1st ODI, Zimbabwe v New Zealand, Statistical Highlights
- It was the 1627th ODI in cricket history.
- It was New Zealand's 351st and Zimbabwe's 158th ODI match.
- It was the 19th match between these two sides. The record now
reads: New Zealand 14, Zimbabwe 3, tied one and abandoned one.
- Umpires KC Barbour and GR Evans were officiating in their fifth
and eighth match respectively.
- Glen Sulzberger (born : 14-03-1973 at Kaponga, Left hand
batsman, right arm off break bowler) and Daryl Tuffey (born :
11-06-1978 at Milton, Right hand batsman and right arm fast medium
bowler) were making their ODI debut. They became the 113th and 114th
players to represent New Zealand in the shorter version of the game.
Incidentally Tuffey had already made his Test debut against Australia
at Hamilton in 1999-2000.
- Heath Streak captained Zimbabwe for the first time in a ODI
in his 99th match. He became the sixth Zimbabwean after Alistair Campbell
(76), Andy Flower (52), Dave Houghton (17), Duncan Fletcher (6) and John
Traicos (6). He now holds the dubious distinction of losing both his
first Test as well as ODI as captain.
- Zimbabwe's total (183-8) was its lowest against New Zealand at
home. The previous lowest was 211 in 44.1 overs at Harare on
05-10-1997. Incidentally Zimbabwe's all time lowest against New Zealand
is 138 in 49 overs at Wellington on 06-02-1998.
- Guy Whittall became the second Zimbabwean to be dismissed 'hit
wicket'. The other being Alistair Campbell who was out in this fashion
of the bowling of Australia's Shane Warne at Perth on 02-12-1994.
- Nathan Astle became the second New Zealander to dismiss a batsman as hit
wicket after Shayne O'Connor dismissed Sri Lanka's Romesh Kaluwitharana
at Colombo RP on 21-06-1998.
- Astle's figures (3 for 24) are the best for New Zealand against
Zimbabwe in Zimbabwe. This obliterates Dipak Patel's 3 for 26 at
Bulawayo on 31-10-1992.
- The third wicket partnership of 152 runs between Craig Spearman
and Roger Twose is New Zealand's best for this wicket against
Zimbabwe. This obliterates the previous record stand of 135 between
Nathan Astle and Twose at Auckland on 28-01-1996.
- Spearman's innings (86) is his highest in all ODIs. His previous
best was 78 against UAE at Faisalabad on 27-02-1996.
- Astle won the Man of the Match award for the 15th time in his career. Only Martin Crowe has won more MoM awards while playing for New Zealand - 20.
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.