 189th match.Kumble became second Indian and only the fourth bowler
in ODI history to reach this milestone after Wasim Akram (405 wickets
in 288 matches), Waqar Younis (290 in 180) and Kapil Dev (253 in 225)
.Just for the record,Wasim,Waqar and Kapil took 173,148 and 218
matches respectively to capture their 250 wickets.
- The ninth wicket stand of 72 runs between Azhar Mahmood and Abdur
Razzaq was Pakistan's best for this wicket against India.This
obliterated the previous record stand of 50 runs between Salim Malik
and Wasim Akram at Calcutta on 18-02-1987.
- Nine batsmen were out caught in Pakistan innings.It was the
third occasion when nine or more batsmen were out in an innings in
this fashion against India.Interestingly Pakistan was the other team
on all the three occasions.
- Ganguly won MoM award for the 19th time in his career.Now only
Sachin Tendulkar (35) has won more awards for India. Ganguly was
earlier at par with Mohammad Azharuddin.
- It was Ganguly's eighth award against Pakistan.He has now equalled
Brian Lara's record of winning most awards against Pakistan.