Lancashire v Glamorgan, CB40, Old Trafford May 8, 2011

Rees hundred gives Glamorgan the points

Glamorgan 231 for 5 beat Lancashire 143 for 7 by 29 runs (D/L method)

Gareth Rees scored only his second one-day century as the Glamorgan Dragons secured their first win of the Clydesdale Bank 40 campaign with a 29-run victory over the Lancashire Lightning at Old Trafford.

The opener made 110 in just 103 balls as the visitors posted 231 for five after winning the toss. In reply Lancashire lost four wickets in a crucial five-over spell, leaving them behind on Duckworth/Lewis and, after heavy rain forced them off the field at 125 for 5, they returned needing 48 off three overs.

Glamorgan held their nerve, taking the wickets of Paul Horton and Glen Chapple as Lancashire finished on 143 for 7 from 28 overs. At one point Lightning were cruising at 91 for 1 and on course to reach their initial revised target of 229 off 39 overs after an earlier shower.

Lancashire's innings got off to a bad start with Stephen Moore edging the first ball from James Harris to Mark Wallace. Steven Croft smashed two sixes on his way to a 53-ball half-century as he and Karl Brown put on 90 before he was caught by Wallace off James Allenby.

Three overs later Brown was bowled by Will Owen, bringing to an end his run-a-ball 48. Allenby struck again in the next over as he bowled Farveez Maharoof and Gareth Cross followed six balls later, trapped lbw by Owen, who finished with three for 24. The slump proved crucial as it left Lightning well behind on rate after the heavy downpour.

Earlier Alviro Petersen led the early onslaught on the Lancashire attack, smashing England's Jimmy Anderson for a six. But the South African fell for 44 as he was trapped lbw by left-arm spinner Stephen Parry having put on 78 with Rees.

Rees should have followed for 39 soon after but Moore dropped a difficult catch in the deep after a reverse sweep off Simon Kerrigan. The Dragons opener made Lightning pay. He put on a quick-fire 58 with Allenby (30) for the second wicket before Anderson claimed his only wicket, sending Allenby's middle stump flying.

Stewart Walters was then run out after a mix-up with Rees to leave Glamorgan 150 for three. Graham Wagg put on 42 with Rees off just 30 balls, including a six into the pavilion off Maharoof by the former Derbyshire batsman, before he was caught at backward point by Croft off Parry.

Rees smashed two sixes off Kerrigan in the 37th over and he brought up his century in 96 balls. Parry claimed his third wicket as Ben Wright was stumped by Cross for two but it did not stop Glamorgan piling on 38 runs in the last four overs.