County news

Collingwood considered retirement after England axe

Jon Culley

April 4, 2012

Paul Collingwood heads for the batting nets, Bangalore, February 26, 2011
Paul Collingwood last played for England during the 2011 World Cup © Getty Images

Paul Collingwood has admitted he wondered if he had the will to continue playing after England effectively ended his international career when they dropped him from their one-day teams last summer, in the process stripping him of the Twenty20 captaincy.

"It came right out of the blue," Collingwood said. "There had been no inkling, so when Geoff Miller came to see me to tell me what had been decided I felt it was very, very harsh. It took me a while to get my head around it. You look at all the options and there was a point when I had to ask myself if I wanted to carry on."

Collingwood, under whose leadership England won their first international one-day trophy in the 2010 ICC World Twenty20, retired from Test cricket in January last year after helping England win the Ashes in Australia.

But after subsequently playing in the 50-over World Cup he believed he could continue his international career in one-day competitions and had not given much thought to what he might do if he was not given the chance.

"When you are in the England bubble your concern is only with playing and giving your best and you don't really focus much on the future. Suddenly I was out of that bubble and in the big wide world again.

"But I thought it was important to give myself time and not make a rash decision. Cricket is my skill, the career I had been working towards since I was 14 or 15 years old and going down a different route is not something you can do immediately."

Instead, Collingwood - who will be 36 next month - gave himself until the end of the season to determine how he felt, and found his appetite for the game at county level remained keen enough to accept the offer of a new three-year contract with Durham.

He has not given up hope yet of an England swansong, although he accepts that it would take "some miraculous performances" to force his way back into contention.

"I'm not bitter about what happened," he said. "I am a realistic man and accept that times move on and there comes a crossroads in everybody's career where the hierarchy are going to make decisions about you.

"I don't bear any grudge towards the management or the selectors. If you put yourself in their position you understand that they have to make calls that they consider to be in the best interests of the England team in the long term. But I think I need to keep it as a goal, to get back in the England side. It is a big motivational factor. There are things about being in the England side that I really, really miss and it would be silly to say I've retired.

"I realise I'm going to have to put in some miraculous performances but I still feel young, I still feel fit and I still feel I can contribute. You never know what might happen."

With that goal in mind, it has not helped that the planned third leg of his winter Twenty20 itinerary has effectively been cancelled after IPL franchise Rajasthan Royals, to whom he was contracted for a second year, told him he had little chance of seeing any action.

"Rajasthan called me up two or three weeks ago and said they had made four new signings, which gave them about nine or ten overseas players," he said. "They said they would fly me out immediately if they had a couple of injuries but said rather than drag me round India for seven weeks I should stay at home and play some cricket.

"They did not want to release me from the contract but I think it highly unlikely I will be going out, the way they were talking. I told them I would like to fight for my place but they were honest enough to say I was well down the pecking order. It is disappointing. If you are out there you can at least be in the nets and try to make an impact."

Collingwood had a more successful time in Australia, where he helped Perth Scorchers reach the final of the inaugural Big Bash League, and captained the newly-formed South African franchise Impi.

"It is the first April I've had in England for seven or eight years but it is exciting to be focusing on Durham" Paul Collingwood

"Perth was brilliant. Having the family out there was great and playing competitive cricket in front of big crowds was fantastic. Every game attracted about 20,000 spectators - and getting to the final means we will be in the Champions League.

"South Africa was different. There weren't the crowds and the team I captained consisted mainly of fringe players from other franchises and the challenge was to make them competitive. But I loved both competitions and hopefully there will be more opportunities next winter."

The change in his IPL plans makes Collingwood available for Durham for their opening County Championship match against Nottinghamshire next week, when he will reacquaint himself with playing cricket in England in April - his warm anticipation of which may have been cooling a little as snow fell at Chester-le-Street.

"It is the first April I've had in England for seven or eight years but it is exciting to be focusing solely on Durham. There were a couple of other offers and Derbyshire was one of the places mentioned but coming from the north-east, where my family is, and being a Shotley Bridge lad, I want to play for Durham.

"Durham are the people that gave me the opportunity to play international cricket. You want to give something back and hopefully I can pass on to the younger players some of the knowledge I have gained from playing around the world. But it isn't just about that because obviously I want to continue playing, win games for Durham and win some silverware."

Posted by cheese86 on (April 5, 2012, 6:23 GMT)

@jonesy has he learnt how to hit the pitch on a good legth and consistently ask questions of the batsmen.... no didnt think so! he will struggle to get into any aussie side in the future with their fast bowling stocks

Posted by anver777 on (April 5, 2012, 5:25 GMT)

Just forget the Eng team & continue playing only T20's globally which has become a trend nowadays..... wishing you a good IPL season !!!!!

Posted by   on (April 5, 2012, 4:22 GMT)

Collingwood don't shelve your enthusiasm but you must accept that you have "no chance" of ever getting back into the England team. The selectors' thinking surely is that it would be a a retrogresssive step, if you were recalled. Best of luck in your future endeavours. Your skills you displayed were tremendous. Feel it with you. I just experienced the same being retrenched as a driver at the age of 75. I just have to accept. Doors will always close and doors will open, just continue to be positive.

Posted by   on (April 5, 2012, 1:56 GMT)

Met him at the Durham media day on tuesday great guy, all the best for the season colly!

Posted by Lmaotsetung on (April 4, 2012, 22:33 GMT)

Glad he's playing county cricket and hope he can pass along some know how to the likes of Borthwick and Ben Stokes.

Posted by Behind_the_bowlers_arm on (April 4, 2012, 22:32 GMT)

I said at the time that England would miss Collingwood more than they imagined when he was dropped from the Test team. One of those players who puts his had up in a crisis ....... and there were plenty of those this winter.

Posted by yorkshire-86 on (April 4, 2012, 19:48 GMT)

The biggest gripe is not Collingwood getting dropped. Its who has replaced him. If some talented guy who was hitting runs for fun took his place fair enough, but its a guy who has been given around 60 lives at international level and proven nearly every time he is nowhere near good enough. Why do they think Bopara is 'talented' and 'will improve' when far better players get nowhere near the chances he does to show he has 'improved'? And as for his 'bowling', for 'useful medium pace' read 'slow pies with hit me written on them'. Pietersen, Trott, and indeed Collingwood all looked more likely to dismiss a batsman than Bopara. He is a flat track bully and nothing more.

Posted by maddy20 on (April 4, 2012, 19:34 GMT)

Unfortunately this is the way the English treat players who help them win stuff. His double in adelaide was almost Dravid like and T20 title was just an icing on the cake! And these English cricket fans boast that they always back their players. Cracks me up!

Posted by Unmesh_cric on (April 4, 2012, 18:35 GMT)

I like this bloke...a very gritty player. While fielding, he sometimes defies gravity...still remember his "flying catch" to get rid of Hayden.

Posted by mikey76 on (April 4, 2012, 16:59 GMT)

@RandyOz. If memory serves me correctly he scored a double hundred in Adelaide. Oh and stopped you winning the cardiff test in 09. I'd say he was a bit of a thorn in your side. Hands down the best gully/cover point of his era too. Dont see why people are trashing him, he is a gutsy fine cricketer who made the most of his talent.

Posted by   on (April 4, 2012, 16:36 GMT)

Collingwood considered retirement after England axe

Posted by Partyman on (April 4, 2012, 16:17 GMT)

Jonesy2 - you should stick to commenting on your lot. Your beloved Australian batting line up is struggling against WIndes 15th XI. What have you got to say about it?

Posted by   on (April 4, 2012, 14:00 GMT)

I think colly is a still great player and brillant fielder ...

Posted by AdrianVanDenStael on (April 4, 2012, 13:31 GMT)

Unimpressive cricketer though he is, I actually don't want Collingwood to retire: there are enough ex-England captains making second careers talking biased garbage in the media as it is. Jonesy2, since you ask, here's another question: Do you agree that if Mitch is going to dominate all these tournaments you talk about, he needs to bowl considerably better than he did in recording the match figures of 168 for 2 in that South Africa-Australia test you mentioned, and series figures of 255 for 3 (placing him at the bottom of the Australian bowling averages for the series), which profligate figures actually nearly helped cost his team the match and the series? (Thanks to the more impressive bowling and tail-end support Pat Cummins, however, Mitch did manage to help salvage the situation with 40 not out in the second innings of the second test.)

Posted by charlesandrewbudge on (April 4, 2012, 13:13 GMT)

@RandyOZ - Hardly the case, he hadn't exactly been in sparkling form during the previous English season either from what I remember. Colly has never been a consistent performer with the bat, rather a player who England could call on to save them from a crisis. Maybe that's why he didn't score too many runs in Oz in 2010/11?

Posted by   on (April 4, 2012, 12:50 GMT)

How he still gets games for anyone is a mystery. He hasn;t scored any runs of note in any form of the game, at any level, for a number of years. He was once a world class fielder, but that has gone to the dogs too.

I'd love to have his agent, that's for sure

Posted by shankarmony on (April 4, 2012, 12:35 GMT)

"considered" retirement? The guy has been dropped from all teams in his mid 30s and stripped of captaincy too...what is newsworthy about his "considering" retirement?

Posted by FRRR on (April 4, 2012, 11:31 GMT)

He should retire now. International Cricket has ended for him. bye BYe

Posted by Vilander on (April 4, 2012, 11:28 GMT)

Paul you will always be the first Eng captain who won a big international tournament, with world 2020, and you deserved it the most as a man to do that. RR could have handled him a little better, their bench strength is not exactly something to rave about. But again Paul proves how much of a good chap he is, so straight forward and honest. Hope you earn your Eng swansong. Best of Luck.

Posted by   on (April 4, 2012, 11:23 GMT)

Collingwood is a man who gave England his all, with all that he had. He strived to maintain form during his England years and I believe who made England a stonger team for it, they still haven't found that Linchpin in the side whom can gut out 500 odd balls for the draw or score a important runs to snatch a win from the jaws of defeat. I think Paul has been treated rather harshly by the selectors, he was captain of the winning world t20 side and has given England the impetus it needed to reach the world number one rankings which look like they will lose it. Everyone talks about the players who score classy stylish runs or take wickets in numbers, but nobody ever talks about the players or player in this instance who would of got England out of trouble, or took an important wicket. Paul is an excellent fielder and well I wish there were more cricketers like him. He's a sporting hero of mine and will be even if England don't want him.

Posted by Sanjiyan on (April 4, 2012, 11:13 GMT)

@jonesy2 Yes Mitch won it for the aussies, but not with his bowling. I have never liked collingwood, but i respect the way this bloke drops anchor and puts up a wall. He's one of the main reasons all the english fans can gloat about being nr.1 in tests and this is his thanks.

Posted by Nair_saab on (April 4, 2012, 10:40 GMT)

If the Rajastan royals don't want to 'drag him round India for seven weeks', why did they sign him up? RR is a terrible franchise which doesn't want to spend money & if by-chance they win(1st season) the owners will be on every news channel explaining their tactical brilliance

Posted by   on (April 4, 2012, 10:39 GMT)

He reached expiry date. he should plan accordingly.

Posted by jonesy2 on (April 4, 2012, 10:08 GMT)

Meesey -- hes recovering from an injury sustained while he was winning a test match for australia against south africa, just about to go to india and dominate for mumbai, then go and dominate the pommy t20 tournament in a bid to try and win a spot on australia's world t20 side. any other questions?

Posted by   on (April 4, 2012, 10:01 GMT)

great all raunder paul collingwood..............

Posted by Meesey on (April 4, 2012, 8:51 GMT)

I bet that was all he was thinking about when he was walking around the SCG on that final morning of the 2011-2012 Ashes series. Also I don't recall playing Australia in his last International tournament. How is Mitchell Johnson by the way RandyOZ ?

Posted by jonesy2 on (April 4, 2012, 8:43 GMT)

i dont mide collingwood but to be honest he should have retired. was cringe-worthy to watch him trying to play in the BBL. but then it was equally as difficult to watch jade dernbach.

Posted by RandyOZ on (April 4, 2012, 8:20 GMT)

Another career effectively ended by the bowlers from downunder.

County Results
Hampshire v Warwickshire at Lord's - Sep 15, 2012
Hampshire won (lost fewer wickets)
Derbyshire v Hampshire at Derby - Sep 11-14, 2012